Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I can see it being a deal if someone in the group buys a new unit and notices the new Marine bases lets more orks swarm into combat, or gets a single Assault Marine unit and whoops now all the other ones are uneven what gives, things like that. I mean, entirely aside from a tournament wanting standard and official, there's plenty of reasons why this will be annoying enough to some people that they'll want to deal with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

I just put up a few of my unpainted/basecoated DA and DV models (mostly chaos) on SA mart. I heard people like the super detailed plastic snap on stuff so there ya go.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
There's a misprint in the taurox assembly instructions. If you follow them exactly, the rear wheels are misaligned and you actually have to do them the exact opposite as printed

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I was meaning to ask my local redshirt about the basing change but completely forgot. He and I were too busy pissing ourselves at the indecent speed with which my brother bought the Stormclaw box they found in the back of the stockroom this morning.

LordLobo posted:

Where does it specify what base size a unit requires?

AFAIK that isn't specified anywhere, nor has it ever been.

You all freakin out about 'required rebasing' and it's not even a real thing.

You misread.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe
My FLGS hosted their largest 40k Duals tournament yet with 16 teams; me and most of my gaming circle ended up participating and I had lots of fun despite not being a competitively minded player at all!

I took my Eldar out for a spin together with my buddy's Chaos Space Marines and we ended up in 4th place, the winner was a guy bringing in his Dark Eldar who apparently played really well.

Anyway, have some pictures:

Our team Khaine and Khorne, True Love:

Warp Spiders and Cultists ambushing a group of outflanking Kroots:

Distortion Cannon battery taking a hill so they can nuke some more Orks:

The infamous Juggernaut Chaos Lord with the Axe of gently caress Everything takes on a menacing Warboss in the third game:
The Ork did not win this day

Some Sisters of Battle trapped by advancing Tyranids:

More pictures found here.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

My suspicion is that they've taken the position that their money is in miniatures so they should make them look as individually good as they can. To that end instead of constraining the sculptors posing options they've simply gone for bigger bases, which explains ovals for the large monsters with tails, and retaining 25mm for 'stealers. It also ties visually to the flying bases. That's just my gut instinct though, and without them explaining it (because gently caress interacting with your customers as anything but an ambulatory cash point) the conspiracy theories about squeezing out third parties and forcing re-basing/re-buying of armies will run rampant.

I agree with this 100%. Though I have no inside info on it.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Leo Showers posted:

Yeah please do, I'll be really interested to see how Void Shields vs Flare Shields or whatever the Knights have, however I don't think the Knight's Shields affect Destroyer weapons sooo it'll probably be curtains for the Knight anyway.

We ended up doing some goofy 30k vs 40k poo poo that had us playing a mission with these firebombs falling from the sky. On the first turn it obscured the LoS from my Titan to his Knight, so we had to kill it the old fashioned way: by blasting it with a Melta pistol in overwatch from some goofy Mechanicum special character.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Finally got my Imperial Armour 13, now to just sit back and relax reading it and figuring out just how many zombie models I need to buy.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

Hollismason posted:

Finally got my Imperial Armour 13, now to just sit back and relax reading it and figuring out just how many zombie models I need to buy.

Mantic has decent zombie models. Just put them on the proper bases.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yeah that's probably what I'm going for, haven't decided yet what units to order, Fire Raptor will probably be my Christmas present to myself.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Lord Twisted posted:

Just put them on the proper bases.

Whatever they are! :downsrim:

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I cant believe gamesworkshop base sizes are bigger now

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I cant believe that people are melting down so hard about a rule that is 'use the base thats in the box they came with.'

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

If we don't take a stand now soon we'll be putting Space Marines on saucer plates.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Back in my day Dreadnought were on square bases and WE LIKED IT THAT WAY!

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
FWIW I do think the larger bases suit Space Marines a lot better, and I'm only surprised that it took GW this long to realize that having dudes' feet hanging over the edges of the original bases looked kinda dumb. :v:

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
If god had intended space marines to be on 32mm bases then he would have put those in the box!

Answer that one atheists

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Is there a rule that specifically states you can't charge in the first turn? Besides the special rules for scout and infiltrate?

Master Twig posted:

Put the smaller base onto the larger base.

Wow, obviously gaming the system to get better LOS and less wounds against template weapons. 2 stars, would not play your army, ever. Furthermore

panascope posted:

We ended up doing some goofy 30k vs 40k poo poo that had us playing a mission with these firebombs falling from the sky. On the first turn it obscured the LoS from my Titan to his Knight, so we had to kill it the old fashioned way: by blasting it with a Melta pistol in overwatch from some goofy Mechanicum special character.

Eat my gently caress. That Magos Dominus repaired 2 tanks and then proceeded to one-shot that charging knight titan with his tiny melta pistol.

:black101:

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

BULBASAUR posted:

Is there a rule that specifically states you can't charge in the first turn? Besides the special rules for scout and infiltrate?

I believe there is. Specifically worded that you are unable to charge in the first PLAYER turn. As in the person that go's second may charge in his first turn, but now the player that goes first.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

BULBASAUR posted:

Eat my gently caress. That Magos Dominus repaired 2 tanks and then proceeded to one-shot that charging knight titan with his tiny melta pistol.

:black101:

30k continues to own the poo poo out of 40k

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
I'm all for 32mm bases, especially after assembling about 60 Necron infantry models. What is supposed to be intimidating about bow-legged robots?!

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

BULBASAUR posted:

There is not, no. Depending on how players deploy/move, it is entirely possible (although rather unlikely) for units to get first-turn charges.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
I had a game at the renegade open where a white scars player went first against me. He scouted, then moved forward to melta my knight. The knight survived, then charged them on my turn. Even if I had gone first, the scout move would have given me an easy turn one charge.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Thanks everyone. But to clarify, can everybody charge 'turn 1', or is it just the person who goes second during turn 1?

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
You can only not assault on turn one if you scouted, inflated, or arrived from reserves (such as drop pod assault). Otherwise, if you can make it, you're good to go, even if you have first turn.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

BULBASAUR posted:

Thanks everyone. But to clarify, can everybody charge 'turn 1', or is it just the person who goes second during turn 1?

Everybody can charge turn 1 unless they come in from reserve, infiltrate or scout redeploy

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Those small format codices look neat.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
When did those go up?

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

When did those go up?

They don't seem to be out yet, I haven't heard of them.

http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Warhammer-40-000?Nao=0&Nu=product.repositoryId&N=102296+4294967200&qty=12&sorting=phl

http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Warhammer-40-000?N=102296+4294967072&Nu=product.repositoryId&qty=12&sorting=phl

Never saw the Sporocyst before, either:

http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Tyrannocyte-Sporocyst-Web-Bundle

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sporocyst is the same box as the tyranocyte. Plus the plastic zoanthrope/venomthrope kit and toxocrine/other thingie sets. The new blood angel/tyranid set is for preorder as well.

Now we need some tyranid themed terrain pieces! Though the sporocyst can be used as one if you aren't actually taking it in a list.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Found a box of old Terminators. I now understand why SRM is doing what he is.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Hollismason posted:

Yeah that's probably what I'm going for, haven't decided yet what units to order, Fire Raptor will probably be my Christmas present to myself.

Last year they sold a cross between zombies and their corporate faction - I got like 80 of those things. Send me a PM if interested and we can talk $$. They are still NIB. I never used them.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

LordAba posted:

Sporocyst is the same box as the tyranocyte. Plus the plastic zoanthrope/venomthrope kit and toxocrine/other thingie sets. The new blood angel/tyranid set is for preorder as well.

No surprise there, I just never saw pictures of it configured that way. v :) v

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Cross postin'

NTRabbit posted:

:birddrugs: OATH COMPLETE WITH TIME TO SPARE :birddrugs:

Claiming Fly your flag on my Dire Avenger Exarch, the flag comes with it but I freehanded my craftworld rune (Yme-Loc) on one side, and the Dire Avenger aspect rune on the other

Also since it was still daylight when I took the photos for my oath, I'll put the proper photos here

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

Found a box of old Terminators. I now understand why SRM is doing what he is.
Godspeed, goonham.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Kinda glad I picked up Deathstorm before it sold out. With even moderate success selling the stuff I dont need I'm going to be making upwards of $40 and getting the Broodlord and Warriors for free. It's ridiculous what a value these kits are.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Yeah, it's a really great way to make starter sets that are also of use to veterans. I'm way way more likely to get into a new army if I can pay £75 and feel I've got a solid bargain than if I'm paying £75 for a weird mismatch of troops for one faction.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

SRM posted:

Godspeed, goonham.

Sadly it is kind of hard to paint 'retro' Iron Hands (oh boy, black!) and I'll probably never find any Rogue Trader-era tanks NIB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!
It's a sad day when I actually buy something (Deathstorm, in this case) directly from GW. £213.50 of stuff for £75? loving sold. I don't even want the Tyranids and the new Captain, I'm just getting it for the Furioso, Death Company, Terminators, and rulebook. Everything else is getting thrown on ebay :v:

Incidentally, Death Company aren't on the web store anymore. Do the ones in Deathstorm look different, or are they just getting repackaged with larger bases?

• Locked thread