Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

PublicOpinion posted:

quote:

DF 0.40.19 is up at http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves
Fewer airborne gametes, drink tab
Tip: large animals can put an unskilled gelder in the hospital

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

The idea of a dabbling castrator is a bit terrifying.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

TOOT BOOT posted:

The idea of a dabbling castrator is a bit terrifying.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'd love a DF interface like the Crawl one, where people can join and chat with you / give advice/ call you a shithead.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Turtlicious posted:

I'd love a DF interface like the Crawl one, where people can join and chat with you / give advice/ call you a shithead.

Pretty sure DFTerm does that, I think?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nah, DFTerm hasn't been updated in forever, right now the big 2 are DFEverywhere and webfort, DFEverywhere doesn't seem to work, so I'll try webfort, keep your eyes on the thread, because if I can figure it out, I might have a version for goons running.

E: Looks like they're testing a 40.16 release, so it might be a bit of a wait.

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Nov 27, 2014

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.
I've been arbitrarily putting off getting the new version until Toady made fruits from trees harvestable. Can I pick apples and stuff yet?

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Yes, you can.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

PublicOpinion posted:

Yes, you can.

Wouldn't you have to craft a ladder?

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Depends how many plant gatherers you need, with the new multi hauling I've found the ladder you start with to be sufficient.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.
Awesome!

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.
Anyone know why my plump helmets are being left on the farm to rot when they're done growing? I have plenty of haulers and a food stockpile that definitely accepts them, but they're just left on the farm to rot. Some of them are stockpiled, but a lot aren't.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Infinite Monkeys posted:

Anyone know why my plump helmets are being left on the farm to rot when they're done growing? I have plenty of haulers and a food stockpile that definitely accepts them, but they're just left on the farm to rot. Some of them are stockpiled, but a lot aren't.

I think gathering plump helmets all falls under farming tasks. Make sure you have some farmers around that aren't busy doing something else.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Infinite Monkeys posted:

Check your [o]rders screen and allow everyone to harvest. Most likely it's set on "farmers harvest only," and farmers stay pretty busy.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Also check to make sure that dwarves aren't set to ignore food. I lost a few harvests because of that.

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

MegaGatts posted:

I've been arbitrarily putting off getting the new version until Toady made fruits from trees harvestable. Can I pick apples and stuff yet?
You can harvest more fruits than ever before now.

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

Glory of Arioch posted:

Check your [o]rders screen and allow everyone to harvest. Most likely it's set on "farmers harvest only," and farmers stay pretty busy.

Gus Hobbleton posted:

Also check to make sure that dwarves aren't set to ignore food. I lost a few harvests because of that.

:(

e: Ok they decided to store them now :iiam:

Infinite Monkeys fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Nov 27, 2014

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

this legitimately sums up why dwarves will spontaneously stop or start gathering things they're supposed to.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
I didn't know you could make ladders. No wonder I was missing out on delicious almonds. :shobon:

So for the new necromancer invasions, if the necromancer actually shows up on your map, will everything dead in your fort start rising all b-movie style, including stuff butchered before the necromancer's arrival/dead cavern critters?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Does anyone here play DF without a numpad?

How?

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

Started a new game, embarked on a river. The dwarves parked their wagon on the frozen water. About ten seconds into the game the water thawed and three dwarves drowned. :allears: Never change.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

Turtlicious posted:

How?

I do, I change the + and - keys to [ ], after that it's really easy.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Turtlicious posted:

How?

I use hjkl.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

RedTonic posted:

I didn't know you could make ladders. No wonder I was missing out on delicious almonds. :shobon:

So for the new necromancer invasions, if the necromancer actually shows up on your map, will everything dead in your fort start rising all b-movie style, including stuff butchered before the necromancer's arrival/dead cavern critters?

Yes.

It is awesome.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Well, everything doesn't just "start rising", it's the necromancer repeatedly using his Animate Dead powers. But yes it is fairly sweet and unlike evil biomes, you can pull the plug on the dead men's dance by chopping the fucker's head off.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

Turtlicious posted:

How?

I used to play Dwarf Fortress with only a tileset and nothing else.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

How?

I do what windy said, it only takes a few keys being rebound and you're in business.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Though if that doesn't appeal to you, you can always get a custom DF peripheral.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Angela Christine posted:

Though if that doesn't appeal to you, you can always get a custom DF peripheral.

You could get half a dozen of those, tape them together into a block, rebind them all into a custom key-arrangement, and swap out your old keyboard. It might help... !!SCIENCE!!

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
Remembering the pain that is playing without dwarf therapist. gently caress all idle assholes

king salmon
Oct 30, 2011

by Cowcaster
Does anyone know why my dwarves aren't pasturing animals? I changed their pasture to underground and deleted the old one but now the cows are hanging out in the dining room and no pasture jobs are created.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
You got any burrows enabled?

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
Geldings gonna be good for getting rear end in a top hat dwarfs out of the picture

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Guys can we make some multiplayer goon sessions?
http://www.dfeverywhere.com/

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
How long before Twitch Plays Dwarf Fortress?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I spend at least 10 minutes trying to pick a name, and I can't make Liverpool anymore.

Got Domainboot. I've been studying IT security all day. Sold.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
I really hope that the way Toady seems to be listening a bit more to the community when it comes to hammering out bugs and adding features to fix stuff is a sign that soon he'll cooperate with someone that will make a proper interface for the game. Even just making the way you scroll through different menus uniform or whatever would be a game changer, and that's such a ridiculous statement to make about a game that has such a huge following and makes me stay up 'til 7 in the morning playing the odd time that I do feel like wrestling with the awful interface to play.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Maybe fishing isn't as serene as I thought...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5eo6vAK4OA

OK, it's a tarpin rather than a carp, and it has grindy chunks in its throat for cracking shellfish that could easily splinter a bone, but still...

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Ghostwoods posted:

Maybe fishing isn't as serene as I thought...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5eo6vAK4OA

OK, it's a tarpin rather than a carp, and it has grindy chunks in its throat for cracking shellfish that could easily splinter a bone, but still...

Dwarf cancels noodle fish: overcome with terror

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

New future of the Fortress reply!

quote:

Question: Can a random lower body wound inflicted through combat or other cause, cause sterility now?

Toady: There are specific rare combat wounds complete with announcement. Perhaps too rare if nobody has seen them.
Gelding by combat confirmed. :getin: