Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Ugh I'm hoping other people take the jobs so I'm not tempted to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

lightpole posted:

Ugh I'm hoping other people take the jobs so I'm not tempted to.

I've gotten so used to being on a 2014-built boat, not sure how tempting an ancient Matson steamer would even be anymore. A cranky old Matson diesel boat... :getin:

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Steam ships are sweet. Always sail steam.

Your daily rate on the C-9s as a 3rd is somewhere around 1k a day do you might want to consider it.

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf

Mr Teatime posted:

I don't suppose anyone could give me some career guidance based on their own experience? I have a British ticket and I'm about to do my second trip as a 4th eng with Maersk Line, if hypothetically I wanted to ditch Maersk containers what are my best options to consider? My current plan is to fix up my CV and just fire it at everyone that owns a ship and see what if anything bites. Also if anyone has experience of escaping to a shore job I would be interested in hearing about it.

Well, we have quite a few British guys in Maersk Supply Service, maybe try them?

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Supply is a good bet if you've got a British ticket should be decent amount of work in the north sea? Almost always time on time off (either a month or six week rotation) and a pretty cushy job where you get to play boats with a 16000 horse power tug. What more could you ask for.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

I have thought about supply, I don't actually know how hard it is to move around inside Maersk. I almost landed in Maersk tankers before some other sod swiped the job and the gist of it then was 'yes maybe one day'. In a slight change of topic, supposedly we get a half day on Sunday. I can count the number of times I got the drat thing in my last trip on the fingers of a rude gesture. I know its petty but having that rest time taken away on the flimsiest of excuses every loving week is depressing as gently caress. If something goes wrong and I have to work extra time that's fair enough but 9/10 its some nonsense that will still be there on Monday. It's not like they give me it on another day because obviously Sunday is the sacred rest day and if you miss it tough poo poo. I know its minor but I wish they would just stop promising it if they aren't going to loving deliver.

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf
Well, FWIW, I see plenty of guys coming over from deep sea. Of course you don't have that much sailing time, but I'd give it a shot.

On my ship at least they do get half days on Sunday.

Oh, and if you manage to get on a Danish flagged vessel you don't pay taxes apparently, but you're still paid as if you do.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Internet rumor says $100/day pay cuts at Chouest! Oh boy oh boy!

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Getting ready for a second interview with Doctors Without Borders as my fallback.

Need to take the GMAT so I can get a master's and do something else.

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005

Mr Teatime posted:

I have thought about supply, I don't actually know how hard it is to move around inside Maersk. I almost landed in Maersk tankers before some other sod swiped the job and the gist of it then was 'yes maybe one day'. In a slight change of topic, supposedly we get a half day on Sunday. I can count the number of times I got the drat thing in my last trip on the fingers of a rude gesture. I know its petty but having that rest time taken away on the flimsiest of excuses every loving week is depressing as gently caress. If something goes wrong and I have to work extra time that's fair enough but 9/10 its some nonsense that will still be there on Monday. It's not like they give me it on another day because obviously Sunday is the sacred rest day and if you miss it tough poo poo. I know its minor but I wish they would just stop promising it if they aren't going to loving deliver.

Box boats suck. Things open up a lot when you have your Seconds/Chiefs.

Smash out the sea time until you get the ticket(s).

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

pazrs posted:

Smash out the sea time until you get the ticket(s).

Thread title right there.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

FrozenVent posted:

Thread title right there.

Riding this two watch boat day and a half for day thing into the ground.

Edit:
Should be an interesting few weeks for me, we're going to de mob the boat, wire and install remote actuators on our ballast system, herd a ton of vendors through warranty work and herd tank cleaners, and scrub the boat which has had thirty to forty deck engines on it. Then we can start on all the maintenance we haven't been able to do while attached to a rig for four months.

shovelbum fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Dec 4, 2014

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006
Doing my duty for king and coutry since 86
welp day rates for OSVs in the spot market on UK sector just hit 7000£

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

You wanna laugh look at day rates for cape size bulkers these days.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Our third assistants are getting slashed to like 70k/yr, our chief says they should be happy with it because 90k for six months sailing is an impossible dream for a third outside the oilfield, can any Americans clarify? He also says chiefs deep sea make like 120k.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Deep sea American chiefs?

When I sailed deep sea FOC ten years ago the captain made 35k.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I've been making around 100-120k sailing 5 months as third the last two years without trying very hard. MEBA 3rds should start around 90 easy, chief in between 150-180 I think. Rigs make more. You need to move somewhere else at that rate.

For 6 months work that is. I'm assuming FrozenVent is talking per month and 30-35k/month is in the ballpark.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

No I was talking per year. FOC though so the guy was from a developing country. Those guys make peanuts, it's kind of amazing.

Not sure how much Canadian captains make, first mate on a bulk carrier is 120-140 or so for six and a half months.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Here's how I run the numbers. Base everything on working 2000 hours a year. 50 weeks x 40 hours. Now if you don't go to sea and work that schedule you will have 4 months off, 52 weeks x 2 days is 104 plus 10 days is 114 right off the bat. So if you need to sail more than 8 months out of the year to reach your shoreside equivalent you are losing a lot of time and life. 6 months of sailing generally comes out to around the mentioned 2000 hours.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
ILWU are doing a work to rule slowdown on the west coast. Have some friends in business working as expiditers pulling people's containers out in SoCal.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I had a conversation on facebook this morning:

HIM: We were boarded last night by pirates/robbers

Cunts took a gently caress load of fuel from deck lol

ME: holy gently caress
i'm glad you're ok man

HIM: Africa is not a pleasant place

ME: no so i've heard
no injuries?

HIM: Nope. Just stole a load of fuel and the actual fuel tanks for the MOB boat and workboat so now we can't launch the fucker
ME: so what happens then, are you off hire?

HIM: Yeah. Off hire waiting on a job

Sourcing fuel tanks is proving rather difficult haha

:stare:

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
West Coast? All our stuff on the east side carries security and they have a ready place to take whole ships in Somalia. The stuff around Nigeria is mainly to steal crap since they don't have a place to hole up at. I heard Nigeria wouldnt allow weapons on ships entering, probably cause government officials were passing on ship information and got a cut of the take.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah he said he was about 200nm west of Nigeria.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Are OSV/drillship refugees flooding the halls yet?

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006
so ballast how does it work

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

angle of :lol:

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2895837/Car-transporter-cargo-ship-runs-aground-Isle-Wight.html

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Gcaptain had them at a 51 degree list :laugh:

I get that these things have short GMs, but drat, how do you gently caress up that badly?

Any bets on whether they'll preventively scrap all the cars like they did after that gently caress up in Alaska?

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

shovelbum posted:

Are OSV/drillship refugees flooding the halls yet?

Gotta get a drug test and some motivation and I will let you know. My buddy is trying to get me on the Alabama but I really hate flying to NY.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

FrozenVent posted:

Gcaptain had them at a 51 degree list :laugh:

I get that these things have short GMs, but drat, how do you gently caress up that badly?

Any bets on whether they'll preventively scrap all the cars like they did after that gently caress up in Alaska?

Do RO/ROs like that generally chain their cargo down, or are they just parked with the brakes set?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

They're lashed down, that's why imported cars have those pad eyes on the chassis.

Otherwise that thing would have just flipped over.

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf
I saw my first irl grounded ship a few days ago. Far less dramatic than that Höegh ship, though.

We were about to tie up to it, but then some harbor tugs pulled it free.

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006

FrozenVent posted:

They're lashed down, that's why imported cars have those pad eyes on the chassis.

Otherwise that thing would have just flipped over.

Ship is loaded with 1200 jaguars gonna be expensive if they screw up the salvage

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

SMIT and Titan executives must be walking around with a giant boner right now.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Trench_Rat posted:

Ship is loaded with 1200 jaguars gonna be expensive if they screw up the salvage

Chinese cars dont cost that much.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Trench_Rat posted:

I guarantee that the car manufacturers will be writing then all off. There no point in dealing with the risk, that's what insurance is for...

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

"Hey, QA, this is marketing. So, did you guys test all the cars for multiple day long inclination at 50 degrees in a very humid environment? I see. Hhmmmmhmmm. Let me call risk and get back to you."

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005
They're aptly called RollOnRollOvers.

On another topic, most (all?) modern purifier discs are NO SCRUB. They've got fancy coatings. Our sister vessel had a new relieving third ruin about 2k worth of discs. Not a bad level of destruction for a scotch pad, the same applies to plate coolers.

"But I've been doing it for twenty years!"

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

pazrs posted:

They're aptly called RollOnRollOvers.

On another topic, most (all?) modern purifier discs are NO SCRUB. They've got fancy coatings. Our sister vessel had a new relieving third ruin about 2k worth of discs. Not a bad level of destruction for a scotch pad, the same applies to plate coolers.

"But I've been doing it for twenty years!"

Who gets on a new ship and works on brand new equipment without looking at the book? I do it even if I've already been there done that because I forget everything the second my feet hit the shore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005

lightpole posted:

Who gets on a new ship and works on brand new equipment without looking at the book? I do it even if I've already been there done that because I forget everything the second my feet hit the shore.

Case of 'you don't know what you don't know' I guess.

But yeah on joining, after the sign up bullshit with the old man and the chiefs standing orders, the next step is to bury my face in the equipment manuals and the relevant planned maintenance records.

• Locked thread