Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ockhams Crowbar
May 7, 2007
Always the simplest solution.

Bompacho posted:

Holy poo poo, if you're not bound by a bunch of confidentiality, and it's not too much of a sore point for you, then you should make a thread about that. I'd be interested to hear more about it.

New page so have something from my continent:
Cyclone Tracy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclone_Tracy

Below is the base of a steel loving pole, bent by Tracy.

The museum in Darwin has a darkened room where you can step in and listen to a sound recording made during Tracy by a priest. It's covered in warnings before you enter - and no joke, it's utterly terrifying to listen to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Ockhams Crowbar posted:

The museum in Darwin has a darkened room where you can step in and listen to a sound recording made during Tracy by a priest. It's covered in warnings before you enter - and no joke, it's utterly terrifying to listen to.

Youtube is magic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvyuFmk6s_U

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
More fuel for the thread: Diane Schuler:

quote:

36-year-old Diane Schuler left the Hunter Lake Campground in Parksville, New York, in a red 2003 Ford Windstar. Riding with Schuler were her 5-year-old son and 2-year-old daughter, and her brother's three daughters (ages 8, 7, and 5) ... On the way to West Babylon, New York, Schuler stopped at a McDonald's fast-food restaurant and a gas station in Liberty, New York. While at the gas station, she attempted to buy over-the-counter pain-relief medication, but the store did not sell any.

quote:

Witnesses later reported seeing a red minivan driving aggressively on Route 17/Interstate 86 and Interstate 87, including aggressively tailgating, flashing headlights, honking the horn, and straddling two lanes. At 11:37 a.m., Schuler called her brother and the father of the three nieces in Schuler's car. She reportedly told him that they were being delayed by traffic. According to a police report, Schuler was seen at approximately 11:45 a.m. by the side of the road with her hands on her knees, as if vomiting; she was seen again in the same position a short time later, north of the Ramapo rest stop

quote:

At about 1 p.m., another call was made to (her brother) from Schuler's cell phone. During this call, one of Schuler's nieces reportedly told her father that Schuler was having trouble seeing and speaking clearly. Schuler herself then talked and said that she was disoriented and couldn't see clearly. He reportedly told Schuler to stay off the road while he came to meet them; follow-up calls were not answered. A motorist later found Schuler's cell phone by the side of the road near the toll lanes of the Tappan Zee Bridge.

Investigators were trying to determine how (and why) Schuler got from the Tappan Zee Bridge to the Taconic State Parkway ramps near Briarcliff Manor, which is where the next information in this timeline comes from.

quote:

At 1:33 p.m., two drivers called 911 after noticing Schuler's van edging onto the northbound exit ramp of the Taconic State Parkway ... Within the next minute, four more 911 calls were placed by motorists who reported that a car was traveling the wrong way down the parkway. Schuler's van traveled south for 1.7 miles in the parkway's northbound passing lane before colliding head-on with a 2004 Chevrolet TrailBlazer, which then struck a 2002 Chevrolet Tracker. Schuler, her daughter, and two of her nieces were dead at the scene of the crash, along with the three men in the TrailBlazer

Some of the family indignantly insist she never drank or used drugs, although repeated tests show she "had a blood-alcohol content (BAC) of 0.19, with approximately six grams of alcohol in her stomach that had not yet been absorbed into her blood ... high levels of THC, the active ingredient in marijuana, in her system and had smoked marijuana as recently as 15 minutes prior to the collision". However:

quote:

The campground co-owner, who claimed to know the Schulers well and saw them off at approximately 9 a.m. that morning, said that Schuler appeared sober when she left; the gas station employee whom Schuler asked for Tylenol around 11 a.m. also said, "[I knew] for a fact [that] she wasn't drunk when she came into the station. According to an investigator, no McDonald's employees saw any signs of intoxication in Diane Schuler, when she engaged in extended conversation there while ordering food

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

outlier posted:

Some of the family indignantly insist she never drank or used drugs, although repeated tests show she "had a blood-alcohol content (BAC) of 0.19, with approximately six grams of alcohol in her stomach that had not yet been absorbed into her blood ... high levels of THC, the active ingredient in marijuana, in her system and had smoked marijuana as recently as 15 minutes prior to the collision". However:
I'm not sure what qualifies this as "scary or unnerving". A hell of a lot of addicts manage to conceal their addictions from their families.

Edit: Part of the Wiki article you didn't quote:

Wikipedia posted:

According to reports issued after the accident, a broken bottle of vodka was found inside the wreckage of her minivan.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I'm not sure what qualifies this as "scary or unnerving".

Parksville is spitting distance from my home town, so in my case it is! :v:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

It's still kinda unnerving for someone to get hosed up and kill their daughter and nieces. Not unbelievable, but still unnerving.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

quote:

no McDonald's employees saw any signs of intoxication in Diane Schuler, when she engaged in extended conversation there while ordering food

That's pretty scary and unnerving imo and signs of at least some kind of mental disorder.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Sleep paralysis.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Let's not neglect the fantastic HBO documentary on it: There's Something Wrong With Aunt Diane.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Solice Kirsk posted:

It's still kinda unnerving for someone to get hosed up and kill their daughter and nieces. Not unbelievable, but still unnerving.

Kids drove her so crazy she had to take them for a ride down by the lake . . .

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Tagra posted:

I think the thread will enjoy this one: The Secret Life of a Crime Scene Cleaner
http://narrative.ly/stories/the-secret-life-of-a-crime-scene-cleaner/

It's got everything. Gory details, mental illness, heartstring tugs...

Wow, I just want to say thanks for linking this article!

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

quote posted:

0.19 isn't bad. I think 0.34 is my record (blood test). Wait, that's not scary or unnerving... that's depressing. :smith:

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Let's not neglect the fantastic HBO documentary on it: There's Something Wrong With Aunt Diane.

Yeah, I'm curious in watching it after reading the wiki page.

Here's some hosed up poo poo:

"On July 26, 2011, the day after the premiere of HBO's documentary on the subject, There's Something Wrong with Aunt Diane, and on the second anniversary of the crash, Daniel Schuler announced that he is suing the State of New York for not keeping the road safe and his brother-in-law Warren Hance for being the owner of the minivan."

The husband actually sues the father of the 3 young girls who passed away because he owned the mini-van. How loving cold can you get.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Apparently the HBO documentary on it tries to argue that tooth abscesses caused her to get totally smashed in order to dull the pain. I guess her second attempt was fairly successful.

Her husband sounds like a total jackass who won't admit to himself that his wife had a drug problem.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

MrMidnight posted:

"On July 26, 2011, the day after the premiere of HBO's documentary on the subject, There's Something Wrong with Aunt Diane, and on the second anniversary of the crash, Daniel Schuler announced that he is suing the State of New York for not keeping the road safe and his brother-in-law Warren Hance for being the owner of the minivan."

The husband actually sues the father of the 3 young girls who passed away because he owned the mini-van. How loving cold can you get.

it's on vimeo, I'm about to watch it.

Edit: ended up watching it on YouTube. it's a horrible story. The husband is a bit of a prick, so I had a hard time having any sympathy for him at all, especially after seeing the last part of the above post. He was desperate to convince everyone she wasn't drunk, even suggesting a tooth abscess gave her a stroke and made her drink vodka thinking it was water. Wtf.

She was by most accounts a nice lady. She was driving drunk, with five kids in her car. There's no forgiving that, I don't care how nice she was before the rtc.

stickyfngrdboy has a new favorite as of 22:20 on Nov 30, 2014

Tibor
Apr 29, 2009

MrMidnight posted:

I thought it was his daughter, as well as his wife, who died. He's probably hosed up from grief.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
Just got a link to the documentary:

There's Something Wrong with Aunt Diane http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oy5CRexmfyA

It's fairly clear she was wasted and the denial is sad. The lack of motivation is bizarre: what drove her to get blind drunk inside a window of 45 minutes and then keep driving?

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

outlier posted:

There's Something Wrong with Aunt Diane http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oy5CRexmfyA

It's fairly clear she was wasted and the denial is sad. The lack of motivation is bizarre: what drove her to get blind drunk inside a window of 45 minutes and then keep driving?

There's a possible reason given at the end of the film. She had dreadful toothache, and couldn't find painkillers so drank vodka to blot the pain. Which doesn't explain the thc.Of course, I'd expect a woman in that situation to get home, where she'd presumably have painkillers, but she apparently took a really strange route home, which is for me the only baffling thing

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Alcohol withdrawal (or even the fear of it) can lead a person to make some poor choices. She was clearly a career alcoholic who was in so deep she needed booze to function on a day-to-day basis. gently caress her husband for not getting her help. That kind of dependence doesn't just happen overnight--he probably had six months at the very least to help her out of it.

People can be really good at hiding addiction, but when your tolerance has gotten to the point where you reach a BAC of .19 and you're not only still ambulatory but can engage in normal conversation, it's drat well past the time when your loving spouse should've intervened.

Galliope
Oct 12, 2012

outlier posted:

One of my fave docs, but I was pretty frustrated they did NOT cover the Ambien issue well at all. Sounds like classic Ambien adventures to me.

malleusmalefic
Jan 1, 2014
This might've been posted before, only read through the last six or so pages of the thread, but this is probably my favourite unnerving Wiki article: the Taman Shud case. Basically, a man in the late 40's washed up on an Australian beach and nobody knows why or who he is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taman_Shud_Case

quote:

The Taman Shud Case, also known as the Mystery of the Somerton Man, is an unsolved case of an unidentified man found dead at 6:30 a.m., 1 December 1948, on Somerton beach in Adelaide, South Australia. It is named after a phrase, tamam shud, meaning "ended" or "finished" in Persian, on a scrap of the final page of The Rubaiyat, found in the hidden pocket of the man's trousers.

Considered "one of Australia's most profound mysteries" at the time, the case has been the subject of intense speculation over the years regarding the identity of the victim, the events leading up to his death, and the cause of death. Public interest in the case remains significant because of a number of factors: the death occurring at a time of heightened tensions during the Cold War, what appeared to be a secret code on a scrap of paper found in his pocket, the use of an undetectable poison, his lack of identification, and the possibility of unrequited love.

Everything about this is weird, but very interesting. Always thought this would make a really great basis for a mystery/thriller movie or something.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Maybe this is rudely romanticizing, but I always thought the taman shud case was a simple suicide. He wanted to travel far away so his family wouldn't find his body, or be associated with his suicide and could just assume he vanished. He was learned which is why he's linked to the book, and wanted to pass away peacefully on a nice beach.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Speaking of mysteries, where are all these "garbage dick" avs coming from?

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

They're the new Stupid Newbie avs.

malleusmalefic
Jan 1, 2014

Wedemeyer posted:

Maybe this is rudely romanticizing, but I always thought the taman shud case was a simple suicide. He wanted to travel far away so his family wouldn't find his body, or be associated with his suicide and could just assume he vanished. He was learned which is why he's linked to the book, and wanted to pass away peacefully on a nice beach.

I could buy that, definitely

I like to think he was a spy who learned some real rear end poo poo and was then assassinated in the most undetectable of ways tho

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

If he was killed by the secret services, surely they just would have buried his body in the desert. Australia is awful and it's easy to make a body disappear. Sounds more like suicide though pos. unplanned homicide or accident.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Poison seems a strange sort of unplanned murder? Suicide seems the only reasonable explanation to me, witnesses state he was still alive if very sick when on the beach, if you were killing someone deliberately or otherwise I'd have thought you would at least make sure they were dead before you dump the body, at least in a public-ish spot.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Apparently the HBO documentary on it tries to argue that tooth abscesses caused her to get totally smashed in order to dull the pain. I guess her second attempt was fairly successful.

Her husband sounds like a total jackass who won't admit to himself that his wife had a drug problem.

Yeah it takes a different tack somewhat, which is interesting given the reading in this thread.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Pharnakes posted:

Poison seems a strange sort of unplanned murder? Suicide seems the only reasonable explanation to me, witnesses state he was still alive if very sick when on the beach, if you were killing someone deliberately or otherwise I'd have thought you would at least make sure they were dead before you dump the body, at least in a public-ish spot.

Keep in mind, it's Australia. For all we know, he found a new, horrible creature on the beach.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Yeah it takes a different tack somewhat, which is interesting given the reading in this thread.

That's fair. Maybe the husband really is right, but I really doubt there's a real mystery to the tragedy. I think the argument the documentary makes is just too far-fetched, and may only exist because of the husband's insistence or their need to make more of a story out of it than "Irresponsible drunk is irresponsible drunk, kills many."

Arsonist Daria has a new favorite as of 22:04 on Dec 1, 2014

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
I didn't think the documentary tried to argue anything, I think it just showed the husband arguing that case.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Wedemeyer posted:

Maybe this is rudely romanticizing, but I always thought the taman shud case was a simple suicide.
The code in the book is pretty cool, and remains mysterious even if it's a simple suicide.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

stickyfngrdboy posted:

I didn't think the documentary tried to argue anything, I think it just showed the husband arguing that case.

Yeah I agree. I watched this documentary last night (it's great btw) and I saw no part that even implied that the husband's "quest for truth" was legitimate. It's just another weird part to this tragic story.

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

Dissapointed Owl posted:

That's pretty scary and unnerving imo and signs of at least some kind of mental disorder.

You must not know many high-functioning alcoholics.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Having grown up with an alcoholic parent, all I can think is that the husband is full of poo poo and he should probably be feeling a lot of guilt for trusting all those kids in his wife's hands. That's hosed up.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

bonestructure posted:

You must not know many high-functioning alcoholics.

I've grown up with more than one alcoholic in my family, and I can assure you they're no more eager to engage in extended conversation with the employees McDonald's than the employees themselves are. You get in, place your order, you get out.

dads_work_files
May 14, 2008

important_document.avi

Wedemeyer posted:

Sounds like a taman and shud case to me

Highbrow Slick
Jul 1, 2007

it is a fool who stays alive - but such fools are we.
As a heads up, There's Something Wrong With Aunt Diane is available on Amazon Prime, if that suits you better than Youtube.

Double Plus Good
Nov 4, 2009
I honestly thought you guys were being facetious with the title of that documentary.

Iseult
Apr 21, 2010

hoc est bellum
Hell Gem

malleusmalefic posted:

I could buy that, definitely

I like to think he was a spy who learned some real rear end poo poo and was then assassinated in the most undetectable of ways tho

Actually the Futility Closet episode on this does mention some spy stuff :iiam:

http://www.futilitycloset.com/2014/09/08/podcast-episode-25/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

malleusmalefic
Jan 1, 2014

dads_work_files posted:

Sounds like a taman and shud case to me

Solid post. Thank you for posting it.

Pharnakes posted:

Well just because it was sudden doesn't mean it wasn't unplanned. Things could have gone wrong or whatever. Why would the guy make himself so unidentifiable? You'd think he wouldn't give that much of a poo poo if he was going to kill himself. Also all the clothing tags, the odd brand of cigarette they found on him, the whole poetry thing. He could have escaped somewhere he was being held or while he was bein transported or something, managed to run away and then in a drug-induced haze ended up on the beach before dying.

Also if these people had means of destroying anything that could possibly idenfity him, they probably wouldn't worry too much about where he was found.