Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Ensign Expendable posted:

Is it possible to select no voice at all? 3GB of data for $45 wouldn't be that bad.

Of course not! They know many people use next to no voice anymore.

I would be better off with 0 minutes for $0 and $1/minute for calls, but then they don't get the free money from forcing me to buy unlimited calls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
Does anyone know how much of the monthly bill in a standard two-year contract actually goes towards paying off the phone? I mean, the big three all claim to be giving you a $485 subsidy on the various flavours of the iPhones 6, but how much are they paying for them wholesale?

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit

Ensign Expendable posted:

Is it possible to select no voice at all? 3GB of data for $45 wouldn't be that bad.

I've done that for customers before. It's basically a tablet plan of up to $40 for 5GB that I program onto a SIM card and slap it in a phone. If your rep is knowledgeable enough they may do it for you, since it is considered a new activation sale and in the best interest of the sales rep to do it, assuming they know that there's technically no rule against it.

That said, it does mean that you'd pay for every minute used, (probably 50 cents) and every text sent or received (25 cents in or out), so it's probably not a good idea. You also do not get any subsidy off a phone to do that.

The Dark One posted:

Does anyone know how much of the monthly bill in a standard two-year contract actually goes towards paying off the phone? I mean, the big three all claim to be giving you a $485 subsidy on the various flavours of the iPhones 6, but how much are they paying for them wholesale?

They do indeed pay the whole retail price to obtain the iPhone they are selling you, which is why they are so stingy about them.

Science
Jun 28, 2006
. . .
So I'm looking at Virgin tablet plans:

So it's cheaper to get the $5 / 10 MB plan and pay $10 for 1 GB of overage every month than to get the $20 / 1 GB plan. What.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Science posted:

So I'm looking at Virgin tablet plans:

So it's cheaper to get the $5 / 10 MB plan and pay $10 for 1 GB of overage every month than to get the $20 / 1 GB plan. What.

That's not how it works. That rate only kicks in once you've blown through 5GB.

Gotta keep that ARPU sky-high!

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Are there any recommended places for purchasing cases and screen protectors? The best I can find currently is Amazon.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
AliExpress/eBay

Paccione
Aug 17, 2003

The most famous shot in the history of television
I'm getting my son a cell phone for Christmas. Is there anyway I can get Google Voice in Canada and just get him a $40/month 5GB data plan? Or something similar to Google voice?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

As far as shortcuts go (such as VPNs or proxies), I have no idea if anything works, but Google Voice isn't available here. I don't believe there is a similar service but again, my knowledge may be outdated.

Science
Jun 28, 2006
. . .

Science fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Dec 1, 2014

Science
Jun 28, 2006
. . .

Paccione posted:

I'm getting my son a cell phone for Christmas. Is there anyway I can get Google Voice in Canada and just get him a $40/month 5GB data plan? Or something similar to Google voice?

Fongo? Fair warning that the app looks like it's straight from Blackberry, but the performance itself is okay.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit

Paccione posted:

As I stated earlier, you could just get a data plan for a bring-your-own tablet and pop that in to a cell phone to get $40 for up to 5GB of data. Can people without Fongo text him? If not, he'd be unable to receive or send texts since there are no other free calling features

OilSlick fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Dec 1, 2014

Science
Jun 28, 2006
. . .

OilSlick posted:

Can people without Fongo text him?

Yes, it's worked pretty well from my testing (real-time sending/receiving) while on a 3G connection. Fongo is basically a VoIP provider that has a softphone app.

I'm probably going to try the data plan + Fongo set up myself during the holidays - the savings over the lifetime of a 2 year plan are close to $400 if you use ~1 GB of data / month assuming you're buying an iPhone 6 right now.

Science fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Dec 2, 2014

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Rogers business care went from "your Nexus 6 is ordered and you should have it soon!" to "it's backordered sorry" so welp, I wonder how long it'll take now :(

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

CLAM DOWN posted:

Rogers business care went from "your Nexus 6 is ordered and you should have it soon!" to "it's backordered sorry" so welp, I wonder how long it'll take now :(

We can race! Mine still says ships 12/16.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.
What's the going rate these days for a decent smartphone plan? I'm curious how my plan stacks up. I have 18 months left in my contract with Rogers, and I'm considering getting out of it and getting a phone from work. How easy would it be to offload this plan and my iPhone 5? Is this plan good enough that someone would pay a premium for it?

6GB Super Plan $60.00
Savings: Monthly Fee Discount $-10.00
iPhone Value Pk w/US&Intl Text* $12.79
6pm Early Evening Calling $0.00
Call Forwarding/Call Transfer $0.00
Total before taxes: $62.79

It also includes MY10, which doesn't seem to be listed here.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Corte posted:

Are there any recommended places for purchasing cases and screen protectors? The best I can find currently is Amazon.

I bought my Moto G stuff through Amazon. Screen protectors were something like $3 and the Foseman case was around $5 shipped.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

Corte posted:

I've always bought mine from Monoprice (after the $30 InvisibleShield or whatever from Future Shop was a total bust on my iPhone 3G...bit of a rip-off).

I've had one on my iPhone 5 for over a year and a half so far, with no issues. They come in three packs, which is nice, since sometimes they peel off.

Here's the one for an iPhone 6: http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=108&cp_id=10831&cs_id=1083105&p_id=12206&seq=1&format=2

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Rick Rickshaw posted:

What's the going rate these days for a decent smartphone plan? I'm curious how my plan stacks up. I have 18 months left in my contract with Rogers, and I'm considering getting out of it and getting a phone from work. How easy would it be to offload this plan and my iPhone 5? Is this plan good enough that someone would pay a premium for it?

6GB Super Plan $60.00
Savings: Monthly Fee Discount $-10.00
iPhone Value Pk w/US&Intl Text* $12.79
6pm Early Evening Calling $0.00
Call Forwarding/Call Transfer $0.00
Total before taxes: $62.79

It also includes MY10, which doesn't seem to be listed here.

That's what I pay every month for a new 3GB plan, and that's a corporate deal that was better than literally every other option in my area. Unless you're in Sasktell territory, or Thunder Bay, you should hold onto that plan as if it was the most important thing in the world.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's only $6 more than my 6gb corporate plan which everyone tends to be jealous of, so yeah that's pretty good.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Thanks for the suggestions, I ended up going through Amazon.com and using a 30% off deal that Ringke was running through Cyber Monday. I highly recommend look at the manufacturer's website if looking for a high quality case, usually they have some coupon or deal you can use.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Another forumgoer told me that you guys might know a bit about this.

Apparently it's possible to sign up for a smartphone plan in a different province. This would be really beneficial, since I live in Ontario, with rates that are significantly higher than Manitoba and Saskatchewan's. I'm with Koodo. Is it possible for me to score an out of province plan so I can stopped getting ripped off? If so, where can I get some more details on how it's done?

melon cat fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Dec 4, 2014

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Reverse Centaur posted:

We can race! Mine still says ships 12/16.

Just got another email from Business Care, they are receiving Nexus 6 stock end of next week and he will "update me then".

:f5:

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

melon cat posted:

Another forumgoer told me that you guys might know a bit about this.

Apparently it's possible to sign up for a smartphone plan in a different province. This would be really beneficial, since I live in Ontario, with rates that are significantly higher than Manitoba and Saskatchewan's. I'm with Koodo. Is it possible for me to score an out of province plan so I can stopped getting ripped off? If so, where can I get some more details on how it's done?

Enjoy: http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1811078-How-to-get-the-55-Koodo-sk-mb-plan

If you're already on Koodo, you'll need to first port away from it to another provider, then get back on board as per these directions.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

CLAM DOWN posted:

Just got another email from Business Care, they are receiving Nexus 6 stock end of next week and he will "update me then".

:f5:

I'm friends with a Bell store manager and he is trying to get me to buy one from him when they come in. It's now a three way race.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Lexicon posted:

Enjoy: http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1811078-How-to-get-the-55-Koodo-sk-mb-plan

If you're already on Koodo, you'll need to first port away from it to another provider, then get back on board as per these directions.
Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

melon cat posted:

Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

Sure thing. I've done this twice, including once with an initial port away, so let me know if you have an questions.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
So I called Telus customer retention, and the best they would do for me was 300 minutes and 300mb for $60. I currently pay $56 for 500mb, which means they've cut service and raised prices for four years. :psyduck:

Then I did the math and realized that with the new roaming rates, if I got Winds $35 plan and somehow roamed to 500mb, I'd still pay less than if I stayed with Telus.

That caller ID is free, and not $10/month, is just the icing on the cake. For the first time in years I can see who is calling.

Tl;Dr: gently caress the big three.

Rime fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Dec 8, 2014

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

I'd love to use wind but the service is terrible. I found it unusable fairly frequently and I'd switch to use my work phone with a Fido sim which usually worked fine in the same place. This is all in downtown Vancouver too so I'm not exactly out in the sticks. If it works for you that's great! Wish it worked for me.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Rime posted:

So I called Telus customer retention, and the best they would do for me was 300 minutes and 300mb for $60. I currently pay $56 for 500mb, which means they've cut service and raised prices for four years. :psyduck:

Then I did the math and realized that with the new roaming rates, if I got Winds $35 plan and somehow roamed to 500mb, I'd still pay less than if I stayed with Telus.

That caller ID is free, and not $10/month, is just the icing on the cake. For the first time in years I can see who is calling.

Evis posted:

I'd love to use wind but the service is terrible. I found it unusable fairly frequently and I'd switch to use my work phone with a Fido sim which usually worked fine in the same place. This is all in downtown Vancouver too so I'm not exactly out in the sticks. If it works for you that's great! Wish it worked for me.

I did this earlier this year and yes, I can confirm that WIND coverage sucks. I can't even get a roaming signal inside Rogers Arena. That being said, I'm now paying $35 a month for unlimited Canada-wide calling and North America-wide text with 2GB data, vs $$85 a month for unlimited local calling, NO long distance and 500MB data with Rogers. I am more than happy to put up with spotty service and the occasional roaming charge to save $600 a year.

Plus, their U.S. roaming add-on is a loving amazing deal: $15/month unlimited calling, texting and data when you're roaming in the states. Cheaper than the big three's day rates!

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Rogers keeps getting East Indians to call me to "review" my plan. I guess it's too good.

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln

Rime posted:

lmao
And the best part is that nothing will be done about it ever.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
The blank spots with wind are certainly strange, like the top floor of VPL when you get full bars on the bottom two floors. I suspect the LTE rollout next year might improve signal strength.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Wind is rolling out LTE?!?!

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

CLAM DOWN posted:

Wind is rolling out LTE?!?!

Yeah that would be a surprise. I didn't think they had any spectrum. Also IIRC the next spectrum auction is for bands that aren't supported by current hardware.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Yup, when I was in the shop today they said they'd be rolling it out between Q1 and Q2 2015. Which will be nice, because after being on LTE for a whole week I can definitely tell the difference now that I'm back on 3G.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Rime posted:

Yup, when I was in the shop today they said they'd be rolling it out between Q1 and Q2 2015. Which will be nice, because after being on LTE for a whole week I can definitely tell the difference now that I'm back on 3G.

I think you were lied to. I certainly don't remember them acquiring more spectrum, and that's the big issue.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I wish I had Wind here.

I had a dream last night that a new co-operative cell company started in Canada.

:(

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
If you Google wind LTE 2015. you'll see an article on CBC about how they want to buy more spectrum in 2015. so far it's just wishful thinking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Maybe the front line guys are getting lied to then, dunno why they'd bother when I'd already signed up and was chatting about relative costs. :shrug: