Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Look, we all know what Jenova really is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjIXwkX1e48

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

NikkolasKing posted:

Also, while I appreciate the effort Squall_of_SeeD and others put into translating the FF Ultiminaias, I wish someone would translate Chrono Cross' Ultimania. There's a game that actually needs a giant "this is what really happened" guide.

I'd still love a translation for Legend of Mana's since that's probably the only official thing that actually explains poo poo about that game's insane crafting system.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

It's largely a waste of time. Back in 2004 when Advent Children first came out, I was embroiled in teh Jenova vs. Sephiroth argument with a lot of my fellow lifeless nerds and we turned to the translated Ultimanias to settle the dispute. I sided with Jenova absolutely at the time because...I dunno why. These days, I don't really care.

Also, while I appreciate the effort Squall_of_SeeD and others put into translating the FF Ultiminaias, I wish someone would translate Chrono Cross' Ultimania. There's a game that actually needs a giant "this is what really happened" guide.

Also, in case you were wondering, the Ultimanias really are loving useless. I talked to Squall_of_SeeD on MSN years and years ago and he told me the FFIX Ultimania offers absolutely no explanation for what exactly Necron was or where he came from. So that whole topic is still open for discussion.

That seems like a lot of time wasted to not find out that it's probably just a reference to Exdeath and Cloud of Darkness.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

It's largely a waste of time. Back in 2004 when Advent Children first came out, I was embroiled in teh Jenova vs. Sephiroth argument with a lot of my fellow lifeless nerds and we turned to the translated Ultimanias to settle the dispute. I sided with Jenova absolutely at the time because...I dunno why. These days, I don't really care.

Also, in case you were wondering, the Ultimanias really are loving useless. I talked to Squall_of_SeeD on MSN years and years ago and he told me the FFIX Ultimania offers absolutely no explanation for what exactly Necron was or where he came from. So that whole topic is still open for discussion.

The crystal is the keystone of existence and breaking it is like ringing Necron's doorbell. It's not that hard to understand

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I saw someone argue that he's the "real" version of SoulCage (Iifa Tree boss) and it pretty much adds up, so even if that's not the author's intention that's how I always viewed 'im.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Nov 29, 2014

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Looper posted:

The crystal is the keystone of existence and breaking it is like ringing Necron's doorbell. It's not that hard to understand

For one thing, I don't believe Kuja destroyed the Crystal. His final attack was on the party in front of him, not the Crystal behind him. The idea Kuja destroyed the Crystal never entered my head until I got online and read this was what others thought happened. Seemed clear to me Kuja just killed the party and they ended up in the afterlife or something.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Nov 29, 2014

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

For one thing, I don't believe Kuja destroyed the Crystal. His final attack was on the party in front of him, not the Crystal behind him. The idea some people think the Crystal was destroyed never entered my head until I got online and heard others speculate that this happened. Seemed clear to me Kuja just killed the party and they ended up in the afterlife or something.

Kuja didn't break it, but Necron was called by his nihilism and despair at his own mortality, as Necron himself wanted to destroy the crystal. The party likely didn't die either, because Kuja used Ultima on them before in Terra and they just ended up waking up in a different spot completely fine. The bit about members transferring energy was probably just Crystal World business.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

Kajeesus posted:

I saw someone argue that he's the "real" version of SoulCage (Iifa Tree boss) and it pretty much adds up, so even if that's not the author's intention that's how I always viewed 'im.

Agreed. Necron being the soul of the Iifa Tree itself makes sense in-story and thematically makes for an appropriate final boss.

The real question is, how do you pronounce "Iifa"?

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
I'm guessing I-ee-fa, ee-fa, li-fa, or tits in a wifebeater.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Oh I always read it as Lifa Tree but I guess I'm an idiot

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I always pronounced it Ay'ayfa. I wasn't exactly fluent in English at the time, though. :shobon:

morallyobjected posted:

The party likely didn't die either, because Kuja used Ultima on them before in Terra and they just ended up waking up in a different spot completely fine.

I think it had a different animation and didn't the party disintegrate or something? Man, it's been like a decade since I played that game.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Help Im Alive posted:

Oh I always read it as Lifa Tree but I guess I'm an idiot

I did for ages as well, because that made more sense to me than "Iifa" for what is literally the tree of life.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Whatever map I first saw it on, the I looked like a T, so I thought it was the Tifa Tree. Led to some confusion when she never showed up :haw:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

morallyobjected posted:

Kuja didn't break it, but Necron was called by his nihilism and despair at his own mortality, as Necron himself wanted to destroy the crystal. The party likely didn't die either, because Kuja used Ultima on them before in Terra and they just ended up waking up in a different spot completely fine. The bit about members transferring energy was probably just Crystal World business.

Kajeesus posted:

I think it had a different animation and didn't the party disintegrate or something? Man, it's been like a decade since I played that game.

1st Ultima
2nd Ultima

I know this might sound like I'm being a total nerd but I always noticed that Kuja seemed to put more oomph into his second Ultima. He wasn't trying to outright kill the party the first time, just flexing his new-found godly power.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Kulkasha posted:

That's not a theory, that's canonically what they're intended to do. DoC was all kinds of terrible but it did expand on the role of the Weapons somewhat.
Not to mention iirc someone actually states that in FFVII itself.

Yeah, I'd always thought it was pretty obvious, but I've posted that explanation before (in Elentor's LP or in this thread or something) and people argued "nuh-uh, the Weapons are only out to fight threats to the planet!"

And I got the impression that the Ultimanias are the only reason fans now understand the plot to a lot of Square's games (see, e.g. the ending to FFXIII).

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I'm sure it's pronounced Eh-ee-Fa Tree.

Oh wait, it's pronouced Ee-fa?

Tired Moritz fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Nov 29, 2014

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Necron is a callback to Zeromus and had as much thought put into him as the latter did.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Eye-fa tree, but that's just regional pronunciation influences.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Endorph posted:

Yeah, but Tim Rogers is the most pretentious game reviewer in the world.

For one thing all the images on his site inexplicably look like someone's last known photo.
Is there any particular reason why all of his screenshots are rorschach tests?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I was Necron

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Buying a book to find out the 'real' plot of another piece of media is one of the mostly intensely stupid inventions of nerd culture. Just go with whatever makes most sense to yourself, the developer's perception is no more valid nor more authentic and alot of the time personal/fan theories are alot more interesting than whatever bullshit they come up with later in interviews/books anyway (unless you're really a fan of Spira being the same world as FF VII because ~reasons~)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Butt Ghost posted:

Is there any particular reason why all of his screenshots are rorschach tests?
no

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Buying a book to find out the 'real' plot of another piece of media is one of the mostly intensely stupid inventions of nerd culture. Just go with whatever makes most sense to yourself, the developer's perception is no more valid nor more authentic and alot of the time personal/fan theories are alot more interesting than whatever bullshit they come up with later in interviews/books anyway (unless you're really a fan of Spira being the same world as FF VII because ~reasons~)
idk sometime it's fun to read developer interviews or further details about the setting

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Endorph posted:

idk sometime it's fun to read developer interviews or further details about the setting

Isn't interesting sure, but treating them as gospel is dumb as gently caress.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

I was Necron

Your face is weird

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Isn't interesting sure, but treating them as gospel is dumb as gently caress.
Well, death of the author and all that sure, but if the book goes 'yeah Sephiroth was dead the whole time' then you can kind of just... live with it?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Please tell Hideki Kamiya that what he said his game is in interviews and comments does not matter, I'm sure he'd love it.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Endorph posted:

Well, death of the author and all that sure, but if the book goes 'yeah Sephiroth was dead the whole time' then you can kind of just... live with it?
But if I remove the author from the work, how will I be able to infer that Marilith is Hironobu Sakaguchi's metaphor for American soldiers throwing heated coins on the ground and watching him pick them up as a child?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Endorph posted:

Well, ignore it at least. I mean if you think it's an interesting take on it there's no harm in rolling with it, but if it said 'FFVII was Cloud's dying gay hallucination and he actually died back in Nibelheim' or 'the final boss of our FFIV fanfic actually destroyed the worlds of several other beloved final fantasy games' you'd be excused for dismissing it as pointless bullshit, the fact that the Ultimanias are generally less insane doesn't change that they're built on the same shakey foundations

Beef Waifu posted:

Please tell Hideki Kamiya that what he said his game is in interviews and comments does not matter, I'm sure he'd love it.

Anything Kamiya wanted to say he has plenty of time to say in the game

No Dignity fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Nov 29, 2014

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
In the off chance anyone here plays the FF:Record Keeper mobile game (and reads Japanese) a question:
What the hell are these egg things they recently added to the game? Are they some item used to change jobs/classes on characters or something?

Don Gato posted:

Did anyone else find it really weird that VII took place in our solar system? Either in the future we have tons of crazy magic poo poo or we had some really cool things in the past before the lifestream came and killed everyone to make room for current humans.

You're putting way too much thought in to a couple of attack animations. They used a solar system people would recognize for their over the top attack.

Mega64 posted:

I'd still love a translation for Legend of Mana's since that's probably the only official thing that actually explains poo poo about that game's insane crafting system.

Official Legend of Mana translation for crafting system:
"This is the crafting system, you can use it to remove any challenge from the game if you don't play on Nightmare(?) mode."

I haven't played that game for years but all I remember is there's a town you can only get if you find some NPC's sidequests and didn't fill your map already with other areas, and that when I crafted a 1-handed sword it was so powerful I killed the final boss in 2 attacks.

It gets brownie points for adding a co-op system that let you import characters. Just a shame that it was only a halfway done thing and you'd have to boot your friend's character for other NPCs and your friend was limited in their growth when loaded in to your game.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Well, ignore it at least. I mean if you think it's an interesting take on it there's no harm in rolling with it, but if it said 'FFVII was Cloud's dying gay hallucination and he actually died back in Nibelheim' or 'the final boss of our FFIV fanfic actually destroyed the worlds of several other beloved final fantasy games' you'd be excused for dismissing it as pointless bullshit, the fact that the Ultimanias are generally less insane doesn't change that they're built on the same shakey foundations

Postmodernism has gone too far, reset it.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Well, ignore it at least. I mean if you think it's an interesting take on it there's no harm in rolling with it, but if it said 'FFVII was Cloud's dying gay hallucination and he actually died back in Nibelheim' or 'the final boss of our FFIV fanfic actually destroyed the worlds of several other beloved final fantasy games' you'd be excused for dismissing it as pointless bullshit

I wouldn't. A creator has a right to stake his claim about what his story and game that he made is about without a bunch of loving idiots acting like they know better than him about the thing they wrote because they have some different theory. You're welcome to your own interpretation, but authorial intent does matter no matter how much you don't like what it actually is. It's one thing to come to your own interpretation about something, it's another to ignore something the creator says because you don't like it and want to preserve your image of something.

A Steampunk Gent posted:

No he doesn't, you goon. Do you seriously think creators have gotten everything they've wanted in their stuff and everything they've wanted to get across in just that game? The answer is no. It's part of the reason why applying postmodernism to video games is the dumbest bullshit because on top of games not really having interesting stories for the most part, games go through a rigorous process of development and have to have multiple people trying to weave a story within the gameplay. Not everything they want makes it in and it can be forgiven if they didn't get something across clearly and they want to clarify it in an interview.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Beef Waifu posted:

Beef Waifu posted:

A creator has a right to stake his claim about what his story and game that he made is about without a bunch of loving idiots acting like they know better than him about the thing they wrote because they have some different theory.

Hideki Kamiya no one cares what you think

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Hideki Kamiya no one cares what you think

I care what both Hideki Kamiya and forums poster Beef Waifu think

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cake Attack posted:

I care what both Hideki Kamiya and forums poster Beef Waifu think

Seconded. Kamiya's twitter is the best free source of entertainment on the internet.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

I am Hideki Kamiya.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Also ImpAtom, I bought Evil Within for like 16 bucks, is that a good price?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

no but see if i dont apply death of the author to final fantasy then i cant write my thesis on how the whole thing is one mans lashing out at the world that looks down on him for wanting to be dominated by a big man in a sailor suit

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
I can understand using death of the author as a tool and all but I wouldn't rely on it in a medium where entire plot points being chopped off to make time to tighten up the graphics on level four is not uncommon. It's really dumb to ignore creator insight in stuff like that.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Schwartzcough posted:

Yeah, I'd always thought it was pretty obvious, but I've posted that explanation before (in Elentor's LP or in this thread or something) and people argued "nuh-uh, the Weapons are only out to fight threats to the planet!"

And I got the impression that the Ultimanias are the only reason fans now understand the plot to a lot of Square's games (see, e.g. the ending to FFXIII).

Considering the game straight-up says the weapons are the planet's immune system, it makes sense that people would believe what the game says. It's also not a far stretch at all (and fits in thematically) that they would target places like Midgard which are not only full of people but devices pumping life stream out of the planet instead of rampaging through forests or whatever nonsense someone posted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
FF7 is the story of Ferngully and Sephiroth is Tim Curry.