Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sramaker
Oct 31, 2012

by Cowcaster
I like and it's not nostalgia since i played it not long ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

Namingway posted:

You've completely sold me on this game, Ein.

Actually, I already own it, and the strategy guide. I enjoyed SaGa Frontier, and I really wanted to like this game, so I sunk hours into it, tried to learn every art, pored over the strategy guide, printed out relevant sections of FAQs, but I lost to the final boss and gave up in bitter frustration. I should probably mention that I didn't really have FUN with the game while I was doing this, I just wanted to win.

The problem is that I never understood this game. I didn't understand how the battle system really worked, and I didn't understand what they were trying to do with the plot. I felt like I had nothing to look forward to when I played this game. Trying to learn the moves over and over again without understanding the odds of sparking relative to the difficulty of the enemy made the game tedious and soul draining. The best weapons were locked up in that incomprehensible chip exchange system, and Wil's plot was hard to follow when you spent hours each dungeon trying and failing to spark arts. That and the time jumps, of course.

Frankly, when you posted in the SaGa Frontier thread defending this game, (That WAS you, wasn't it? Too lazy to check) I assumed your defense was based largely on nostalgia, and dismissed your arguments about the uniqueness of the narrative style. (Edit: Oops! I took the time to check and that wasn't you! That poster did seem a bit more standoffish than your usual style.)

Now I'm looking forward to playing this game again, and I'll be using your LP as a guide toward success and actually enjoying myself.

That said, since I have seen pretty much all of this game, what FAQs or guides should I read or follow? Again, I have the strategy guide, which means that I'm armed with pretty maps and almost no other useful information (as I recall).

I'm always happy to hear people are enjoying the LP! Especially when it changes their minds on the game itself.

Really, you don't need guides. Have you ever played a Kirby game? They are games I also love dearly! (There's a Triple Deluxe LP going on right now! It's great. Great game.) SaGa Frontier 2 is kind of like a Kirby game, in that you can master it, but for most of the game it's all good no matter what you do. Just run along the stages, use the powers you pick up as you go, and take in the sights. Add "triangle quicksave any time you feel vaguely threatened" to that list and you're gonna be just fine.

Sometimes you want to play Dustforce, but sometimes you just want to chill out and maybe eat some people to steal their firebreathing. SF2 is a good game for that. (SaGa Frontier 2 even does the whole Kirby "endgame cosmic horror" thing! ...except the cosmic horror is the difficulty curve.)

If you're interested in poking the innards for fun, Zach Keene has a dump of various game information (spoilers in game data, obviously) here. The most useful one is the battle waza table (what sparks what and how well), but it's only really needed if you want to pick up the really high-end stuff. (Which you probably won't use anyway if you're being optimal, it usually doesn't combo well.)

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

I was gonna link Keene's stuff, too. The info on arcanelore is pretty much the most in-depth info I can find on the game without knowing Japanese; I know there's Japanese fanpages that go into way more depth, but gently caress if I can read 'em.

I might've been the standoffish one in the SGF thread because I'm a huge apologist for this game and the SaGa series in general.

bar88537
Nov 8, 2004

Great LP so far Einander. I'm liking the regular updates. One suggestion I have from playing through is to help remind us what the relationship of places are. Nothing major, but something like, This is city that exiled Gustave. It's probably my own fault for not paying attention but I really got lost on who came from which side and which kingdoms were together, especially once I got into later generations when I didn't recognize the key figures anymore.

Namingway
Jul 8, 2009

Einander posted:

Sometimes you want to play Dustforce, but sometimes you just want to chill out and maybe eat some people to steal their firebreathing. SF2 is a good game for that. (SaGa Frontier 2 even does the whole Kirby "endgame cosmic horror" thing! ...except the cosmic horror is the difficulty curve.)

Yeah, but... that cosmic horror ended my run. I don't want to just go though a 40+ hour Kirby game as you put it, and then be horribly stuck on the final boss. Again. Well, that and I enjoy breaking a game in half OFS style. I guess what you're saying is that's the wrong mindset to tackle this game with? I should just enjoy the ride yet prepare well for the sudden stop at the end?

KataraniSword posted:

I might've been the standoffish one in the SGF thread because I'm a huge apologist for this game and the SaGa series in general.

Nah, it wasn't you. I've been around for a while, and I'd remember if it was you because I've read a lot of your posts. I do a lot of lurking, but I almost never post.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
You sold me on the game, too, Einander. I saw how pretty it looks and how pretty it sounds so I bought it on PSN and blitzed through in a few days. I probably would have gotten miserably destroyed by the last boss if dis astranagant hadn't given me the combos for the overpowered hybrid arts in the RPG thread, but otherwise it wasn't so bad. Everything else was way too easy, though.

I kind of like the idea of a game that doesn't really give a poo poo if you don't understand it and just moves along, leaving you to try to piece things together.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Heavy neutrino posted:

I kind of like the idea of a game that doesn't really give a poo poo if you don't understand it and just moves along, leaving you to try to piece things together.

Let me tell you about a game called Unlimited Saga...

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.

Heavy neutrino posted:

You sold me on the game, too, Einander. I saw how pretty it looks and how pretty it sounds so I bought it on PSN and blitzed through in a few days. I probably would have gotten miserably destroyed by the last boss if dis astranagant hadn't given me the combos for the overpowered hybrid arts in the RPG thread, but otherwise it wasn't so bad. Everything else was way too easy, though.

Let me tell you about Dark Souls...

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

inthesto posted:

Let me tell you about a game called Unlimited Saga...

Remember how I said I'm a huge apologist for the SaGa series?

Not Unlimited. gently caress Unlimited Saga. :argh:

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

KataraniSword posted:

Remember how I said I'm a huge apologist for the SaGa series?

Not Unlimited. gently caress Unlimited Saga. :argh:

*Spins*

Sorry, you botched your hatred for the game.

Also, you got booted from the thread.

Also, you've lost one of your good skill tiles in the last battle. Congratulations on your "win"

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

I really wanna see someone LP that, both to heckle and so I can finally see what the hell actually happens. I've never been good enough to reach any major story points.

I think the current Lunar: Dragon Song LP is a great reference point on how Unlimited SaGa should be treated.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Raitzeno posted:

I really wanna see someone LP that, both to heckle and so I can finally see what the hell actually happens. I've never been good enough to reach any major story points.

I think the current Lunar: Dragon Song LP is a great reference point on how Unlimited SaGa should be treated.

Someone on Youtube took the time to actually explain how everything in Unlimited works, and still nobody understands a drat thing about it. That's how obtuse its mechanics are. There's a certain level of opaqueness that is indistinguishable from "complete randomness" and Unlimited Saga passed it about ten miles back.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

KataraniSword posted:

Someone on Youtube took the time to actually explain how everything in Unlimited works, and still nobody understands a drat thing about it. That's how obtuse its mechanics are. There's a certain level of opaqueness that is indistinguishable from "complete randomness" and Unlimited Saga passed it about ten miles back.

I watched that youtube tutorial recently and decided to give the game another shot. Turns out it's still just a bad game.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Raitzeno posted:

I've been tempted to do it several times, but unfortunately I'm just no good at the game. Really, it deserves some treatment due to its amazing soundtrack, its impressionist aesthetic, and its vignette storytelling, but the game really is just obtuse beyond most people's comprehension.

I mean, there's a guide that's half a megabyte of pure text dedicated to simply understanding how the game works. I'm not going to call it bad because I adore it even more than I do this game, but it's in its own class as far as impenetrable games go.

Sramaker
Oct 31, 2012

by Cowcaster
Unlimited Saga is more annoying than Spec Ops: The Line and that game try to insult the player for playing it.

Sramaker
Oct 31, 2012

by Cowcaster
E: Quote is not edit.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
This game's sprite art is well beyond beautiful, and that's saying something in a game with such awesome backgrounds and a soundtrack that belongs more in a ballroom than a video game. All of the sprite art is great, but the nobles actually look like nobles, and the commoners look more nondescript. It doesn't sound like much, but that it's notable at all as opposed to various SNES and early PSOne sprite games says a lot.

Super Space Jam 64
Jan 6, 2010

Yet another violation of regulation 1910 subpart D.
I never could understand much of SF2 but I'm fairly confident that it had the slickest battle visuals of any PS1 game, only challenged by FFT. It's cool to see there was quite a bit more to the game than what I saw of it.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

Next update Tuesday instead of Monday, there's a bit more work to do before it's done and I'm too tired to do it today. Alternative version on Wednesday.

That said, I was planning to release the update after those on Friday anyway, so it's not actually affecting the schedule past then, it just means everything's going to be a bit closer together.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Everyone posted:

Unlimited Saga stuff

Someone in another thread described Saga games as "charming, but deeply flawed". I think this sums up Unlimited Saga better than any other game in the series.

The guy who did the video tutorials for Unlimited Saga has a VLP of the game here. I've watched through 4 scenarios (of 7) and it's a very good LP. He's pretty good about explaining the game as he goes along, and once he assumes you're familiar with stuff he starts editing to save time -- for example at he completely edit outs random battles past a certain point unless they're particularly interesting.

He also knows the game well enough that he starts challenge runs for scenarios to keep it interesting. For example, the Ventus run is a solo run.

Everything about the game is absolutely beautiful, except the game itself. The characters are interesting and charming, the stories are great, the music is fantastic, and everything is incredibly polished. Even the voice acting is very good, which is so rare for a game of this era. You can tell a lot of love went into the game. The problem is the game itself is just so obtuse, but the VLP takes care of that part.

Maybe even the gameplay itself wouldn't be so bad, if the game came with a 100 page Baldur's Gate style manual explaining the system instead of throwing you into the deep end.

Chuu fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Dec 1, 2014

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
I dunno, while I'm sure that knowing how the combo system works would help a TON (honestly after playing the game 5 hours or so I was basically convinced turn order was straight out random and thus combos were random and thus actually winning fights was random *cough*), the way leveling at the end of dungeons works still seems like a pretty serious mark against the game, unless there's some bizarre mechanic that lets you control what options will pop up.

CmdrKing fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Dec 1, 2014

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

CmdrKing posted:

I dunno, while I'm sure that knowing how the combo system works would help a TON (honestly after playing the game 5 hours or so I was basically convinced turn order was straight out random and thus combos were random and thus actually winning fights was random *cough*), the way leveling at the end of dungeons works still seems like a pretty serious mark against the game, unless there's some bizarre mechanic that lets you control what options will pop up.

What leveling at the end of dungeons? The only leveling happens after battle, unless you're talking about the rather minor changes from age.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

dis astranagant posted:

What leveling at the end of dungeons? The only leveling happens after battle, unless you're talking about the rather minor changes from age.

He's talking about the hexagonal grid in Unlimited Saga, which gets a new skill after every dungeon you complete. If I recall correctly, it's fairly random, but there are ways to tip the RNG in your favor.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

inthesto posted:

He's talking about the hexagonal grid in Unlimited Saga, which gets a new skill after every dungeon you complete. If I recall correctly, it's fairly random, but there are ways to tip the RNG in your favor.

IIRC, punching things with a character would give you a higher chance of getting Melee Tiles, weapon attacks give you weapon tiles and so on. It's very random, though.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

CmdrKing posted:

From what I gathered from the LP, with one big exception (Magic Blender), in the long run getting the correct stat bonuses (which is determined by the type and level of the panel, it's placement, and it's neighbors -- not the actual skill itself) was much more important than getting specific individual tiles. Considering the entire grid system is completely unexplained by the game, this is also completely opaque.

Chuu fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Dec 1, 2014

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...

Chuu posted:

From what I gathered from the LP, with one big exception (Magic Blender), in the long run getting the correct stat bonuses (which is determined by the type and level of the panel, it's placement, and it's neighbors -- not the actual skill itself) was much more important than getting specific individual tiles. Considering the entire grid system is completely unexplained by the game, this is also completely opaque.

So basically stats matter so much more than skills that even a downgraded skill title will be better in the long term because you still overall have bigger numbers. Huh.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

CmdrKing posted:

So basically stats matter so much more than skills that even a downgraded skill title will be better in the long term because you still overall have bigger numbers. Huh.

This is where my second hand knowledge runs out. From what I saw in the LP most of the diehard Unlimited Saga players out there are on the GameFAQs board. I can't in good conscience recommend anyone visit those forums.

About this LP though, this game is also strikingly beautiful, at least so far. I can't wait to see where this story is going.

Chuu fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Dec 2, 2014

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Chuu posted:

This is where my second hand knowledge runs out. From what I saw in the LP most of the diehard Unlimited Saga players out there are on the GameFAQs board. I can't in good conscience recommend anyone visit those forums.

About this LP though, this game is also strikingly beautiful, at least so far. I can't wait to see where this story is going.

It's too SaGa for people who don't know what they're getting into and not SaGa enough for the diehard SaGa fans. And anyone who played through without lots of help will be pretty loving furious after getting stonewalled by the final scenarios.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

dis astranagant posted:

It's too SaGa for people who don't know what they're getting into and not SaGa enough for the diehard SaGa fans. And anyone who played through without lots of help will be pretty loving furious after getting stonewalled by the final scenarios.

That's really the biggest problem. They tried to make a SaGa game that appealed to the mainstream JRPG fan by making it more like other JRPGs by making it more linear and storydriven, when the thing that really hurt the appeal was the fact that its battle systems are completely opaque, meaning you either hand to stumble blindly into pain or knew everything and were stifled by the lack of freedom that the narrative gave.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

Infiltrate! Alexei Gang (1238) [False]
Wil attempts to gain access to Alexei Sergein, however...
1238 Wil infiltrates Alexei's Gang
Wil infiltrates the gang of Alexei, possessor of the Egg.

(Dithyramb)

Alexei knows my face, so I can't join you. But I'm not letting you go by yourself.

You get control at this point. Talking to her again:

You're not going by yourself.

You can talk to your party members here and select one member to go. None of them have any dialogue here, it's just an immediate choice bewteen "come with me" or "never mind."

Out of the three, Tyler is the obvious choice, being the beefiest and having the best weapon. He also makes story sense, since Alexei doesn't know him, and picking Tyler here ties in pretty well later.

There's no difference in the main part of the scenario between Narcisse and Tyler that I can recall, so I choose him this go-round.

Understood.
Thank you!!
Then I will be waiting for you in Alexei's party.

Narcisse's lines are more interesting:

To join Alexei's gang... I despise being around that man, but I'll lend you a hand.
Thank you, Sir Narcisse!!
I, too, am becoming increasingly curious about this Egg. Well then, I'll be going ahead.

Afterward, if not picked, they all have one line.

Wil, be extremely careful around Alexei. He's clever, so he might already know about your existence.
Alexei's a rotten scoundrel. I suggest you be careful.
Be careful.

You can go shopping at Thermes at this point, but moving on means heading to Westia. Oddly enough, Thermes's theme keeps playing, even after you switch cities.

In Westia, basically every NPC outside the bar states their distaste of Alexei and his group. A pretty typical comment:

The informant also has something new to say.

Alexei used to be a coward who just bluffed his way around, but he changed once he found the Egg.

Walk into the bar to move on.

There's a sort of deep "vooorm" sound effect the moment you do, accompanied by this everything-else-black effect. It's pretty distinctive.

Tyler and Alexei both say "..." if spoken to, and you can't reach the woman in the right corner.

I would like to join your Quell digging expedition.

Then, simultaneously, the next three:

Hehehehe
Hehehehe
Hehehehe
My name is Wil.
Tell those sort of things to Alexei himself.
Hahahaha!
Hahahaha!
Hahahaha!

I kind of see that NPC's point.

Also, let's just get all of the Dr. Eggman jokes out of the way now, shall we? Because I can't see that hairstyle as anything other than a send-up when it's on the guy with the Egg.

I am...
I already heard that. Well let's see, I'll let you work as my errand boy.

Then you're gonna run my errands for me, huh!?

He turns back to Wil.

Okay, let's get ready to go!
Where are we going?
Follow us and you'll find out.

(Magical Realm)

There's a crackling fire sound effect here.

Wil takes a step backward.

You know!
Yeah. I knew you were Henry's kid the moment I saw you.

Wil takes a step forward again.

Alexei Sergein, you murdered my parents and stole the Egg!
Hey, hey, where'd you hear that? My brothers and I were the ones who found the Egg in the first place. My little brothers died for this. Henry was the one who took it from us.
My father would not have done that!

That's ridiculous. Why would mother kill father?
You don't remember? Didn't you see Catherine stab Henry?

Wil takes a very quick, very small step backward... Then another one, mid-sentence.

That's not true. That's not true... Not true...
Do you remember now? ...Conveniently forgetting the details. Well it doesn't matter to me anyways. Just remember this: stay out of my way from now on. Next time, I won't be so nice.

What did Alexei say to you, Wil?

Pause.

It's no use. You need some rest.

Do you remember back in Desert Megalith, where Wil recounts what he knows of Alexei, and after he starts recounting what happened when Alexei got to his house, Aunt Nina tells him "you don't have to remember"? Combine that with Wil's reaction here, and that suggests that Alexei's description of events here is actually broadly accurate. Both Nina and Alexei treat Wil as a witness, and the sensation of the Egg is familiar to him, so we can assume he was there (if very young). Now, the Egg could have illusion powers, but let's stick to what we know it can do (currently, "absorb Anima" and "make people go crazy").

It'll be a long time before we learn one more minor detail, and it lets us put things together: the Egg has absorbed and contains the Anima of Henry Knights but (probably) not Catherine Knights. If it was Alexei doing the absorbing, then it's likely he'd have gotten both of them. So the Egg did the absorbing on its own volition, which suggests Henry touched it on his own. Now, it's possible that Alexei somehow mind-controlled Catherine Knights using the Egg, but the "known powers" rule applies again.

So if Catherine stabbed Henry and the Egg contains Henry's Anima but not Catherine's, then the most likely situation is that Henry grabbed the Egg to keep Alexei from getting to it, the Egg stole his Anima and his mind, and Catherine's stabbing afterward was a mercy kill. Unfortunately, it seems Alexei killed her right after--a sneak attack, maybe? It's never really clear, but she might have been a badass and Alexei is well-established as a coward. (Fortunately, Alexei didn't read the Evil Overlord List, so he didn't kill the infant present before he could grow up to take bloody vengeance.)

So Alexei is only
mostly lying, in that he's ignoring the fact that all of that was his fault... Not that we expected anything less, right?

Anyway, gameplay. We're in a scenario that I have very mixed feelings about. On one hand, the City of Night is incredibly atmospheric, and the concept--track down a Quell through investigation of an ancient crumbling city and its people--is cool and different.

On the other hand, most of the scenario is spent fumbling around, lost, in a large city with poor urban planning, and it's sometimes difficult to tell when you're making headway. So it sort of loses its charm after the first time you do it, and as a result, hearing Zauberreich always sets my teeth on edge. It's one of my two "well, this is gonna suck" scenarios, the ones I never enjoy playing until they're over.

I've more-or-less got an idea of what I need to do, but that just means it'll take me twenty minutes of cluelessness instead of forty. And I need to do it multiple times for this LP. :sigh:

Since wandering around the city is the gameplay this time around, let's establish a map... Especially since this place is beautiful, in a slowly-rotting-ruin kind of way. It's no substitute for the experience, though, which you should find equal parts disappointing and relieving.

You start gameplay on this screen, a few screens away from the fire where you started. Up the stairs to the left...

...contains a set of stairs (bottom left, first screenshot) that are probably the main entrance to the city. (Though it's hard to tell, when you can't leave that way.) Up the improvised ramp.

This is the only rampart you see, but presumably there are more. This city was a fortress, once.

Inside the shack are these statues. You can interact with the left and the right to switch their lights to red, but the center flickers between them all on its own.

This dims the lights. There are three points in town where you can find Tools on the floor, and they radiate a kind of circular pulsing glow when it's darker. This one's just to the lower-left of that plank down there.

I turn the lights back on and backtrack a few screens.

The first of the three treasures is here, on the starting screen. The Sacred Spear is the best one you'll have for a while, though its durability here is usually only in the 10-20 range. (I got pretty lucky on this one.) The other treasures are much less impressive.

Up the upper-right set of stairs this time.

Alexei's back at the fire; he'll stay here for the rest of the scenario, and you need to check in with him periodically. Off to the lower right exit.

You can enter the building here.

If you wondered what Chips look like, here's your answer. This is a Tool processing mill.

We'll explore the upper-right campfire exit in a bit. For now, we go back to the starting screen and go to the upper-left instead.

Off to the right here is the third treasure.

Told you the others weren't much. They have pretty low durability, too--this one had 2 out of 10.

The cat walks up the stairs, then vanishes.

By the way, do you have anything interesting with you?

Wow, I'm so jealous. I'm no fighter, so it's really hard for me to find something like that. I have a Cat's Eye here I can trade you for...

Sure.

Hehe, it's kind of poetic to trade an eye for a tear.

The Cat's Eye has Quell-like stats, giving you +10 SP/+1 SPR versus the usual +3 SP/+0 SPR of a basic Anima tool. It's worse defensively than a Beast Amulet, and Gaze immunity is basically useless, but I pick it up anyway; the Mushroom Tear has no real use, and, if nothing else, it Chips for a lot.

The other trade isn't possible yet; we haven't so much as seen the Mines that are being referenced.

This is the house to the right of the would-be-apprentice. He seems to be the Tool craftsman the kid is talking about.

We're below the improvised ramp just to the lower-left of the starting screen now. The tavern is the left door here. That cat is up there, for some reason. Let's go talk to it.

Yep. Pretty sure there's no actual point to this.

Anyway, back where we were. This time, the upper-right exit on the tavern screen.

Just looking at this makes me shudder. Tyler is a brave, brave man.

(You gotta run if you want to get in the house, that NPC will walk into the gap in the railing otherwise)

This cabinet has a Rock Axe in it. Unlike the one at Hahn, this one can spawn with fairly high durability--it goes anywhere from about 20-40, but I swear I've seen ~60 ones spawn here before.

I get one with 34 and switch my Stone Axe, going from 7 to 15 attack power. Like I said earlier, if you use Tyler like he's the only Axe user in the game, then he can use the good stuff basically all the time, and there'll be guaranteed Rock and Dew Axes to keep him supplied.

Down the trap door is this little room.

That's pretty fair.

This connects back to the bonfire via the exit I didn't take before.

Into the tavern.

The fire in the back is nicely animated.

Below the rampart. This is that treasure we saw earlier, when the lights were out.

This is below the entrance to the old lady's house.

And we're on the other side of the short wall just below the Tool mill. You can't cross that little wall, so if you want to get here, you need to circle all the way around. This is especially silly, what with the wall being tiny and having a gap in it.

With our place established, let's get to adventuring. I'm not going to explain where everything is relative to everything else every time or this update will go over the word limit on posts.

> About the old man with the Quell

About Quells, huh? There was an old man like that. The name was Kisk. I hear he used to frequent the tavern a lot.

> About you

Me? I sell information. Information is money. Information is so important that it can be a deciding factor of whether you live or die tomorrow.

(Field of Battle)

Tyler lays him flat with one Megahit, steals his petty cash, and the guy disappears from the map. The Crowns are useless, though--Tyler's counter is separate from Wil's, and there's no shops here to spend it.

I don't know where he is. Even if I knew, I'm not obligated to tell you.

Come to think of it, I haven't seen him around lately.

Don't know. He hasn't come by lately. Maybe he left town.
Yeah, maybe. When was the last time we saw him?
I wonder when...

Hey, when was the last time the old man came by?

Go outside, take the east stairs to the bottom, Kisk's house is to your left. It's where that informer has been hanging out lately.
I'll do that.

I'm pretty sure.
Tsk... Who do they think they are?
Nah, don't worry. They'll have no choice but to give up when they see his house.

As the head of this group, I can't just let you off so easily. I'm sorry to have to say this, but you're going to have to come along with us.

Pause.

Before we get started, are you friends with Kisk or something?

> Nod

Really! If you know Kisk, you're one of us! If you ever have any problems, let these guys know. They'll help you out. Right, guys?

Then they walk off. If you instead...

> Shake your head

I see.. I thought maybe, but I guess I was wrong. Let's get started.

Same fight as earlier, ends just as quickly, same general level of rewards.

Hmph, you're pretty good. The rule around here is that the strong make the rules. Do what you like. These guys will help you out. Later.

The "don't get to keep the Crowns" thing makes this fight mostly pointless, so I just said I was Kisk's friend. Let's at least try to do this job properly.

(It makes no actual difference, though; he really doesn't care either way, and he doesn't affect what the people here think of you)

Tyler knocks several times, pauses, then starts knocking again.

Time to go talk to Alexei.

I don't know.
That's not what I want to hear! Go find it!
Uhmmm...
What is it?

You can talk to him twice, and he has two things to say about each, but you only get to ask once each time. Thankfully, it seems to be based on when you talk to him, not whether or not you talked about the same thing last time, so it's easy to see both lines of dialogue.

Anyway, let's at least pretend to maintain our cover.

> Inquire about the Egg

Just by holding this, it feels like your Anima is enhanced. But you have to be careful. If you can't control it properly, you can get your arm blown off, just like my younger brother.

> Inquire about Wil

The boy? Some fool who thinks I was responsible for his parents' death. I told him that his mother was the one who stabbed his father. After that, he got all shook up and took off somewhere.

The informant has the same first line, but the choices have changed.

> About the Talisman Quell

Many wanted the old man's Quell. If it wasn't buried with him, someone must have it. The most likely people would be his relatives. His home is empty now, and there's no further information on him.

> About the people here

Well, they're not really close-knit. They're kind of cold to outsiders. Depending on what your intentions are, it might be a better idea to just deceive them.

Way ahead of you there, buddy.

I just don't understand him...

Are you the digger who's a friend of Kisk?

> Nod

Really! Oh good! I sent out letters to all his acquaintances, but I haven't heard from any of them yet. I was worried the letters didn't make it. But I'm glad I waited. That child Kyle has become quite a little ruffian since he lost his only relative, Kisk, but he is a gentle and smart child on the inside. That's why I want him to learn from people like you, who have travelled the world. I want him to be like Kisk: a man with a vision. Oh my, I've already written about all that in the letter, haven't I? Oh, about Kyle...He should be returning soon. If it isn't too much trouble, it would be nice of you to meet him on the way here. I'm sure he'd be ecstatic if you did.

No, not yet.
You idiot! Hurry up and find him!
Uhmmm...
What is it this time?

> Inquire about the Egg

I feel stronger with the Egg. I feel as though I could do anything.

> Inquire about Wil

Henry had a strong Anima. His wife was beautiful. He always looked down on me. On top of that, he tried to take the Egg away. But I took it right back.

The informant's dialogue has changed again.

> About the old man's grandson

It must be his only kin, Kyle. I only know his name. I think the kids will know more of the details.

> About the people here

They actually believe you're a friend of the old man.

Yeah... It's like how everyone must lie to protect Kyle and the talisman. You probably also have to lie to fulfill something that needs to be done.

Pause.

It's just going to collect dust as long as it sits here. Just take that talisman with you.

No, it doesn't ever appear in your inventory, and no, the scenario isn't over yet--you can't just hand it to Alexei. I guess the plan is to trick Alexei into thinking you can't find it and then pocket it yourself?

Lots of muddling around to try to find the next trigger at this point. Other people tell you that "the kids play hide and seek" and "the water reservoir underground is full of monsters," but I don't think either of those serve as triggers.

The search will take you a long time, because it's a background detail, not a person.

Kyle always goes to the scary place from there. It's where the water comes from. They say there are monsters there. But it's impossible for a grown-up to get through.

It jumps from the first place to the second, then walks off north. You have to circle around through the tavern, despite the tiny wall and obvious gap.

(yes I pointed this out earlier but this is why it's so dumb)

The dog is pointing you here. You walk through...

...and somehow get up here. :confused:

But this hole isn't one you climb down. It's a hole you fall through. I fell in it once before, and couldn't get back out this way. I can't guarantee you'll be able to get back out, but you can get in through here. So how about it? You going in?

Alright...I see you've got your own problems, but don't forget to look after Kyle. That's all I have to say.

I never actually realized that this is the leader of the thugs (the guy you meet behind the bar) until I was preparing sprites for this update. Huh.

Don't worry.

There are Dino Leeches you Duel down here, but they're not threatening.

The Quell's right here. You've got no business with the kid, right?
Of course.
Go!

Kyle springs past Alexei here. Kid has some serious hops.

This Quells' not that big of a deal.
I know. It'll do fine.

(The Outside World)

1238 Wil infiltrates Alexei's Gang
Wil infiltrates the gang of Alexei, possessor of the Egg.

And with that, we've finished our first bit of historical fiction in the LP! This is what we'll go with for the LP for gameplay purposes, but it isn't what actually, historically happened. If you want to really understand Wil Knights, then you need to know the true course of events.

That's tomorrow. Spoiler policy is in full effect, guys. Watch yourselves.

Next time: Infiltrate! Alexei Gang (1238) [True]

Einander fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Mar 29, 2015

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Huh, try as I might, I didn't think Narcisse could go on that hellish trip.

God I hate that city, at least in this scenario. Other times... much more fun.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I just did this scenario the other day, and god drat is it obtuse. Despite doing it several times before, I still had to pull up a walkthrough on GameFAQs just to figure out how to get through it. The atmosphere and ambiance are nice, but god drat it's hard to figure out what the hell is going on.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

inthesto posted:

I just did this scenario the other day, and god drat is it obtuse. Despite doing it several times before, I still had to pull up a walkthrough on GameFAQs just to figure out how to get through it. The atmosphere and ambiance are nice, but god drat it's hard to figure out what the hell is going on.

I think some NPC jerk is tied to the lights too, so going treasure hunting (which I don't think requires the lights off to pick up, just see) keeps you from talking to some flag-triggering rear end hat.

The only other game with something so horrible is FFVIII and the occupied Balamb segment. I swear my disc was defective, thank god the monsters who made that game had the decency to include a timer to just skip that bullshit.

Word on the Wind
May 23, 2014
"This city is like water in a bucket. It doesn't flow anywhere and so it stagnates."

Something like that.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

Word on the Wind posted:

"This city is like water in a bucket. It doesn't flow anywhere and so it stagnates."

Something like that.

"Water will stagnate if there's no current. You could say this city's like a puddle of standing water."
(I took screenshots for most of the early dialogue because I couldn't remember what the heck the triggers were)

Word on the Wind
May 23, 2014

Einander posted:

"Water will stagnate if there's no current. You could say this city's like a puddle of standing water."
(I took screenshots for most of the early dialogue because I couldn't remember what the heck the triggers were)

Yeah that's the one. I couldn't remember the wording (Been -way- too long) but that's probably one of my favorite lines in the game.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Noooo I missed Unlimited Saga chat. I'd love to LP it sometime but man it'd be a lot of work. I know more about that game than is healthy, even if that isn't a particularly high bar.

I remember thinking this was basically the worst attempt at infiltration I'd ever seen.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

To me it sounded more like Catherine got egged and Henry died because he didn't expect his wife to turn into an anima zombie. Then Alexei would just have to steal the egg and Catherine would die because her anima got absorbed. Dunno if the minor detail you mentioned would contradict this theory, though.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Stelas posted:

I remember thinking this was basically the worst attempt at infiltration I'd ever seen.

It really is, now that I think about it. Wil is horrible at subtlety, and Tyler just proved he isn't much better.

I do have to wonder why the hell the kid is involved, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.

a cartoon duck posted:

To me it sounded more like Catherine got egged and Henry died because he didn't expect his wife to turn into an anima zombie. Then Alexei would just have to steal the egg and Catherine would die because her anima got absorbed. Dunno if the minor detail you mentioned would contradict this theory, though.

It's Henry's anima inside the Egg, so he would have been holding it, not Catherine.

• Locked thread