Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
It seems like almost every Quirk has a drawback of some kind if overused:

(a) One for All (All Might and Izuku) causes tremendous strain to the body, to the point of fracturing the user's bones unless he has undergone supreme physical conditioning.

(b) Zero Gravity (Uraraka) causes nausea.

(c) Eraserhead (Aizawa) causes dry eyes.

(d) Stick Grapes (Mineta) causes bleeding of the head if too many grapes are pulled out within a period of time.

(e) Static Buildup (Denki) causes the user to short-circuit his own brain and become a peerless lunkhead for one hour.

(f) Navel Laser (Aoyama) causes the stomach to collapse if the laser is fired for more than one second at a time.

(g) Creation (Momo) destroys the user's clothes if the object created is particularly large.

I wonder what the drawbacks for the other Quirks are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Seems like Fire and Ice needs to keep his fire side on ice to make sure it doesn't inadvertently burn everything around him. That's gotta suck.

Also Momo's drawback doesn't seem like much of a drawback, given that she can just create more clothes to wear. Wonder how long they last, though.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Momo's isn't really a weakness, her shirt only got destroyed 'cause she projected the tarp right off her back, and even then she just needs a couple secs to make a new one (she said as much, even).
And she didn't seem to particularly mind her state, so there's that too.

If anything her real weakness is that it it takes her more time to make bigger (and denser, probably) stuff.

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011
I think that Eraserhead just happened to be unlucky enough to have a quirk that stops working when he blinks and also have dry-eye.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Let's see. Iida is fueled by orange juice, Bakugou relies on his sweating... Tsuyu's power doesn't seem to have any inherent drawbacks that we can see, but she's also obviously a frog person and stuff. I don't think weaknesses are explicitly a part of the powers so much (like "you can do this, but there's this") so much as just facts about how the powers work or conditions for their use. One For All is ridiculously strong, so if you can't endure it it will break you, the explosion and engine powers require their fuel or catalyst, etc. Sometimes it's only a "weakness" the same way running really fast will tire you out eventually.

Though I think Aizawa's power doesn't cause dry eye, he just has it, hence someone commenting that the power's kind of wasted on him in the chapter it was revealed.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
It also seems that everyone's names is related to or a pun on their Quirks, so we may be able to guess the Quirks of the remaining students based on their names:

KNOWN QUIRKS

Yaoyorozu Momo (Vice-President)

Kanji - 八百万百
Translation - Eight Hundred (八百) / One Million (万百)
Figurative meaning - Versatility / Endless possibilities
Quirk - Creation: Ability to create any inorganic object, so long as she understands the object's atomic configuration.

Asui Tsuyu (Frog Girl)

Kanji - 蛙吹梅雨
Translation - Frog (蛙) / Rain (雨)
Quirk - Frog form

Uraraka Ochako (Gravity Girl)

Kanji - 麗日お茶子
Translation - Her name comes from ウラビティ (uravity), グラビティ (gravity) without the "g", making Ura (麗, urara), bi (日, that can also be read as ka), tea (茶, read as cha).
Quirk - Zero Gravity

Mineta Minoru (Grapeboy)

Kanji - 峰田実
Translation - Fertile fields (峰田) Berry (実)
Quirk - Sticky Grapes

Bakugou Katsuki (rear end in a top hat)

Kanji - 爆豪勝己
Translation - Explosion (爆) / Pride (豪) / Victory (勝己)
Quirk - Explosion

Todoroki Shouto (Icyhot)

Kanji - 轟焦凍
Translation - Roar (轟) / Burned (焦) / Frozen (凍)
Quirk - Fire and Ice

IIda Tenya (Emergency Exit)

Kanji - 飯田天哉
Translation - His name comes from 韋駄天 (read as Idaten) meaning "great runner".
Quirk - Engine

Kaminari Denki (Lightning Boy)

Kanji - 上鳴電気
Translation - Thunder (上鳴) / Lightning (電気)
Quirk - Static Buildup

Kirishima Eijirou (Akumetsu Boy)

Kanji - 切島鋭児郎
Translation - Cut (切) / Sharp (鋭)
Quirk - Hardening

Jirou Kyouka (Earphone Girl)

Kanji - 耳郎響香
Translation - Ear (耳) / Resonance (響)
Quirk - Earring Jacks

Aoyama Yuuga (Navelgun Boy)

Kanji - 青山優雅
Translation - 優雅 (Elegance)
Quirk - Navel Laser

Hagakure Tooru (Invisible Girl)

Kanji - 葉隠透
Translation - Hidden (隠) / See-through (透)
Quirk - Invisibility

Shouji Mezou (Tentacle Replicant Boy)

Kanji - 障子目蔵
Translation - His name comes from "壁に耳あり障子に目あり" "walls have ears, doors have eyes".
Quirk - Replicant Tentacles

UNKNOWN QUIRKS

Ashido Mina (Ant Girl)

Kanji - 芦戸三奈
Translation - Reed (芦)
Other possible word-play - Ashido sounds like "acid"
Quirk - Ant-form, including formic acid?

Tokoyami Fumikage (Bird Boy)

Kanji - 常闇踏陰
Translation - 闇 (Darkness) / 陰 (Shade)
Quirk - Flight and stealth / creation of darkness and shadows?

Satou Rikidou (Thick Lips)

Kanji - 砂藤力道
Translation - 藤 (Vine) / 力道 (Force )
Quirk - Enhanced strength?

Sero Hanta (Nondescript Boy)

Kanji - 瀬呂繁太
Translation - His name is a pun on "セロハンテープ" (serohantēpu) meaning "cellophane tape".
Quirk - Sticking things to other things?

Kouda Kouji (Rock Boy)

Kanji - 口田甲司
Translation - Mouth (口)
Quirk - Swallowing things?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

JosephWongKS posted:

It also seems that everyone's names is related to or a pun on their Quirks, so we may be able to guess the Quirks of the remaining students based on their names:

Hm, any hint as to which Shigaraki is, then? I tried looking up the word but I got some town known for its pottery. (I actually eventually managed to look up which of the three it is, but I'm wondering if the name happens to be a clue.)

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
The tape dude has been shown pulling out actual tape from himself in a couple panels.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
I just like when people take the time to explain the Kanji for Japanese names, still think it's neat that you can write names and words in different ways for different meanings

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

JosephWongKS posted:

Sero Hanta (Nondescript Boy)

Kanji - 瀬呂繁太
Translation - His name is a pun on "セロハンテープ" (serohantēpu) meaning "cellophane tape".
Quirk - Sticking things to other things?

Oh jeez, I just realized something, and looked back to confirm it was him: This kid, he's the one with the futuristic-looking armor with the crazy jaw thing, right? Black and orange color scheme, upper-right corner here?

His helmet's a freaking tape dispenser. Also he seems to be shooting tape out of his arm, which is weird and kind of gross, but hey.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
So his power is knock-off web shooters then? Ultimate Spiderman style, "it is melted tape" web shooters, except with actual tape.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

FH_Meta posted:

I think that Eraserhead just happened to be unlucky enough to have a quirk that stops working when he blinks and also have dry-eye.

Pretty sure he just has dry eyes because he's constantly going as long as he can without blinking. Not that it's actually caused by his power.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Dr_Amazing posted:

Pretty sure he just has dry eyes because he's constantly going as long as he can without blinking. Not that it's actually caused by his power.

You'd think the science nerds could work out some eyewear that would moisten his eyes for him and let him go without blinking.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I didn't really get what Mr Hands was saying about his hair getting in his eyes. He seemed to be saying he had to blink sooner each time, but what's that have to do with his hair?

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Dr_Amazing posted:

I didn't really get what Mr Hands was saying about his hair getting in his eyes. He seemed to be saying he had to blink sooner each time, but what's that have to do with his hair?

Hair getting in his eyes cuts off line of sight, which means for that instant his power blocking ability fails.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Why would the gap between the times his hair falls in his eyes be getting shorter though?

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

GodFish posted:

Why would the gap between the times his hair falls in his eyes be getting shorter though?

His hair gel is losing its stiffness as the fight goes on. That's my explanation, and I'm sticking to it.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
It's probably the translation.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
His hair seems pretty loose and all over the place. He probably needs to keep it swept back by continuously moving. His hair gets in his eyes whenever he stops moving, because that's how it likes to rest.

So Hands McGee is just watching for when his line of sight's broken and using that moment to hit him with his quirk.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think that's happening when he's blinking, for whatever reason, since he otherwise wouldn't deliberately break his line of sight. Hands is taking note of signs that Aizawa's tiring out and blinking more often, hence his subsequent monologue.

Or the translation. The point is that's when Eraserhead is stopping his quirk and a sign he's tiring.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Dec 2, 2014

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Actually if you look to the previous chapters, Aizawa's hair has this habit of magically sweeping back when he's using his power, then returns to normal when he's back to lazy sensei mode. It's pretty much his tell.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Mr. Hands would be a really, really unfortunate name for that villain.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Mr. Hands would be a really, really unfortunate name for that villain.

Very minor spoiler (actual name) I found out while trying to find more art of the characters and stuff: Apparently Hands is the Mr. Shigaraki the mooks were talking about a chapter ago, which is what I was thinking since the void thing didn't seem the type to give orders. Has a first name as well but that can wait until it's actually revealed.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Dec 2, 2014

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Kyte posted:

Actually if you look to the previous chapters, Aizawa's hair has this habit of magically sweeping back when he's using his power, then returns to normal when he's back to lazy sensei mode. It's pretty much his tell.

Wow nice catch. Even back at the throwing challenge he's doing it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

This comic seems like it runs into the "guns would be an effective countermeasure against most heroes" problem. Not many characters seem to have powers that would let them either avoid bullets or be invulnerable against them. Not that it really bothers me much; I'm just using the fact that they're in Japan as an excuse.

Ottumon
Dec 20, 2012
They could probably get some bulletproof suits handwaved away by comic book logic/someone's quirk, like the creator girl's. Or have a spider man working in the heroes' suit factory.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Yeah, I assumed bulletproofing came as standard for the kids' custom costumes.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Chapter 17

Does Noumu negate all physical attacks maybe? That would sure be a hard counter to All Might.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Dec 6, 2014

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I loving shouted NO NO NO for like three pages when Hands was about to grab Tsuyu

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Waffleman_ posted:

I loving shouted NO NO NO for like three pages when Hands was about to grab Tsuyu

Me too. Eraserhead is such a cool guy~

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Goddamn that last page looks amazing.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Kyte posted:

Goddamn that last page looks amazing.

It reminds me of this page from Assassination Classroom. Somebody's gonna get hosed up.

Seconding the fear for Tsuyu. I figure she won't be taken out this early, but she could have been hurt badly and like many others in the thread I've become very fond of her. Dr. Sunshine compared her to Violet before, and I'd already been unconsciously imagining her with that voice, so that's all added up to make her great in my book.

But not as great as All Might. I know it has to happen eventually, but I don't want All Might to get taken out yet. :ohdear:

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Alright, that's all three villains named. Shigaraki Tomura, Black Mist, and Noumu. Black Mist's politeness disappeared when he was chasing Iida, on a tangent; kind of disappointing, since I was enjoying him being the ultra-polite void man.

Also, wow, All Might is pissed. Angry face in hero-mode; even when Bakugou was about to kill Deku he had that smile of his. This will be interesting.

Edit: I wouldn't call breaking Eraserhead's arm to pieces "practically nothing", Deku. Like, I know it's not quite their stated goals of killing All Might or the students, but show some respect for you teacher. Even Shiragaki admits that he's cool, he doesn't need your sass.

But yeah, it's interesting, they seem so worried about "normal" pros showing up when their goal is All Might himself. Shiragaki's planning to leave when he hears Iida got out, but when All Might shows up without cavalry behind him it shifts to "well then, let's do this", leading me to believe that, whatever they have planned, it's not a thing that can stand up to a mass assault. They definitely have something up their sleeve tailored to taking out All Might specifically, and All Might's growing weakness is not going to help matters there. Noumu's definitely the primary component, though Black Mist might be a factor too; Black Mist's trickery would probably be a challenge to deal with, and Noumu seems to be resistant to All For One's strength. Other than possibly jumping in for a killing blow I don't see Shiragaki himself stepping into this, though, since his quirk seems to be 100% offense so far and against All Might that will probably just get you killed before you can act.

Edit again: Jeez, there's a lot of good stuff in this chapter, really. Bakugou being calm and thoughtful, however briefly, is awesome too. And then there's Uraraka and tape guy, of all people, managing to be pretty badass and flinging Black Mist around as Iida gets the hell out of there. Tape boy in particular is pretty impressive; Uraraka runs off without saying anything, and yet he's able to follow up her actions (including catching exactly how she did what she did, regarding Black Mist's physical body) immediately. Chimera-octopus dude from the last chapter was able to stop him briefly as well; some of the side characters in this are no joke, silly as their powers may seem at first.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Dec 6, 2014

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

So are we thinking that Brain Shark Man (Noumu?)'s power is some sort of power absorption/cancelling on touch thing?

I don't buy that Deku actually managed to hold himself back.

e: Right, yeah, read RatHat's post, me.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Yeah Brain Guy's power seems to not be related to his physical form, which is pretty terrifying in its own right.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I think what he was saying was that the dude's quirk does more than just mutate him; it gives him power on TOP of his mutant muscles/body. Eraserhead cancelled his superpowers out and his body was so powerful he could still wring him out like a sponge.

Man Dancer
Apr 22, 2008
It looked like Shigaraki Tomura physically hurt himself when he heard about Ida's escape. Is the villain actually the hands themselves, controlling some poor sucker's body that it beats up in frustration?

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Fabricated posted:

I think what he was saying was that the dude's quirk does more than just mutate him; it gives him power on TOP of his mutant muscles/body. Eraserhead cancelled his superpowers out and his body was so powerful he could still wring him out like a sponge.

He was called an 'artificial human', so it's possible he's immensely strong due to bioengineering by someone who has a quirk that lets them develop technology or change people like that. Mad scientists are traditional supervillains and this is a story drawing on those archetypes.

Then on top of that he has whatever power let him cancel out Midoriya's attack, be it a contact version of Eraserhead's or some kind of kinetic negation ability. Either would make sense for someone who can blindside and crush All Might but could be bested by people with other powers.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Obviously brainsharkman is an artificial human in that he's had his body made up entirely of jointless toes. :pseudo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

I'm still not sure what the full scope of Hand Guy's powers are. At first glance it appears to be the ability to crush whatever he gets his hands on but what's the meaning of the other hands in that case.