Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Strange Quark posted:

Impure Reach affects ailments. You want Binding Hands for binds. :v:

(Get Samael.)

I agree with this.

Also, how the heck do you download DLC? I go on add on content and it says it has been updated but there isn't options to download any DLC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009
So does this game have two main campaigns for both the P3MC and the P4MC, or how does that work?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The two groups meet up at the end of the first dungeon, and things are basically the same for both MCs at that point. The only differences are the intro/first dungeon and which one you're forced to keep in your party. Also, the MC you don't pick has dialogue like any other character, but the one you do pick is a silent protag with dialogue choices.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Endorph posted:

The two groups meet up at the end of the first dungeon, and things are basically the same for both MCs at that point. The only differences are the intro/first dungeon and which one you're forced to keep in your party. Also, the MC you don't pick has dialogue like any other character, but the one you do pick is a silent protag with dialogue choices.
I wonder if even the endings are the same. It doesn't seem like that much is different to warrant another playthrough.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
Ahahaha, I'm brutalizing the second dungeon with Kanji + Tempest Slash and P4MC + Swift Strike. Slap on a Tarukaja and take Mitsuru with you and smoke through the first FOEs as well as a lot of the trash mobs. Crits for everyone!

I haven't changed out Yukiko's sub-Persona in forever, though. A quad-elemental Angel with Media and silent circle for Boost -> Free Heal.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I just beat the first Labyrinth area, started with the p3 crew and got access to all characters now. Are there any party combinations that are strictly better than the other?

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.

FrickenMoron posted:

I just beat the first Labyrinth area, started with the p3 crew and got access to all characters now. Are there any party combinations that are strictly better than the other?

Nah, you can use pretty much everyone due to the Sub-Persona system. With the right accessories (You can get Lightning Gloves and later a Frozen Stone from map chests) you can null at least some of those, too.
I've been running P4MC/Kanji/Mitsuru/Yukiko/Aigis ever since I got the first dungeon done, bar one or two "take me with you!" request.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Huh, so the party actually shuts up a lot in the second labyrinth. I still think the low SP messages are kind of bullshit given the game marches you over SP-draining floors if you want the sweet sweet map completion tresures, but they're not yammering at me every time I look at a shortcut, which is nice.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I wonder if even the endings are the same. It doesn't seem like that much is different to warrant another playthrough.

Apparently there's some content exclusive to New Game+, so completionists are gonna be playing it twice anyway.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

neongrey posted:

Huh, so the party actually shuts up a lot in the second labyrinth. I still think the low SP messages are kind of bullshit given the game marches you over SP-draining floors if you want the sweet sweet map completion tresures, but they're not yammering at me every time I look at a shortcut, which is nice.

you're supposed to buy winged sandals for trap tiles :ssh:

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Man, after destroying the second labyrinth, the third one kicks back pretty hard. gently caress those goddamn mages, and the cat motherfuckers that sometimes pop up with them can go die in a fire as well.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Samael posted:

I agree with this.

Also, how the heck do you download DLC? I go on add on content and it says it has been updated but there isn't options to download any DLC.

You have to do from the game. On the title screen, notice how the last option is Add On Content?

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

Grinding the FOEs on the first level of the second labyrinth, then Sacrifice Fusing the high-level but skill-less Personas they drop. :getin:

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Lunar Suite posted:

Grinding the FOEs on the first level of the second labyrinth, then Sacrifice Fusing the high-level but skill-less Personas they drop. :getin:
Yep. I was getting worried about how hard it was to keep leveling subs when they were so experience heavy and then the game gives me the answer!

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2
Make sure you are fighting at least one of the FOE's on floor three of the 1st Labryinth, they drop an item that gives you the best armor well until the end of the 2nd dungeon.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Any particularily good sub personas you can fuse together at the start of the 2nd labyrinth? Its kicking my rear end quite a bit, playing on hard though.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

FrickenMoron posted:

Any particularily good sub personas you can fuse together at the start of the 2nd labyrinth? Its kicking my rear end quite a bit, playing on hard though.
Anything with Mudo (like Mokoi) or Hama (Ame-no-Uzume). Once you gain a few more levels, Archangel gets Mahama at 17, Incubus gets Mamudo at 16, and both of those are very useful for the entire dungeon.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
SP damage tiles!? Atlus! :argh:

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

So how much will I regret answering the second dungeon's question with my troll throttle stuck on "Full"?
I have, oddly enough, stopped using instant death in favour of raw physicals right now. Tempest Slash and Kanji just pulverize 90% of all enemies.
Mind Charge is ridiculously SP expensive but I presume that's what Boosts are for.

e: ^The SP damage doesn't affect Sub-Persona SP^

e2: Screwed up the Mr. X request. Am I missing out much? Wait, I got a Snuff Soul anyway.

e3: I creamed the first bonus boss with a combination of Disarm/Panic Circle, Spotlight and Bolt Link, having levelled a Setanta to have Double Link. Golden Beetle's weak to electricity and whilst your party members' physical attacks do ~1-3dmg, Bolt Link reliably follows up in the 150s for me. e4: Holy poo poo I think when you Power Charge a Link, that applies to the followup as well. Every time. e5: Ahahahaha holy poo poo Bolt Link triggers When a Panicked boss attacks itself. Power Charged, too. It killed itself.

Second FOE in second Labyrinth is reasonably susceptible to Poison and Strength/Magic binds.

Lunar Suite fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Nov 30, 2014

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Lunar Suite posted:

So how much will I regret answering the second dungeon's question with my troll throttle stuck on "Full"?

you can repeat the questionnaire once you've beaten the boss.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Where do I repeat the questionnaire, I'm curious.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Beef Waifu posted:

Where do I repeat the questionnaire, I'm curious.

Go back and start at the entrance of the second labyrinth. You should trigger some dialogue.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Protip: put your growth accessory on the other protagonist that you are not using. Thank me later.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dr. Fetus posted:

SP damage tiles!? Atlus! :argh:

I really, really, really don't get why people are upset about this.

90% of the tiles (and 100% of the required route) have paths you can walk around them without taking any SP damage whatsoever. Shortly into the dungeon you'll get enough resources to buy Winged Sandals which cost a trivial amount and allow you to walk over the tiles without damage.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Personally I wonder why they even bothered with trap tiles in the first place with the inclusion of winged sandals. I guess to remind people to use items or something.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Strange Quark posted:

You have to do from the game. On the title screen, notice how the last option is Add On Content?

I think that's afaik the DlC aren't released in Europe. Atluuuuuuus!

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Rascyc posted:

Personally I wonder why they even bothered with trap tiles in the first place with the inclusion of winged sandals. I guess to remind people to use items or something.

How long do the sandals actually last for? I assumed it was very short and didn't use them.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rascyc posted:

Its a general encouragement to use items and helps quietly stress that there are options besides brute forcing things, which is basically the lesson of the entire second labyrinth. The game is pretty Beginner EO and spends a good amount of time openly or quietly teaching you "here are how things work, yo."

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Prism posted:

How long do the sandals actually last for? I assumed it was very short and didn't use them.
40 moves

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Do the FOEs on the 2nd floor of the 2nd labyrinth have any exceptional weaknesses to debuffs? I couldn't get poison to land, and I ended up just brute forcing one down since Chie got enough crits to keep up a sustained Lunar Blessing through the fight, but it took something like twenty minutes to slog through.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

Moldy Taxes posted:

Do the FOEs on the 2nd floor of the 2nd labyrinth have any exceptional weaknesses to debuffs? I couldn't get poison to land, and I ended up just brute forcing one down since Chie got enough crits to keep up a sustained Lunar Blessing through the fight, but it took something like twenty minutes to slog through.

I was under the impression they were vulnerable to poison because I've had amazing luck with getting that to stick. If you're around level 29 you can also consider fusing up a Succubus, and grabbing their ability that increases your chance to land statuses.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
I don't get the switch puzzle at the end of B2 in the Evil Spirit's Den. Like, I get it, they want me to step on the switches in some order where the first two are with the lights off and second two with the lights on, I just don't care. What's the order?

E: Never mind, I figured it out. That was incredibly dumb.

Artix fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Nov 30, 2014

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

SC Bracer posted:

I was under the impression they were vulnerable to poison because I've had amazing luck with getting that to stick. If you're around level 29 you can also consider fusing up a Succubus, and grabbing their ability that increases your chance to land statuses.

Ah, that's quite a ways off since I'm level 19 at the moment. I just figured they'd be as easy to clear as the 1st floor's FOEs on my first run through.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
They don't have weaknesses which makes them a giant punch in the dick to actually kill.

You can also get Impure Touch from Incubus, who's only level 13 IIRC.

KingEffingFrost
Jul 9, 2011

Extreme corset action!

Manatee Cannon posted:

Whelp, finally got around to finishing the first labyrinth and am now crippled with indecision as to what my team should be. Kinda wish I hadn't given Naoto my Media card so quickly, her new VA is just weird man. Also holy poo poo, P3MC blows P4MC out of the loving water.

God I wish the people not in your active party still got experience. It's so dumb that after all this time they still haven't changed that in Persona games.

Well, at least the people not in your party get quest experience. Doing all the quests really helped me keep them at a usable level. Which is good because my approach has been "fuse the best Personas possible, then swap in whoever they're most compatible with".

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

SC Bracer posted:

I only had to apply poison twice for it to stick, too. Maybe I got lucky? I was using Aigis with Mothman.

e: for those wondering like me, I believe Blind Cupid's conditional drop is gotten from them when they're poisoned

Lunar Suite fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Nov 30, 2014

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I wish they let you use the Sacrifice Spread from the beginning. Kicks rear end not having to manually level up every persona.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
:laffo: the old doll is not immune to light

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Inflammatory posted:

:laffo: the old doll is not immune to light

Well, that certainly makes that fight a lot less of a pain in the rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
When Hama procs on a Burning Beetle. :allears:

• Locked thread