Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Good Username
Oct 10, 2007

tacodaemon posted:

Anyone recognize this guitar?

From the trem and the truss rod adjuster I'd guess something Japanese

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Allen Wren posted:

No, I'm too busy recoiling in horror at the rest of the photo.

anyone else hear michael row your boat ashore and the backmasked "join us" part at the beginning of hell awaits simultaneously?

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

Dr. Faustus posted:

Hey, you're good. This is how pretty much all of us learn this poo poo. By setting out bravely to attempt something we haven't done before, loving it up somewhere between "moderately" and "beyond repair," then backtracking and figuring out what we did wrong.
Hell, I've put new electronics in a ton of guitars, mine and those belonging to my friends, and I often still approach each one trying to remember how to read my wiring diagrams and decoding what color wire is which wire based on the manufacturer. I rarely get anything right on the first try, because I just don't do it often enough to keep it fresh in my mind.

From your post I'd say your #1 issue is not having the pickup up-side down. Also, I happened to have a roll of very wide masking tape which nearly covered the entire surface of that nickel cover with one piece. It didn't go anywhere.

I bought Gulf Wax paraffin from the canning section of a grocery store. I bought the thermometer because I wanted to eat chicken breasts that were baked just to cooked but not dried out. I might have spent as much as $15 for it at WalMart. The pickup was suspended from a couple plastic rods that were taped together and some black thread. It isn't exactly the safest way to do it but it was extremely cheap. To be fair, though, DiMarzio is awesome about this. I asked what it would cost to pot my Eric Johnsons (I bought and installed the covers myself and HELLO SQUEAL) and they said if I paid to ship them they'd do it right for $25 a pickup. That's a pretty good deal. I just figured if a lunkhead like EVH can wind his own pickups (if he's even honest about that) and pot them himself, then I should be able to do it, too. The article just gave me the confidence to try it.

Well, it seemed to work - the first one I did didn't hum much and when I took it back apart (too much space between pole pieces and cover caused issues - too little output, too tall a pickup, doing something else with it now) the wax had encased it solidly, so I think it worked. I did some other pickups that were already microphonic, I've installed one of them so we'll see how it goes tomorrow - it's still working fine and didn't make noise when I turned it fairly loud but it's late so I can't really crank it.

Will definitely get a larger container and a thermometer next time. Being in Australia kinda sucks for a lot of this stuff - I've never seen paraffin wax in a supermarket though I might not be looking hard enough, and of course there aren't any large pickup manufacturers here so potting means getting a luthier to do it, which is a bit more than the $10-25 you guys get charged. Still, the mixture and setup I used worked nicely and I've got plenty left, just gotta tweak it a bit.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Stux posted:

this is from a few pages back but yo compression isn't very complicated guys

Compression is awesome for slide guitar.

Glass slide + humbucker guitar + compression + fender amp on the verge of breakup = you can sound just like Derek Trucks.

Aoi-chan
Jul 28, 2003

Lol, I want to be offended so badly for so many different reasons.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Dirt posted:

you can sound just like Derek Trucks.

you can, but why would anyone want to

Dirt
May 26, 2003

comes along bort posted:

you can, but why would anyone want to

I've run into a few people trying their best to sound just like him :shrug:

He's pretty good, but totally trying to be another guitar player is pretty lame, see: 50 year dudes pretending to be SRV.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
Oh Craigslist, you're the best.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Dirt posted:

He's pretty good, but totally trying to be another guitar player is pretty lame, see: 50 year dudes pretending to be SRV.

Don't crush the hopes of bluesdads everywhere.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

pointlessone posted:

Oh Craigslist, you're the best.

Sorta looks like a sad cyclops.

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011
Speaking of craigslist....

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

Dirt posted:

Sorta looks like a sad cyclops.

I was just pointing out the "Needs Tuning", but now that you mention it, it really does.

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

:tastykake:||||||||||:tastykake:
Hate the Agile headstock? Well don't worry it's been fixed to look worse!

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

crashdome posted:

swirl paint jobs look dumb but the process is kinda neat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-QzJxVXb8k

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

booshi posted:

Christ. The agile headstock is kinda dorky, but that looks like he took it outside, and scraped it on the sidewalk for a couple of hours.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

crashdome posted:

I've been in this thread long enough that I'm basically inured to this sort of thing...except that red pickup. It doesn't match at all and it's so obvious right in the middle of the thing. Ugly.

booshi posted:

Jesus, even I could do a better job than that.

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011

Allen Wren posted:

I've been in this thread long enough that I'm basically inured to this sort of thing...except that red pickup. It doesn't match at all and it's so obvious right in the middle of the thing. Ugly.

That's the problem with anything plastic.

Best go wood. http://reedjamescustom.com/id10.html

quote:

that produces the true vintage balls and tone that you are looking for

Balls AND Tone

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

crashdome posted:

That's the problem with anything plastic.

Best go wood. http://reedjamescustom.com/id10.html

Balls AND Tone

Naaaah this is the way to get balls into your playing:

(If by "balls" you mean spiky high frequency emphasis, sure)

btw that pedal is huge, about the size of 2 Boss pedals, with the stomp switch inside. Brilliant

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I dunno if I like this or hate this.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
the braided belt really sets off the ensemble

IronLawnmower
Aug 28, 2014

Allen Wren posted:

That goddamn rules.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Allen Wren posted:

lol are you serious thats loving terrible just everything in that picture is entirely terrible in every single way there is nothing redeeming about it

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Stux posted:

lol are you serious thats loving terrible just everything in that picture is entirely terrible in every single way there is nothing redeeming about it

He DOES have only 4 strings, so he dodged a bullet there.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

crashdome posted:

Balls AND Tone

My Vagina guitar has true vagina balls

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Stux posted:

I meant the bass, but, yeah, Jah Wobble apparently can't dress himself.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Allen Wren posted:

I meant the bass, but, yeah, Jah Wobble apparently can't dress himself.

ovation electrics are always super weird. like someone described what a guitar is over the phone to someone else and the other person made one.

that being said i don't really hate that one, its just goofy but in an endearing way. i like that bridge tho.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Allen Wren posted:

Saving grace for this guy is that at least it's a 4string

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Sockington posted:

He DOES have only 4 strings, so he dodged a bullet there.

Spanish Manlove posted:

:golfclap:

I bet it would be pretty comfortable sitting down though. The knee hump would certainly bring the neck in a little bit.

Aoi-chan
Jul 28, 2003

Allen Wren posted:

Jesus, even I could do a better job than that.

It's basically like the guy went for balls out neon glory and then was was like "poo poo, this thing has three pickup routes? Lemme head over to Best Buy."

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Sockington posted:

:golfclap:

I bet it would be pretty comfortable sitting down though. The knee hump would certainly bring the neck in a little bit.

Oh I didn't give a poo poo about the bass, I'm laughing at Rex Tannen, Attorney at Funk over here.

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

booshi posted:

"This headstock is ugly, and the only tool I have is a hacksaw. Hm...."

Chrpno posted:

Naaaah this is the way to get balls into your playing:

(If by "balls" you mean spiky high frequency emphasis, sure)

btw that pedal is huge, about the size of 2 Boss pedals, with the stomp switch inside. Brilliant
Looks cool, any audio clips?

Allen Wren posted:

I hate it, but were someone else playing it, then I might like it.
fake edit: lol is his name actually jah wobble? christ.

BTW Faustus, I had to redo the potting today as I redesigned the pickup I was working on for the bass (more on that later), used a tuna tin this time and more securely done masking tape, and had a much easier time keeping the thing filled with wax (only issue was the wax contracting as it cooled, but that's still a lot better than last time. Ended up redoing the other two pickups as well, seeing as the one I'm actually using was still microphonic (albeit less so than before). Haven't reinstalled them yet (the wax on the latter two seems to have absorbed some of the tape's adhesive or something so it's difficult to remove without damaging their fairly delicate finish more than I already have), so we'll see if it's made a difference. Thanks again for the pointers.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Nostalgic Pushead posted:

I hate it, but were someone else playing it, then I might like it.

Lol didn't see that. Just goes to show that the best joke is always the truth.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

BTW Faustus, I had to redo the potting today as I redesigned the pickup I was working on for the bass (more on that later), used a tuna tin this time and more securely done masking tape, and had a much easier time keeping the thing filled with wax (only issue was the wax contracting as it cooled, but that's still a lot better than last time. Ended up redoing the other two pickups as well, seeing as the one I'm actually using was still microphonic (albeit less so than before). Haven't reinstalled them yet (the wax on the latter two seems to have absorbed some of the tape's adhesive or something so it's difficult to remove without damaging their fairly delicate finish more than I already have), so we'll see if it's made a difference. Thanks again for the pointers.
Hey man, props for getting things done with what you have at hand. I wish I could just hand you a pound of Gulf Wax and a candy thermometer.
I really didn't do anything but parrot what was in that article, anyway.

Good luck!

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Spanish Manlove posted:

Also I mean that's loving Jah Wobble so he can dress however the gently caress he wants as far as I'm concerned

e:

Oh god I'm so oooooooooold

tacodaemon fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Dec 1, 2014

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Ok now I wanna hear some of the most fucktarded stage names, because I wonder if the dadrock area can surpass "count grishnak" or corpsegrinder

Fax Sender
Aug 11, 2013

kiss my ass
i think jah wobble's bass is cool and good but only if it is the kind of bass that comes very very cheap

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.

Dirt posted:

Compression is awesome for slide guitar.

Glass slide + humbucker guitar + compression + fender amp on the verge of breakup = you can sound just like Derek Trucks.

Compressors just seem to be a way to limit guitar sound. Kind of drop it back in the mix. If I was gonna play some Genesis or something my rig is too growly and open sounding so I'd have to use another amp or just limit the sound.

Spanish Manlove posted:

Ok now I wanna hear some of the most fucktarded stage names, because I wonder if the dadrock area can surpass "count grishnak" or corpsegrinder

I know at least Some of you remember Guy MannDude

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
It reminds me of the Guild S-200 that Muddy Waters played.

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE
Wobble's lines are so massive he can wear whatever Salvation Army poo poo he finds in dumpsters
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmoVIKDlZS8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70ZO1vK24G8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

ZombieParts posted:

Compressors just seem to be a way to limit guitar sound. Kind of drop it back in the mix. If I was gonna play some Genesis or something my rig is too growly and open sounding so I'd have to use another amp or just limit the sound.

I know at least Some of you remember Guy MannDude

compressors just "squash" the sound to different extents. they either reduce the gain of louder sounds in order to smooth out the overall volume, or raise the gain of quieter sounds for the same effect. the former is the most common type. it depends on the particular settings of the unit you are using, but the standard setup is a threshold control, which sets the threshold in dB at which the compressor kicks in, followed by a ratio which determines how much the gain is reduced by once the amplitude is over the threshold. usually ratio will go from 1:1 (i.e., nothing) to infinite:1 (which is in reality just a very high ratio such as 60:1). so what happens then is say you have the ratio set to 5:1, if the signal is 5db louder than the threshold, it will be reduced to only 1db over. if its 10db louder it will be reduced to 2db over threshold and so on. at the "infinite" ratio setting, signal will not be allowed to go over the threshold level (aka it is acting as a limiter at this point). you then will also usually get an attack and release setting which works the same as in ADSR controls on synths and similar, so here attack generally means the time it takes from a signal going over the threshold to reduce by a certain amount (differs from device to device). generally its by enough that for most uses its until the signal is reduced to full compression, but in some cases that won't be true. an attack of 0ms will make it kick in straight away but will mean you lose transients so can soften or deaden pick attack, or on drums etc the initial punch of the drum hit. release is the opposite, how long after the signal stops overrunning the threshold until the gain is restored by the same amount. these need to be set carefully and based on the material, a long release can be problematic for example if what you are playing goes from loud to soft quickly, the start of the soft part will still be under some amount of gain reduction and will lose its punch and may sound like its swelling slightly.

so yeah, they can be used to simply limit, but are a lot more flexible than that. only went on a big explanation as it seems a lot of musicians without a production/whatever background don't quite understand the details of compression and it can be a very useful tool once you know what it does and what you can use it for. doesn't help that a lot of compressor pedals either lack many options (usually attack and release are hard set, sometimes even ratio is) or don't label them properly

• Locked thread