Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quaternion Cat
Feb 19, 2011

Affeline Space

Niggurath posted:

If you're using an MP4 then I think most people will tell you not to use directshowsource and instead go for FFMS2. Granted it is an external plug-in so you'll need to do a little bit more to get it running, but it's the way to go.

Yeah, overall it's giving me what I want; I don't exactly need any animations. And I wasn't sure if I needed an end point in all of the functions of not, I'm a bit poo poo when it comes to some things in functions. The only real issue I'm getting now is with the gap function. It ends up staying too zoomed in and it cuts off the image which you might be talking about with the crop. I uploaded the short video for it: http://youtu.be/SpaLM-t1tL0 How does it look to you?

Oh god that 3D at the end is almost nauseating for me! Anyway yeah, lose the crop, and maybe try MDS_SideWaysCGap or the default on MDS_SideWaysGap (the gap param is optional) for that bit - you may actually just want to make a custom layout with the 'ahead' looking window centred, and the side one with a gap but running offscreen or something? You could also use MDS_SideWays instead of MDS_RotateEffectSub for the conversation sections - the latter only really only exists for the animated rotation transition that you're not using, or I guess as you are here, fitting it inside a 4:3 window.

edit ps there's a human name in your example's avi path that may be yours, idk if you care about hiding that kind of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Mastigophoran posted:

Oh god that 3D at the end is almost nauseating for me! Anyway yeah, lose the crop, and maybe try MDS_SideWaysCGap or the default on MDS_SideWaysGap (the gap param is optional) for that bit - you may actually just want to make a custom layout with the 'ahead' looking window centred, and the side one with a gap but running offscreen or something? You could also use MDS_SideWays instead of MDS_RotateEffectSub for the conversation sections - the latter only really only exists for the animated rotation transition that you're not using, or I guess as you are here, fitting it inside a 4:3 window.

edit ps there's a human name in your example's avi path that may be yours, idk if you care about hiding that kind of thing.
Aye, that's my name but it's not too big a deal being there. But you're totally right about the crop and that seems to have fixed the issue with that section. You're massively right though that that part is nauseating, but sadly the game relies on this panoramic view for the movement parts and I'm not totally sure if it's a good idea to limit the view down to one screen. I'm probably just going to try out the default partition in the center and see what people think of that, but I can't even begin to say how great your functions are. They are amazingly professional and they look so clean.

Quaternion Cat
Feb 19, 2011

Affeline Space

Niggurath posted:

They are amazingly professional and they look so clean.

I think it may have more to do with :spergin: than actual bona fide professionalism, but thanks! Good luck with your nightmare puke inducing fun looking DS adventure game, hopefully having a wider gap will make all the difference.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
Out of curiosity, does MAME have any sort of built in audio/video recording tool or should i just use fraps/OBS?

Rotwang Gorbochoff
Sep 24, 2010

For her, all seven deadly sins!
Hi all I was wondering if there is a guide or something for installing/ using the FFMS2 plug in because everything I see on the download site is reading like complete gibberish to me. Also will the FFMS2 plug in help me with the problem I've been having with my AVS files not loading in MeGUI or Vdub mod? For reference I've been using the Directshowsource because it's been the only thing that will load videos for me.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Short version:
- Download newest version here: https://github.com/FFMS/ffms2/releases
- Extract the appropriate DLL as well as the FFMS2.avsi to your Avisynth install's Plugin folder. (In most cases this is the ffms2.dll in the 7z's x86 folder going to c:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\)
- And that should be it. If it doesn't work, manually write a LoadPlugin statement at the top of your script, ie LoadPlugin("c:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\ffms2.dll").

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Nov 25, 2014

Rotwang Gorbochoff
Sep 24, 2010

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Short version:
- Download newest version here: https://github.com/FFMS/ffms2/releases
- Extract the appropriate DLL as well as the FFMS2.avsi to your Avisynth install's Plugin folder. (In most cases this is the ffms2.dll in the 7z's x86 folder going to c:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\)
- And that should be it. If it doesn't work, manually write a LoadPlugin statement at the top of your script, ie LoadPlugin("c:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\ffms2.dll").

Thanks everything seems to be working right again.

Rotwang Gorbochoff fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Nov 25, 2014

leekster
Jun 20, 2013
Hello all. Just have a quick question regarding voicemeeter and using it to record in a special circumstance. I help run an ArmA group and I'd like to start recording some of our missions. I've got everything set up but how to record the audio. It's a little bit puzzling because one of our mods uses an outside application for voice. We use a mod that simulates a 3D radio environment in teamspeak. The trouble I'm having is how do I set up the VAC/Voicemeeter to record the audio of myself and friends from teamspeak and also the game audio. Thank you for your help!

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Is there a all in one tool I could use that will let me cut/edit a video and save it in webm format?

This isn't for LP's but I was told to ask here.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Record the footage at 60 fps with whatever video recorder you want to use, then use this handy dandy tool to convert it to webm. VLC can do lossless video chopping if your source vid is too long or short or you just want a certain section of it.

edit: Here is an instructional WebM on the step by step process for how to use WebMConverter to make a WebM. Replace FRAPS with your recorder of choice.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

CJacobs posted:

Record the footage at 60 fps with whatever video recorder you want to use, then use this handy dandy tool to convert it to webm. VLC can do lossless video chopping if your source vid is too long or short or you just want a certain section of it.

Hey, that even supports AviSynth scripts, unlike some other WebM tools I've tried. That's great. Presumably it's because it uses DirectShow or whatever makes AVS work in the first place.

ZombieIsland
Jan 21, 2011

The name is Sherlock Holmes and the address is 221B Baker Street
Hey guys, I'm having a really annoying sync problem with my Elgato capture card. I want to capture the audio and video separate, so I am recording the game with the elgato software and my audio with audacity, but when I go to adobe premier and try to sync them both I cannot get them to sync at all. It seems the elgato has a 1 second or so delay. Is there a work around with this or am I just editing horribly.
Also, I tried recording the audio through the elgato at the same time, and while it is slightly better, there is still a noticeable delay.

Thanks guys.

Edit - Also when I bought my elgato originally about a month ago, I intended to use it for streaming and its been fine with that because I am able to set my mic delay by 1.5 seconds or so though obs.

ZombieIsland fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Nov 28, 2014

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

ZombieIsland posted:

Hey guys, I'm having a really annoying sync problem with my Elgato capture card. I want to capture the audio and video separate, so I am recording the game with the elgato software and my audio with audacity, but when I go to adobe premier and try to sync them both I cannot get them to sync at all. It seems the elgato has a 1 second or so delay. Is there a work around with this or am I just editing horribly.
Also, I tried recording the audio through the elgato at the same time, and while it is slightly better, there is still a noticeable delay.

Thanks guys.
So are you saying that when you capture a video with the elgato that has audio, the audio is desynced? What settings are you using with the elgato and are you using HDMI, or what types of inputs are you using? Honestly if you're wanting the audio from a video, then normally I'd just record a video normally and you can rip the audio out of it later with Audacity.

ZombieIsland
Jan 21, 2011

Niggurath posted:

So are you saying that when you capture a video with the elgato that has audio, the audio is desynced? What settings are you using with the elgato and are you using HDMI, or what types of inputs are you using? Honestly if you're wanting the audio from a video, then normally I'd just record a video normally and you can rip the audio out of it later with Audacity.

Sorry, not the game audio. I mean my commentary is what I'm recording in audacity and I can't get it to sync up with the video I record.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

ZombieIsland posted:

Sorry, not the game audio. I mean my commentary is what I'm recording in audacity and I can't get it to sync up with the video I record.

You can't get it to sync up by timeshifting it? It's common that different capture devices have different delays, so you will have to shift one of the signals if you want them to sync up.

Or do you mean that one or the other runs faster than the other, so the delay might be 0 at the start, but then gradually increases?

The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

How are you syncing it? Doing a 1, 2, 3 on the main menu? Does it gradually desync over time?

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

ZombieIsland posted:

It seems the elgato has a 1 second or so delay. Is there a work around with this or am I just editing horribly.

...move the audio track ahead/behind by 1 second?

ZombieIsland
Jan 21, 2011

Thanks guys, I figured out what I was doing wrong. I'm just a bad editor and need to learn more about premiere. Thanks everyone for your help.

leekster
Jun 20, 2013
So I figured out how to record ArmA, Teamspeak, and myself all at once, I'm using Dxtory and voicemeeter. But now I'm running into an issue that whenever I open up my recording in an editor (premiere) I can only hear one of those audio tracks, whereas if I open it in a video player proper (windows media player) I can hear all the tracks normally. Is there a setting I have to mark to hear all the channels? Or am I missing something vital?

Quaternion Cat
Feb 19, 2011

Affeline Space

leekster posted:

So I figured out how to record ArmA, Teamspeak, and myself all at once, I'm using Dxtory and voicemeeter. But now I'm running into an issue that whenever I open up my recording in an editor (premiere) I can only hear one of those audio tracks, whereas if I open it in a video player proper (windows media player) I can hear all the tracks normally. Is there a setting I have to mark to hear all the channels? Or am I missing something vital?

Windows Media Player is not doing what it should be doing because it is uh, dumb? I guess? Players ought not to normally play multiple audio streams/tracks at once, since for example, you wouldn't want every language for a multilingual video to play at once.

Regardless of this, as to how to achieve a useful output wrt audio in premiere, I'm afraid I can't help you - maybe you can export each track load them all in and edit them with the video all together without too much trouble, but I have no idea.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Mastigophoran posted:

Windows Media Player is not doing what it should be doing because it is uh, dumb? I guess? Players ought not to normally play multiple audio streams/tracks at once, since for example, you wouldn't want every language for a multilingual video to play at once.

Oh, right, this is a known bug in Windows Media Player. Yeah, for some reason Windows Media Player does something truly strange if there are multiple audio tracks. I think what it turns out to do is pick all tracks of a given language that are the highest audio rate. So if you have a 44.1KHz track and a 48KHz track, it'll play just the 48KHz track, but if they're both 44.1KHz, it plays both. Or maybe that was a different player I'm thinking of. I just remember that Windows Media Player didn't do what you'd want if given multiple audio tracks.

Not that this solves the Premiere issue, but since I don't have Premiere, I really can't help with that.

leekster
Jun 20, 2013
I've circumvented the problem by extracting the audio with AVS, editing/aligning it in audacity, exporting it as one track from there, and finally putting it into premiere. A bit time consuming but not the worst thing ever!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Premiere should totally be able to play multiple audio tracks at the same time, however, it must be enabled in the audio's channel ticker box. If the box isn't checked (And isn't by default last I checked) it won't play your 2nd track along with the first.

Note: I may be misremembering, and it may be the actual sound icon to the far left. In any case, its that bar/area and allows you to listen to all the audio tracks at the same time as long as they are enabled.

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Nov 29, 2014

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
It's the sound icon that enables and disables a track. The boxes you're pointing at lock tracks so no changes can be made to them. No idea why it's not playing properly in that case, though.

Rotwang Gorbochoff
Sep 24, 2010

Hey all I've been having troubles with FFMS2 and MeGUI. It seems that most times MeGUI will not load the audio for my videos now, for reference I'm currently using this code for my videos.
code:
AudioDubEX(FFVideoSource("f:\recorded movies\ASAMU\ASAMU 1-1.avi"),FFAudioSource("f:\recorded movies\ASAMU\ASAMU 1-1.avi"))
Now I've used just AudioDub as well and both work with Vdub and MPC, it's just MeGUI that will not convert the audio. I've also made separate, just audio clips, and they still won't encode. Is there something I'm missing, or is it just do the audio in Premiere?

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Rotwang Gorbochoff posted:

Hey all I've been having troubles with FFMS2 and MeGUI. It seems that most times MeGUI will not load the audio for my videos now, for reference I'm currently using this code for my videos.
code:
AudioDubEX(FFVideoSource("f:\recorded movies\ASAMU\ASAMU 1-1.avi"),FFAudioSource("f:\recorded movies\ASAMU\ASAMU 1-1.avi"))
Now I've used just AudioDub as well and both work with Vdub and MPC, it's just MeGUI that will not convert the audio. I've also made separate, just audio clips, and they still won't encode. Is there something I'm missing, or is it just do the audio in Premiere?

If it works in VDub, why not export the audio as a WAV and use that, at least as a workaround?

Rotwang Gorbochoff
Sep 24, 2010

Nidoking posted:

If it works in VDub, why not export the audio as a WAV and use that, at least as a workaround?

Because I am not a clever man, thanks I didn't realize that Vdub had that ability.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Recording and encoding on a new SSD, good idea or best idea?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Recording and encoding are going to be CPU-bound, not IO-bound, so you don't really need an SSD for that.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
Well, if you opt to record uncompressed, I guess you could generate enough I/O to require an SSD. It'd also be monumentally stupid.

As has been brought up elsewhere, SSDs have a limited number of writes before they croak. For both recording and encoding video, you're basically doing a sequential large number of writes, so this shouldn't be a giant issue. Unless you intend to re-encode the file multiple times for some reason.

Basically you may decrease the lifetime of the SSD a very small amount by recording/encoding to it, and you won't really get any sort of speedup from it, so if you have a giant HDD sitting around, you might as well use that.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Xenoveritas posted:

As has been brought up elsewhere, SSDs have a limited number of writes before they croak. For both recording and encoding video, you're basically doing a sequential large number of writes, so this shouldn't be a giant issue. Unless you intend to re-encode the file multiple times for some reason.

Basically you may decrease the lifetime of the SSD a very small amount by recording/encoding to it, and you won't really get any sort of speedup from it, so if you have a giant HDD sitting around, you might as well use that.

By a very, very small amount yes. In practice an SSD will not die from write-wear unless you intentionally torture it.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Yeah, the Intel 730 I just bought considers writing the whole thing 500 times over to be normal and expected use over the 5 year warranty period.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

dis astranagant posted:

Yeah, the Intel 730 I just bought considers writing the whole thing 500 times over to be normal and expected use over the 5 year warranty period.

You're probably missing a 0 or two from your number there. Or else you're not gonna reach that 50* GB a day for five years that they warrant it for by a long shot.

(240 GB version, 70 GB for the 480 GB version.)

Wearing out your SSD is a thing of the past. Unless you intentionally attempt to do so. But the same could be argued for HDDs where you can wear out the head motor by continually making it seek back and forth, just to prove you can wear it out.

Geemer fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Dec 2, 2014

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
getting a ssd will help me record lp's if i have a pentium 2 right?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Geemer posted:

You're probably missing a 0 or two from your number there. Or else you're not gonna reach that 50* GB a day for five years that they warrant it for by a long shot.

(240 GB version, 70 GB for the 480 GB version.)

Wearing out your SSD is a thing of the past. Unless you intentionally attempt to do so. But the same could be argued for HDDs where you can wear out the head motor by continually making it seek back and forth, just to prove you can wear it out.

Was back of the envelope figures at 1/3 of the drive a day for 1500 days, forgot about the difference between 240 and 480 gb daily loads. Looks like the actual number is 380, but plenty of people have gotten them to last longer in testing.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
OK I have 10 Shadowplay part files I want to spit out into one stupidly long clip - I know it has problems with variable fps so how do I do this properly?

I don't even want to edit, really, just bring in the video and audio from each one in order and join them all into one thing, then output a final smaller than 35 gigabytes.

right now I've got this:
code:
LoadPlugin("c:\path\to\ffms2.dll")
Import("ffms2.avsi")
clip0=ffmpegsource2("part0.mp4", threads=1, fpsnum=60)
[...]
clip9=ffmpegsource2("part9.mp4", threads=1, fpsnum=60)

finalclip = clip0+clip1+clip2+ [...] +clip9

return finalclip
Can someone tell me if I'm missing something obvious before I set my computer to suffer on this overnight? I'm not really that good at merging multiple clips together, I usually miss something, so I'd like to get this right first instead of my typical fumble-around-and-hope-it-works approach.

More specifically, I'm almost certainly not calling the audio properly, but I don't know exactly how to do it.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Psion posted:

OK I have 10 Shadowplay part files I want to spit out into one stupidly long clip - I know it has problems with variable fps so how do I do this properly?

I don't even want to edit, really, just bring in the video and audio from each one in order and join them all into one thing, then output a final smaller than 35 gigabytes.

right now I've got this:
code:
LoadPlugin("c:\path\to\ffms2.dll")
Import("ffms2.avsi")
clip0=ffmpegsource2("part0.mp4", threads=1, fpsnum=60)
[...]
clip9=ffmpegsource2("part9.mp4", threads=1, fpsnum=60)

finalclip = clip0+clip1+clip2+ [...] +clip9

return finalclip
Can someone tell me if I'm missing something obvious before I set my computer to suffer on this overnight? I'm not really that good at merging multiple clips together, I usually miss something, so I'd like to get this right first instead of my typical fumble-around-and-hope-it-works approach.

More specifically, I'm almost certainly not calling the audio properly, but I don't know exactly how to do it.
Well have you actually tried playing the script to see if there are any errors or audio problems that occur? It does appear like your ffmegsource line doesn't really match up with what I normally have, which is:

code:
FFMpegSource2("video file name here", vtrack=-1, atrack=-1, threads=1)
I'd say to try to add in the vtrack and atrack if you do happen to run into any issues.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I was letting it generate index files while I wrote it up and didn't mean to hit post just yet :shobon:

but, yes. MPC-HC played video, but no audio. Added the atrack and vtrack lines and the audio still didn't play. Maybe I did that wrong, but I had this:
code:
clip0=FFmpegSource2("part0.mp4", threads=1, vtrack = -1, atrack = -2, fpsnum=60)
etc.

I'm wondering if it's all the splices not splicing audio as well as video?

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Psion posted:

I was letting it generate index files while I wrote it up and didn't mean to hit post just yet :shobon:

but, yes. MPC-HC played video, but no audio. Added the atrack and vtrack lines and the audio still didn't play. Maybe I did that wrong, but I had this:
code:
clip0=FFmpegSource2("part0.mp4", threads=1, vtrack = -1, atrack = -2, fpsnum=60)
etc.

I'm wondering if it's all the splices not splicing audio as well as video?
Well from a quick look at the manual for ffmegsource:

quote:

vtrack and atrack are the video and audio track to open, respectively; setting atrack <= -2 means audio is disabled.

So you might want to track atrack = -1 instead of -2? But you could also try to see if even a single mp4 will work first before adding in all the other lines, just to make sure that initial line works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Niggurath posted:

Well from a quick look at the manual for ffmegsource:

So you might want to track atrack = -1 instead of -2? But you could also try to see if even a single mp4 will work first before adding in all the other lines, just to make sure that initial line works.

aha. Yes, that's the trick. atrack = -1 works perfectly. Thanks! I must've missed that in looking at the same manual - the example has it as -2 and reading is hard I guess!