Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Hate to double-post, but it's been 4 days so whatevs. I'm wondering, are there any rules for detecting gunfire, etc, anywhere in the books? I know the Silencer says it gives a -30 and halves the range where it can be picked up, but I cannot find those ranges, etc anywhere and I suspect they might be off with the Tau Starting Wounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I think the actual values only appeared in the Dark Heresy 2 core book, before it was kinda up to the GM. And even the ones in DH 2 are a bit retarded.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Shame, guess I'll have to write my own. Ah well.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
DH2 pegs a lasgun crack being audible up to 500 meters, autogun fire to 1 km and a bolter detonation to 2 km. A silenced autopistol is 50 meters.

I assume this is in the absence of other noise. A silenced autopistol is not be terribly quiet, but it might be difficult to pick up in the loud environment of a busy hive.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

What's most important for me is not so much picking up the noise as being able to identify its location. I'm doing something about resistance fighters and trying to leave open defeating enemy forces in detail by attacking individual squads/patrols without alerting a whole platoon or getting zeroed in instantly.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Perception rolls modified by distance and possibly stuff like large buildings in the way, followed by the forces converging on the rough position of the noise?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Yeah, think that's what I'll go with. As well as modifiers for stuff like loud machinery, other combat, etc.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Elukka posted:

DH2 pegs a lasgun crack being audible up to 500 meters, autogun fire to 1 km and a bolter detonation to 2 km. A silenced autopistol is 50 meters.

I assume this is in the absence of other noise. A silenced autopistol is not be terribly quiet, but it might be difficult to pick up in the loud environment of a busy hive.

Wait, does this mean a non-silenced autopistol is only audible up to 100 meters away? drat.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

scalded schlong posted:

Wait, does this mean a non-silenced autopistol is only audible up to 100 meters away? drat.

Firearm noise ranges, much like firearm ranges themselves, have been subject to extreme shrinkage over the last 40,000 years.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

GW are hilariously ignorant about guns. I'd say either sperg out and make all your own rules or just assume future silencers are advanced enough to work like in movies.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
The ranges seem fairly reasonable to me. 100 meters is the base range for a rifle, which makes 200 meters 'long' range, and it's possible to hit your target all the way to 400 meters. Four times the listed range is the actual maximum.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

All the weapon ranges and such are gamified as it is. Relative to movement, they're all enormous compared to how they worked in WHFRP, which the whole system is based on. Worse, because movement is done in 1m increments, it's really hard to produce a grid map that has enough room for weapons to hit their long ranges, let alone extremes.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Yeah. They're fairly realistic as-is, but ideally they'd be shorter than that. Use the realistic ranges for narrative purposes and have a lower grid unit number for detailed combat.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Actually, if they were realistic, they'd have fairly short ranges before suffering penalties and then enormous long ranges. The thing is, a game where your rifle can potentially hit people at 1000-2000m but everyone moves about 18-36m a turn just doesn't work well.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
You won't be able to pinpoint a source on a las weapon. What you'll hear is basically a thunderclap as air rushes back in to fill the volume evacuated by the passage of the laser beam. You can tell, mostly, where a shot is fired in a general sense.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Las weapons are easier to trace by sight though, since flash suppressors wouldn't work great on a weapon that's all light. And it's in the visible spectrum, for whatever reason.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Pharmaskittle posted:

Las weapons are easier to trace by sight though, since flash suppressors wouldn't work great on a weapon that's all light. And it's in the visible spectrum, for whatever reason.

Because we need to have flashy laser battles, goddamnit.

Sour Blossom
Apr 21, 2005
L O L 6 6

VanSandman posted:

What you'll hear is basically a thunderclap as air rushes back in to fill the volume evacuated by the passage of the laser beam.

Uh, what? That's not how lasers work. You'd hear a loud crack from the capacitor discharge at the lasgun end akin to someone dropping a book on the floor, and you'd hear either armor spalling or flesh vaporizing in a steam explosion at the target site. If you're ionizing enough atmosphere with photons to make a visible beam you're massively wasting energy that could be better used with a spectrum that won't be absorbed by nitrogen and oxygen, let alone making such a big plasma trail that there's any significant sound.

This does not apply to Laser Destroyers, Turbo-Lasers and above because there would actually be enough energy bleed, particularly in the case of a Volcano Cannon. A lascannon might qualify but probably the ionization would still be minimal compared to the capacitor crack and the sound of that carnifex's chest cavity turning to a cloud of steam, smoke, and a lot of gibs, even though you're going to hear it three seconds later at 'safe' engagement ranges.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Sour Blossom posted:

Uh, what? That's not how lasers work. You'd hear a loud crack from the capacitor discharge at the lasgun end akin to someone dropping a book on the floor, and you'd hear either armor spalling or flesh vaporizing in a steam explosion at the target site. If you're ionizing enough atmosphere with photons to make a visible beam you're massively wasting energy that could be better used with a spectrum that won't be absorbed by nitrogen and oxygen, let alone making such a big plasma trail that there's any significant sound.

This does not apply to Laser Destroyers, Turbo-Lasers and above because there would actually be enough energy bleed, particularly in the case of a Volcano Cannon. A lascannon might qualify but probably the ionization would still be minimal compared to the capacitor crack and the sound of that carnifex's chest cavity turning to a cloud of steam, smoke, and a lot of gibs, even though you're going to hear it three seconds later at 'safe' engagement ranges.

All valid points, but visible laser beams make for neater and more dramatic-looking battles, so visible laser beams are the order of the day for lasweapons in 40k.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

This is the setting with CHAINSAW SWORDS. Lasers are visible because it's cool, no other reason.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Sour Blossom posted:

40k las weapons have been commonly identified as being more like a lightning gun than a laser.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

kingcom posted:

40k las weapons have been commonly identified as being more like a lightning gun than a laser.

On the other hand, your game your rules. If you want to play a game of Dark Heresy where lasers work "realistically," go nuts. No one here is going to stop you.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
It's worth noting that they do have in setting ways of "stealthing" las weapons since sniper lasers are described as using them and in the RPG at least you can slap silencers on las weapons without any problems.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Cythereal posted:

On the other hand, your game your rules. If you want to play a game of Dark Heresy where lasers work "realistically," go nuts. No one here is going to stop you.

I've always loved the in universe reason of 'the only people who know the ins and out of this stuff are heretics and extremely high up magos so essentially if you want a silenced las you need to pray real hard and maybe it happens.'

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

kingcom posted:

I've always loved the in universe reason of 'the only people who know the ins and out of this stuff are heretics and extremely high up magos so essentially if you want a silenced las you need to pray real hard and maybe it happens.'

Alternatively, my go-to answer to one of my players asking that would be "Lasguns manufactured on worlds A, B, and C all have visible laser beams. Lasguns manufactured on worlds D, E, and F do not. Lasguns manufactured on G shoot discrete bolts rather than beams. They all weigh about the same, have about the same dimensions, use the same ammunition, and have about the same performance, so they're all lasguns as far as the Imperium is concerned."

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Alternatively, my go-to answer to one of my players asking that would be "Lasguns manufactured on worlds A, B, and C all have visible laser beams. Lasguns manufactured on worlds D, E, and F do not. Lasguns manufactured on G shoot discrete bolts rather than beams. They all weigh about the same, have about the same dimensions, use the same ammunition, and have about the same performance, so they're all lasguns as far as the Imperium is concerned."

Yeah thats a good one too. Standard issue imperial weapons being from all over the universe gives you a lot of possibilities.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Lasgun shots are visible because the Omnissiah wants the glory of his work to be plain for all to see

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Now I have a mental image of a Tech-priest driven to madness by the very thought of coherent light lasguns.
A decade later an unknown heretek leads a black crusade against every forge world in the sector.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

Now I have a mental image of a Tech-priest driven to madness by the very thought of coherent light lasguns.
A decade later an unknown heretek leads a black crusade against every forge world in the sector.

This is un-ironically how hereteks come to be. They start trying to figure this stuff out and actually understand the technology and it drives them to heresy.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

kingcom posted:

This is un-ironically how hereteks come to be. They start trying to figure this stuff out and actually understand the technology and it drives them to heresy.

Innovation is literally tech heresy

Sour Blossom
Apr 21, 2005
L O L 6 6
I can accept fantastic things because I have no frame of reference in reality to judge. Portraying something real with fake characteristics is either lazy writing or it's bad writing. Whether or not las weapons have visible beams or not has nothing to do with what I said - it's the invention of characteristics or misapplication of others'. By their post, VanSandman doesn't seem to know a lasgun from a lightning bolt, and I was sperging about that.

I take space-elfgames too seriously.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
You don't know how the laws of physics will change in the next 38,000 years, so just accept it.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Holy poo poo I didn't know we had handheld dark age of technology hunting and sporting laser weaponry used as military hardware in real life! That's awesome!

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
uh they are pretty clearly lasguns, not laser-guns.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
How do you pronounce "lasgun" anyway?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

That's entirely true, for all the common guardsman know any gun which produce a beam of light is a 'lasgun'.
Some of them can well be some kind of particle driver with the beam added as a tracer.

^^^^Lhaz-gun.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Lazz gun. Imagine how you say the first syllable in laser or lazy. Not that.

Raspberry. Lasberry. Say it that way.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Lightning without and with a laser beam guide. An electron beam would look similar. :science:

Although this would not so much blow off limbs but cause immediate necrotic wounds. And also irradiate the shooter to a lesser extent. Pretty grimdark really.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Elukka posted:

Lightning without and with a laser beam guide. An electron beam would look similar. :science:

Although this would not so much blow off limbs but cause immediate necrotic wounds. And also irradiate the shooter to a lesser extent. Pretty grimdark really.

They're called irrad-cleansers in 30k. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Cythereal posted:

Which reminds me - what changes have you done to the 40k universe for your games? I've personally allowed female Space Marines (not like you'd be able to differentiate what the hell that posthuman monster in front of you is to begin with) and introduced some races from stuff like Endless Legend as really minor xenos species.