Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
COnsidering I've nerver built a model, how hard would it be and what materials would I need to make a white Geara Doga?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

MonsieurChoc posted:

COnsidering I've nerver built a model, how hard would it be and what materials would I need to make a white Geara Doga?

Well you'll obviously need a model kit, which since you're a beginner, you'll want the HGUC Geara Doga: http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN956654/Gun

You're also going to want a pair of nippers and a sharp hobby knife: http://www.hlj.com/product/TAM74001/Sup http://www.hlj.com/product/IRD09911/Sup

As for the kinds of paints you will need, that's not really my field of expertise. My only advice would be to go for acrylic paints, since they are easy to work with.

TaurusOxford fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Nov 29, 2014

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Thanks, that's not too expensive. I was thinking of finding a project for Winter Vacation while waiting for College to start again. I also have an old Zollidia I need to finish (got it for cheap, started it, never finished because I got distracted by school and life).

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Painting will make it a bit tough, but if you just want one thing then break out the spray cans. You should plan out a color scheme and figure out the appropriate shades first though.

Also for Black Friday I bought a RD X2 Kai and a Den'an Zon (Black Vanguard colors) to harvest a shot lancer off of. I may be keeping to the name of the day a little too hard.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
re white Geara Doga: pure white paint will not work well over dark colors, so you'll need to lay down a light grey primer coat first.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
I'm replacing my aging Aztec airbrush with an iwata HP-S http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANEST-IWATA-HP-CH-0-3mm-Hi-line-Series-Airbrush-F-S-/181594115236?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a47da4ca4 but as such, I might need a better compressor. Any recomendations you folks might have I'm all ears.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Cat Machine posted:

They're... okay. I've ordered from them a few times with relative success (their cheapest delivery option uses low-rent couriers like Yodel and Hermes rather than Royal Mail which comes with a fair number of issues), but had a truly terrible experience with them the other week that has kinda sworn me off using them again.

Ordered a Build Burning Gundam and it was delivered by an absolute prick of a courier - he left it on the window ledge outside my ground-floor flat on a rainy day. That would be a fairly irritating incident on its own, but was compounded by the fact that Japan Cool had simply wrapped the kit's box in paper - no packaging box or padding/insulation. So once I got it inside, the kit box had basically been reduced to paper-mache and a couple of the runners were completely wrecked. I'll pull the photos off my phone later to show just how nightmareish the whole thing looked.

I got in touch with them to complain, and the owner was fairly apologetic and offered a free replacement with next-day delivery... Only it didn't show up for over a week. He gave me free delivery on my next order as compensation for that, but that's not much use when I'm probably never going to use them again.

As a UK Gunplar I generally find the best experience is just to order from Hong Kong eBay stores like tokyohobby and j3hobby and wait out the 10 day delivery rather than run the customs gamut from Japan or pay over-inflated UK store prices.

Delayed follow up to this: I'm looking at ordering on HLJ right now, would I be right in thinking that for the most part, it's better to get MGs from the eBay places you mentioned, and to get HGs a few at a time from Japan, with the calculated risk of customs? It seems that with HLJ if you put anything in an order with an MG the shipping shoots up.

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Nov 29, 2014

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So for future Gunpla-ordering plans, how are the HG Dynames and Cherudim? Any red flags I need to know about, or are they solid kits?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Ka0 posted:

I'm replacing my aging Aztec airbrush with an iwata HP-S http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANEST-IWATA-HP-CH-0-3mm-Hi-line-Series-Airbrush-F-S-/181594115236?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a47da4ca4 but as such, I might need a better compressor. Any recomendations you folks might have I'm all ears.

This is a pretty well-known budget compressor. You may need to get an adapter to get your airbrush to fit, and you will need some duck tape to properly seal the valves though.

If money isn't an issue, just get a brand name Iwata compressor and call it a day.

BizarroAzrael posted:

Delayed follow up to this: I'm looking at ordering on HLJ right now, would I be right in thinking that for the most part, it's better to get MGs from the eBay places you mentioned, and to get HGs a few at a time from Japan, with the calculated risk of customs? It seems that with HLJ if you put anything in an order with an MG the shipping shoots up.

It really depends on the box size. Lately MGs have been going for super large boxes, but a couple are just really deep HG boxes.

HLJ is honestly best as a bulk option, what with the private warehouse and all. For single orders, domestic options are almost always better. Especially Amazon, thanks to Prime shipping. Otherwise there's still plenty of great sites, like Model Grade or Tatsu Hobby.

Darth Walrus posted:

So for future Gunpla-ordering plans, how are the HG Dynames and Cherudim? Any red flags I need to know about, or are they solid kits?

00 S2 was when HG really started to hit its stride, so the Cherudim is great. Try and grab the GN Heavy Weapons version if you can, it's got everything the vanilla Cherudim has and more. As for Dynames, it's fine. It's hilariously sticker heavy, can't do the eye thing, and like all of the 00 S1 HGs suffers from some slightly wonky proportions, and wow I'm making it sound a lot worse than it actually is.

Though if you want the 1/100s, I know somebody here was kind of disappointed in the 1/100 Dynames. 1/100 Cherudim is great though.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

BlitzBlast posted:

This is a pretty well-known budget compressor. You may need to get an adapter to get your airbrush to fit, and you will need some duck tape to properly seal the valves though.

If money isn't an issue, just get a brand name Iwata compressor and call it a day.

I want a compressor that will outlive me. What are some good choices?

Also, is an Iwata Neo a good idea too? http://www.amazon.com/NEO-Gravity-Feed-Action-Airbrush/dp/B004INERK4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1405872753&sr=8-1&keywords=Iwata+Neo

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

BlitzBlast posted:

00 S2 was when HG really started to hit its stride.

Only Complaint about HG Cherudim, is that the pistols come white and not grey.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Ordered HG G-Arcane, Exia Dark Matter and Rozen Zulu ep 7, and the Powereder Arms and Dark Matter boosters. 00Q and Fenice R were out sadly. Think I'll leave my next MG for eBay or a free shipping offer.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Dammit. Normally if I pay extra for faster delivery from Japan-Cool, I get it next day.

I ordered my Unicorn and Geara Zulu yesterday, thinking it'd arrive today, and there's no deliveries on Sunday.

I NEED MY PLASTICRACK FIX.

Also I'm staring at GM Cardigan and Build Burning on my shelf and even though I don't particularly like BFT, I NEED Lightning to finish the team. :suicide:

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Nov 30, 2014

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

MJP posted:

Dom pics

I love painting pics, looking good.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Ka0 posted:

I have the equivalent of the Silentaire SuperSilent DR-150 that is still going strong after 35 years, but it costs as much as a rent payment.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

So be it. I've waited my whole goddamn life to have a good compressor and airbrush, now it's the time.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I'm no expert on compressors: mine was a hand-me-down but I've always liked that it is almost completely dead silent.

Oil-bath compressors like this will sometimes blow out small bits of lubricant along the pressure line, which is obviously not good, but a moisture trap should keep this from becoming a real issue and you should have one of those installed anyway.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Ka0 posted:

Also, is an Iwata Neo a good idea too? http://www.amazon.com/NEO-Gravity-Feed-Action-Airbrush/dp/B004INERK4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1405872753&sr=8-1&keywords=Iwata+Neo

It's not a 'real' Iwata airbrush, rather it's made by a different company FOR Iwata. I don't know how much the Iwata name matters to you personally.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ka0 posted:

buy harbor freight with the extended warranty and a moisture trap. Replace once a year for free forever.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

Blackchamber posted:

It's not a 'real' Iwata airbrush, rather it's made by a different company FOR Iwata. I don't know how much the Iwata name matters to you personally.

Not the name, just convenience. I know any dingy compressor will do the job, just been saving for something that doesn't require high maintenance regularly. This thing for instance http://www.ebay.com/itm/Iwata-Sprint-Jet-IS-800-Airbrush-Compressor-/390434860741?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5ae7bb2ec5

If the Neo isn't a proper Iwata isn't important. Is it as good as one? If not, I can cough up for a HP-S, it's not that far off. You guys weren't kidding about compressors, some cost an actual car downpayment.

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Also I'm staring at GM Cardigan and Build Burning on my shelf and even though I don't particularly like BFT, I NEED Lightning to finish the team. :suicide:

I finished the Burning and I'm going through a Fenice and the Cardigan at the moment. The Cardigan doesn't seem to have as much poseability as the burning but it's nice that they put all the "powerederereredeededrderder" stuff with the kit.
I bought 2 Lightnings but only 1 booster kit just because I intend to paint one like in the show and the other, like a real sniper

I really don't like backpacks on robots.

Ka0 fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Nov 30, 2014

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Ka0 posted:

Not the name, just convenience. I know any dingy compressor will do the job, just been saving for something that doesn't require high maintenance regularly. This thing for instance http://www.ebay.com/itm/Iwata-Sprint-Jet-IS-800-Airbrush-Compressor-/390434860741?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5ae7bb2ec5

If the Neo isn't a proper Iwata isn't important. Is it as good as one? If not, I can cough up for a HP-S, it's not that far off.

Here's a good review. https://sites.google.com/site/donsairbrushtips/neo-for-iwata

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
MG ZZ Evolve Gundam is complete:

Comparison shots with appropriate suits:

Good timing too. MG Alex came in the mail a couple days ago and I want to get at it.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Skinny ZZ looks so much better than fat ZZ.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Tenzarin posted:

Skinny ZZ looks so much better than fat ZZ.

Mobile suits are healthy at any size :mad:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I honestly don't know how you can say it looks better, but that's probably because I'm too used to regular ZZ. Still, it just looks really messed up.

I kind of want to try kitbashing the regular MG ZZ's parts on to the BTF ZZ's inner frame though.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

There are parts of Skinny ZZ that I really like, and parts I really actively hate.
It does look better in your shots than in promotional pictures though.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
The whole thing looks like it's in the wrong aspect ratio. If it were just thicker overall it would probably look fine.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Be it skinny or fat, I'll never like the ZZ. Some things are just constant in the universe.

Zodar
May 21, 2007

It's got cool legs, shame about absolutely everything else

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

Zodar posted:

It's got cool legs, shame about absolutely everything else

And here I think the legs are the worst part. They just look so... flimsy.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The Ver.ka ZZ looks pretty good and show-accurate, from a quick GIS. Anything obviously terrible about it I'm missing?

On a related note, how are the Zeta MGs? I like all the main suit designs in that show - the Hyaku-Shiki, the Qubeley, the The O, and the Gundams - and was thinking of using them as my introduction to Master Grades.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Darth Walrus posted:

On a related note, how are the Zeta MGs? I like all the main suit designs in that show - the Hyaku-Shiki, the Qubeley, the The O, and the Gundams - and was thinking of using them as my introduction to Master Grades.

Mk. II 2.0 is still a great kit, Zeta 2.0 is good but its sturdiness and articulation suffer a bit from having to be a transformer, The O is good but its bulk makes it a brick and the huge pricetag doesn't help. As for Hyaku-Shiki and Qubeley, i'll just say that they are old kits and really show their age.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

The Ver.ka ZZ looks pretty good and show-accurate, from a quick GIS. Anything obviously terrible about it I'm missing?

It doesn't exist outside of a resin kit or a GFF?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
poo poo, I got confused and was looking at a fanmade conversion. Never mind.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Which HG Dom has the best kit?

Got a hankering for one of those big beasts.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

You'll probably like the HGUC Dreissen. I'd recommend the more recent ZZ version since the Unicorn version has the typical Sleeves detailing issues.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

You'll probably like the HGUC Dreissen. I'd recommend the more recent ZZ version since the Unicorn version has the typical Sleeves detailing issues.

I'm actually awaiting delivery of a Geara Zulu, so I might get the Sleeves version. I've not actually watched much, but so far Unicorn is my favourite series.

This is ending with a Neo Zeon/Sleeves collection, isn't it? :negative:

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Nov 30, 2014

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
The dreissen is pretty sick

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Looking at the manual, the Blue Frame D is literally something a kid would come up with.

no you see it's covered with swords because they all do different things

and they all combine together into one big sword that is also a gun incidentally this thing is practically CE 00Q

and it's not just a black aile striker it's a vouivre striker jeez

If you ignore the silly rear end sensor dragoons the head does look nicer now though.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Dec 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

BlitzBlast posted:

I own this with a iwata neo and they're a great pair. Also, you dont use duck tape, you use plumbers teflon tape. BIG BIG difference.

I also have my friends Paasche compressor which is basically the same thing, but $100 more. I also have his iwata HP-CS and can say while it is nicer than the neo, it's not $100 nicer. They both paint the same, it's just the HP-CS is easier to clean.

The compressors are nice and quiet. I bought a Harbor Freight before to see and it was so loud you needed ear protection, and it wasn't usable in the house without annoying everyone. The $90 master compressor is almost whisper quiet. Trust me, this is important unless you like making GBS threads your pants every time the compressor kicks in.

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Which HG Dom has the best kit?

Got a hankering for one of those big beasts.

Get the MG. It's an amazing kit. Also the waterslide decals for it.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Dec 1, 2014