Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"
So if someone wants someone terrible to play against or at least screw around with with the customizations and Miis and stuff, my NNID is AnotherGamer777. It's also in the Google Doc with NNIDs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Isn't it random to some degree? I know the 3DS version was a pain in the rear end because doing the same thing over and over could get you basically any score.

Somewhat, but this video simplifies everything with Ganondorf so you don't have to worry about moving the bomb a fraction of an inch and ruin your score:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W32Rw3f3lcs

The last one was a bit of a pain but I did it in a couple tries.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Olimar's big issue is that you gotta play him a lot more measured in Smash 4. Going down to 3 Pikmin is a much bigger nerf then it sounds like- it's really easy to suddenly find yourself down two Pikmin and finding you can't throw out moves as quickly because Pikmin always have to finish the animation of the attack you used them for and get back to their spot behind Olimar before they're usable again.

That said, a methodical Olimar is actually probably nearly as good as his Brawl version. He trades some raw power for some new tricks, predictability in plucked Pikmin, and a much better recovery.

... just not on the 3DS version, where the Pikmin's crappier AI can lead to them getting 'stuck' sometimes and suddenly finding yourself grabbing air because your Pikmin are caught up on the edge of the stage or something. Seriously, 3DS Olimar is probably a full tier below Wii U Olimar just because of some of the pathfinding problems the Pikmin have.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I honestly think that Olimar's Pikmin shouldn't even be able to break away from him unless they're thrown or Olimar gets hit really hard. It's a completely stupid mechanic that adds a lovely random element and hinders a pretty solid character. Without it I think Olimar would be a drat good character without anything OP but a good gimmick that pays homage to the Pikmin series that actually works while making him unique.

I'll agree with 3DS Olimar being a lower tier and I'll even place him as the worst character.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Mr. Locke posted:

Olimar's big issue is that you gotta play him a lot more measured in Smash 4. Going down to 3 Pikmin is a much bigger nerf then it sounds like- it's really easy to suddenly find yourself down two Pikmin and finding you can't throw out moves as quickly because Pikmin always have to finish the animation of the attack you used them for and get back to their spot behind Olimar before they're usable again.

That said, a methodical Olimar is actually probably nearly as good as his Brawl version. He trades some raw power for some new tricks, predictability in plucked Pikmin, and a much better recovery.

... just not on the 3DS version, where the Pikmin's crappier AI can lead to them getting 'stuck' sometimes and suddenly finding yourself grabbing air because your Pikmin are caught up on the edge of the stage or something. Seriously, 3DS Olimar is probably a full tier below Wii U Olimar just because of some of the pathfinding problems the Pikmin have.

Yeah, having only 3 Pikmin means you basically have to give as much attention to your Pikmin as you do your opponent, although the fixed order makes them MUCH more managable. Olimar's options at any given time vary drastically based on his lead Pikmin, and you've got to be mindful of that or you'll end up trying to Fair a white Pikmin or throw a purple short. He's super technical because you have to know all the ins and outs of the different Pikmin, but that can work to your advantage cause who the hell knows how to fight an Olimar? He's rarer than hen's teeth online. Little tricks like knowing that white pikmin have an increased grab range and do 3-4% per pummel or an unexpected aerial out of your recovery can help you get a leg up if they're not expecting it. His patched Fsmash range is a godsend, too.

I gave him another chance after Smash4WiiU came out, and it really is night and day in terms of viability. I'm happy I can go back to using him.

Cicadas! fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Nov 30, 2014

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

loving hell I didn't realise how many stages were exclusive to each version. It's pretty frustrating, since I'll never be convinced to buy or play the 3DS version, but missing out on so many stages sucks.

How long before they're satisfied that everyone's bought both versions and they cross-release the whole lot for £10?

EDIT: There's a god-drat Paper Mario stage and I can't play it!

stev fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Nov 30, 2014

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I don't know how you guys are saying Olimar is rare. I've been playing For Glory and I've run into about 12 of them and they all have the same tricks and style. He fights with such grace and before you know it, you're 80%. If Smash 4 does get a eSports following, this fucker will be up there with RosaLuma when it comes to crazy puppet contolled fuckery.

I'm not saying he's OP but more than a handful of people are figuring him out at the moment and the end result will probably be pretty strong.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Steve2911 posted:

loving hell I didn't realise how many stages were exclusive to each version. It's pretty frustrating, since I'll never be convinced to buy or play the 3DS version, but missing out on so many stages sucks.

How long before they're satisfied that everyone's bought both versions and they cross-release the whole lot for £10?

They're not selling the stages across versions because many of the Wii U stages have too many things going on for the poor 3DS to handle, and Nintendo is trying very, very hard to keep the two at some odd version of parity so they're not just gonna shove the 3DS stages in there when the Wii U ones can't be shoved back.

Also the Paper Mario stage is the worst travesty to ever be inserted into a Smash roster. It's almost impossible to actually get any kind of good fight going on and, more importantly, it's not even that good of a homage to Paper Mario.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Steve2911 posted:

Don't worry, that paper mario stage isn't very good anyway

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy
Gave into temptations and picked this up with a Yoshi amiibo. Game owns really hard. Add me if you want to have epic anime battles.

NNID: OskarVonWakamoto

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Steve2911 posted:

I'm pretty sure one of the reasons each version has different stages is because that's a better use of resources than having the artists model each stage twice.

Because of that, even if they do start work on DLC beyond Mewtwo, I would be kinda surprised if Sakurai brought his artists and programmers back on staff just to spend time cross-porting a bunch of existing work.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I've already burned through all the 100K gold from the Dr. Mario challenge by being Bad at Crazy Orders.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Supercar Gautier posted:

I'm pretty sure one of the reasons each version has different stages is because that's a better use of resources than having the artists model each stage twice.

Because of that, even if they do start work on DLC beyond Mewtwo, I would be kinda surprised if Sakurai brought his artists and programmers back on staff just to spend time cross-porting a bunch of existing work.

Eh maybe just a 'best of' then. OoT having recently been ported to 3DS isn't a good enough reason to keep the OoT stage exclusive.

Mr. Locke posted:

Also the Paper Mario stage is the worst travesty to ever be inserted into a Smash roster. It's almost impossible to actually get any kind of good fight going on and, more importantly, it's not even that good of a homage to Paper Mario.

Man, Nintendo just do not get Paper Mario at all anymore, do they? :(

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

DoctorWhat posted:

I've already burned through all the 100K gold from the Dr. Mario challenge by being Bad at Crazy Orders.

You wanna know the best place to stock up on Crazy Order passes? Smash Tour.

I've gotten like, two to three passes each time after a full run-through on a board.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Mr. Locke posted:

Please tell me the Magicant stage also sucks since it's kinda disappointing that the only Mother stage in the Wii U version is loving Onett again.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Mega64 posted:

Please tell me the Magicant stage also sucks since it's kinda disappointing that the only Mother stage in the Wii U version is loving Onett again.

It's also really dumb garbage but in a hilarious way. Flying Man is at the same time the greatest bro you could ask for yet a total asshat douchebag. He is going to give his goddamn life to make sure whichever player is his buddy is the only guy having fun.

Also, the little platform under the rest of the stage is dumb as hell and the second you get a Yoshi, Ness, or Pit down there you will learn to hate life in all of it's forms.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Viewtiful Jew posted:

I've gotten like, two to three passes each time after a full run-through on a board.

If I could only manage to stop the item roulette in Classic on the Ticket option, I'd have plenty.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Mega64 posted:

It's great but the way Flying Man works makes matches (especially in Classic) infuriating. At least they ported over the music, which is the real best part.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Steve2911 posted:

The 3ds stages are loving terrible, the Wii U ones are so much better.

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Smash Tour is loving awful and I liked Smash Run. Smash Tour looks like some bastard child of Mario Party.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

The only bad part about the paper mario stage is Bowser's Castle and even that isn't that terrible, just don't stand in the Bowser head too much.

Magicant would be much, much nicer if the Flying Men didn't take all the protagonism; they should die in one or two hits and hit weakly like in the original game. I find them to be worse than the Yellow Devil. All in all there's only two or three stages in the 3ds version that I openly dislike.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Flying men die super easy, they have never given me trouble.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Oh man I didn't know Nosferatu put you into helplessness if you land it in air.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
How are you supposed to grind CDs in this game?

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Raserys posted:

use amiibos to farm masterballs and mews

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Raserys posted:

I believe Crazy Orders might be the easiest.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Smash Tour is actually pretty fun if you get a full complement of real human beings to play it, and you're good enough friends to handle a little skulduggery.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Peewi posted:

I believe Crazy Orders might be the easiest.

Yeah, Crazy Hand for some reason hoarded all the CDs this time around and you have to play his mode if you want to get almost all of them super quick without feeling like you're just grinding something. Because it is secretly the best mode in the game.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Cicadas! posted:

Smash Tour is actually pretty fun if you get a full complement of real human beings to play it, and you're good enough friends to handle a little skulduggery.

My explanation of Smash Tour now always includes the phrase "And don't get attached, because some motherfucker is going to get Tingle".

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Smash Tour seems fun from playing with the CPU, if I transfer that to human players, and you just get a ton of trophies, customs, CDs, and coins for doing it. Lots of potential to gently caress with each other. And it's fast, it doesn't take two hours for a 20 turn game like Mario Party.

pankus
Jul 30, 2003
As long as you don't have a friend who chooses let CPU fight every time, it's somewhat fun. At least the final battle won't let you do that.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
In the 3DS I swear the game makes you auto-face your opponent when coming out of a dodge roll. The Wii U doesn't do that at all I don't think. In the 3DS version as Samus I never shooting my charge shot or grapple beam in the wrong direction but I do it constantly in the Wii u version. Has anyone else noticed this or can you tell me what I'm doing wrong?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Wildtortilla posted:

In the 3DS I swear the game makes you auto-face your opponent when coming out of a dodge roll. The Wii U doesn't do that at all I don't think. In the 3DS version as Samus I never shooting my charge shot or grapple beam in the wrong direction but I do it constantly in the Wii u version. Has anyone else noticed this or can you tell me what I'm doing wrong?

If you roll backwards, you stay facing the direction you were before the roll. If you roll forwards, you turn around to face [where you were before you rolled]. It's always been like that, in every Smash game.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

DoctorWhat posted:

If you roll backwards, you stay facing the direction you were before the roll. If you roll forwards, you turn around to face [where you were before you rolled]. It's always been like that, in every Smash game.

This is helpful to know! This is my first Smash game I've taken seriously.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Had 7 people (including me) last night and we decided to set up a tournament. No tourney mode this time around so we drew names out of a hat to set up brackets, including my friend's DK amiibo to round out the match ups. It kicked all our asses and made it to the final round before losing barely to my friend who cheesed it by dropping Villager's bowling ball off the edge of the map to prevent recovery. It's dodges all special attacks. :negative:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
How do I turn off the rumbling?

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

DoctorWhat posted:

I've been playing since N64 and I know this but I still get it wrong constantly. Nothing like inhaling off the ledge where your enemy isn't... :negative:

In other news, getting 8 KOs in Cruel Smash is ridiculous and nerve wracking. I'm glad I never have to do it again.

21 Hoot Salute
Feb 8, 2005

Night-time, turn around
Lonely is the city tonight
Night-time, all around
Lonely in the city tonight

Cruel smash is frightening. Only way I've been able to KO 3 dudes so far was by picking a Fire Emblem char and spamming Counter

I also just spent longer than I'd like to admit adding goons NNIDs for smash fights. Let's do thiiiiis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Kurtofan posted:

How do I turn off the rumbling?

Home button, controller settings for Gamepad

If you're using a GameCube adapter, unplug the grey cable.

• Locked thread