Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

oddium posted:

Let the record show, by the way, that I Love Star Wars. It's dumb and magical and earnest and I love the beat-up ships and the droids and the imagery and Stars and the Wars

Ditto, this time next year I will be paying $15 to go see a Star War and given what JJ did in Star Trek 2009 I think Ill come out at least somewhat smiley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Pook Good Mook posted:

The worst to me is still Han shooting second. I mean I hate what it does to change the character and how crappily implemented it is obviously.

But to me the real dispositive thing that makes it so terrible is that the basis of the changes was "Well we couldn't do this back in 1976, so now we can finally make the movie I envisioned." That's fine for making Mos Eisley look more like a city, but there's no way in hell you didn't have the ability to make Greedo fire off a shot or two when you made the movie. It was solely tinkering for the sake of tinkering and it completely changes the way viewers feel about Han.

Though from what I've heard Fox and Disney worked things out so they will be releasing a Blu-Ray set of the original trilogy with cleaned up effects and sound but without the 1997 additions. I'm sure just in time for next year's holiday season.
What I've heard is that the reason for that Han edit was purely commercial - PG was a lot less restrictive in the 1970s than it was in the '90s, and apparently Han shooting first would've made the re-release PG-13 in the 90s.

Does this make Lucas MORE evil, or merely a DIFFERENT KIND of evil?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Man, where's Koos when you need him?

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

I've made a psycho call to the woman I love, I've kicked a dog to death, and now I'm going to pepper spray an acquaintance. Something... I mean, what's happened to me?
Here's my internet Prequels confession: I actually defended Jar Jar Binks to my dad. I even made an argument for how Jar Jar could get his pants on. This is how much I needed to defend that crap pile. And god drat it, it was worth every minute.

I now think they should have just CG'd Roger Rabbit into the movie and called it a day.

Love Rat fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Nov 30, 2014

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I dislike the style of Jar Jar's slapstick. He seems too aware of the camera.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Nessus posted:

What I've heard is that the reason for that Han edit was purely commercial - PG was a lot less restrictive in the 1970s than it was in the '90s, and apparently Han shooting first would've made the re-release PG-13 in the 90s.

Does this make Lucas MORE evil, or merely a DIFFERENT KIND of evil?

If true it just reinforces what everyone really knows in the first place, the MPAA ratings are an absolute waste of time and hurt good movies more than it punishes bad ones.

Though to play devil's advocate, Lucas didn't have a problem making Ep. III PG-13, so why the worry with Ep. IV? It's not like it was a question of how much money they'd make. It's not like people don't know what they're getting when they take their kids to a movie every parent has already seen before. That said, at least with Ep. III he may have been consciously making a thematic choice there and just couldn't think of anything to cut that wouldn't hurt the movie's message.

taco_fox
Dec 14, 2005

Pictured: George Lucas ruining Star Wars ca. 1976

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
This guy sperged so hard, I sensed a disturbance in the force. http://imgur.com/gallery/zMEq4

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Put simply, by the same standards that the prequels are awful and meaningless, so are the original films. If the Imperial "grey death-pits and catwalks" look is meaningless in Phantom Menace, then it is meaningless in Empire Strikes Back.

This notion reached a bizarre extreme when people with no idea how editing works began asserting that Star Wars has always been insanely bad - until Marcia Lucas heroically 'edited out all the worst stuff', leaving a lovely but distractingly snappily-edited film.

That's a bit closer to the truth, but the reality is there isn't a humongous difference between the prequels and the original films because Star Wars as a whole has always been pretty good. A New Hope is pretty good, and so's Attack Of The Clones. There isn't a huge gulf in quality or in content. One was simply made in 2002, dealing with desert invasions and CGI, while the other was made in 1977 and deals with Vietnam and Marshall McLuhan.

Star Wars is simply a series of movies, and has always been. It had no mystical power.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
The problem is the kids grew up but don't think their sensiblities do. They nostalgically hang on to the original trilogy but now that they can see the flaws in the prequel they also hate the fact it is catered to kids too. That's why they hate RotJ. "Ewoks beat the empire? Not in my saga of space knights fighting space wizards in space ships in space with robots! I can't take cartoonish comedy Jar Jar seriously...unlike Yoda."

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Pook Good Mook posted:

If true it just reinforces what everyone really knows in the first place, the MPAA ratings are an absolute waste of time and hurt good movies more than it punishes bad ones.

Though to play devil's advocate, Lucas didn't have a problem making Ep. III PG-13, so why the worry with Ep. IV? It's not like it was a question of how much money they'd make. It's not like people don't know what they're getting when they take their kids to a movie every parent has already seen before. That said, at least with Ep. III he may have been consciously making a thematic choice there and just couldn't think of anything to cut that wouldn't hurt the movie's message.

There was roughly a decade between those two decisions; back in the 90s you had to get G ratings for your animated films and when ROTS came out you had Pixar films being rated PG.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

My main problem is that if I want to go back and watch the prequels to see half the poo poo you always mention I have to get through the horrifying acting and even in 2014 I simply cannot stand listening to one word Hayden Christensen says without wincing and immediately wanting to turn it off. Even the short clips posted in this thread are intolerable.

Also I have zero problems with the Empire special edition. I can't think of one thing they did to make it worse and the effects they added look good.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Spaceman Future! posted:

Id love just to see a nice cleaned up release of the original cut.

Hello.

TheNakedFantastic
Sep 22, 2006

LITERAL WHITE SUPREMACIST

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Put simply, by the same standards that the prequels are awful and meaningless, so are the original films. If the Imperial "grey death-pits and catwalks" look is meaningless in Phantom Menace, then it is meaningless in Empire Strikes Back.

This notion reached a bizarre extreme when people with no idea how editing works began asserting that Star Wars has always been insanely bad - until Marcia Lucas heroically 'edited out all the worst stuff', leaving a lovely but distractingly snappily-edited film.

That's a bit closer to the truth, but the reality is there isn't a humongous difference between the prequels and the original films because Star Wars as a whole has always been pretty good. A New Hope is pretty good, and so's Attack Of The Clones. There isn't a huge gulf in quality or in content. One was simply made in 2002, dealing with desert invasions and CGI, while the other was made in 1977 and deals with Vietnam and Marshall McLuhan.

Star Wars is simply a series of movies, and has always been. It had no mystical power.

Have you ever considered you just have extremely lovely taste my man.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

kiimo posted:

Also I have zero problems with the Empire special edition. I can't think of one thing they did to make it worse and the effects they added look good.

A couple of spoken lines were changed for no discernible reason, which bugs me.

Luke to R2: "You're lucky you don't taste very good." changed to "You were lucky to get out of there." Not a big deal, but still a change for the worse, I think. We lose a tiny bit of humor and also a sort-of-explanation for why the whatever-it-was under the water spat him out.

Vader to no one in particular: "Bring my shuttle." became "Inform my Star Destroyer to prepare for my arrival." Also a change for the worse. The original line makes him sound royally pissed off; the new one a lot less so.

But overall, you're absolutely right, Empire was by far the least-butchered of the Special Editions.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I might be crazy but I'm pretty sure the "you're lucky you don't taste very good" was changed for the home video before the special edition thing happened. I was entirely confused by it while watching on VHS.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

TheNakedFantastic posted:

Have you ever considered you just have extremely lovely taste my man.
Why, for saying Star Wars movies are pretty good?

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

kiimo posted:

I think they've since edited it out, but Empire included one of the most obnoxious changes at some point. Luke screamed when he jumped. it completely undercut his heroism and decision to rather leap into the unknown than join the dark side.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

kiimo posted:

http://youtu.be/lNCB4PPia0w?t=12s

I mean what the gently caress is this. It's been taken out of the newer versions but christ.

TheNakedFantastic
Sep 22, 2006

LITERAL WHITE SUPREMACIST

Nessus posted:

Well, in particular saying clone wars is a pretty good movie.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Timeless Appeal posted:

I think they've since edited it out, but Empire included one of the most obnoxious changes at some point. Luke screamed when he jumped. it completely undercut his heroism and decision to rather leap into the unknown than join the dark side.

No way, is there a confirmation of this somewhere?

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

I've made a psycho call to the woman I love, I've kicked a dog to death, and now I'm going to pepper spray an acquaintance. Something... I mean, what's happened to me?

Nessus posted:

Did he say "all"? Basic logical errors are flying around like blaster fire around here.

If A=the prequels and B=the original films, then thinking A is poo poo =/= B is poo poo. We're dealing with two sets. Disliking a subset of Star Wars films does not mean disliking the entire series.

Love Rat fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Dec 1, 2014

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Someone should make a list of the most offensive changes. That scream is not nearly as bad as the Krayt Dragon scream. But is that worse than "NOOOOOO"? I'm not sure. I wouldn't even put Greedo shooting first #1 personally, that has to be the unforgivable jazz song in Jedi.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

kiimo posted:

I might be crazy but I'm pretty sure the "you're lucky you don't taste very good" was changed for the home video before the special edition thing happened. I was entirely confused by it while watching on VHS.

Could be. The VHSes are what I grew up with.

I did see Empire once in the theater, and since I would have been about four years old, it's probably one of my earlier memories. I faintly recall being terrified during the bit where the AT-AT is about to step on Luke. :)

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

kiimo posted:

Someone should make a list of the most offensive changes. That scream is not nearly as bad as the Krayt Dragon scream. But is that worse than "NOOOOOO"? I'm not sure. I wouldn't even put Greedo shooting first #1 personally, that has to be the unforgivable jazz song in Jedi.

I agree. The new music in Jedi is definitely the worst offender.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Love Rat posted:

Why is every argument so disingenuous on here? Did he say "all"? Basic logical errors are flying around like blaster fire around here.

If A=the prequels and B=the original films, then thinking A is poo poo =/= B is poo poo. We're dealing with two sets. Disliking a subset of Star Wars films does not mean disliking the entire series.

Considering the consensus of ROTJ is roughly equivalent to ROTS, you're dealing with a majority of the series.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I think I'd put Jabba being in IV #2, solely for the stepping on the tail part. Has to be the worst effect in the series. It's laughably bad.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Love Rat posted:

I agree. The new music in Jedi is definitely the worst offender.

The funny thing is that the song was in there when I first saw the film. I was about 7 at the time and it was awesome. When I eventually bought the OT set the scene felt weird without it.

To this day I still kinda like the song. Not enough that it should have been in the film but...

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

kiimo posted:

Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back
  • When Luke knocks Darth Vader off the platform during their duel, Vader says "ooooh!" instead of an "aaargh!"

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

why do you hate Star Wars so much man :( just go with the flow

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

HIJK posted:

why do you hate Star Wars so much man :( just go with the flow
I dunno man, he's saying he thinks all the movies are pretty good, and I contrast this with 'the first two were good, if ruined by revisions later; the third one was kind of bad; the next two were total garbage, and the sixth one was MAYBE as good as the third one'.

I dare say SuperMechaGodzilla likes Star Wars movies more than y'all. You might feel his taste is poor but the numbers don't lie.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Me though, I love star wars.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Powered Descent posted:

Could be. The VHSes are what I grew up with.

I did see Empire once in the theater, and since I would have been about four years old, it's probably one of my earlier memories. I faintly recall being terrified during the bit where the AT-AT is about to step on Luke. :)

I saw Empire at home as a kid at a family friend's, with a Empire Strikes Back artbook that had a bunch of cool little drawings and concept art and things, and pizza. That's why it's my favorite, honestly. A New Hope is a close second.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Dec 1, 2014

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I would marry Star Wars I like it so much.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Nessus posted:

I dunno man, he's saying he thinks all the movies are pretty good, and I contrast this with 'the first two were good, if ruined by revisions later; the third one was kind of bad; the next two were total garbage, and the sixth one was MAYBE as good as the third one'.

I dare say SuperMechaGodzilla likes Star Wars movies more than y'all. You might feel his taste is poor but the numbers don't lie.

it's another Star Wars hater! jesus they're everywhere, how did it come to this!

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

:agreed:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

It had no mystical power.

As opposed to other films.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

kiimo posted:

jabbas big door

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Return of the Jedi was sooo good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

When Kirk is dying and Spock yells "CAAAAN (sp ??)" instead of Spock dying and Kirk yelling. I literally got up in the theater but then a mom yelled so I sat back down. #starwars #mychildhood #IveGotABadFeelingAboutThis

• Locked thread