Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Theo and Marie are the loving best duo of this game and I have no idea how they are both so amazing together.

THE HAIKU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Are Bestial Roar and Swordbreaker unique skills for Kanji and Aigis? Because I'd really like to get Bestial Roar on all my phsyical attackers, and one Swordbreaker per row.

Bestial Roar in particular is amazing, considering Kanji's only real drawback is "goes real slow". His other weakness (no SP) is irrelevant now that you can hit elemental weaknesses with physical attacks, so letting him go first every turn makes him The Best.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Valkyrie and Red Rider get Swordbreaker at level 32, Narasimha at 35. For Bestial Roar, there's Chimera (level 14), Nue (21), Neko Shogun (27), and Narasimha (34).

KingEffingFrost
Jul 9, 2011

Extreme corset action!
The one thing about Swordbreaker is that it's very hard to transfer to anything else. I have a Valkyrie with it, and nothing that I've been potentially able to fuse can inherit it. That said, I don't mind using Aigis. She's pretty good as a tank, and as a tank. Death Counter is a Good Skill.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

So for the EO vets in this thread, how do the difficulty levels in this compare to other EO games?
It feels like a joke up through three stratums so far on the hardest difficulty setting.

Seriously don't play this game for difficulty. I suspect they really had to pull it back so people could play as literally anyone through the sub-persona system, while also excising away any other sort of customization.

That said there is the occasional "whoops I ran into a FOE by accident and died" and the always classic ambushed and one rounded because it's a new floor and you weren't sure what the new enemies do. Bosses are mostly for entertainment value.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Nov 29, 2014

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Armor-Piercing posted:

Valkyrie and Red Rider get Swordbreaker at level 32, Narasimha at 35. For Bestial Roar, there's Chimera (level 14), Nue (21), Neko Shogun (27), and Narasimha (34).

That's kind of a shame, unique skills for Main Personas would have been a good way to differentiate the characters and encourage leveling up everyone.

Not that I'm not planning on exploiting that to the hilt, its just a missed opportunity.

quote:

I'll probably still try to beat it but I should have chosen the P3 cast because I just can't loving take anyone from Persona 4 anymore because they all looped from being endearing to annoying, except Marie who is intentionally bad, therefore good.

I think the problem is that they took an already light and breezy game and tried to make everyone lighter and breezier. You can't make Chie any more perky and dumb than she is in P4 without turning her into a caricature.

By contrast, smoothing out the rough edges made the Persona 3 crew so much more fun. They were all pretty flawed in P3, so having everyone together and not at each others' throats is a nice change of pace.

Mind you, there have still been plenty of enjoyable scenes. Yosuke and Kanji are still good. Naoto's new VA throws me off, she's way more brusque.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I dunno, I only played 4 and Untold Odyssey and I feel it's just about the same difficulty as those if not only slightly easier. I'd call it a introduction to the EO formula rather then a game of the same vein.

Then again I didn't fully get into EO despite beating both of them because I was constantly worrying about resetting levels and oh man I put this one point in the wrong spot didn't I I bet I hosed up.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Beef Waifu posted:

Labrys and Sho not being in this game is also a big negative, yes.

Also Metis and P3-FemC.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Technically Metis and FeMC don't exist.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
It's a fan service game, there's no technicalities. Lack of female MC was a big negative imo

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

But you see, this game is canon, which is something FeMC is not.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

So were the fighting games and they still didn't exist in those.

They won't exist in DAN either because all of these games are canon.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
They should've gone a bit nuttier, even just making them secret recruitable teammates would've added a bit to them being like "Yo it's a fun fanservice game, go nuts!" It's whatever though.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

It would have been nice, yeah.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
i dunno, adding all those characters would probably involve a lot of awkwardly writing around explaining who they are and why they're there. if they'd just made the game take place after arena it'd be fine, but as it is it'd be kind of distracting from the main plot.

the other option would be to just put them in the party selection without any explanation, but i don't really see the point in adding more characters if they wouldn't get any spoken lines outside battle.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Butt Ghost posted:

But you see, this game is canon, which is something FeMC is not.
I thought the idol dance game they're making was canon, not this one

Inflammatory posted:

i dunno, adding all those characters would probably involve a lot of awkwardly writing around explaining who they are and why they're there. if they'd just made the game take place after arena it'd be fine, but as it is it'd be kind of distracting from the main plot.

the other option would be to just put them in the party selection without any explanation, but i don't really see the point in adding more characters if they wouldn't get any spoken lines outside battle.
If SRW can do it with over 30 years of mecha anime series, then I think Persona can be okay :colbert:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The entire game is rendered pointless by one thing that happens.

Rascyc posted:

All of the spinoffs are pointless, this one might as well not even be canon though.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
i really do wish they'd made this game take place after arena or something to make it not a forgone conclusion that everyone's memories are going to be wiped at the end.

like, the etrian odyssey dungeon crawling in crazy persona settings is really cool and it'd be nice to see it again in a game where the writing is less restricted.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

So for the EO vets in this thread, how do the difficulty levels in this compare to other EO games?

I'm no EO master or anything but it's been pretty easy so far. Like, I beat the first two dungeon bosses on my first try.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
on a more positive note, gently caress yeah just got mara from beating a foe.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Is it just me or are the lovely dolls way tougher than the big old doll, because the former seem to be way better at dodging and spamming Megidola. :argh:

e: Also, I insulted Junpei's jokes and everyone regained some HP. I love this game.

Strange Quark fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Nov 30, 2014

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Strange Quark posted:

Is it just me or are the lovely dolls way tougher than the big old doll, because the former seem to be way better at dodging and spamming Megidola. :argh:

i didn't even know they used megidola but yeah, most of their attacks aren't that dangerous, they're just so loving hard to hit. i tried fighting the old doll for a bit too, but it had way more health than i felt like fighting through. :effort:

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

The Old Doll is more dangerous IMO (Mamudoon into Evil Smile into Diarahan is just ugly) but the Lovely Dolls are incredibly annoying because of their dodging. I think the agility bind circle would be more useful against them, although magic bind lasts forever on them if you get it to land.

And honestly if PQ is even a moderate success it wouldn't surprise me if we got a sequel / similar game. Atlus was quick to follow up on P4 Arena and on Etrian Odyssey Untold, after all.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Inflammatory posted:

You couldn't do this game after Arena because the P3 MC would be dead, that's why they do the weird time travel thing for the P3 cast in the first place. And Metis would still not exist. If they were gonna add these characters they'd have to make the game not canon. But it is, so they won't. :shrug:

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Rascyc posted:

That's what we all thought too, but Atlus came out at some point and said it's canon. Literally nothing in PQ has any affect on the series, as far as I'm aware, so it doesn't really matter.

Manatee Cannon posted:

And Metis would still not exist. If they were gonna add these characters they'd have to make the game not canon. But it is, so they won't. :shrug:
They could, and just explain it away with time travel, forget you later nonsense.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

is this game actually canon?

I know I put that in the title but I was kinda joking

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Yu taking over as battle leader of the Shadow Operatives and bringing his squad of corn-fed asskickers with him is really enticing. It would be interesting seeing the Investigation Team face the same pressures that SEES did. People dying, world ending, betrayal, stuff like that.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Cake Attack posted:

It was confirmed as canon after the game hit stores in Japan.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Cake Attack posted:

yeah, atlus has said that the game is canon but that it would be spoilers to explain why.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

So I just got into the 3rd maze and I'm not enjoying the setting :shepface:

Got to the point where some baby thing dropped behind the group and ran from it. Is that the jump scare? It didn't seem that bad...

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That wasn't even a jump scare.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

So I just got into the 3rd maze and I'm not enjoying the setting :shepface:

Got to the point where some baby thing dropped behind the group and ran from it. Is that the jump scare? It didn't seem that bad...

Nope, it's later in that labyrinth.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Beef Waifu posted:

That wasn't even a jump scare.

I wanted to pretend it was.

I wanted to pretend I was a big man who isn't jumpy as all hell.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
The theme of the fourth labyrinth is so good.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I wanted to pretend it was.

I wanted to pretend I was a big man who isn't jumpy as all hell.

Don't worry, I'm not looking forward to it any more than you. I'm bitchmade as hell.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Vengarr posted:

Yu taking over as battle leader of the Shadow Operatives and bringing his squad of corn-fed asskickers with him is really enticing. It would be interesting seeing the Investigation Team face the same pressures that SEES did. People dying, world ending, betrayal, stuff like that.

Not to be That Guy Who Argue Too Much About Persona, but they kind of went through pretty rough stuff as well. But yeah, I'll agree P3 had a pretty overbearing feeling that wasn't in P4, at least until December.

Iceclaw fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Nov 30, 2014

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Vengarr posted:

all three of those happen in p4 though

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
gently caress these white cloak assholes and their continous use of Magarula to try and gently caress my team.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I can't stand horror stuff, but the song that plays during one of the FOE pursuits in the third labyrinth is actually really chill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

What's a good level to do the "Investigate You in Wonderland" request? That drat beetle is kicking my rear end.

• Locked thread