Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

Nitr0 posted:

Shut the gently caress up DAF

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

nah I probably won't post here anymore so don't worry about it; I have no reason to post here so just forget it... Lurking from now on.

I like to lurk but KC green, moot, garry, etc; were right when you do 12$/oz because people want to talk to you who cares? I won my battles; and I did what I needed.

If I post after this post in this thread: permaban me really do not care

If you perma:toxx: yourself here how will you :toxx: yourself when you don't make vMWare Turbo Architect Super Saiyan?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

GOOCHY posted:

I know that psydude met up with him once out in Virginia or something. Was he that bad in person?

TBH he was your fairly average IT guy in person. We talked shop and about cars for a bit and he paid for my dinner and beers, so he was a cool enough person to hang out with, if not a bit too interested in talking about IT. Not sure why he melts down in here once a month.

I guess one of the things I like about this thread and this forum is that once people succeed, they turn around and help everyone else to do the same. While he was at one point a contributor, DAF's new "gently caress you, got mine" attitude runs pretty contrary to this, which is a shame

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Bigass Moth posted:

I don't know if this is a bullshit chatbox thread or actually useful for advice, but I'll try anyway. I already have a bachelor's degree in a technical field and am currently working for a computer infrastructure company after having to switch fields. It turns out I really enjoy what I'm doing and am considering going back to school for a second Bachelor's (or more?) in IT, specifically systems or network engineering. I am also considering programming though I have zero background in that beyond some HTML 15 years ago.

This may be broad and I know I will have to discuss my specifics with potential schools, but what would I need to look at when choosing an education path towards higher-level IT stuff coming from a background with essentially no engineering or computer classes? What should I look for in terms of online classes to actually learn anything?
IT is still a field where the technology is too specific and moving too quickly for general IT education curricula to catch up, so while an IT degree may be worth having, it's not nearly as valuable as actual experience in the field. My recommendation (based on the path that's worked for me) is to go Computer Science instead, and use your school time on the development track instead of the IT track, because it will give you foundations in software development that will broadly apply to any kind of systems and network troubleshooting. Look for quality internships or entry-level positions that give you good learning opportunities on the IT side, and study for some entry-level certifications (CCNA, etc.) wherever you find time.

It seems that we're largely moving away from the era of a person in front of a computer screen configuring a single server or network switch. Much of what's being done in infrastructure now revolves around automation and orchestration of lots of devices, which means that above-average scripting and development skills will give you a gigantic edge up over your competition in the field.

e: if you're young enough, the second Bachelor's is a good route, especially if you don't need to re-take your core classes. If you're older and don't have time to pursue that along with the side certifications, internships, etc. along with family or other obligations, consider the internship+certification route that CloFan suggests below.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Nov 29, 2014

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Bigass Moth posted:

I don't know if this is a bullshit chatbox thread or actually useful for advice, but I'll try anyway. I already have a bachelor's degree in a technical field and am currently working for a computer infrastructure company after having to switch fields. It turns out I really enjoy what I'm doing and am considering going back to school for a second Bachelor's (or more?) in IT, specifically systems or network engineering. I am also considering programming though I have zero background in that beyond some HTML 15 years ago.

This may be broad and I know I will have to discuss my specifics with potential schools, but what would I need to look at when choosing an education path towards higher-level IT stuff coming from a background with essentially no engineering or computer classes? What should I look for in terms of online classes to actually learn anything?

A lot of people in this thread don't have IT degrees; for instance, I have a degree in physics that has nothing to do with my job. A degree will basically mark a checkbox in HR to get you an interview. Experience is what really matters in this field. To educate yourself, you need to look into Certifications. They're cheaper and (arguably) easier than full-blown college, and are geared toward much more specific and useful topics. There's a Certs thread here in shsc somewhere.

What exactly are you doing now? Does your company offer any kind of tuition reimbursement, or would they be willing to pay for certification tests?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

psydude posted:

DAF's new "gently caress you, got mine" attitude runs pretty contrary to this, which is a shame

I know a few IT folks with this attitude. It blows.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Bigass Moth posted:

It's generally pretty useful when DAF isn't doing his party trick.

If you survey the thread you'll probably find a lot of people with no educational background in technology. It's not really required, and for stuff like networking and systems the fields change so fast that colleges can struggle to keep courses relevant beyond the basics.

Even with an IT focused degree you'll be starting at the bottom, either as helpdesk or, if you're lucky, a junior admin. Will your current company allow you to move into a position like that? If so, then I would forgo seeking an additional degree, because it won't get you anything other than a better shot at landing that first job.

If you still want to pursue a second bachelors, most colleges have a program or two focused on information systems that will include courses on things like networking, operating systems design, relational databases, Unix, etc. A good sampling of those courses will give you an idea of what you like and what you want to focus on, as well as making you a better admin, since you generally need to understand how all of the pieces interconnect to build systems or troubleshoot.

If you decide programming is your thing then ignore all of the above, go back to school for a CS degree, and learn how to program properly. Good classes on algorithms and programming principles will be very valuable and it's much harder to get into programming without a degree.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Misogynist posted:

It seems that we're largely moving away from the era of a person in front of a computer screen configuring a single server or network switch. Much of what's being done in infrastructure now revolves around automation and orchestration of lots of devices, which means that above-average scripting and development skills will give you a gigantic edge up over your competition in the field.
I would agree that many IT infrastructure jobs, specifically those from a service provider of some kind, are going this way, but your average 100 to 10000 employee business is going to have appserver1 for dept A that needed a windows admin to configure things on it and then check it regularly to ensure compliance with x, y, and z requirement. It's going to involve lots of one off things and won't be highly automated beyond step 1) clone from template. Then again, as more and more products move to a SaaS model, your average 10000 company is going to end up with two admins and a helpdesk.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
Neo Dilbert is basically Michael Cera wearing a leather jacket in Arrested Development

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Thank gently caress I'm not his cousin

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Aside from the best-seller on Amazon what's a good interview prep book? I need to focus on more social as opposed to technical questions and remember to keep my autism level to a minimum.

I swore someone posted something a month or two ago but I can't find it, I thought it was DarkHelmut.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Bigass Moth posted:

Echoing others, but don't do a second undergrad. Spend the time and money on certs instead. If you want formal I would go for a trade school program with lots of bundled certs over a degree.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

KennyTheFish posted:

Echoing others, but don't do a second undergrad. Spend the time and money on certs instead. If you want formal I would go for a trade school program with lots of bundled certs over a degree.

What about a master's?

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

There is nothing tougher than a tough Mexican, just as there is nothing gentler than a gentle Mexican, nothing more honest than an honest Mexican, and above all nothing sadder than a sad Mexican. -R. Chandler.

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

What about a master's?

Seconding this. I'm seriously thinking getting a master in project management as they seem to pull in decent money. I'm all for less work for more pay. So, essentially Wally.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Thanks for all the help guys! I'm going to ask around at work and see what kind of options I may have if I decide to get certs instead of a cs degree in addition.

I went through the Cert thread and have a few questions. My employer may pay for some of these (I need to ask) but what career level/pay grade can I expect if I start with just A+ and N+ certifications? I currently do sales support for enterprise server solutions (like I said, starting over in a different industry) -- what would be a good path of certs to go down when dealing with the largest stuff from EMC and Cisco?

Bigass Moth fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Nov 30, 2014

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
A graduate degree can be helpful, but generally it is a long term investment in terms of what it can do for your career. Obviously, that is a general statement for a broad subject, but as you consider getting an advanced degree, know that over 50% of people who start one never finish it. And if you are working full time while taking classes, it can be a very heavy burden. Of course it depends on the school, program, and courses, but generally graduate degrees are no joke and will own your life for 1-3 years.

I did a professional 4 quarter Master's program that was just under a calendar year while I was working full time. It can be very hard to balance work, school, and life, but it certainly can be done.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I didn't quite see the utility of a straight IT MS, so I elected for an MS in Systems Engineering, which I'm starting this spring. It rolls together some of the more IT focused classes with offerings in computer science, electrical engineering, and project management, which I felt would be more beneficial to where I am/where I want to go in my career, especially given what Misogynist said earlier on the page.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Bigass Moth posted:

Thanks for all the help guys! I'm going to ask around at work and see what kind of options I may have if I decide to get certs instead of a cs degree in addition.

I went through the Cert thread and have a few questions. My employer may pay for some of these (I need to ask) but what career level/pay grade can I expect if I start with just A+ and N+ certifications? I currently do sales support for enterprise server solutions (like I said, starting over in a different industry) -- what would be a good path of certs to go down when dealing with the largest stuff from EMC and Cisco?

A+/N+ seems like they would be way below your level of experience. Usually got get those to get your foot in the door. I know you're saying is starting over in a different industry but your experience should account for more than one if those certifications will get you. I could be wrong (probably am) but it doesn't seem like you should be taking too big of a step backwards if you do it right.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Thanks, what certs should I look into first?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Bigass Moth posted:

Thanks, what certs should I look into first?

CCNA for Cisco stuff. Some kind of OS cert would probably be beneficial, like RHEL or and MCSA.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
While we are on the topic of certifications, is it better to list them in their own section on your resume, or should they be incorporated into an education section? Should I provide a license number to let people verify it?

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I can't speak to the first, but to your second question, no, no one cares enough to verify your certification.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

Drunk Orc posted:

While we are on the topic of certifications, is it better to list them in their own section on your resume, or should they be incorporated into an education section? Should I provide a license number to let people verify it?

I list certs first, then my liberal arts BS, work experience, and technical skills all in separate sections respectively. Went with a well known professional on SA

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Drunk Orc posted:

The only certification that anyone bothers to verify is the CCIE/CCDE.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

psydude posted:

The only certification that anyone bothers to verify is the CCIE/CCDE.
VCDX and RHCA, also. Basically anything where the number of certified engineers worldwide is in the five or fewer digits range.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER
I got burned once because I didn't bring wallet cards to an interview, but that was probably a special case of stupid.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Contingency posted:

I got burned once because I didn't bring wallet cards to an interview, but that was probably a special case of stupid.

How could that burn you? Did the interviewer not want to take the few moments it would take to look yours up?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Contingency posted:

That work environment does sound like a special kind of stupid.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

Sickening posted:

How could that burn you? Did the interviewer not want to take the few moments it would take to look yours up?

The way the interview went was:

"You said you were certified. Did you bring your cards?"
"No, but I sent your company a link to my MCP transcript earlier."
"Cards are important. You should have brought them."

Misogynist posted:

That work environment does sound like a special kind of stupid.

Car dealership.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Contingency posted:

Car dealership.

Sounds like a former car salesman got promoted to management.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
Did something crazy and applied for a Tech support position while Certless

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Race Realists posted:

Did something crazy and applied for a Tech support position while Certless

What's the worst that could happen? You get hired and move up quickly till you're moderately successful. Lose track of friends and family for your career. Brag about doing minuscule daily tasks like they're a big deal and start poo poo posting in the forums under the name dilbert as gently caress?

Ok that's worst case.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
i honestly have no idea what the gently caress hes talking about half the time

TWBalls posted:

Join the LinkedIn goon group and you'll no longer have to wonder.

link please

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Dec 1, 2014

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Contingency posted:

The way the interview went was:

"You said you were certified. Did you bring your cards?"
"No, but I sent your company a link to my MCP transcript earlier."

Car dealership.
I have like ten certs - they came with cards?

I'm probably not getting that job either...

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I don't know if there's a way to share it directly but search for SA IT Mentoring Group.

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I have like ten certs - they came with cards?

I'm probably not getting that job either...

Cisco provides wallet cards for CCNP and CCNA. Regarding verification, we verify all of our certifications since we need a certain number to maintain partner status with various vendors.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

Tab8715 posted:

I don't know if there's a way to share it directly but search for SA IT Mentoring Group.

https://www.linkedin.com/groups?home=&gid=6535747

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
I have a dilemma. After six months of job hunting, it seems everything is hitting at once. I was contacted on Tuesday by a recruiter for a telecommute database job that sounds really promising. And I have a phone interview with a local database job this coming Tuesday. I'm a PHP/MySQL developer but I've been thinking about transitioning fully to database work.

And I really, desperately want out of my current position.

So, the rub. Last week, a recruiter I've been talking to found a place in Des Moines, two hours away. It would be a PHP job, and be a likely sixty percent raise, but... it's not a commute I can do daily, and I can't move my family there yet, so I'd probably be spending most of the week in a cheap or extended stay hotel for a while. This is not an ideal situation, yet even after all that I'll still be pulling in more than I currently am.

And they want to meet me and make an offer tomorrow. (Monday)

Now, I'm kind of sick and have had no voice since Thanksgiving, which would give me a perfect excuse to postpone (I told the recruiter last week I was feeling ill so this wouldn't come out of nowhere).

Basically, I would SO much prefer one of the db jobs (telecommute or local) than deal with this DSM job, yet I think I would still take it if it were the only option. I think of it as my safety school.

I guess my question is, is it kosher to try to accelerate the process on the other two jobs? Possibly using the DSM offer as leverage? Or are they unlikely to do that when admittedly still in the early stages of looking at me? And should I take advantage of my voice situation and simply delay visiting them until after my other interviews?

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Golbez posted:

I have a dilemma. After six months of job hunting, it seems everything is hitting at once. I was contacted on Tuesday by a recruiter for a telecommute database job that sounds really promising. And I have a phone interview with a local database job this coming Tuesday. I'm a PHP/MySQL developer but I've been thinking about transitioning fully to database work.

And I really, desperately want out of my current position.

So, the rub. Last week, a recruiter I've been talking to found a place in Des Moines, two hours away. It would be a PHP job, and be a likely sixty percent raise, but... it's not a commute I can do daily, and I can't move my family there yet, so I'd probably be spending most of the week in a cheap or extended stay hotel for a while. This is not an ideal situation, yet even after all that I'll still be pulling in more than I currently am.

And they want to meet me and make an offer tomorrow. (Monday)

Now, I'm kind of sick and have had no voice since Thanksgiving, which would give me a perfect excuse to postpone (I told the recruiter last week I was feeling ill so this wouldn't come out of nowhere).

Basically, I would SO much prefer one of the db jobs (telecommute or local) than deal with this DSM job, yet I think I would still take it if it were the only option. I think of it as my safety school.

I guess my question is, is it kosher to try to accelerate the process on the other two jobs? Possibly using the DSM offer as leverage? Or are they unlikely to do that when admittedly still in the early stages of looking at me? And should I take advantage of my voice situation and simply delay visiting them until after my other interviews?

I'm useless in this question but have you looked at MySQL. They telecommute most of their dbas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
I always end my interviews by saying "As you're on the market, you probably have other applications going as well. If any of them start to heat up, please keep us in the loop and we'll do what we can to try and keep our hiring process in sync with you, so that you can make a clear decision at the end"

Tell the jobs you want that you've got a strong looking candidate already, but you're very interested in what they may have to offer. If it ends up that you were only in their 'maybe' pile, they'll probably give you a quicker No answer and you'll be able to move on. Buying yourself a little bit of extra time with the 'safety' job by telling them you're monstrously sick, incapable of talking, and probably contagious, wouldn't hurt matters though as far as I can tell.