Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

AxeManiac posted:

I'm trying to figure this out with my Chromecast, and I can't find many options for streaming content on my PC to the TV, using my phone as a remote. I can stream content from the PC to the TV, but I would need my keyboard and mouse to select the files. Can the Chromecast just work with PLEX or PlayOn to do this? I'd buy the software, but it just doesn't seem clear on which one would be easier to use. Both don't allow a trial or free mode to use the phone to pc stuff.

The best option would allow control of the Chromecast from iOS and Android apps so my wife and I can both use it from our phones. I didn't realize how much of the phone was used with a chromecast, I was hoping it would be a little HTPC you plugged into your computer and could do stuff with, but it seems limited to what your phone can do.

Plex is ideal for this. You have to have the server going on a PC, but you use the phone as a remote and the Chromecast picks it up. I love it, and haven't turned on my HTPC since I got the Chromecast.

Spend the $5, or wait, it's free on Amazon every once in a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Medullah posted:

Plex is ideal for this. You have to have the server going on a PC, but you use the phone as a remote and the Chromecast picks it up. I love it, and haven't turned on my HTPC since I got the Chromecast.

iOS app is a free app though it crashes a lot and can be frustratingly slow at finding the chronecasts sometimes. To the point where I'm just going to get a nexus player for the remote.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Hughlander posted:

iOS app is a free app though it crashes a lot and can be frustratingly slow at finding the chronecasts sometimes. To the point where I'm just going to get a nexus player for the remote.

The Plex app? It's not free...$5 just like Android.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/plex/id383457673?mt=8

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Medullah posted:

So I don't need to buy that subscription from Plex? I have the app on my phone, but it says I need a PlexPass to login.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
There is plex and plex for plexpass. Some thing require plexpass and some dont. My samsung tv for example does not. My android TV does.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Gotcha, I picked up the Plex App for 1.99 off the playstore and it worked perfectly! Thanks! I'll check out the itunes version so we can use the tablet and iphone with it as well.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
I am always confused by why people think having to have a server which transcodes + a phone which controls + a dongle which sits on your TV is a "great" solution.

If you already have a NAS (with no transcoding abilities), any XBMC enabled device can read right off it without having to transcode off it.

A FireTV/Stick, Nexus Player or the current gen of Android TV boxes will do this flawlessly. All this plexin' and transcoding' and chromecastin', no need for it.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Many households have a plethora of devices now and people like to share libraries with friends/family which is easily done thanks to Plex. I personally prefer XBMC but I still run Plex on my NAS for others.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

The Gunslinger posted:

Many households have a plethora of devices now and people like to share libraries with friends/family which is easily done thanks to Plex. I personally prefer XBMC but I still run Plex on my NAS for others.

Axe was talking about getting his pc videos to the TV. Plex is great for the things you said but way unnecessary for that.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Gozinbulx posted:

I am always confused by why people think having to have a server which transcodes + a phone which controls + a dongle which sits on your TV is a "great" solution.

If you already have a NAS (with no transcoding abilities), any XBMC enabled device can read right off it without having to transcode off it.

A FireTV/Stick, Nexus Player or the current gen of Android TV boxes will do this flawlessly. All this plexin' and transcoding' and chromecastin', no need for it.

I too am often confused by things, but I take comfort in the fact that videos now play on my TV and I can use my phone to do it.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Medullah posted:

The Plex app? It's not free...$5 just like Android.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/plex/id383457673?mt=8

Weird. Must have gotten it on a free sale or I have no memory anymore

Vinz Clortho
Jul 19, 2004

Gozinbulx posted:

It's far easier to manage library metadata through the Plex web UI than in XBMC if you're hooked up to a TV. I direct play from a NAS to an HTPC for basically this reason. And it opens up possibilities in terms of remote streaming and management, and using multiple devices.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Chemondelay posted:

It's far easier to manage library metadata through the Plex web UI than in XBMC if you're hooked up to a TV. I direct play from a NAS to an HTPC for basically this reason. And it opens up possibilities in terms of remote streaming and management, and using multiple devices.

When do you find yourself managing library metadata?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Gozinbulx posted:

All this plexin' and transcoding' and chromecastin', no need for it.

Have you ever used a Chromecast with Plex?

Vinz Clortho
Jul 19, 2004

Thermopyle posted:

When do you find yourself managing library metadata?

All the time. I rename and reorganise stuff, change art, etc as I add things to the library.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Chemondelay posted:

All the time. I rename and reorganise stuff, change art, etc as I add things to the library.

Interesting. I didn't realize people micromanaged their stuff like this. I haven't changed what the automatic scrapers in XBMC have picked up in months and my guess is that my volume of new-stuff-added is near the high end of the spectrum.

Maybe XBMC has better scrapers? I run Plex Media Server, but I don't pay close attention to its scraping results as it's just so I can stream to mobile occasionally.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I change the art on almost every movie I add to XBMC, but that's easy to do through the UI. I like to use movie poster images while the scrapers tend to pull up DVD covers.

I also have changed the title/sort title often, mainly so I can group things like I like them (eg, Batman movies ordered by release date), but now that's all set up and don't do it much when adding new things.

The biggest work has been creating custom xml nfo files for custom TV shows I have created (random things off of YouTube), but that's all keyboard work and I do that on my main PC.

I'm kind of particular about metadata, but not nearly as much as I am with mp3 tags. I don't usually mess with actors or plot summaries or the like.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Nov 22, 2014

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Uthor posted:

The biggest work has been creating custom xml files for custom TV shows I have created (random things off of YouTube), but that's all keyboard work and I do that on my main PC.

Hey, go explain this in the XBMC thread! There's several regularly occurring shows on YouTube that would be nice to integrate as "TV Shows".

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

Hey, go explain this in the XBMC thread! There's several regularly occurring shows on YouTube that would be nice to integrate as "TV Shows".

Yeah, sure, I don't have anything to do right now. FYI, it might be easier to add the show to the scraper. Eg, Bee and Puppycat is in there and the scraper finds it fine. The ones I've added are actually just clips from longer shows, which the scraper frowns upon splitting off on their own.

EDIT: Oops, I meant nfo files, not XML!

Uthor fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Nov 22, 2014

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

Thermopyle posted:

Interesting. I didn't realize people micromanaged their stuff like this. I haven't changed what the automatic scrapers in XBMC have picked up in months and my guess is that my volume of new-stuff-added is near the high end of the spectrum.
Sometimes you don't have much of a choice if you're into stuff that happens to get screwed up by the scrapers including just by sheer luck. There's two movies called The Sentinel in my collection, so you need to specify the year for the scraper to get it correctly and sometimes that's picked up wrong. It gets even more awkward when you have different copies of the conflicting media. Other examples include Conan (the Conan TV show as well as the Conan O'Brien show), Archer (the 70s TV series vs. the series on FX now). Some movies occasionally have different titles picked up depending upon region and a naive scraper will not figure that out (Dead Alive is also known as Braindead, and half the horror movies from Italy and Germany between 1950-1990 have multiple titles) and cause some confusion probably unless you know these bits of knowledge. It gets really maddening if half your collection is from indie stuff that doesn't even appear on IMDB beyond "the title exists" and so you need to write out .nfo files manually. Anathema isn't exactly an obscure band anymore but their Blu-Ray I got a copy of screwed up for me without a lot of tweaking to direct in Plex and it was worse with XBMC. Not everyone likes to view their media as a bunch of directory listings or are happy with what the scrapers drag back and it becomes even more imperative to better organize it when you're up to 1000+ movies and proportionally as many for TV shows.

The big difference between a packrat / hoarder and a collector is that collectors care about actually organizing their stuff neatly.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

Here:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3531650&pagenumber=62#post438003336

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

necrobobsledder posted:

Sometimes you don't have much of a choice if you're into stuff that happens to get screwed up by the scrapers including just by sheer luck. There's two movies called The Sentinel in my collection, so you need to specify the year for the scraper to get it correctly and sometimes that's picked up wrong. It gets even more awkward when you have different copies of the conflicting media. Other examples include Conan (the Conan TV show as well as the Conan O'Brien show), Archer (the 70s TV series vs. the series on FX now). Some movies occasionally have different titles picked up depending upon region and a naive scraper will not figure that out (Dead Alive is also known as Braindead, and half the horror movies from Italy and Germany between 1950-1990 have multiple titles) and cause some confusion probably unless you know these bits of knowledge. It gets really maddening if half your collection is from indie stuff that doesn't even appear on IMDB beyond "the title exists" and so you need to write out .nfo files manually. Anathema isn't exactly an obscure band anymore but their Blu-Ray I got a copy of screwed up for me without a lot of tweaking to direct in Plex and it was worse with XBMC. Not everyone likes to view their media as a bunch of directory listings or are happy with what the scrapers drag back and it becomes even more imperative to better organize it when you're up to 1000+ movies and proportionally as many for TV shows.

The big difference between a packrat / hoarder and a collector is that collectors care about actually organizing their stuff neatly.

I'd put myself in the collector category.

I've actually fixed many of these examples myself. I think there's a big difference between doing what you're saying here and editing metadata "all the time". I mean, you have to fix a TV show once, and the vast majority of movies scrape correctly. I mean, if you're into some genre that has consistent problems like these horror movies you mention, I can imagine it being a problem, but even then I have a hard time imagining there being enough of these movies available where you're constantly adding them to your library so that you have to edit the metadata all the time.

However, now that I think about it, I'm sure there's some subset of people interested in some subset of media that is trickled out in such a manner that you've got to edit it all the time rather than all in one fell swoop...

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Chemondelay posted:

I do the same but I just remote into my old HTPC from my laptop to mess around with my main XBMC library. And I have upnp set up so I can easily access everything on multiple devices on my home network. No transcoding needed.

necrobobsledder posted:

It gets really maddening if half your collection is from indie stuff that doesn't even appear on IMDB beyond "the title exists" and so you need to write out .nfo files manually.

You should look into adding info to a place like TheMovieDB (or type equivalent) instead of messing around with .nfo files. It's a pain in the rear end but once it's done, you're helping out everybody who find themselves in a similar predicament.

Vinz Clortho
Jul 19, 2004

Yeah, I just find it easier and more pleasant to do it on Plex. For example, I like that you can edit the database through the web UI, rather than having to mess around with NFO files. There are a few shows that have incorrect episode ordering even on the DVDs so there's no easy way to scrape from TVDB, e.g. Andy Richter Controls the Universe, and I like being able to fix them directly in Chrome. It's still fiddly though; I don't know why there isn't some way to manually correct the scrape on a per-episode basis.

I used XBMC for library management for a long time, and still use PleXBMC now. It's way more flexible and fully featured, I just don't use any of that stuff.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

Call Me Charlie posted:

You should look into adding info to a place like TheMovieDB (or type equivalent) instead of messing around with .nfo files. It's a pain in the rear end but once it's done, you're helping out everybody who find themselves in a similar predicament.
A number of the works are indie films that might as well as count as home movies.That sort of media collection is just not going to work for TMDB, IMDB, TheTVDB, etc. For example, how would you tag different regional WWII recruiting ads? What about communist propaganda videos from North Korea? Putting this on Youtube is just a garbage heap of crud that typically results in really confusing provenance of the data as well as completely terrible misinformation (Youtube comments are bad as we all know). Stuff like this is what's in the vaults of the major media conglomerates, not on the public Internet.

Thermopyle posted:

I've actually fixed many of these examples myself. I think there's a big difference between doing what you're saying here and editing metadata "all the time". I mean, you have to fix a TV show once, and the vast majority of movies scrape correctly. I mean, if you're into some genre that has consistent problems like these horror movies you mention, I can imagine it being a problem, but even then I have a hard time imagining there being enough of these movies available where you're constantly adding them to your library so that you have to edit the metadata all the time.

However, now that I think about it, I'm sure there's some subset of people interested in some subset of media that is trickled out in such a manner that you've got to edit it all the time rather than all in one fell swoop...
A guy I know has basically a professional museum collection's worth (in 2009 I counted through his files that he had about 12 TB across about 14 hard drives and several 100-DVD stacks of burns) of really hosed up videos like old snuff movies from the 60s, extremely obscure bigoted / racist stuff that's only possible to find out of Hollywood vaults or something if you know the main cataloger / historian, and out of print stuff that is completely insufficiently served by the metadata systems present with TheMovieDB. He had VHS tapes even from when people sent him stuff and was trying to digitize those. He completely gave up trying to catalog it just from sheer volume. I'm nowhere near that bad, but he's like one in several million - I'm more like one in half a million in comparison for the media metadata and provenance I'd have to write.

I contribute in some ways including contributing missing metadata but it's me v. the world of people that don't give a drat about digitization or oppose me basically. It's just that I've got enough things to do in my life that I'd rather not be a part-time curator of obscure media that is only relevant to weirdos and massive arthouse type hipsters that tick me off as much as I tick them off. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only person with obscure demos in their iTunes library that would like a bit better metadata tags on them. Hell, I don't even know how to take LP-only releases and give them track "numbers" like A1, B2 correctly. Discogs is somewhat ok with music but I don't know of anything close to its breadth and depth for random videos where Youtube completely fails to get info right.

The Valuum
Apr 11, 2004
So before I posted about building a HTPC. I'm actually now just getting a macbook pro + some sort of box. These are the features I need:

-Be fast enough to play/stream x264 1080p
-Either have upgradable harddrives or usb3 for external harddrives
-Run windows so I can use torrents

I basically just want to be able to download a torrent file on my laptop, send it to the box, have it do it's magic and be able to play it. Or for it to stream content I already have on my laptop.

I've been out of the computer game for a while, I'm just wondering if these little $200 boxes can handle x264 or whatever codec they use now a days at 1080p. This probably sounds stupid to you guys but I was gone for 2 years. Thank you ahead of time.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
Currently I have a Roku for Netflix and Plex, but I'd like to throw some game streaming into the mix, whether it's Limelight or Steam Streaming.

What would be the best solution to roll all of these uses into one? I assume I would have to replace the Roku with an HTPC, but I'm unsure if I should go Linux/Windows (I know Netflix is always tricky on Linux), and what front end would integrate all three of those things well.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

beepsandboops posted:

Currently I have a Roku for Netflix and Plex, but I'd like to throw some game streaming into the mix, whether it's Limelight or Steam Streaming.

What would be the best solution to roll all of these uses into one? I assume I would have to replace the Roku with an HTPC, but I'm unsure if I should go Linux/Windows (I know Netflix is always tricky on Linux), and what front end would integrate all three of those things well.

An Intel NUC or a ZBOX Pico would be the easiest solution imo. Swap between Steam Big Picture Mode, Plex Home Theater, and the Windows Netflix app. Zbox Pico comes with the benefit of having Windows 8.1 already installed. If you need a remote, add a FLIRC and any IR remote :).

[edit] Here's Linus Tech Tip review of of the Pico:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=het4Lk1xHIQ

Does mention that the little box does drop frames while using Steam in-home streaming (not sure how that effects the overall gaming experience), so maybe the NUC would be a better option? Though it does come at an obvious higher premium.

teagone fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Nov 24, 2014

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

The Valuum posted:

-Run windows so I can use torrents

Not sure why you'd need Windows for that.

The Valuum
Apr 11, 2004

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Not sure why you'd need Windows for that.

Ah, I meant like not a amazon fire/roku. Something with an OS that can run torrents. Any suggestions?

I'm getting a Mac Book Pro soon and I see the HD is only like 500gb, which is kinda ridiculous. Should I just get a Nuc? Or is there a better option? I'd really like something pre-built where I can upgrade the HDs. If not what are some decent specs to get so I can stream x264 1080p?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Anything modern you buy no matter how lovely will playback 1080p h264

The Valuum
Apr 11, 2004

Don Lapre posted:

Anything modern you buy no matter how lovely will playback 1080p h264

Ah, ok thank you! Any suggestions on a barebones with one or more 3.5 size hard drive slots? I'd like to make it my torrentbox/htpc. I see a lot of them only have 2.5 size and the 1TBs for them are really expensive.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

The Valuum posted:

Ah, ok thank you! Any suggestions on a barebones with one or more 3.5 size hard drive slots? I'd like to make it my torrentbox/htpc. I see a lot of them only have 2.5 size and the 1TBs for them are really expensive.

A 1tb 2.5" is only about $70

The Valuum
Apr 11, 2004

Don Lapre posted:

A 1tb 2.5" is only about $70

Ah, I was looking under the desktop 2.5 HD section of Newegg. Why the hell are they so expensive? I assume you mean the laptop ones right? Like this one for example?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA54G24N1000

So couple that with some RAM and Windows and I should be good to go?

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

The Valuum posted:

Ah, I was looking under the desktop 2.5 HD section of Newegg. Why the hell are they so expensive? I assume you mean the laptop ones right? Like this one for example?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA54G24N1000

So couple that with some RAM and Windows and I should be good to go?

You linked a 2 TB drive which is more expensive than most 3.5" 2 TB drives but not much

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

The Valuum posted:

Ah, I was looking under the desktop 2.5 HD section of Newegg. Why the hell are they so expensive?

Looks like they're mostly SAS or server-grade SATA.

superbelch
Dec 9, 2003
Making baby jesus cry since 1984.
The ASUS VivoPC VM40B just dropped to $199 at Amazon: http://smile.amazon.com/Asus-VivoPC-VM40B-02-ASUS-Desktop/dp/B00KU54KPQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1417201407&sr=8-1&keywords=vm40

(On a side note, you should sign up for a non-profit to support through Amazon Smile if you buy things from Amazon - Amazon will give 0.5% of your purchase price to the non-profit of your choice - I'll plug Music Maker Relief Foundation as a great choice)

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

People with Android TV devices and Harmony hub. Add a windows pc to harmony hub and have it pair over bluetooth with your android tv. You can now use your harmony setup without an IR receiver on your androidtv.

This also works of course, with an actual HTPC and a bluetooth adapter.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

teagone posted:

An Intel NUC or a ZBOX Pico would be the easiest solution imo. Swap between Steam Big Picture Mode, Plex Home Theater, and the Windows Netflix app. Zbox Pico comes with the benefit of having Windows 8.1 already installed. If you need a remote, add a FLIRC and any IR remote :).

[edit] Here's Linus Tech Tip review of of the Pico:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=het4Lk1xHIQ

Does mention that the little box does drop frames while using Steam in-home streaming (not sure how that effects the overall gaming experience), so maybe the NUC would be a better option? Though it does come at an obvious higher premium.

Supposedly the Minix Neo 64 (same specs as the pico) is coming eventually at $130 instead of $200. http://liliputing.com/2014/09/minix-neo-z64-is-a-pint-sized-129-pc-with-android-or-windows.html At that price difference it might be worth putting up with the slow hardware versus something like the ASUS vivobox mentioned a few posts above. The vivobox seems to be about as fast as an old mobile core2duo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
Can the Zotac AD10/12 do simultaneous dual video output via HDMI and display port?

Another question, this time regarding Plex and buying a new mobo and CPU.

I'm looking to make the switch from XBMC to Plex and need to upgrade my ancient mobo/CPU to something a little more modern that can handle transcoding. At most it would be doing two MAYBE three 1080p streams at once, but three is the worst case scenario. Typically just one at a time. My only requirements are that the CPU be relatively low power if possible since my server is on 24/7. If the motherboard has 10 SATA ports that would be great. Thank you for any recommendations. While I'm comfortable building my own computer and installing all the parts myself I'm clueless when it comes to what parts to buy.

wolfbiker fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Dec 1, 2014