Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
Holy poo poo, the end of an era. I salute the old whalehunter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Crazy as Eddie was, I still admired the way he came down on the open pedophiles after years of ignoring the obvious. DELETE EVERYTHING.... then slowly put everything back because it hosed up the site's coding..

BlueDude
Aug 7, 2014

cptn_dr posted:

Apparently "Chris and Drew" are taking over from Ahab.

'Tis a sad day. I remember the last thread had a guy making intentionally awful stick-figure comics during the pedo purge, so I tried to replicate his style here:

I mean, it's not like this will change the userbase in any way, but still. It's worth some sort of memento.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Wonder who these new guys are. They don't appear to have had a wiki or forum presence before this. Ahab didn't lose the site in a tavern bet, did he?

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Darth Walrus posted:

Wonder who these new guys are. They don't appear to have had a wiki or forum presence before this. Ahab didn't lose the site in a tavern bet, did he?

He reproduced asexually and is now two smaller admins.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

A facebook like UI, a blatant ripoff is still miles better than what Fast Eddie Could ever do. Although I must ask if they're like FE in regards to not liking a quote system. Hell since I'm being delusional maybe they'll remove all fanfic links and references to real life. And moniter the threads. And stop non family friendly content. And the Notability clause. And give babies superpowers.

Impatient Skype JO
Nov 26, 2011

leave a sign ... something witchy

you posted:

your text here

Dark Souls posted:

imminent beating to a pulp

BlueDude posted:

'Tis a sad day. I remember the last thread had a guy making intentionally awful stick-figure comics during the pedo purge

Intentionally awful? :(

But seriously though, It's strange to visit this thread after so long only to find out ol' Fat Eddie is stepping down and handing control of the site over to some new guys. These are some crazy times!

BlueDude
Aug 7, 2014

Annointed posted:

A facebook like UI, a blatant ripoff is still miles better than what Fast Eddie Could ever do. Although I must ask if they're like FE in regards to not liking a quote system. Hell since I'm being delusional maybe they'll remove all fanfic links and references to real life. And moniter the threads. And stop non family friendly content. And the Notability clause. And give babies superpowers.

Sadly, they are not changing any of the policies (as Drew's forum post above shows.) And yes, I know you're bein' sarcastic.

On an unrelated note, does Kickstarter have any policies against copyright infringement? There's at least two definite strikes on the TV Tropes one (Bowser's in one of the pledge goal images, and the video ends with a picture of an anime dude), and I'm pretty sure there's a lot more. You can't really claim it as "fair use", either, since it's not being used to make a point - it's just background decoration.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Good to know that Doctor Who is really close to real life, according to TVTropes. :haw:

BlueDude
Aug 7, 2014
A choice comment from a backer of the Kickstarter:

Lin Liren posted:

Just wondering

1) Are we breaking free from Google Sponsorship?

2) If so (or not) does this mean that we will be allowed to talk about things that are "Controversial" again like when we first started or are we still staying "Family Friendly"?

Thanks!

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

BlueDude posted:

Big google is holding up the hebephilia vs. pedophilia debate! We'll never advance as a species if we can't clear this up!

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Wonder how much these two idiots paid Fast Eddie to buy the site from him.

Whatever it was, it was too much. I mean sure the content is basically free, since the user base provides it... But you have to police those pervs to make sure google doesn't pull out again. No ad revenue is worth that.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I want all anime or at least all Japanese named tropses removed

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

amuayse posted:

I want all anime or at least all Japanese named tropses removed

You are an anime.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Jojo is one of the good ones so it doesn't count.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
What are the odds that the new guys actually remember to put in such features that every other website has like password recovery and quotes in the forum? If they actually do that I'll call them more competent than Fast Eddie.

Who am I kidding, if they aren't storing passwords in a plain text file then they're more competent than Fast Eddie.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
At least this means the old guard (the pedos and racists who were used to an "open environment") are going to be leaving because they "don't trust the new admins" even if they don't know them.

I've been on enough forums (and even workplaces, come to think about it) to know what happens when a new admin comes aboard.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

FrozenVent posted:

Wonder how much these two idiots paid Fast Eddie to buy the site from him.

Whatever it was, it was too much. I mean sure the content is basically free, since the user base provides it... But you have to police those pervs to make sure google doesn't pull out again. No ad revenue is worth that.

They must have paid a lot. Their kickstarter is asking for 50 000 dollars. How much do you want to bet that most of that will go towards recouping whatever they shelled out to buy the site?

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Hammurabi
Nov 4, 2009
And of course she's a brony.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Ahem.

pegasister

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

BlueDude posted:

I thought TvTropes' problem was that it was too Family Friendly.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Hey, at least she's quit doing that stupid "this one" third-person bullshit.

Ague Proof posted:

I thought TvTropes' problem was that it was too Family Friendly.
:thurman:

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
Does anyone know what happened to Fast Eddie? Dead? Eaten?

And the Kickstarter is, unsurprisingly, already up to $18k in a day.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Dabir posted:

Ahem.

pegasister

Ahem.

Utter human garbage.

MK Velocity
Nov 30, 2014

I had my molar knocked out by a dildo bazooka.
Both pegasisters and bronies are the epitome of human garbage, I don't think it matters which one they are.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
This is my first exposure to the wonderful world of TV Tropes. I hate it, I hope they die

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Everybody pour out a 40 for Captain Ahab .

Now taking bets on when Yahtzee turns up dead.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I'm not giving a dime to the TVTropes Kickstarter until they bring back all the links I put up on the "Bigger is Better in Bed" trope page Yes they were all links to imgur photos of my junk but that is why I posted them in the "real life examples" section.

Under the subheading "subversions."

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
You folks are way too cynical. I'm confident that not only will the Kickstarter reach its goal, but also that in a year's time, we'll all be marveling at what a vastly improved site TV Tropes has become.

Just you wait and see.

BlueDude
Aug 7, 2014

Shrikesnest posted:

Can I just say a huge "thank you" to Fast Eddie? He did an amazing job running my favorite website for a decade, and I can't imagine it was easy. Being in charge is a constant headache, especially when you're running a wiki. Eddie had to make calls for the wiki that were absolutely the right move, but weren't popular with big groups of people. I'm glad he had the guts to do it.

Because he had the fortitude and the strength to put up with years of emotional abuse from strangers, the wiki held on through things that might have capsized it. There's an alternate universe where the Google incident obliterated the wiki. There's an alternate universe where the wiki got sold to some big company years ago for a tidy profit and quality took a nosedive. There's a hundred alternate universes where this wiki doesn't exist or is changed beyond all recognition. The fact that we don't live in those universes is a gift from a man who had to stay up all night giving himself ulcers on more than one occasion.

We appreciate it, Eddie. Go on to your well-deserved rest. Thanks for a great ten years.

Anais Nun
Apr 21, 2010
And I thought there were no more laughs to be had in the TV tropes threads. Farewell, paranoid old Eddie, and hello new admins who may or may not know what kind of sinkhole of weirdos they just bought for a handful of magic beans and a string of utterly busted code. Here's to a whole new 'fun, breezy, informal wiki' full of rape tropes and catastrophic misunderstandings of every work of literature that doesn't contain elves or a motherfucking dragon.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Anais Nun posted:

And I thought there were no more laughs to be had in the TV tropes threads. Farewell, paranoid old Eddie, and hello new admins who may or may not know what kind of sinkhole of weirdos they just bought for a handful of magic beans and a string of utterly busted code. Here's to a whole new 'fun, breezy, informal wiki' full of rape tropes and catastrophic misunderstandings of every work of literature that doesn't contain elves or a motherfucking dragon.

And most of the ones that do.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

quote:

There's a hundred alternate universes where this wiki doesn't exist or is changed beyond all recognition.

Truly we live in the worst of all possible worlds.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

DaveWoo posted:

You folks are way too cynical. I'm confident that not only will the Kickstarter reach its goal, but also that in a year's time, we'll all be marveling at what a vastly improved site TV Tropes has become.

Just you wait and see.

Maybe they'll hire Radium as a coder, and no-one will be able to access the site. What a vast improvement that would be.

BlueDude
Aug 7, 2014
Honestly, the thing that weirds me out about TV Tropes is that the sheer number of people who don't realize what it's about. That is, a lot of people fall for its facade as a time-waster and general funny-but-informative database, but somehow completely overlook the emptiness of its content and incredibly creepy userbase.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

BlueDude posted:

Honestly, the thing that weirds me out about TV Tropes is that the sheer number of people who don't realize what it's about. That is, a lot of people fall for its facade as a time-waster and general funny-but-informative database, but somehow completely overlook the emptiness of its content and incredibly creepy userbase.

It's not that weird. Wikipedia works the same way.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

BlueDude posted:

I get that the user base is creepy (like Wikipedia) but the whole "emptiness of its content" thing sounds maudlin. Most of what drives the traffic to TV Tropes are the mainstream trope and work pages, and people find them fun and amusing. There's no need to act like those people are dimwits, or at least any more mindless than the people who choose to watch Orange is the New Black, or read a book, or whatever.

I think it would be a perfectly good site if it didn't have any creepy sex poo poo on it or a forum full of furry paedophiles.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

TildeATH posted:

I think it would be a perfectly good site if it didn't have any creepy sex poo poo on it or a forum full of furry paedophiles.
Nah. Even as a brainless way to kill time, it's pretty bad; I remember having a bit of fun when I first ran into it and gradually realizing just how bloated and smothered it was with useless bullshit, to say nothing of all the laughable "awesome" and "scary" and "deep" trash that the Tropers were always creaming themselves over. For it to be "a perfectly good site", it would need some serious oversight and pruning that it doesn't (and will never) have.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Dec 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS
If nothing else, they'd need to drop that whole "No such thing as notability" nonsense, that puts somebody's gay schoolboy Sherlock fanfic on the same level as Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's original Sherlock Holmes stories.

ETA: And then of course they'd still need enough oversight and pruning to make that policy effective.

• Locked thread