Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
You really can't go wrong with Seven Samurai.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MystOpportunity
Jun 27, 2004
Stacked the black friday coupon to get the Tati set on blurary for about $44 shipped– how can you not?

Punch Drunk Drewsky
Jul 22, 2008

No one can stop the movies.

Akarshi posted:

gently caress, with the 50% off and the BN.com code, I can't decide which Criterion to get as my first one. Anyone have any recs? Out of films that are Criterion ones, I've watched In The Mood For Love, Hausu, Beauty and the Beast, Francis Ha, and Blue is the Warmest Color (all on streaming). Not sure if I should get one I haven't seen before, or one I have.

Do the Right Thing or Hoop Dreams.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

It's been a while since I bought some Criterions so this was a treat.

A Brief History of Time
A Hard Day's Night
Eraserhead
Scanners
Thief

I've already seen most of these (except Thief which I look forward to) but it should be nice to watch them again with the Criterion treatment.

And yes, Seven Samurai is a great choice. It was one of my first Criterions too, though I'm rather partial to Kagemusha as far as Kurosawas are concerned.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I don't know what to get. I've been eyeing Judex, Riot on Cell Block 13, Lord of the Flies, and It's Mad Mad Mad World. However, my girlfriend got me one of these for Christmas and don't want to risk getting the one she already got me.

Any suggestions? I have most of the Kurasawa I want. I'm thinking something noirish. I have Ace in the Hole, Night of the Hunter, and The Spy Who Came From The Cold.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Speaking of Kurosawa, is it at all likely that any of his earlier films (Mainly the underrated Sanshiro Sugata) will ever get decent Blu-Ray releases by Criterion?

Detective No. 27 posted:

I'm thinking something noirish. I have Ace in the Hole, Night of the Hunter, and The Spy Who Came From The Cold.

Kubrick's The Killing?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

A Kubrick and a noir? Two birds with one stone. I like it.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Kiss Me Deadly is also a nice choice.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I was planning on skipping the sale this year, but the extra 30% off coupon today swayed me. Picked up the Monsters and Madmen set, came to $30 shipped.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Macrame_God posted:

Kiss Me Deadly is also a nice choice.

The Killing is good but an inferior Kubrick, while Kiss Me Deadly is batshit crazy and I love it. Sweet Smell of Success is also fantastic.

I would stretch a little further and pick up a Melville though (Le Samourai in particular)

Edit: Christ I'm up to 92 Criterions after this sale. That means I have to buy 8 the next round.

Cacator fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Nov 29, 2014

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Kiss Me Deadly is pretty awesome as well and I totally recommend it, though personally I'm a little unsure of how I feel about the ending.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
Welp, I too wasnt planning on purchasing but that deal was just too good..

I was only going for Eraserhead , but you have to spend $25 to get free shipping. I couldn't decide between Gold Rush and Two Lane Blacktop, so bought both. Merry Christmas to me!

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
Picked up the Three Colors Trilogy, can't wait to finally see them

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

tofes posted:

Picked up the Three Colors Trilogy, can't wait to finally see them

They're a lovely few films. Just keep in mind that while Blue is kind of a dark, but still sweet film... White is hilarious. It's exactly what you'd expect a Polish-French comedy to be.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.

Egbert Souse posted:

They're a lovely few films. Just keep in mind that while Blue is kind of a dark, but still sweet film... White is hilarious. It's exactly what you'd expect a Polish-French comedy to be.

I watched Blue maybe six or seven years ago, fully intending to get through the rest because I thought it was really drat good. Then...nothing. I need to pick up the box set soon.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

I watched the whole trilogy over two nights last year. They're fantastic films. Blue is still my favorite.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I went with Kiss Me Deadly. The cover won me over. Reminded me of my high school photography days.

Calamity Brain
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

I'm the only guy who likes Three Colours: White the most, so give that one a fair shake, since people only seem to talk about Blue and Red.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Detective No. 27 posted:

I went with Kiss Me Deadly. The cover won me over. Reminded me of my high school photography days.

That's interesting that the cover won you over because it depicts a event that doesn't actually happen in the film.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I bought Scanners and man that artwork is awesome. I know my girlfriend bought me like 4 or 5 movies but I have to wait until Xmas.

Does anyone know if the sword of doom blu Ray has come out yet?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The_Rob posted:

I bought Scanners and man that artwork is awesome. I know my girlfriend bought me like 4 or 5 movies but I have to wait until Xmas.

Does anyone know if the sword of doom blu Ray has come out yet?

The Sword of Doom Blu-Ray won't be out until January 6th. :(

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Raxivace posted:

The Sword of Doom Blu-Ray won't be out until January 6th. :(

drat and Watership down isn't coming out until after the sale either.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Just want to say that GonSmithe is a saint for buying me The Naked Kiss and A Brief History of Time for my birthday/belated Secret Santa gift. Thanks :3

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing

DetoxP posted:

I'm the only guy who likes Three Colours: White the most, so give that one a fair shake, since people only seem to talk about Blue and Red.
I would say I like Blue the best and that it's the best film of the three, but I think I'd probably rewatch White more often than Blue.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Ordered the Tati set with the online coupon, picked up City Lights with the store coupon. I really wanted to get F for Fake this time around, but I still have the DVD, while nothing for City Lights (sold the Image DVD years ago).

The store I'm working at gives bonuses as "points" good for an exclusive online store. They have a lot of Criterion Blus, but kind of a random assortment. They don't have any Chaplin films, but they have the Hollis Frampton set and Lonesome. :raise:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

My BN just had a dude at the counter scanning the printed coupon as much as he wanted to, so I went back yesterday and bought High and Low.

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

I can be framed easier than Whistler's Mother

DetoxP posted:

I thought Red was the best, but White was easily my favorite.

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

Just a heads up that black friday coupon posted a couple of pages back still works, or at least it worked for me, bringing my Zatoichi set to a nice $78 bones and change. :c00lbert:

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

Egbert Souse posted:

Ordered the Tati set with the online coupon, picked up City Lights with the store coupon. I really wanted to get F for Fake this time around, but I still have the DVD, while nothing for City Lights (sold the Image DVD years ago).

The store I'm working at gives bonuses as "points" good for an exclusive online store. They have a lot of Criterion Blus, but kind of a random assortment. They don't have any Chaplin films, but they have the Hollis Frampton set and Lonesome. :raise:

What's the store coupon for? Is it the same as the B&N.com discount?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Mercaptopropyl posted:

What's the store coupon for? Is it the same as the B&N.com discount?

There is a code for online and a separate one for in-store.

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing
There is another 25% off code for Cyber Monday too. Jesus B&N you bastards, stop doing this to me. CMONDAY14

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Mercaptopropyl posted:

I thought Red was the best, but White was easily my favorite.

:mad:

Macrame_God posted:

And yes, Seven Samurai is a great choice. It was one of my first Criterions too, though I'm rather partial to Kagemusha as far as Kurosawas are concerned.

Kagemusha really is fantastic, even if a bit long. Kurosawa uses color to his advantage.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

robix smash posted:

There is another 25% off code for Cyber Monday too. Jesus B&N you bastards, stop doing this to me. CMONDAY14

Did the 50% off sale end though? I thought it only went through November.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

mod sassinator posted:

Did the 50% off sale end though? I thought it only went through November.

Today is the last day of the 50% off sale.

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

robix smash posted:

Anyone have the in-store coupon code for this? I'd rather pick up a box-set than have it shipped to me.

edit: never mind the whole deal says online only everywhere. Oh well. :(

Mercaptopropyl fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Dec 1, 2014

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
Their shipping service has some kind of magical stupid aura. I ordered the Tati set over two weeks ago. The first one "arrived" a day late and never actually showed up, when I went to the USPS they told me they didn't even have a package from UPS with that tracking # anywhere in their system even though it said "delivered by USPS" on that day. I called on Wednesday of last week and they said "we'll send a replacement express on Friday" so they sent it on Friday, expected arrival yesterday, yesterday at night it was in the UPS system in my town, today in the afternoon it was magically 2 hours north of here. How does UPS gently caress up this badly twice?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

Their shipping service has some kind of magical stupid aura. I ordered the Tati set over two weeks ago. The first one "arrived" a day late and never actually showed up, when I went to the USPS they told me they didn't even have a package from UPS with that tracking # anywhere in their system even though it said "delivered by USPS" on that day. I called on Wednesday of last week and they said "we'll send a replacement express on Friday" so they sent it on Friday, expected arrival yesterday, yesterday at night it was in the UPS system in my town, today in the afternoon it was magically 2 hours north of here. How does UPS gently caress up this badly twice?

I live with my entrance on the back of a house, up three flights of stairs and my house number isn't on the front of the house. UPS has delivered packages directly to my door, to the front of the house under the mailboxes and claimed my house doesn't exist on various occasions. The quality of employees is highly variable.

My friend got me the Cassavetes box for arbitrary holiday season. I'm really looking forward to rewatching Faces and discovering the rest of the movies.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

UPS or USPS? Two different things.

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

zandert33 posted:

UPS or USPS? Two different things.

A lot of packages will start out at UPS then be tendered over to USPS for delivery when they're closer to their destination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Found this guy at a thrift store, it actually rang up for $2:

Not the blu-ray but I'll take it for sure!