Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
i like netbeans :kiddo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

from the way it looks right now there's a decent chance I'll get some sort of offer for a c# role but I'm pretty sure it would be super lowball, partly for geographical reasons and partly because the interview process wasn't really all that challenging. were it me two years ago I would have been perfectly happy with it, but I'm really uncomfortable with how little there was in terms of actual coding done, even if there was a decent amount of technical discussion w/r/t their decisions to use certain tooling.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

ain't necessarily so. maybe your experience now means they aren't going to bother you with that low level testing bollocks. might be a good thing. cant speak for the geography obviously.

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
so i need to make a dead simple api. it has only one endpoint, and the result is going to be a json object with a name and a date and a time. it will accomplish this by querying some database table full of datetimes and names and returning the next closest one in the future.

I would say .NET but I don't want to pay for azure for it. What is the most :effort: way to accomplish this with a p-lang? I was thinking Rails but idk.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Necc0 posted:

same

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Careful Drums posted:

so i need to make a dead simple api. it has only one endpoint, and the result is going to be a json object with a name and a date and a time. it will accomplish this by querying some database table full of datetimes and names and returning the next closest one in the future.

I would say .NET but I don't want to pay for azure for it. What is the most :effort: way to accomplish this with a p-lang? I was thinking Rails but idk.

Sinatra or Flask, Rails would be overkill.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Careful Drums posted:

python's got a bunch of packages to do this, ive used tornado w/ success

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

Careful Drums posted:

just use flask

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Careful Drums posted:

just use flask, it's dead simple to set up an api endpoint like this with it

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Careful Drums posted:

azure is the best paas

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Careful Drums posted:

node

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
welp, somebody had to say it

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bloody posted:

azure is the best paas

yeah its great but i'm going to lose my monthly credit soon and i don't want to pay for it when i already have a sever.

looking at flask, yeah super easy. thanks folks

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Necc0 posted:

same, but I always feel like that guy when I mention it outside work

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.
how do people actually use flask in the real world? I tried reading up on it but everyone suggested using a half dozen abandoned flask.ext packages and reimplementing most of django

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

I liked werkzeug but I only did a toy app in it

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
use asp.net webapi

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
about to embark on some swift

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

this is v good

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Seaside Loafer posted:

So would it be fair to say eclipse is the most used but intellij is better? This is for a small project and it looks like the free version will do what I need.

even I as a total ObjC partisan will say use IntelliJ if you have to do Java

I never did enough Java with WebObjects (or Cocoa Java, lol) to want to use IntelliJ instead of PBX but if I'd continued doing that kind of stuff I'd have done what every other consultant I knew from the time did and buy a personal IntelliJ license to use on every project I touched

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Careful Drums posted:

if it's really just a single JSON object with a date and time from a single table then just do it in a couple lines of PHP or whatever, who cares if you have infrastructure or scaling or any other poo poo

hell you could even use SQLite instead of MySQL/PostgreSQL for your DB

the second you need more then start thinking about picking a technology and building a real app but if that's all it is don't waste your time on trivialities

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

theadder posted:

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

this is v good

welcome to the future!

designed in California

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

word of advice: don't get lost in "OMG gotta be pure" land, unless you're specifically trying to explore what's possible in the language

if you're just trying to get poo poo done, just "import Foundation" and use the OS X/iOS frameworks, don't try to reinvent the world

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

eschaton posted:

word of advice: don't get lost in "OMG gotta be pure" land, unless you're specifically trying to explore what's possible in the language

if you're just trying to get poo poo done, just "import Foundation" and use the OS X/iOS frameworks, don't try to reinvent the world

why would you use a platform specific programming language if you dont want to use the apple frameworks?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
eclipse is free
netbeans is free
and yet intelliJ is wildly popular despite costing several hundred bucks

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Careful Drums posted:

use .net and host on mono

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
eclipse is fine though, never had any major problems

biggest issue is trying to get it cooperate with finding files and using a weird working directory

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

download web cobol

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

eclipse is free
netbeans is free
How crippled is free version of Idea?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Luigi Thirty posted:

download web cobol

this joke is never funny, because web frameworks and mvc poo poo and any god drat terrible cobol thing you can imagine actually exists

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

this joke is never funny, because web frameworks and mvc poo poo and any god drat terrible cobol thing you can imagine actually exists

Actually it's very funny.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

model view cobol

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

eclipse is free
netbeans is free

reminder that people have also paid for irredeemable poo poo like textpad

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Forgall posted:

i forgot it even existed

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Forgall posted:

for a java-only editor it's fine. It's missing a bunch of the enterprisey stuff but meh.

http://www.jetbrains.com/idea/features/

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

i mean also you are theoretically only supposed to write gnu tools with it also buuuuuuut

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

why would you use a platform specific programming language if you dont want to use the apple frameworks?

I couldn't tell you

but I've definitely seen that some people seem to have a thing for "no I want to do this all in pure Swift" and that's just silly, it's like saying "no I want to use pure C, no stdlib or OS" when writing something to run on Unix.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Captain Foo posted:

Actually it's very funny.

certainly is

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

confirmed, lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU