Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Unacknowledged posted:

So I have an iPhone that I'm able to airplay from my home server whenever I'm out and people want to watch something I have. It's really slick, but only useful when someone has an Apple TV in the house, which isn't too common.

If I grabbed a Chromecast, could I use it as a travel plex airplay device? I do have a Plex Pass if that still matters for using one with Plex.

The only problem with that is if you go to hotels and want to use their WiFi, it's a bit tricky to get a Chromecast to work since there's generally a "accept terms and conditions page". The best thing to do there is bring a portable router

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.

Medullah posted:

The only problem with that is if you go to hotels and want to use their WiFi, it's a bit tricky to get a Chromecast to work since there's generally a "accept terms and conditions page". The best thing to do there is bring a portable router

While that is definitely a good thought, I'd primarily be using this at people's homes for photos and movies and stuff. In that scenario, it sounds like it should work well. I think I remember reading that once you initiate the playback on the chromecast via my phone, the connection is then made directly between the chromecast and the plex server directly, and my phone is out of the loop, right?

JoeMB
Aug 13, 2011

Unacknowledged posted:

While that is definitely a good thought, I'd primarily be using this at people's homes for photos and movies and stuff. In that scenario, it sounds like it should work well. I think I remember reading that once you initiate the playback on the chromecast via my phone, the connection is then made directly between the chromecast and the plex server directly, and my phone is out of the loop, right?

That's correct. No media is streamed from your phone unless it's local media it just gets it from the source.

10-8
Oct 2, 2003

Level 14 Bureaucrat

teagone posted:

My general recommendation for someone seriously looking into putting together a Plex setup from scratch is to grab a relatively cheap file server, like this Lenovo TS140 (either with the Core i3 or Xeon, based on budget allowance), throw a couple hard drives in it, install a Linux distro + Plex Media Server, and call it a day. One of the coolest features of Plex is being able to view your media from anywhere, so having a box that can transcode content reliably is definitely recommended.

I bought a TS140 i3 last week to use for PMS and it's amazing. I ran a test and was able to transcode to my TV and four iOS devices simultaneously. It probably could have done more but I ran out of devices. For $230 plus HDDs (which I already had) the TS140 is a steal. Plus it's whisper quiet.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
This may be obvious but avoid WD green drives as media dives. I was attracted to the lower power consumption but a 2tb drive bought in April just went tits up yesterday.

I ordered a couple reds to replace everything.

10-8
Oct 2, 2003

Level 14 Bureaucrat

Roundboy posted:

This may be obvious but avoid WD green drives as media dives. I was attracted to the lower power consumption but a 2tb drive bought in April just went tits up yesterday.

I ordered a couple reds to replace everything.

I've had two 2 TB greens running flawlessly since 2010. I'm sure they'll die eventually but I haven't had any problems yet.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

10-8 posted:

I've had two 2 TB greens running flawlessly since 2010. I'm sure they'll die eventually but I haven't had any problems yet.

I had a 2 TB WD Green die on me last year, purchased in 2010 as well I think. Might have been a bad batch or something. I also had a 500GB Samsung F3 crap out on me last month. Replaced it with another 1TB WD Blue.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Had two 3TB Seagates due within the space of a month. Both were full. They seem as bad as the IBM Deathstars of the early 2000s, so avoid them like the plague (there's a report showing that Seagate are statistically the most likely to die compared to other brands). One of them is RMAd at least, but not sure I really want to put another in my system.

lokk
Nov 18, 2005
i'm legit.
I have 60 upload here in Taiwan, and am loving Plex to death so far. Have a ton of friends streaming with no problem simultaneously. What I am looking to do is find the best option for me to stream to multiple TVs in my apartment. I heard Chromecast might have some issues running outside the US, but I don't care about Netflix or any other online streaming options. I simply want Plex on my TVs somehow, to keep it simple for everyone involved. Will Chromecast do this for me without having to screw with DNS settings, or is there a better option for me?

Thanks for this thread, it has helped me out so much.

Arclyte
Apr 21, 2002
I'm really happy with this so far and I'm anxious to get that Fire TV stick so the kids can watch movies without having to skip through a bunch of previews and crap.

I have encountered one issue that I can't figure out though, hopefully I can explain it clearly. My backups seem to be missing translation subtitles. The best example I can think of is Avengers, the Black Widow interrogation scene at the beginning. If you watch it on Netflix, without subtitles turned on, it shows the English translation of the Russian speech. My backup of the movie doesn't do that. I always rip my movies with the subtitles and it is translated there, but I'd rather not have to watch everything with subtitles turned on in case there is foreign language spoken. It seems like I am just missing a setting in Handbrake. I don't know if I am using the wrong search terms or what but Google has not been very helpful in identifying this problem.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Arclyte posted:

I'm really happy with this so far and I'm anxious to get that Fire TV stick so the kids can watch movies without having to skip through a bunch of previews and crap.

I have encountered one issue that I can't figure out though, hopefully I can explain it clearly. My backups seem to be missing translation subtitles. The best example I can think of is Avengers, the Black Widow interrogation scene at the beginning. If you watch it on Netflix, without subtitles turned on, it shows the English translation of the Russian speech. My backup of the movie doesn't do that. I always rip my movies with the subtitles and it is translated there, but I'd rather not have to watch everything with subtitles turned on in case there is foreign language spoken. It seems like I am just missing a setting in Handbrake. I don't know if I am using the wrong search terms or what but Google has not been very helpful in identifying this problem.

They're called forced subtitles.

Arclyte
Apr 21, 2002
Thank you! I just saw that option in Handbrake and searched for it to see what it does and found that that is exactly what I needed. Luckily I've only ripped about 30 movies so far and probably only 5 or 6 of them have instances of extended foreign language.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

There's nothing quite like being 5 minutes deep into a scene and asking yourself the question "Wait, am I supposed to be understanding this?"

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

EL BROMANCE posted:

There's nothing quite like being 5 minutes deep into a scene and asking yourself the question "Wait, am I supposed to be understanding this?"

Or watching a side by side 3D movie and having non 3D subtitles pop up giving your the urge to vomit.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?
I setup my Plex media server a couple weeks ago and things were okay, but all of the sudden when I bring up my Media Server I get an error 400 bad request. I did some googling, deleted my User account cache and everything seemed okay for a few days. Now it's happening again and deleting the cache isn't solving it. :(

I reinstalled just for shits and giggles and nothing changed. Anyone have any experience with this?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Comfortador posted:

I setup my Plex media server a couple weeks ago and things were okay, but all of the sudden when I bring up my Media Server I get an error 400 bad request. I did some googling, deleted my User account cache and everything seemed okay for a few days. Now it's happening again and deleting the cache isn't solving it. :(

I reinstalled just for shits and giggles and nothing changed. Anyone have any experience with this?

Hmm, have you tried accessing the media manager from a different browser?

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Wait...wait.

What I said was...

...Do you understand?

teagone posted:

Hmm, have you tried accessing the media manager from a different browser?

Well I think it's more than browser issues because it shows up as disconnected to the friend I shared it with, but I'll check. :(

I have Comcast business class and I had to call them and have my modem configured in Bridge mode, so I'm not sure if that's related or not.

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

I have a Roku 3 that's always on, and I usually leave plex open on it. Is there a way to make it an airplay destination?? That would be amazing, as I have two airplay speakers (Pioneer A4's) and the "Dead zone" in my apartment is the living room. Can't seem to use The Google to figure out how to do it though :(

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Pretty sure right now, any source device thats iOS 7 or 8 is only able to AirPlay audio to non-official Apple gear. Which is a bit of a shame, as that shits useful.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Wait...wait.

What I said was...

...Do you understand?

Comfortador posted:

Well I think it's more than browser issues because it shows up as disconnected to the friend I shared it with, but I'll check. :(

I have Comcast business class and I had to call them and have my modem configured in Bridge mode, so I'm not sure if that's related or not.

Yeah when I use Chrome as opposed to IE that only tells me "invalid request" Ugh.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Comfortador posted:

Yeah when I use Chrome as opposed to IE that only tells me "invalid request" Ugh.

I honestly have no idea what would be causing that issue :(

Have you looked over Troubleshooting Server Connections under support? https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/200931138-Troubleshooting-Server-Connections

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

On My 2013 Nexus 7, if I try to play back some media the video is choppy unless I disable Direct Play. If that is disabled then I can play it back fine. This is only on certain media too. Any ideas?

porksmash
Sep 30, 2008
Are you up to date with Lollipop? The nexus 7 has some known issues with video playback now.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

porksmash posted:

Are you up to date with Lollipop? The nexus 7 has some known issues with video playback now.

Still on KitKat

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
So, just set up Plex and it's awesome. However, in the iOS app, say I go to Artists > Pearl Jam > All Tracks. How do I shuffle ALL of the Pearl Jam songs? It's only letting me play the songs in the particular album of the song I pick.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol
Is there any way to get Plex Media Server to recognize and scrape movies/TV shows that are RAR'd?

My Plex server is running on an Ubuntu box which is also my file server at home. I use it to serve files over Samba/Plex to various XBMC/Plex/Windows devices.

I've recently run into a problem where many of my files are in RAR format, which XBMC picks up fine but Plex does not recognize. Anyone have this issue?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Why would you not extract the movie from the rar?

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

sellouts posted:

Why would you not extract the movie from the rar?

Because I need to keep the file in rar format to seed, and if I extract it then its taking up twice the storage space since I have it twice.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I noticed on installing the latest PlexPass version of PHT that I spotted my username in the top right, and wondered if it was for fast user switching (finally! so useful). Changelog confirms it is, but doesn't seem to work for me...

quote:

Sign in/Switch user directly from menu on the home screen (press left)

I press left and I get the usual Quit / Prefs / Channel menu, nothing new on it and pressing left again doesn't do anything. Am I being dumb?

e: ah just spotted it's a whole new thing called Plex Home and I need to set it up for people in the house. Sounds good, hopefully the trakt plugin will listen to it in the future if it doesn't already.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Nov 24, 2014

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003
I've been having my DNLA streams pausing randomly and then I have to rewind for a second and hit play. Anyone having a similar issue?

yanthrax
Oct 18, 2004

straight in wit da barney rubble ridin spinnaz
Has anyone had any experience with FLAC audio streams in Matroska containers using the Plex client in the Amazon Fire TV Stick? I don't think it's the file, since all of them play fine on my other devices, but so far it's just the Fire TV Stick hates it.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
I'm trying out Plex on my Nexus Player and I'm not sure why it's struggling with certain things. Seems to take a few seconds before it starts playing anything. FF or RW any amount and it will hang 5-10s before it starts playing. Turn on subtitles and it starts stuttering. Play a movie with a DTS-MA audio track and it just hangs. Can't this thing just play files like XBMC does? I don't get all this transcoding bullshit. BTW, the quality options are all set to max and direct play/stream are enabled. Server is old and not powerful since it should just be storing files. I was testing with 1080p x264 mkvs.

I do prefer the Plex options and interface but it seems unnecessarily complicated compared to XBMC/Kodi in terms of playing the loving files!

wolfbiker fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Nov 29, 2014

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Plex is entirely based on a stable XBMC build. I think they usually are a version behind, but the very core of what XBMC can do is carried on into Plex.

The server/client split just makes it easier to have a central repository of your media, and then the clients just tap into what is available to them. If a device is able to play the file back natively, it uses Direct Play (you can see this in Plex Home Theater with one of the key presses that do similar things on XBMC, it's either I U or O from memory (they all bring up stats). Otherwise you can log into the Plex Server's web server and view what devices are active and how they're playing back.

I'm going to hazard a guess that the files you're trying to playback on the Nexus aren't natively supported, thus the server is having to transcode the file to make it playable. I used to have a bunch of video files that my Apple TV2 couldn't handle when it had XBMC installed, now I have Plex they'd be served a transcode to ensure they can play it back fine. You can change what quality this is delivered in on each clients Preference pane (which you'll notice for the majority is exactly the same as XBMC just with added elements).

I switched from XBMC to Plex a while back, and the only element that's been a disappointment is that live streaming services just aren't as well supported due to the server/client split. It's a shame you can't install "Channels" directly on the client and not just the server for some of these. Most of them are crap anyway, and I can get NFL GamePass working fine on my Apple TV so that's the important thing (as it's STILL not natively supported... grrr....)

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
I logged in and looked at the activity monitor, but it just shows that a connection was opened to my Nexus, nothing else, despite the Nexus trying (and failing) to properly play a video file in the other room.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Dumb newbie question, but why does Plex add some of my music to the library and not others? I can't see anything obvious in naming format, etc.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

wolfbiker posted:

Nexus Player
I was testing with 1080p x264 mkvs.

That's the issue. Lots of users are reporting issues with 1080p content on Plex on the Nexus Player. I last looked a week ago but there was no meaningful info beyond basically that.

Edit: I'm affected in a similar way too.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR
Has anyone else tried Openelec + plex? (not Plexbmc). I tried it the other day and have had some issues.

link: https://forums.plex.tv/index.php/topic/87943-openelec-plex-home-theater-the-all-in-one-pht-distro/

Cornjob fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Nov 30, 2014

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
Trip report: Picked up a cheap Amazon Fire TV stick, runs Plex great. Probably has a better interface than my TV does.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
If Plex could interface with my TV tuner my Chromecast would be the One True Box I've always dreamed of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

TheScott2K posted:

If Plex could interface with my TV tuner my Chromecast would be the One True Box I've always dreamed of.

I've been using a HD Homerun Plus with Plex and HTPC, Chromecast and Tablet and it seems to be working out okay.

https://forums.plex.tv/index.php/topic/101755-hdhomerun-viewer/

I've had it for under a day and in the process of setting it up found out my cable provided dropped all their clearQAM channels but I'm getting by with OTA.

Only one of their three players transcodes to h264 and it seems like that's the only way to get reliable playback with the Chromecast specifically.

Edit: still on sale

http://www.amazon.com/SiliconDust-HDHomeRun-Compatible-Streaming-HDTC-2US/dp/B00GY0UB6I

FormatAmerica fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Dec 1, 2014