Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

"...That too is according to my calculations."

EclecticTastes posted:

This discussion is pretty interesting, I've been playing Kirby for, almost literally, my entire life, and not to brag, but apparently I'm way better at it than I realized. The vast majority of my deaths (outside of a certain game mode that we will not see until pretty much the very end of the LP, if at all) were from trying to be all cool in a stage and getting punked by a stage hazard or similar self-inflicted silliness. Not to say the game doesn't put up a good fight, but I have apparently been playing the series for so long that it no longer poses a significant challenge. Which, frankly, works great for me, because I play Kirby more to relax and enjoy the Kirby-ness.

As far as K3D is concerned, I occasionally got punked by the 'pop into the foreground' style hazards, but death in a Kirby game is a little difficult (boss rushes notwithstanding).

I think what ends up being the challenging thing with Kirby games is not a deathless run but a no-damage one. It's a lot more salient in say, Kirby's Epic Yarn (where taking damage is the only fail state aside from the challenge missions), but I think I could only call myself good at Kirby if I could do difficult stages or bosses with no damage.

I'm not good at Kirby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I appreciate Bandana Dee being in the game. He's cool.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I'm still sad about the Noddys, honestly.

Always great to see another medibot kirby LP, it sounds a bit cult-of-personality-ish but I really do think your approach to this game is pretty much perfect.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

GeneX posted:

I'm still sad about the Noddys, honestly.

Since it seems that Kirby's controls have gotten more precise over the years, and that enemies have grown more resistant to being inhaled, HAL have realized that Noddy isn't much of a trap anymore.

So Noddy's main defense now is that you feel really bad if you hurt him. And so they place him in areas where really, you aren't going to be swallowing him, but he might die anyway.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Good to see the enemy in my avatar make an appearance.

UmbreonMessiah
Nov 1, 2011

~Hey, I'm grump!~
I'm...yeah, I'm just a grump.
Seeing this LP made me want to go rewatch the Return to Dreamland LP...only to find that for some reason, it's not on the Archives :( Not even Kirby can cheer me up now!

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT

UmbreonMessiah posted:

Seeing this LP made me want to go rewatch the Return to Dreamland LP...only to find that for some reason, it's not on the Archives :( Not even Kirby can cheer me up now!
First you draw a circle,
Then you dot the eyes.
Add a great, big smile and
PRESTO!
It's a playlist!

McBearson
Apr 29, 2013

Cannot believe Paintra would attack you from behind the canvas. Curse that canvas!

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Man, the Return to Dreamland LP was great. The absolute joy in everyone's voice when PokeCapn inhaled medibot, Kaz, and an Invincible Candy was priceless.

"WITH OUR POWERS COMBINED."

UmbreonMessiah
Nov 1, 2011

~Hey, I'm grump!~

notoriousman posted:

First you draw a circle,
Then you dot the eyes.
Add a great, big smile and
PRESTO!
It's a playlist!

You are awesome and this post is awesome :allears:

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Viewing this game by the standard of the age group it's mostly meant for, I'd say some parts of it are a bit of a handful, and not just the optional stuff like in most Kirby games.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Not many people notice it (since the game's difficulty is very well adjusted) but the game really starts helping you if you die too much. Without spoiling too much, for example there is a certain boss whose arena has pitfalls in it(*), and if you lose a couple of times to it the game fills the gaps with little platforms to make it easier. I noticed details like this since my little sister played the game after I beat it and died quite a bit, but overall she had a great time.

This game -along with A Link Between Worlds- manages to make it super satisfying when you accomplish stuff, like solving puzzles and defeating bosses, without them being overly complex. It's a really fantastic game.

(*)tell me if that even counts as a spoiler, though it really shouldn't.

ZOOP MASTER 50 CAL
Apr 14, 2004

baby hipster pope

Blackheart posted:

Not many people notice it (since the game's difficulty is very well adjusted) but the game really starts helping you if you die too much. Without spoiling too much, for example there is a certain boss whose arena has pitfalls in it(*), and if you lose a couple of times to it the game fills the gaps with little platforms to make it easier. I noticed details like this since my little sister played the game after I beat it and died quite a bit, but overall she had a great time.

This game -along with A Link Between Worlds- manages to make it super satisfying when you accomplish stuff, like solving puzzles and defeating bosses, without them being overly complex. It's a really fantastic game.

(*)tell me if that even counts as a spoiler, though it really shouldn't.

I wouldn't call that a spoiler, and it's very interesting that you've mentioned that. I actually didn't know about that, and I suspect most players of around my skill level didn't run into that either. When one of these situations arises (and if the boss is the one I'm thinking of, it will arise soon), please let everyone know about it.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Another example is that Bandanna Dee throws you a Maximum Tomato instead of the Pep Brew if you die too many times.

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

Dr. Fetus posted:

Another example is that Bandanna Dee throws you a Maximum Tomato instead of the Pep Brew if you die too many times.

Huh. That happened to me once. I wondered why cause it only happened the one time. Neat.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

A lot of recent Nintendo games have ways of helping you out if you continue to die. Donkey Kong Country Returns and Super Mario Galaxy 2 both have Super Guides that complete the level for you, if you feel like it. If you want to 100% them, though, you have to finish them on your own.

ArcadePark
Feb 4, 2011

Damn it, It's all your fault!

Y-Hat posted:

A lot of recent Nintendo games have ways of helping you out if you continue to die. Donkey Kong Country Returns and Super Mario Galaxy 2 both have Super Guides that complete the level for you, if you feel like it. If you want to 100% them, though, you have to finish them on your own.

Donkey Kong does it because it plans on not pulling its punches. It's Ingeneous. Not Rayman levels, but still ingeneous.

Dreamy Souffle
Feb 22, 2011

Just cause
I like my diamonds bright
ain't saying I'm wrong
or if it's right but baby
I haven't been wrong before
Ahh, I can't believe I missed this thread! There's already a second video! Similar to what a few others have mentioned in the thread, I was feeling down recently and this was just the perfect thing. Your Kirby LPs are always such a joy, thank you. :3:

UmbreonMessiah
Nov 1, 2011

~Hey, I'm grump!~
I think that really is the Magic of Kirby: the joy it brings. Kirby games aren't meant to be difficult, and every enemy (except Scarfy) is just having a grand old time. Anything that tries to snuff out that joy meets the almighty ball of pink fluff, devourer of cosmic horrors and champion of ice cream.

Kirby games really are the happiest games on earth :3:

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
I think that's why Kirby's most dire enemies are always the most unsettling, is how starkly they contrast with the setting. Dark Matter is an orb of pure, condensed misery, the core of which attacks by shooting blood and ripping its pupil out in a last-ditch effort to kill you. Marx was a megalomaniacal psychopath who died hating Kirby so much that he came back from the dead using the power of a cosmic relic. Magalor wound up consumed by the power of the Master Crown to the extent that his dead body became a vessel for its power. I'm just waiting for Nintendo to reveal an "official Kirby timeline" like the Zelda one, where it turns out that all the bad guys who came back as undead Soul bosses, like, it's their eternal grudges, powered by various legendary artifacts, that fused together to create Dark Matter in the first place.

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

Kirby: Destroyer of Haters.

Doctor Soup
Nov 4, 2009

I have nothing but confidence in you, and very little of that.
If you find any of Kirby's enemies unsettling I don't know what to do with you.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

EclecticTastes posted:

I think that's why Kirby's most dire enemies are always the most unsettling, is how starkly they contrast with the setting. Dark Matter is an orb of pure, condensed misery, the core of which attacks by shooting blood and ripping its pupil out in a last-ditch effort to kill you. Marx was a megalomaniacal psychopath who died hating Kirby so much that he came back from the dead using the power of a cosmic relic. Magalor wound up consumed by the power of the Master Crown to the extent that his dead body became a vessel for its power. I'm just waiting for Nintendo to reveal an "official Kirby timeline" like the Zelda one, where it turns out that all the bad guys who came back as undead Soul bosses, like, it's their eternal grudges, powered by various legendary artifacts, that fused together to create Dark Matter in the first place.

Magalor didn't die, though. He lived and opened up a theme park.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Doctor Soup posted:

When my sister was about four or five, she was absolutely terrified of Whispy Woods - something about the mask he wears in Dreamland 2 freaked her out really bad.

Also I have a pavlovian reaction to T.A.C. whenever I see him because he is a jerk who will steal all of my good powers

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

DoubleDonut posted:

When my sister was about four or five, she was absolutely terrified of Whispy Woods - something about the mask he wears in Dreamland 2 freaked her out really bad.

Also I have a pavlovian reaction to T.A.C. whenever I see him because he is a jerk who will steal all of my good powers

I have a similar reaction to T.A.C. I've lost so many good powers to that dude as a kid (and adult).

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

DoubleDonut posted:

Also I have a pavlovian reaction to T.A.C. whenever I see him because he is a jerk who will kidnap my helper.

My version of events.

Also, Kirby's big enemies aren't scary, per se, they're just really jarring to see paired with such a saccharine setting, at least at first. Obviously, one becomes accustomed to it over time, but don't try to tell me it wasn't even a little unsettling to fight Zero for the first time way back in Dream Land 3.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Possessed Dedede in Dreamland 3 was the freakyist of the ones I've seen. Stomachs do not work that way!

Doctor Soup
Nov 4, 2009

Kids do get scared by all sorts of things, yeah. When I was two I was terrified of a singing orange on Sesame Street.

EclecticTastes posted:

My version of events.

Also, Kirby's big enemies aren't scary, per se, they're just really jarring to see paired with such a saccharine setting, at least at first. Obviously, one becomes accustomed to it over time, but don't try to tell me it wasn't even a little unsettling to fight Zero for the first time way back in Dream Land 3.

Honestly, all I thought was, "Hey, I'm fighting an eye. Now I'm fighting a bigger eye. Now I'm fighting a smaller eye that came out of the bigger eye." I was paying more attention to how different the final boss gameplay was to really think too hard about how the red might represent blood or whatever. Looking back at it, I guess you could say it's a scary idea in an abstract sense, but it's all still too cute for me to really see it that way.

Cador_2004
Oct 13, 2012

Doctor Soup posted:

Final Bosses excluded?

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Doctor Soup posted:

I'm unsettled whenever a Kirby game forces me to kill Waddle Dees to proceed, does that count?

Doctor Soup
Nov 4, 2009

InspectorCarbonara posted:

I'm unsettled whenever a Kirby game forces me to kill Waddle Dees to proceed, does that count?

I stand corrected.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Doctor Soup posted:

Kids do get scared by all sorts of things, yeah. When I was two I was terrified of a singing orange on Sesame Street.

To be fair, if oranges start vocalizing, they tend to get Annoying real fast.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Carbon dioxide posted:

To be fair, if oranges start vocalizing, they tend to get Annoying real fast.
Mother always taught me: "Never eat singing food."

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Doctor Soup posted:

I'm still terrified by that drat orange :gonk:

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Doctor Soup posted:

I'm sorry, the final boss from Nightmare in Dreamland was loving terrifying!

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Doctor Soup posted:

Honestly, all I thought was, "Hey, I'm fighting an eye. Now I'm fighting a bigger eye. Now I'm fighting a smaller eye that came out of the bigger eye." I was paying more attention to how different the final boss gameplay was to really think too hard about how the red might represent blood or whatever. Looking back at it, I guess you could say it's a scary idea in an abstract sense, but it's all still too cute for me to really see it that way.

Have you seen 02's artwork.

It doesn't really leave much to the imagination. Also Magalor is the best new Kirby friend. I'm glad he's getting to show up time to time whenever Kirby is mentioned (like the miiverse stage reel in the 50-fact video)

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Also Magalor is the best new Kirby friend.

Maybe. Maybe. But the best old Kirby friend will always be

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013

FredMSloniker posted:

Maybe. Maybe. But the best old Kirby friend will always be

Isn't the story of this guy basically that he's a piece of Dark Matter but happy instead of angry?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Davinci posted:

Isn't the story of this guy basically that he's a piece of Dark Matter but happy instead of angry?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:

azren posted:

I'm sorry, the final boss from Nightmare in Dreamland was loving terrifying!

Ugly Mcbigchin? And that's in a remake where it's even more obvious how ridiculous that boss actually looked.

• Locked thread