Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Cake Attack posted:

which is troy baker, so it's always weird to me that people don't acknowledge that snow rules

Yeah Snow's actually the best FFXIII character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Actually Sazh is the best character because of madworld.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women
Friendly Factory fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jun 4, 2018

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I love when games get pretentious enough to think their awful story telling is supposed to be dramatic, so that scene is one of my favorites. You really have to wonder what the people behind it were thinking.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Yeah Snow's actually the best FFXIII character.

Exactly. I never intend to touch FFXIII again but Snow was easily my favorite playable character in the game. Then again, since there are only like, 4 non-playable characters of any significance, what I'm saying is that Snow was my favorite character in the whole game.

I never understood the hate for him. Hope, who I also liked, I can easily understand the hate for. But Snow?

Lightning was the insufferable part of XIII.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women
Friendly Factory fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jun 4, 2018

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

NikkolasKing posted:

I never understood the hate for him

You don't understand why people hate a character who goes on about how he has to protect everyone all the time forever and yelling about being a hero? He's the character who most repeats his same tired rear end shtick and it gets to the point where he is loving insufferable. This is not even mentioning him trying to do insanely stupid poo poo like calling Lightning "Sis" whenever her sister is currently crystalized and Lightning already does not like him. He comes off as an unrelateable person in about every way. The only person in the game that has any semblance of pathos and you can connect with is Sazh who actually has a realistic problem.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I didn't find him insufferable, but then again I finished the game in japanese where there's a few more translation differences that are...I dunno why they left them out.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I mean, it's fair enough if you like the character, I'm not saying you shouldn't. I find it hard to believe that anyone doesn't see why people would find him obnoxious. (I'm not responding to you, Tae.)

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Has American audiences ever liked shounen-type happy-go-lucky main characters in non-japanese games? Like I'm legit trying to think of the last big game that had a non-broody/snarky Joss Whedon guy.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I honestly don't remember the last time we had a prominent main character that was an honest, happy-go-lucky goof who was well liked. Maybe Spider-Man, but that's been both a constant for like 50 years and he still incorporates being snarky into it. Maybe Aang from Avatar?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Are you seriously counting that one broken achievement game as Aang's representation

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm just referring to in general, like it's not even just video games it's an American entertainment wide thing.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

he's speaking in the broader sense, not just video games

i'm not sure why you'd talk about something that's not anime or video games, but that's his decision to live with

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Uh, Finn from Adventure Time? (There are even Adventure Time games!)

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I wanna say we can't count kids shows because that's like an obvious thing for them, but I can't do that after I said Aang, so I dunno.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Beef Waifu posted:

Maybe Aang from Avatar?

Aang? I think you meant to say Toph Beifong. :colbert:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

mycot posted:

Uh, Finn from Adventure Time? (There are even Adventure Time games!)

Dunno if I could count that, because that's a game based on a TV. I guess I'm looking for american developers (or I guess non-japanese in general) purposely making a Snow or Vaan or Luffy, etc that are just always super positive when they make a protagonist.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Tae posted:

Has American audiences ever liked shounen-type happy-go-lucky main characters in non-japanese games? Like I'm legit trying to think of the last big game that had a non-broody/snarky Joss Whedon guy.

I dunno, Nathan Drake is a pretty doofy guy (even if he kills people by the hundreds). I don't play a ton of western games, but a lot of them have faceless/design-your-own main characters with no personality as the protagonist. Bioware tends to have some snarky/goofy supporting characters, though.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Um, Call of Duty, hello? My guy is always super postive when he's getting tons of killstreaks in online multiplayer match #200,329

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Crash Bandicoot is pretty happy-go-lucky.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

mario, that fucker.

E: oh, wait, western. nevermind.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Snow has a stupid name, stupid lines and possibly Nomura's worst character design. He wanted to be a teenage Barret, and Troy Baker did a good job hamming it up, but the deck was really stacked against him.

Schwartzcough posted:

For example, there's the scene where you get the Sword of Kings, which is supposed to be capable of cutting nethicite. Balthier convinces Ashe to test it out on the Dusk Shard (I think) that was now inert after blowing up the Leviathan and its fleet. Ashe is reluctant to give up her nuke, even though it's basically powerless now, but she does agree to it. Ashe winds back, and Rasler's ghost shows up over the nethicite and shakes his head. Ashe hesitates, then brings the sword crashing down... several inches from the Dusk Shard. Ashe says something like "this is the sword. It can cut nethicite; I know it" to which Baltier quips "if it ever finds its mark..."

The whole game, Ashe becomes bent on obtaining Nethicite- first to prove her birthright, and then for the power itself. She's not just out to reestablish Dalmasca, but to get revenge on the Empire, and thinks that fighting power with power is the way to go. The rest of the party spends the whole game basically saying "and what are you going to do with the nethicite when you get it? Do you really plan to nuke the Empire? Would you want to, even if you could pull it off?" and she spends the whole time wavering between anger and vengeance, duty to her country, and the morality of using the nethicite as a weapon. The ghosts keep nudging her towards collecting and using the nethicite to avenge the fallen, and her party keeps nudging her towards not becoming a warmonger like the Empire she hates.

Alright I vaguely remember that sword thing. I'll concede that I missed some stuff.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Dec 1, 2014

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Kajeesus posted:

Snow has a stupid name, stupid lines and possibly Nomura's worst character design. He wanted to be a teenage Barret, and Troy Baker did a good job hamming it up, but the deck was really stacked against him.

Look at this incredibly wrong poster who clearly hasn't played Dirge of Cerberus

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Beef Waifu posted:

I honestly don't remember the last time we had a prominent main character that was an honest, happy-go-lucky goof who was well liked. Maybe Spider-Man, but that's been both a constant for like 50 years and he still incorporates being snarky into it. Maybe Aang from Avatar?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

There are still a few about, Yuri Lowell was pretty chipper and confident all things considered, Zidane if you're okay to go back a few years and the Gullwings were like 90% happy-go-lucky teen exuberance.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

He said well liked.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

A Steampunk Gent posted:

There are still a few about, Yuri Lowell was pretty chipper and confident all things considered, Zidane if you're okay to go back a few years and the Gullwings were like 90% happy-go-lucky teen exuberance.

I said non-Japanese games.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Tae posted:

Look at this incredibly wrong poster who clearly hasn't played Dirge of Cerberus

Ugh, rude. I'd clearly repressed all memories of that game and you just had to go remind a guy.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Tae posted:

I said non-Japanese games.

The Champion of Kirkwall, Hawke

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Speaking of Hawke, I just started the DA games and while I know he has a bit of a dark history and all that, Alistair seems like a lot of fun. His cheerfulness and snarkiness in the face of all the crap he's been through/is going through is great. He also seems to be by far most people's favorite character from Origins.

I got a long way to go in Origins however.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Speaking of Hawke, I just started the DA games and while I know he has a bit of a dark history and all that, Alistair seems like a lot of fun. His cheerfulness and snarkiness in the face of all the crap he's been through/is going through is great. He also seems to be by far most people's favorite character from Origins.

Alistair is literally written as a Joss Whedon character. I don't mean "similar to', I mean the writers explicitly and literally tried to mimic Buffy and Firefly when writing him.

I can think of optimistic/hopeful characters in Western games but they're all from kids games. Stuff like Skylanders or whatever. It is sort of weird to realize I can't think of many otherwise, aside from the occasional minor side character who is probably comedic.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Dec 1, 2014

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Cake Attack posted:

which is troy baker, so it's always weird to me that people don't acknowledge that snow rules

Aatrak new account detected.

:ssh: Snow is a loving pedo.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mister Adequate posted:

Aatrak new account detected.

:ssh: Snow is a loving pedo.
serah is 18

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Endorph posted:

serah is 18
also dead.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Endorph posted:

serah is 18

uhuh

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

... yeah?

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Endorph posted:

... yeah?

And Snow is 21. Seriously this is like the dumbest thing to try and bring up.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

a 21-year-old dating an 18-year-old isnt really pedophilia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

NikkolasKing posted:

If we're going with Bioware sidekicks, then there's definitely Vega from ME3. I personally dislike Alistair, but Corporal Beefcake was great.