Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM JAMES FRANCO
Jul 23, 2008
Checked a couple pages and didn't see too much regarding cases.

I just bought Ipad Air refurbished and was hoping to get a good case for it. I probably won't drop it (didn't drop the tablet I had for 2 years before) but I figure it would be better to be safe.

Any recommendations? I was kind of hoping to get a case with a keyboard, but I've heard few bad reviews about those. would it be better to have a separate case and a portable bluetooth keyboard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Question Mark Mound posted:

Do you mean having it split in half? You can do that by using two fingers to pull the keyboard apart, and then do the reverse to put it back together again.

Jesus christ I either am getting horrible at posting in the right thread or the app has another bug. I was so sure I tapped the Awful app thread and replied to that.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

I AM JAMES FRANCO posted:

Checked a couple pages and didn't see too much regarding cases.

I just bought Ipad Air refurbished and was hoping to get a good case for it. I probably won't drop it (didn't drop the tablet I had for 2 years before) but I figure it would be better to be safe.

Any recommendations? I was kind of hoping to get a case with a keyboard, but I've heard few bad reviews about those. would it be better to have a separate case and a portable bluetooth keyboard?
No recommendation, but just pointing out that flush keyboard cases are kinda inherently cramped or tweaked to fit the footprint of the iPad (barring something like IBM's fancy extending keyboard). If you've ever used a 8-9" netbook the keyboards are more or less like that. If you can't stand that then a separate BT keyboard would be better, if not as convenient.

BuckT.Trend
Apr 22, 2003

My god, it's full of stars!
I have the Logitech keyboard case. It came highly recommended, and I've had no complaints. It's not like a regular keyboard, no, but it works for me (especially since I'm a horrible typist on a touchscreen.)

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
iPad Air 2 is $100 off at best buy.com right now. It might just get me to pull the trigger.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT

Duckman2008 posted:

iPad Air 2 is $100 off at best buy.com right now. It might just get me to pull the trigger.

All sold out.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Duckman2008 posted:

If anyone happened to buy an Air2 on their Discover card in the last 90days, print out the Best Buy online ad, fill out some paperwork, and Discover will mail you $100.

Worked on my launch-day Air last year and I'm hoping (though doubting) I can try the same thing with my unlocked iPhone6.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
Did anyone go shopping in Thanksgiving last year? I'm tempted to drive up to Best Buy at 5PM real quick to grab an iPad Air 2 but, if it's going to be a nightmare, I won't even bother. I know Black Friday is always a disaster but I've never gone out on Thanksgiving day.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

beergod posted:

Did anyone go shopping in Thanksgiving last year? I'm tempted to drive up to Best Buy at 5PM real quick to grab an iPad Air 2 but, if it's going to be a nightmare, I won't even bother. I know Black Friday is always a disaster but I've never gone out on Thanksgiving day.

People camp out at Best Buy for some reason and its a disaster. Target is giving $140 gift cards with purchase plus 5% off with their store card.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

None of the deals have a 128 4g though. Can't find it anywhere.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

eddiewalker posted:

People camp out at Best Buy for some reason and its a disaster. Target is giving $140 gift cards with purchase plus 5% off with their store card.

I got a new (open box) 64gig iPad Air 2 for $419 (open box items were an additional 20% off the already discounted price).

I laughed at the maniacs in tents outside...this deal was better than what they'd get.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

hotsauce posted:

I got a new (open box) 64gig iPad Air 2 for $419 (open box items were an additional 20% off the already discounted price).

I laughed at the maniacs in tents outside...this deal was better than what they'd get.

Nothing says gift like an iPad box wrapped in OPEN BOX ITEM tape.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Nothing says gift like an iPad box wrapped in OPEN BOX ITEM tape.

Zero tape. And it was for me. But thanks!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

This probably isn't the right thread, but I thought I'd ask: I've used a USB microphone with my iphone for years to record interviews, but ever since the last iOS update, it doesn't seem to recognize my microphone any more. I use a camera conversion kit to plug the USB end into the phone. There was a previous update that temporarily killed my microphone, but I got it back the next update.

Is my microphone dead for good, or is this something I can fix somehow? Are there mics these days that have a lighting connector?

I'm running the latest ios on an iPhone 5, using a Samson Go Mic, if that makes any difference.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

eddiewalker posted:

If anyone happened to buy an Air2 on their Discover card in the last 90days, print out the Best Buy online ad, fill out some paperwork, and Discover will mail you $100.

Worked on my launch-day Air last year and I'm hoping (though doubting) I can try the same thing with my unlocked iPhone6.

Thanks for this. I'll give it a try.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Meh, disappointed with the Black Friday sale from Apple. The Best Buy one is baller but they've only had cellular models in stock randomly.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Meh, disappointed with the Black Friday sale from Apple. The Best Buy one is baller but they've only had cellular models in stock randomly.

But AIDS

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

At least you get an Apple Black Friday sale. Apple must be the only guys in the UK not jumping on the Black Friday bandwagon. :argh:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Yeah, Apple doesn't tend to have good Black Friday specials. Their only specials are refurbs, and those won't be there yet for the Air 2.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

hotsauce posted:

Zero tape. And it was for me. But thanks!

Yes, my point is that most people shopping today are buying gifts. I'm sure someone else will happily buy yours in a week when you return it for pure profit though!

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
Whats the best stylus for drawing/painting? Is the amazonbasics one really sufficient?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The consensus I've seen on here is that even the high-end styluses for iPad leave a lot to be desired for a serious artist.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Seems that Best Buy has a lot more in stock this morning. I was able to snag a 64gb gold Air 2 to replace my The New iPad.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Seems that Best Buy has a lot more in stock this morning. I was able to snag a 64gb gold Air 2 to replace my The New iPad.

I went last night and they had a ton in 64GB and 128GB. Can't believe people are still buying 16GB ipads.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
I only wanted to spend $300 on a tablet but I might just get a new 32GB ipad mini 2 because I'm tired of checking the refurbished section for one. Plus I get a $50 itunes gift card with it so it evens out or am I making a mistake? And could I order a smart cover with the gift card once I get it?

Edit:

eric posted:

I went last night and they had a ton in 64GB and 128GB. Can't believe people are still buying 16GB ipads.

Why isn't Apple making the 32GB model the entry level model then if the 16GB model doesn't cut the mustard for storage anymore?

spasticColon fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Nov 28, 2014

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
Got redirected towards an iPad recommendation from the Android thread, so I figured I'd ask here: I'm looking to get something to replace an ancient computer for my grandparents, who are not at all technically inclined. I'd expect low usage: maybe a little web browsing, mostly email, and some very light gaming (card games for example). What model and specs should I be looking for? If possible I'd like to keep the cost as low as reasonable to meet their needs, roughly how much memory should I be looking for?

My thought currently is an iPad mini 2 Wifi with 16 GB for $300. Is the 16 GB going to be a hindrance for their usage?

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

spasticColon posted:

Why isn't Apple making the 32GB model the entry level model then if the 16GB model doesn't cut the mustard for storage anymore?

The price difference for Apple is a few dollars going from 16GB to 64GB so they do it to get people to pay $100 more for 64GB.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance

eric posted:

The price difference for Apple is a few dollars going from 16GB to 64GB so they do it to get people to pay $100 more for 64GB.

I myself would just get a 16GB mini 2 but would that be enough for web browsing (Chrome), awful app, book reading and maybe Hearthstone?

spasticColon fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Nov 28, 2014

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

spasticColon posted:

We have this conversation a lot. It's a cash grab.

dirtyfrog
Apr 15, 2003

The Fantastic Fapping Frog
Kinda fancying an upgrade to the Air 2 from my Mini Retina. Quite surprised to find trade-in prices are only about £150 for a 32gb wifi :(

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

fleshweasel posted:

I get this keyboard fuckup pretty often. Maybe it comes from using the app in one orientation, leaving, then coming back in another orientation?

Probably a better question for Pokeyman in the Awful thread, but I think he's aware of the issue with the split iPad keyboard. Suspect he may not want to think about keyboards for a few more weeks after the 5 or 6 rejections he had getting a SA smilies keyboard past Apple review.

pokeyman posted:

I will instead perform a reenactment.

:sonia:
:gooncamp:
:goatsecx:
:flaccid:
:dong:
:ccb:
:flashfap:
:jackbud:
:regd05:
:shlick:
:newfap:
:huh:
:hawaaaafap:
:gizz:
:fh:
:fap:
:circlefap:
:bahgawd:
:a2m:

edit: and now that I'm caught up on the Awful thread I see you already posted there. durr.

fordan fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Nov 29, 2014

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

fleshweasel posted:

The consensus I've seen on here is that even the high-end styluses for iPad leave a lot to be desired for a serious artist.

I would say so. There is only so much you can really do when your screen is not really designed for stylus input.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
The 16gb probably fulfills a bunch of enterprise requirements as well. A hospital doesn't need a bunch of storage for its webapp recording thingy or whatever they use, you know?

Mo_Steel posted:

Got redirected towards an iPad recommendation from the Android thread, so I figured I'd ask here: I'm looking to get something to replace an ancient computer for my grandparents, who are not at all technically inclined. I'd expect low usage: maybe a little web browsing, mostly email, and some very light gaming (card games for example). What model and specs should I be looking for? If possible I'd like to keep the cost as low as reasonable to meet their needs, roughly how much memory should I be looking for?

My thought currently is an iPad mini 2 Wifi with 16 GB for $300. Is the 16 GB going to be a hindrance for their usage?

They'd probably appreciate the full size because they're old and a computer replacement is not the standard use case for an iPad mini. The mini is perfect for reading books and PDFs and holding it one handed on a train or whatever. The full size is nicer for stuff like video watching, recipe display, and all that kind of thing that olds might prefer. They also aren't likely to take it out of the house and hold it while standing up. For the same reason you can probably save by buying an air instead of an air 2.

But I really think a crappy $500 laptop is the way to go. It's familiar, cheap, repairable on the hardware side, and the learning curve won't be a problem for them since they probably access everything through a browser anyway instead of a bunch of apps. The iPad has the advantage of being nearly impossible to break on the software side, v. a windows laptop that will need constant janitoring from someone who knows how (read: you).

I've gone through this same discussion with my parents about my grandmother's computers, but my dad doesn't mind fixing her laptop once a month because they live together and it coincides with spending time with his MIL. :3:

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Gave someone an air 2 and they said they're noticing the vibration on the back when playing music that they didn't experience with the air. Should I exchange it at the apple store or do they all do this?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

eric posted:

Gave someone an air 2 and they said they're noticing the vibration on the back when playing music that they didn't experience with the air. Should I exchange it at the apple store or do they all do this?

Mine does it. Don't mind. The speakers are surprisingly bassy. Not necessarily a bad thing.

Seems to be the result of everyone wanting wafer thin devices ~and~ high quality speakers.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

tuyop posted:

The 16gb probably fulfills a bunch of enterprise requirements as well. A hospital doesn't need a bunch of storage for its webapp recording thingy or whatever they use, you know?

They'd probably appreciate the full size because they're old and a computer replacement is not the standard use case for an iPad mini. The mini is perfect for reading books and PDFs and holding it one handed on a train or whatever. The full size is nicer for stuff like video watching, recipe display, and all that kind of thing that olds might prefer. They also aren't likely to take it out of the house and hold it while standing up. For the same reason you can probably save by buying an air instead of an air 2.

But I really think a crappy $500 laptop is the way to go. It's familiar, cheap, repairable on the hardware side, and the learning curve won't be a problem for them since they probably access everything through a browser anyway instead of a bunch of apps. The iPad has the advantage of being nearly impossible to break on the software side, v. a windows laptop that will need constant janitoring from someone who knows how (read: you).

I've gone through this same discussion with my parents about my grandmother's computers, but my dad doesn't mind fixing her laptop once a month because they live together and it coincides with spending time with his MIL. :3:

Giving an old person a 500 laptop instead of an iPad is loving hilarious

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Giving an old person a 500 laptop instead of an iPad is loving hilarious

Any change in interaction logic is going to be painful for anyone who isn't fairly technologically literate to negotiate. Give an average 11 year old a laptop and ask them to email someone a file and watch the train wreck. Young people as a rule, in my experience, are used to dealing with mobile device logic, old people (especially ones who already have a computer) are probably used to traditional OS logic.

Mobile devices are definitely easier to learn, but there's still a learning curve there.

Unless you're referring to the price. I mean you could go with like a $300 laptop I guess? I don't know, an iPad isn't, in my mind, a significantly more affordable solution.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

tuyop posted:

Any change in interaction logic is going to be painful for anyone who isn't fairly technologically literate to negotiate. Give an average 11 year old a laptop and ask them to email someone a file and watch the train wreck. Young people as a rule, in my experience, are used to dealing with mobile device logic, old people (especially ones who already have a computer) are probably used to traditional OS logic.

Mobile devices are definitely easier to learn, but there's still a learning curve there.

Unless you're referring to the price. I mean you could go with like a $300 laptop I guess? I don't know, an iPad isn't, in my mind, a significantly more affordable solution.

There's no learning curve for browsing the web, sending iMessages, and reading email. My 90 year old grandma isn't downloading new apps and syncing a directory of files through Dropbox. She's looking at wedding photos and forwarding racist email.

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.
So my dad just upgraded to the new iPad and is going to give me his old one. He does t know what it is and I don't either - it's either a 2 or a 3. When I plug this into iTunes it'll tell me won't it? It's not a huge deal either way but I like to know what I'm getting. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Tensokuu posted:

So my dad just upgraded to the new iPad and is going to give me his old one. He does t know what it is and I don't either - it's either a 2 or a 3. When I plug this into iTunes it'll tell me won't it? It's not a huge deal either way but I like to know what I'm getting. :)

If it has a retina screen, it's a 3.