Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

tef posted:

but frankly as deals with capitalism go it's pretty good if you have the option :toot:

as capitalism goes, it is an insane, screaming deal

working in software is one of the lowest-stress jobs known to man. it's highly paid, it's relatively high-prestige, and it's pretty hard to get fired

even by the already-comfortable standards of IT jobs, writing software for a living is extremely cushy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

tef posted:

i have become much nicer to beginners when i realise how terrible the tools we expect them to use are

are you kidding me?? I had to BUY a compiler. With actual MONEY. And look up things in PRINTED MANUALS.

the tools for beginners are astoundingly good. it's the rate of change and the constant reinvention and the layers upon layers of indirection that we expect them to deal with that earns them my pity.

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

rotor posted:

are you kidding me?? I had to BUY a compiler. With actual MONEY. And look up things in PRINTED MANUALS.

the tools for beginners are astoundingly good. it's the rate of change and the constant reinvention and the layers upon layers of indirection that we expect them to deal with that earns them my pity.

given that I was able to go from "what's an array?" to a working web app in a month or so speaks a lot more about the quality of information available than my "giftedness".

my previous programming experience was from when I was 12 and decompiling PCBoard extensions to read the source and trying to learn from that. there weren't even books for that, at least not available to me.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

average wages for software developers hover between 3x and 4x the median wage in america. nobody doing IT work in 2014 is hurting for money because they're underpaid.

gosh i hope you're not in charge of metrics or localization

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
just use ocaml

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

rotor posted:

yep

ps in ruby: let's all get to know bundler, gem, rbenv, brew, and ruby-build, and maybe git first just to run hello world and deploy it :toot:

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

as capitalism goes, it is an insane, screaming deal

working in software is one of the lowest-stress jobs known to man. it's highly paid, it's relatively high-prestige, and it's pretty hard to get fired

even by the already-comfortable standards of IT jobs, writing software for a living is extremely cushy

are you paul graham because gosh your everyone elses life must be exactly like mine approach is spot on

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

tef posted:

yep

ps in ruby: let's all get to know bundler, gem, rbenv, brew, and ruby-build, and maybe git first just to run hello world and deploy it :toot:

aw ur just bein grumpy. half that stuff has always been and will always be needed, and the other half is, well, I don't know what the other half of it is, but it's probably bad.

counterpoint:

open the javascript console of the browser that came with your computer. there, you now have the tools needed to learn programming.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

in javascript :pranke:

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

tef posted:

but hey if you're a guy, white enough, no or little social skills, and parents with enough money to get you a computer and pay your internet bills, you can self teach your way to a series of exploitative jobs with low salaries, or join in the gold rush in sf for far better money, but the company makes far higher margins on your work :toot:

so how was selling your soul to heroku then?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
subarashii!!!

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

average wages for software developers hover between 3x and 4x the median wage in america. nobody doing IT work in 2014 is hurting for money because they're underpaid.
You can zoom out of the US and see why that statement doesn't always hold, or at least doesn't always hold with the same margin. It remains a generally well-paying job in many areas, and with good conditions still, but it's likely very easy to find other countries or smaller regions where VC money's not powering up so many startups and you suddenly find yourself having to pick between cubicle farms for roughly the median income, going for a small business with salaries rarely reaching $20/h, or moving (and uprooting your family) altogether.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

It sounds cool to live in an area where software is high-prestige :allears:. Here's it's still the nerd poo poo from before.

Different sectors of the industry also vary a shitload. Videogame programmers strike me as the kind of folks that live with a high-stress factor, with poo poo schedules, and it's a part of the industry I never ever want to venture into.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

MononcQc posted:

Videogame programmers strike me as the kind of folks that live with a high-stress factor, with poo poo schedules, and it's a part of the industry I never ever want to venture into.

same

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

notorious bsd when you're called out for being a bitter small minded individual in like every thread you make more than few posts in do you think its just yospos being mean and poo poo posty or do you think that reflects upon yourself as a person

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.

MononcQc posted:

cubicle farms for roughly the median income,

this was my first programming job in canada as a fresh grad and i made 2.5x median individual income. when i left that job i took one making more than 3x median

canada is not exactly a hub for this work, but i'm making so much easy money that i have almost no incentive to move to a 'hot' region like sf

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

more like dICK posted:

this was my first programming job in canada as a fresh grad and i made 2.5x median individual income. when i left that job i took one making more than 3x median

canada is not exactly a hub for this work, but i'm making so much easy money that i have almost no incentive to move to a 'hot' region like sf

never move to SF

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.

Captain Foo posted:

never move to SF

this was exactly what i thought after spending a week there earlier this year

e: also the rest of America

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

america owns fyi

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

more like dICK posted:

this was exactly what i thought after spending a week there earlier this year

e: also the rest of America

actually, america is good. San Fran sucks a lot tho

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

more like dICK posted:

Yeah I live in a small and remote region here and the top salary for a senior dev is below or around $50k/year. Your usual junior programmer job kind of deal will be in a small enterprise slinging ASP or PHP for $15-$18 an hour or so with no benefits or security.

Moving away is definitely an option for most people at that point. The best way to hire people in the region is to advertise outside of it and wait for some nostalgic person who left to come back at a shittier wage than they had because they (often erroneously) expected the cost of life to be low enough to afford it and then they'll be strapped down for a while before affording to leave again.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
sorry, but anyone who doesn't think software is a good gig has never had to work for a living.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Stringent posted:

sorry, but anyone who doesn't think software is a good gig has never had to work for a living.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Yeah I don't think I'd ever move to SF. Right now I'm pretty okay siphoning the SF money and bringing it to this here hovel of a city.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

MononcQc posted:

Yeah I live in a small and remote region here and the top salary for a senior dev is below or around $50k/year. Your usual junior programmer job kind of deal will be in a small enterprise slinging ASP or PHP for $15-$18 an hour or so with no benefits or security.

TDeficit told me on IRC that Vancouver generally pays poorly and that is unfortunate.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

FamDav posted:

so how was selling your soul to heroku then?

pretty drat good :toot:

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Stringent posted:

i got payed overtime when i worked in a real job

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

rotor posted:

aw ur just bein grumpy. half that stuff has always been and will always be needed, and the other half is, well, I don't know what the other half of it is, but it's probably bad.

counterpoint:

open the javascript console of the browser that came with your computer. there, you now have the tools needed to learn programming.

tbh if i am teaching basic computer stuff, i'll use scratch first to get the habits down and then bring them over to a more general purpose language if their projects need it

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

tef posted:

i got payed overtime when i worked in a real job

thats your fault for working for free outside of 8 to 5

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Stringent posted:

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

Captain Foo posted:

actually, america is good. San Fran sucks a lot tho

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

tef posted:

tbh if i am teaching basic computer stuff, i'll use scratch first to get the habits down and then bring them over to a more general purpose language if their projects need it

make sure you teach them that p-langs are bad and that in the real world they should use java or c#

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Shaggar posted:

make sure you teach them that p-langs are bad and that in the real world they should use java or c#

if they're going into a career of business logic middleware, sure, but we're talking hobby projects here

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Visual Studio is free now, c# is the best choice for everything, or should they have to gently caress around with useless command lines and terrible tools?

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

Bloody posted:

useless command lines and terrible tools?

lol

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx
using vim without any plugins makes you the retard guy from all those "if only there was a better way" infomercials

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Series DD Funding posted:

using vim makes you the retard

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Series DD Funding posted:

using vim without any plugins makes you the retard guy from all those "if only there was a better way" infomercials

sup

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

tef posted:

sure

I guess what I'm saying is the learning curve has basically inverted over the past ... what, say 25 years or so.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Bloody posted:

Visual Studio is free now, c# is the best choice for everything, or should they have to gently caress around with useless command lines and terrible tools?

honestly I would be so loving happy to see c# replace java

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
c#..java..whats the difference

• Locked thread