Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

LesterGroans posted:

Yeah, pretty much. It's not exactly a stretch to think that a corporation would be displeased with only making the same ridiculous amount of money instead of making an even more ridiculous amount of money.

Shareholders would eat the execs alive way before the dinosaurs if they settled for a zero growth strategy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Seriously, Disney World doesn't constantly add new things and update old poo poo just for the heck of it

edit: If you think about it, Duffy the Bear and the new hybrid dino are basically the same thing :v:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Mr. Flunchy posted:

They don't have to have shrinking attendance figures, just ones that're not growing as fast as they used to.

Pretty sure that's how it's described on the Masrani viral marketing site; a slowing of the attendance curve with seasonal spikes around American summer vacation. They want the park to be on fire like it was the first couple of summers, all year round.

If the park was being run by Disney I could imagine them pulling some Video Vault poo poo on all but a few mainstay dino species and keeping the other slots in a perpetual rotation. "Ankylosaurus will only be available for a limited time, catch them now before they go extinct again!"

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Nov 30, 2014

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

There are news stories on that Masrani site about rumors in the media of declining attendance being denied by the JW people.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=If1aP51aqcE
Hilton Isla Nublar ad :allears:

Interesting interview with the director that explains a lot of the things going on in the movie
http://spinoff.comicbookresources.com/2014/11/29/jurassic-world-director-talks-new-dinos-raptor-training-and-more/

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I thought the big about Chris Pratt's raptor squad was interesting:

quote:

“Owen’s relationship with the raptors is complicated. They aren’t friends. These animals are nasty and dangerous and they’ll bite your head off if you make the wrong move. But there are men and women out there today who have forged tenuous connections with dangerous predators. That’s interesting territory to me.”

Which makes it sound like they aren't simply tamed raptors. Something could trigger his raptors going too out of control

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

In the pic of the gift shop, there's a sticker of a feathered raptor up on the wall, unlike the actual raptors running around -which makes me think that they're going for the "they're all gross designed by committee mutants rather than real dinosaurs" angle. Explains the Godzilla size moasaur too.

Misandrist Duck
Oct 22, 2012
It's also entirely possible that both Chris Pratt and the raptors are running away from something, and it isn't worth their time to stop and eat him.

Wonder what it might be.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Misandrist Duck posted:

It's also entirely possible that both Chris Pratt and the raptors are running away from something, and it isn't worth their time to stop and eat him.

Wonder what it might be.

People who say things like this bug me, because it's literally already public knowledge that Chris Pratt's character revolves around having successfully tamed raptors. :psyduck:

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Maybe some people avoid spoiler sites.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Humboldt Squid posted:

In the pic of the gift shop, there's a sticker of a feathered raptor up on the wall, unlike the actual raptors running around -which makes me think that they're going for the "they're all gross designed by committee mutants rather than real dinosaurs" angle. Explains the Godzilla size moasaur too.

That'd be a solid throwaway joke, yea.

"Wait why do all these dinosaurs look different than the ones in the park?"

"Oh, those were designed by our ad guys to get the most tickets sold."

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars
I hope this results in Operation Genesis V2 or even a freaking Lego Jurassic Park game, and to be super optimistic Trespasser V2.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

SirDrone posted:

I hope this results in Operation Genesis V2 or even a freaking Lego Jurassic Park game, and to be super optimistic Trespasser V2.
Operation Genesis could have been so much better than it was, I mean seriously they limited the game so much by putting caps on everything!

At least you can mod the files to get rid of those caps though.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

SirDrone posted:

I'd be super surprised if we didn't at least get a Lego game, we got one for Indiana Jones when Crystal Skull was a thing and they haven't announced their games they're gonna do next year after all.

We better get some kinda bad rear end dinosaur survival horror game out of this, though, doesn't even have to be JP themed, just get 'dinosaurs are fuckin scary' back in the pool of ideas.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Tatum Girlparts posted:

We better get some kinda bad rear end dinosaur survival horror game out of this, though, doesn't even have to be JP themed, just get 'dinosaurs are fuckin scary' back in the pool of ideas.
I think the video game world is ready, its been over a decade since that really lovely Turok game on the PS2, I think we can have fun games with dinosaurs again

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Did you know there was a 360/PC/PS3 Turok game? Probably better if you didn't because it's a game where you play as a space marine shooting other space marines and then tapping the Y button to instantly kill any dinosaur that comes near you in the few instances where they show up. Hilarious waste of everyone's time/money/etc.

I'm hyped for this movie though, I disliked Lost World and Jurassic Park but this looks too awesome.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Nobody's considered the possibility that the raptors have trained Chris Pratt to ride a motorcycle.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Spalec posted:

I hope if the film has an after-credits scene it's just Ian Malcom watching the news reports of the incident and just going " I said this would happen, didn't I? :ughh:"

The entire end credits should be over Jeff Goldblum watching the news, eating popcorn and laughing.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
The SJW in me wonders just how long it takes for Bryce Dallas Howard's character to go from business-casual dressed to Sweaty In A Tight Tank Top.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Clearly she should stay immaculate in appearance even during a dinosaur apocalypse. Stop perpetuating impossible and unfair beauty standards for women.

GeekyManatee
Jul 12, 2011

MisterBibs posted:

The SJW in me wonders just how long it takes for Bryce Dallas Howard's character to go from business-casual dressed to Sweaty In A Tight Tank Top.

As long as we get Chris Pratt down to his skivvies, being chased by velociraptors in the rain.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style

Sailor-Arrakis posted:

As long as we get Chris Pratt down to his skivvies, being chased by velociraptors in the rain.

http://imgur.com/gallery/DFUIO

gnomewife
Oct 24, 2010

Wandle Cax posted:

Clearly she should stay immaculate in appearance even during a dinosaur apocalypse. Stop perpetuating impossible and unfair beauty standards for women.

Well, no. Laura Dern managed to stay fully clothed in her film. I honestly can't remember enough of the sequels, but it's not like a dinosaur killing spree requires clothing removal.

If she's wearing like, a suit, it makes sense though. I don't want to run through the jungle in a suit.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Yeah, I'm cautiously optimistic about this movie. There's not a chance in hell that it's going to be as good as the first one - as a few people mentioned, the original Jurassic Park really is one of those rare movies that does what it sets out to do perfectly - but I'll honestly be satisfied if this movie is a solid "good."

I'm not one of those people that hates all CGI, and I'm not going to judge the quality of it based on a teaser promo, but I do hope they use practical effects if the scene calls for it. Not holding my breath though, since that shark in the feeding scene was like a perfect example of when CGI was the inferior choice.

Add me to the list of people hoping that this means more Jurassic Park games, too. A new Operation Genesis would be amazing, and considering how popular Zoo Tycoon is, I can't imagine they aren't going to do it. A surprise Dino Crisis sequel would be pretty great too, provided it isn't in space this time.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

A Jurassic Park MOBA might be the only positive thing to ever come out of the entire awful genre.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
You don't want a new Jurassic Park video game because Ubisoft would get it and it would just be Far Cry with dinosaurs.

Wait that might not be all that bad...

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

mr.capps posted:

You don't want a new Jurassic Park video game because Ubisoft would get it and it would just be Far Cry with dinosaurs.

Wait that might not be all that bad...

Uhh that would be terrible because I'd have to buy an Ubisoft product

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

SirDrone posted:

Funny you should mention a Lego JP game, as they tease it in the credits for Lego Batman 3.

http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/lego-jurassic-parks-probably-coming-next-year/1100-5090/

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Weird niche game companies already got the cash-in covered: http://news.thehunter.com/introducing-thehunter-primal/

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
And of course everybody always forgets about Primal Carnage, the team deathmatch game where you can play as dinosaurs: http://primalcarnage.com/

The human team are even dressed like generic Jurassic Park Action Figure Dudes.

edit: I suppose I should've linked the first game which is actually available for purchase: http://store.steampowered.com/app/215470/

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

oddium posted:

Uhh that would be terrible because I'd have to buy an Ubisoft product

kill five velicoratpors to build a bigger wallet

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
A couple of questions I've seen pop up about the backstory stuff of the movie gets answered on the Masrani Global website. In particular, these several paragraphs are on the ill-advised push for more park goers:

quote:

Despite scientific advancements, Jurassic World continued to spark debate. Within the last three years, despite visitor rates climbing, the peak in numbers continued to appear during the American school holiday season, where staff on Isla Nublar are operating at 100% capacity.

Masrani Corporation's Chief Operations Officer Mr. Richard Wiesner described the year's success as merely acceptable. "You can't expect the world's greatest theme park to merely rely on the same attractions. We need to be proactive, thinking of bigger and better things. Isla Nublar only peaks in attendance during the American holiday season. Why? Proximity. The world has seen what we have to offer, but they aren't in awe as they once used to be. We need to change that. We have a chance to over the upcoming few years."

Despite speculations in the media that Jurassic World might be seen as a slowing attraction, investors can enjoy last month's announcement of a further 300 hotel rooms to be built on the island. Some big plans are coming, so stay tuned in 2014.

So yeah, "It's the investors' fault" is the answer.

EDIT: Oh, and signing up for Raptor Pass gets you some movie stills, it's alright I guess.

Oblivion4568238 fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Nov 30, 2014

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)
Wasn't the Telltale Jurassic Park game supposed to be good?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

User-Friendly posted:

I hear the story is good, but it has a lot of technical problems. I bought it on PSN for $1 months ago. I really should play it before World comes out.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

User-Friendly posted:

Basically it was the last game before Telltale figured out the 'Walking Dead' style adventure game format, and it's full of 'press button now!!! oh you lost, do it again!!!' events instead of meaningful choices or interesting puzzles. They were experimenting and it didn't work out.

It's not worth more than $5 tops, but if you can pick it up really cheap and don't mind it being kind of bland it's okay.

sulphix
Dec 15, 2008
So, it's like this movie and Mad Max that I can't wait for next year. Star Wars? What Star Wars???

MisterBibs posted:

Hopefully like 5 seconds. Maybe it will be the Bayonetta crossover where the more unclothed the characters become, the more ridiculous the combo! Joking aside, I find the 'Deep Blue Sea' comparisons funny, because Deep Blue Sea is basically Jurassic Park, but with sharks. The T-Rex Jeep attack from the first one is still one of (if not the best) scene of the series, curious how the seemingly singular "super-Dino' will compare in terms of "set-pieces". Can't wait for Raptors hunters the super-Dino, seems like the natural consequence of what's been shown off.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

User-Friendly posted:

No. That was when Telltale was at its worst.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

I know this is from a couple pages back, but I am delighted how everything except the raptor hands on that wooden kiosk are actual JP toys rebranded from the previous movie lines. Fantastic.

Also SMG, could you go into a little more how the Spinosaurus from 3 represents cynicism? I can sort of see that, seeing how it literally killed the defining representation of the previous films in the T-Rex, is there anything else?

Just Offscreen fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Dec 1, 2014

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
Jurassic Park III is an odd film; it feels like a comedy and nobody dies in the last two-thirds of the film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
The Spinosaurus definitely feels like an early version of the new Ubersaur. Like it's a product of a committee saying "We need something more awesome and badass than T-Rex," both in the film itself and in reality.

• Locked thread