Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I would have bought a 6 plus instead of a 6 if they named it iPhone Large.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
Does anyone have a recommendation for a good battery case for the iphone 6? Will screen protectors fit with the case on? I'm afraid the built in battery won't last me through the day, and I don't want to carry a battery pack in my pocket. I know the plus has a larger battery, but it just felt too big in my hands when I was playing around with it.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Super Dude posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good battery case for the iphone 6? Will screen protectors fit with the case on? I'm afraid the built in battery won't last me through the day, and I don't want to carry a battery pack in my pocket. I know the plus has a larger battery, but it just felt too big in my hands when I was playing around with it.

Are you having issues? I know the 6 battery isn't as long lasting as the 6 plus, but I'm pretty sure you should be able to get a full day of fairly heavy usage. Check which apps are using the most power. Most people find FB is horrendous at leeching your battery with its lovely background refresh.

All else fails, I'd have Apple look at it if you live near a store.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
I work 12 hour days with a regular six. I generally average about 20-30 minutes of phone use per hour and leave with anywhere from 20-40% depending.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

flosofl posted:

Are you having issues? I know the 6 battery isn't as long lasting as the 6 plus, but I'm pretty sure you should be able to get a full day of fairly heavy usage. Check which apps are using the most power. Most people find FB is horrendous at leeching your battery with its lovely background refresh.

All else fails, I'd have Apple look at it if you live near a store.

Sorry, I wasn't very clear. I don't own the phone yet, I'm planning on picking it up tomorrow. My questions were based on reviews and comments I've seen. Is it a 14 day return policy for phones?

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Damo posted:

Wow, don't know what is going on with all you dudes, but Touch ID works like, fantastically well for me and always has. I have it set up for my thumb and index finger on both hands and it only fails me when I don't put enough of the pad of my finger on it, which is my own fault.

Seriously TouchID is like magic.

Agreed.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Super Dude posted:

Sorry, I wasn't very clear. I don't own the phone yet, I'm planning on picking it up tomorrow. My questions were based on reviews and comments I've seen. Is it a 14 day return policy for phones?

It's 14 days from Apple except that we're in the holiday return period so you have until January 8 to return.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Where can I buy an unlocked 128gb iphone6 for $850? It's listed on Consumer Cellular, but it's out of stock. https://www.consumercellular.com/Info/Phones?selectedPhoneId=590

vvv Yeah I know, but who has it in stock? The apple website makes it sound like you have to get it through T-mobile.

Pomplamoose fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Nov 28, 2014

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

That's the normal price for the 128gig model though. So anywhere?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

Where can I buy an unlocked 128gb iphone6 for $850? It's listed on Consumer Cellular, but it's out of stock. https://www.consumercellular.com/Info/Phones?selectedPhoneId=590

vvv Yeah I know, but who has it in stock? The apple website makes it sound like you have to get it through T-mobile.

No, you just select T-mobile, but there's no contract or commitment as far as I can tell. You either get it shipped or pick it up at the Apple store. A lot of them say X weeks to ship, but if you have a preferred Apple store on their web site, a lot times you'll see "immediately" for the availability for pick-up. That being said, I imagine all their stock will be gone tomorrow so I'd either order it today or wait until Monday to see if you do a pickup.

I just ordered a 64 GB 6 plus on Tuesday because the 16GB just wasn't enough space due it taking over a lot of duties that were done on the iPad (giving 16GB phone to family member. Merry Christmas, Dad!) It said 3-4 weeks to ship to my door, but told me it was available for pickup at the local Apple store. Sure enough I got an email saying it was ready before the store even opened on Weds.

Note: That model will not work on Verizon, but it should be fine on any other network.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
I stopped by the apple store this morning trying to pick up an iPhone 6 for full price for Verizon, but they said they were out of stock. The Verizon store near me has some, but they have a sizeable restocking fee if I decide I don't like it. Is there anywhere else I can go to get one without a contract that doesn't have a restocking fee?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Super Dude posted:

I stopped by the apple store this morning trying to pick up an iPhone 6 for full price for Verizon, but they said they were out of stock. The Verizon store near me has some, but they have a sizeable restocking fee if I decide I don't like it. Is there anywhere else I can go to get one without a contract that doesn't have a restocking fee?

If you go anywhere else you'll likely pay more up front for the ease of maybe returning it later.

Other places will probably charge a markup on the full-retail price, because they don't get any kind of wholesale discount on the phone and they expect to make their money on commissions earned from signing customers up for multi-year agreements. For instance, the Verizon 64GB iPhone 6 at Best Buy is $799 instead of $749.

I thought the restocking fee at a corporate Verizon shop was just $35? That seems like worth the gamble to me, personally, at least in terms of time saved by not having to camp the Apple Store for inventory.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

kitten smoothie posted:

Other places will probably charge a markup on the full-retail price, because they don't get any kind of wholesale discount on the phone and they expect to make their money on commissions earned from signing customers up for multi-year agreements. For instance, the Verizon 64GB iPhone 6 at Best Buy is $799 instead of $749.

I just spoke with Best Buy, and they will normally price match the phone down to $749 if you ask, but they don't do price matching between black friday and cyber monday. Seems sort of stupid when $749 is the normal price, but I guess they can't break policy.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Is there any place where I can see a comparison between iPhone contracts that isn't intentionally designed to confuse me or written in opaque tech blogger language. Thanks

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

sum posted:

Is there any place where I can see a comparison between iPhone contracts that isn't intentionally designed to confuse me or written in opaque tech blogger language. Thanks

Try just reading the words?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

sum posted:

What, specifically, are you having trouble with?

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Endless Mike posted:

What, specifically, are you having trouble with?

It's extremely difficult to compare the cost of a 3-phone contract

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

sum posted:

It's extremely difficult to compare the cost of a 3-phone contract

The general overview goes something like:

T-mobile will be least expensive but you'll need to verify they have coverage where you'll spend most of your time.

Att will be more expensive but have much better coverage.

Verizon is most expensive and has the most comprehensive (though not always the fastest) coverage.

The above assumes like (or close to it) service plans. Devices don't really factor into it because all three have options where you finance the device interest free for a period of time, so in the end, you pay the same for the phone.

There are exceptions but that's the gist of it.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Brock Landers posted:

T-mobile will be least expensive but you'll need to verify they have coverage where you'll spend most of your time.

Verizon is most expensive and has the most comprehensive (though not always the fastest) coverage.

The above assumes like (or close to it) service plans. Devices don't really factor into it because all three have options where you finance the device interest free for a period of time, so in the end, you pay the same for the phone.

What about Sprint?

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

Bum the Sad posted:

What about Sprint?

Lol

Edit: Don't sign a 2 year contract with Sprint.

Brock Landers fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Nov 29, 2014

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
Picked up my iphone 6! What are some recommended cases? I don't need an otterbox, just something thin to keep the basic scuffs and scratches away.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Brock Landers posted:

Lol

Edit: Don't sign a 2 year contract with Sprint.

Why? I've had AT&T from back when they were the only iPhone provider but had Sprint before that. What's wrong with them?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Super Dude posted:

Picked up my iphone 6! What are some recommended cases? I don't need an otterbox, just something thin to keep the basic scuffs and scratches away.

Apple leather.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Brock Landers posted:

Thank you, this is what I was looking for

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Bum the Sad posted:

Why? I've had AT&T from back when they were the only iPhone provider but had Sprint before that. What's wrong with them?

It's best summed up as Sprint being your local Blockbuster or a movie store that will only sell VHS.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

sum posted:

Thank you, this is what I was looking for

Sure. Couple more things:
The "middle of the road" plans (10-15 gig of shared or total data) are going to be very closely priced across competitors. It's when you need more or less data that they really diverge like I explained.

All carriers offer unlimited talk/text on their mainstream plans so that's effectively a wash.

T-Mobile is the only one that doesn't do a shared data bucket deal. Each line gets its own high speed data bucket, but it's unlimited at a (much) slower speed after you run out. The others have overage charges when you run out.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Bum the Sad posted:

If you're feeling nostalgic, nothing at all; you can sign a Sprint contract and it's like you're suddenly back in 2006!

Or just hit the coverage map and note that (a) unlike everyone else, Sprint's national map denotes LTE areas with pins, and (b) once you zoom in a couple clicks, the whole goddamn country is roaming.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone have experience with Apple's mail-in battery replacements for iPhone? How fast is it?

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

A while back in this thread someone had posted a link to a great wallpaper site that supported the 6 and 6+, but I forgot the name of the site and cannot find the post. Anyone happen to remember?

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
Last night I managed to break my iphone's digitizer. Everything else is working fine, I just can't use the touch screen. Is it possible to answer calls without a functioning touch screen? It'll be a couple days before I can get it repaired.

Phantom Limb
Jun 30, 2005

blargh

slogsdon posted:

Last night I managed to break my iphone's digitizer. Everything else is working fine, I just can't use the touch screen. Is it possible to answer calls without a functioning touch screen? It'll be a couple days before I can get it repaired.

Use the headphone controls?

Amber Alert
Aug 28, 2009

fuk cyka

empty baggie posted:

A while back in this thread someone had posted a link to a great wallpaper site that supported the 6 and 6+, but I forgot the name of the site and cannot find the post. Anyone happen to remember?

Interfacelift.com maybe?

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Amber Alert posted:

Interfacelift.com maybe?

That's the one. Thanks!

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Is there a reason why, among the millions of apps I can now send a photo to from the photo album app, dropbox isnt one of them? It seems so obvious am i missing something?

Or have Dropbox just not updated their app yet?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

It looks like Dropbox just hasn't updated their app to include a share extension.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
Anyone else notice Touch ID becoming way more finicky since the last update? Wiped the sensor, washed my hands. I deleted and added my thumb again but that didn't seem to do anything. It was working great before so don't think it's a hardware issue.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

serebralassazin posted:

Anyone else notice Touch ID becoming way more finicky since the last update? Wiped the sensor, washed my hands. I deleted and added my thumb again but that didn't seem to do anything. It was working great before so don't think it's a hardware issue.

Working fine for me

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008

serebralassazin posted:

I think it got a little more picky with the latest update, I seem to be getting fails much more frequently when I hardly had any since I bought the phone.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Touchid working 100% here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Yuuuuup, unless my sensor is smudged, it works fine for me, and when it is smudged, I just wipe it off with my shirt and then it works fine. I have had zero problems with TouchID not working consistently since I got my 6.