Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I always guessed that Hero mode was the one that was there just to give you something to do if you've got the 'tism bad and can't stop playing, but I guess I was wrong. Unless you just need it double to clear the TP map I guess :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Excels posted:

hypothetically you could complete any mission as any character if you pick 2P and put the character you're restricted to in a corner and win with a lv100 Link or something.

That doesn't work on at least half of the stages, probably more. Most of the time there is nowhere safe to park your guy, or if there is it may not be safe for very long.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The next DLC should include a "makes the game easier for baby players who complain about hard things" setting or item, for me, because I am frightened to try more, given how much trouble I am already having.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
If I go back and play story missions to collect hearts and heart pieces, do I need to complete the mission to keep the hearts?

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie

Wildtortilla posted:

If I go back and play story missions to collect hearts and heart pieces, do I need to complete the mission to keep the hearts?

Yes, same rules that apply to skulltulas apply to hearts, namely you gotta get 'em and then complete the mission

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

I've been losing missions to enemies straight up killing me, jeez.

I'm almost dreading the Majora's Mask DLC at this point.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!
I don't know if anyone tested this yet, but last night I confirmed that yes, you can use one Link amiibo to unlock the spinner on multiple WiiUs. My friend was able to use mine to unlock the spinner on his no problem, and the "one free item per day" works on multiple consoles as well.

So if a friend has a Link amiibo (or if you have one and a friend doesnt) there's no downside to sharing.

Also using it to unlock things in Hyrule Warriors does not erase the Smash Bros data already on the amiibo, which is another thing people were curious about.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
Link Amiibo gave me a 4-star Triforce Spinner today :)

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I have Pikachu and Donkey Kong and for the past two days both have given me 1 rupee.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Huh, haven't lost an Adventure Mode battle due to my allied base being taken over yet...until today. Tried the "Final battle jungle boss" level today (the one with Agitha) and Gohma was just knocking out dudes in my base too fast for me to deal with it. Guess there's no real solution except to level the poo poo out of Agitha until she can deal enough damage to take it down faster.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Gohma can be a total dick to your base. The third mission in legend mode on hero difficulty is nigh impossible if you don't get lucky with it going back to the enemy base.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
i can't think of any one element i resent in HW as much as manhandla. the idea of fighting two or three or more, god forbid, is like my personal vision of hell

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
i can think of one for you

the imprisoned

you're welcome

FighterKnuckles
Apr 17, 2010

The truth is in sight!

Hekk posted:

I have Pikachu and Donkey Kong and for the past two days both have given me 1 rupee.

My Wii Fit gave me one rupee today, but gave me 50,000 rupees yesterday, so it is totally worth it.

Aperture Priority
May 4, 2009

~~*~~Is Dream~~*~~
:coolfish::3::coolfish:

So last night I decided to break down and unlock the lvl 3 baton, parasol, and summoning Gate because apparently I hate myself? The parasol mission is the only one I had to try twice because I went over by 1:20. Dinolfos can go straight to hell and Agitha is slower than a turtle dipped in liquid nitrogen. All I have left on the board is Zant's lvl 3 and the last great fairy. And then I get to really work on the other two maps! :shepicide:

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Reoxygenation posted:

i can think of one for you

the imprisoned

you're welcome

i just give up on any levels that involve them

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Link Amiibo gave me a 4-star Triforce Spinner today :)

Mine gave me a 5 star Epona with 6 slots :captainpop:

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The imprisoned is stupid because he automatically gets up when you drop his weak point gauge to half. Afaik it's impossible to break it in one go.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Finally managed the level 2 baton challenge. A few levels, the level 2 weak point badge and some :gitgud: and it's mine. gently caress that mission. Also learned how to deal with Wizzro (blocking), Volga (baiting that dragon attack), Girahim (also blocking) and Aerolfos (aggression, then baiting attacks).

The SP regen bonus is kickass, incidentally.

RocketDarkness posted:

Strike them until they block 2 hits in a row and they'll almost always take to the air for an attack that will expose their weak point gauge.

This was really solid advice, thanks!

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

The imprisoned is stupid because he automatically gets up when you drop his weak point gauge to half. Afaik it's impossible to break it in one go.

Basically, gently caress the Imprisoned.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Excels posted:

hypothetically you could complete any mission as any character if you pick 2P and put the character you're restricted to in a corner and win with a lv100 Link or something.

Kill counts are so close on some TP maps that the reduced enemy spawns from 2 players will screw you out of your A rank.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Wow, the Great Fairy moveset is wonky as gently caress. What a strange weapon.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Echophonic posted:

The SP regen bonus is kickass, incidentally.

The breaking enemy guard bonus is equally awesome. :fuckoff: Zant

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Does Strong Attack + buff Zant's spin attack?

FighterKnuckles
Apr 17, 2010

The truth is in sight!
So, somehow yesterday I was able to buckle down and got most of my remaining level 3 weapons down and almost all of them on the first try. I got Ruto's, Midna's, Zant's, Girahaim's, and the Level 3 Summoning gate. Now all that remains is Agitha's and no matter how many beetles I summon, level 60 with a 5-star tier 2 weapon, I still can't do it fast enough or without taking too much damage. I don't get it.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

FighterKnuckles posted:

So, somehow yesterday I was able to buckle down and got most of my remaining level 3 weapons down and almost all of them on the first try. I got Ruto's, Midna's, Zant's, Girahaim's, and the Level 3 Summoning gate. Now all that remains is Agitha's and no matter how many beetles I summon, level 60 with a 5-star tier 2 weapon, I still can't do it fast enough or without taking too much damage. I don't get it.

Do more weak point smashes! Hit them with C2 to juggle and you're basically guaranteed to deplete the gauge every time.

Also C5 into butterfly smash is great for taking out keeps quickly.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

the TP pack should have given Agitha a new weapon, she desperately needs something better than the parasol.

Aperture Priority
May 4, 2009

~~*~~Is Dream~~*~~
:coolfish::3::coolfish:

Excels posted:

the TP pack should have given Agitha a new weapon, she desperately needs something better than the parasol.

Give her a mount ala epona. Just ride around the battlefield on a giant stag beetle or grasshopper.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

FighterKnuckles posted:

Agitha's level 3 is one that you can do the 2p cheese trick with. Park agitha in a corner in the northwest somewhere and kill the wave of guys that move west toward where she is. If you do that, nobody else will bother her afterward as long as you stay on top of things.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

FighterKnuckles posted:

Now all that remains is Agitha's and no matter how many beetles I summon, level 60 with a 5-star tier 2 weapon, I still can't do it fast enough or without taking too much damage. I don't get it.

You can avoid taking damage by not going near enemies. Don't try to actually hit things with her light attacks, they're slow, have no range and don't do much damage. Her combo finishers on the other hand have good range and hit hard. Keep your distance, and choose your combo finisher based on how long you think you have to press buttons before the enemies reach you. Several of her combos launch enemies, which you can follow up by jumping on the butterfly and hitting them in the air, out of reach of many enemies' attacks. And as mentioned above, C2 to break weak points is very effective. Her weak point attack covers a huge area, so if you're fighting several of an enemy that has an easily-baitable weak point you can do a lot of damage that way.

Edit: also, you don't need to finish off Zelda, Cia can take her one-on-one so long as you take out the dinalfos and don't leave her with too little health.

Suaimhneas fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Nov 30, 2014

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I don't think I'm going to finish the Twilight adventure map.

I find that this game isn't actually a whole lot of fun when it gets really difficult, since the game doesn't really get "harder" by being more mechanically challenging.

Plus I know that there's going to be some unpleasant map later on that makes me play one of the shitboxes like Zant or Agitha and I'm just dreading that already. So, I hope the Majora map is not this difficult, or else I may be permanently shelving this game.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Its not difficult per se - its just annoying when you you lose because of the sheer amount of poo poo going on that's beyond your control (because your computer allies suck)
The damage requirements for A ranks are counterintuitive when half of the rewards are heart pieces - which renders them useless. It also sucks that the only solution to not finishing a level in the time required is just leveling your character up more

As far as other non-frustrating things though - knocked out great fairy 3, summoning gate 3 and darunia 3 today - just have agitha and zant 3 left on the regular adventure map
Friend also brought his DK amiibo over and I got a 3 star tier 3 Demon Blade (7 slot) out of it

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Deceptive Thinker posted:

The damage requirements for A ranks are counterintuitive when half of the rewards are heart pieces - which renders them useless.

This really is a good point. The damage requirement also bugs me because if you have someone whose moveset is slow as poo poo (Agitha, Lana with Gate, Link with Great Fairy) you can get in a situation where say, a Moblin makes a mad dash at you while you're in early/mid animation, and there's no way to dodge in time, so you can't avoid taking damage. That also becomes a pain in the rear end since all the second Skulltulas in each stage require you to take less than four hearts of damage.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

At least the great fairy has a ton of invincibility frames when doing her attacks
Gate Lana and Agitha get hit wayyyyyy too much in the middle of a big cast

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

a cartoon duck posted:

I've been losing missions to enemies straight up killing me, jeez.

I'm almost dreading the Majora's Mask DLC at this point.

Unless you have enemy forces swarming around the entire map, there's a little more leeway to the alerts to protect a character/base than you may think so don't necessarily rush into everything. Also REMEMBER TO BLOCK. This is important if you're getting killed by enemies. Sidestep and block and it will goad enemies into doing their "stand around vulnerable afterwards" attacks more often so you can take them out quicker. Also good because just from observation you'll very quickly pick up on the unique hit areas of all the major enemy's attacks. In general for any of the named characters you want to be doing most of your damage by knocking down that weak point meter. Regular captain type guys like Aerofols and whatever you can overwhelm just by existing.

Also if you're having trouble reaching a character before their weak point meter fades away, remember that bombs will effect it too. So like instead of waiting for an AOE attack to go away and getting just one or two hits in on someone you can throw bombs from the attack's edge to great effect while closing in.

I got to convince a friend to buy a Link/Zelda Amiibo for the spinner.

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
This is kinda silly, but I have 20 bucks worth of Amazon gift cards lying around, is there any easy way to get the Hero pack with this? Can't buy it directly off of Amazon, Gamestop cards come with a minimum $25 dollar balance and the Nintendo eshop cards are overpriced and there seem to be issues using them based off of the reviews on the page

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Tonight while doing the TP map, I saw a Shiek using Zelda's moveset, and Cia using Lana's moveset. I know that they're the same character so it makes a bit of sense but it's still weird to fight Sheik and expect the harp attacks only for her to bust out that Triforce field or a light arrow attack.

Also holy hell these levels are stupid hard. I may just get the weapons/costumes and say gently caress the heart pieces and containers. I mean like Deceptive Thinker said, they're basically pointless anyway since every level requires you to take as little damage as possible to A-rank it.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I've seen Zant using Ganondorf's moveset. That was odd.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Arbitrary Coin posted:

This is kinda silly, but I have 20 bucks worth of Amazon gift cards lying around, is there any easy way to get the Hero pack with this? Can't buy it directly off of Amazon, Gamestop cards come with a minimum $25 dollar balance and the Nintendo eshop cards are overpriced and there seem to be issues using them based off of the reviews on the page

I don't think you can use Amazon gift cards to buy other gift cards.

Also, I don't know what you're talking about with eshop cards being overpriced, they cost exactly how much you get on your account. As for issues using them, sounds like the people writing those reviews are just complete idiots, because redeeming them is extremely easy.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

MarquiseMindfang posted:

I've seen Zant using Ganondorf's moveset. That was odd.

This happens infrequently, to the point where people were saying it would become a feature or something. You will occasionally see random characters using other weapons/movesets. I've seen numerous characters using Link's default moveset, almost always when this happens they are wielding 8-bit weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.

Excels posted:

This happens infrequently, to the point where people were saying it would become a feature or something. You will occasionally see random characters using other weapons/movesets. I've seen numerous characters using Link's default moveset, almost always when this happens they are wielding 8-bit weapons.

I've seen Lana using Cia's staff and Cia using Lana's tome on several occasions.

• Locked thread