Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

How screwed might somebody with PSA or Piedmont be who meets the minimums to fly mainline, sees the supposed writing on the wall ("You're not getting in here") at AA, and wants to move to Delta/United/Southwest/Frontier/Spirit/jetBlue, etc.? Do other mainline carriers look at Blue Streakers as the scourge of the Earth or is it a "That doesn't affect us" attitude?

To that end, I seem to remember reading the PSA vote passed at 78%. What if somebody voted No? Could they say "Hey, I didn't vote for that and I can prove it.", or is it "gently caress you all"?

e- Private Pilot gets caught in IFR in a 172, controller talks him down: http://www.khou.com/story/news/local/2014/11/20/air-traffic-controller-saves-pilots-life/19310537/

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Nov 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
Don't know at other airlines, I think the AA/US/AWE thing is mostly because PSA are the ones who caved giving management the idea of going after scope again in their current negotiations. If they hadn't then AA may not have pushed as hard on that. One thing to keep in mind is that there are a LOT of envoy guys going to AA through their flow through program and they're really REALLY pissed off at PSA and Peidmont at the moment so they may be spreading the sentiment over there.

CBJSprague24 posted:

So PSA and Piedmont pilots approved contracts which include flowthroughs which AA and US may not adhere to in the end because the review boards are pissed off at the pilots?

I can't remember if PSA has a direct flow program or an interview program. If it's a direct flow and the company is actually following it then there won't be a captain review board.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Holy poo poo, that's terrifying. Hands down the longest 20 minutes of that guy's life. This is why I'm gonna start working on my instrument rating after getting my private. I've sailed boats a lot, and I know how fast conditions can go to hell.

Also, what does the FAA have to say about this? Surely they're not gonna let this one go without ripping that guy a new one for getting stuck in those conditions, right?
Everything I'm learning is "if you stick yourself in IMC conditions you're an idiot and the FAA is going to be pissed".

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Hopefully isn't any more punitive than a check ride with an examiner and some recurrent training with a CFI/online modules/written material. If that.

I know the FAA is the big bad brother of certificate actions, but procedures are in place for ATC to assist VFR aircraft encountering instrument conditions. It's an expected service that we train for. It can happen to anyone.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

The Ferret King posted:

Hopefully isn't any more punitive than a check ride with an examiner and some recurrent training with a CFI/online modules/written material. If that.

I know the FAA is the big bad brother of certificate actions, but procedures are in place for ATC to assist VFR aircraft encountering instrument conditions. It's an expected service that we train for. It can happen to anyone.

Yea, and even though I can't afford the whole 40 hours and everything for IFR right away, I want to at least read the books and get a few hours of training. So at least I know the basics and won't be making GBS threads myself so bad if (when) it happens to me.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

chrisgt posted:

Yea, and even though I can't afford the whole 40 hours and everything for IFR right away, I want to at least read the books and get a few hours of training. So at least I know the basics and won't be making GBS threads myself so bad if (when) it happens to me.

Go for it.

I live in an area that has 350+ sunny days a year and I still recommend an instrument ticket to everyone that wants to be a better pilot.

That being said: don't risk poo poo and don't let extra training lead to overconfidence.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

My rule of thumb was if there was any somewhat decent possibility of getting caught in IFR while doing time-building solo cross-countries, I didn't go.

Then I got Instrument and got to shoot a GPS on Local IFR on my first XC after my checkride. It was technically VFR, but a December morning where it was hazy as poo poo and visibility going Westbound was maybe 4 miles, so I did it for fun and practicality.

And ExpressJet just picked up a contract to fly for American Eagle out of DFW.

Entone
Aug 14, 2004

Take that slow people!

Extra training is good, but the guy flew on this day with no instrument rating. That breaks some of the ADM training. They were predicting hail and possible tornadoes.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

TFR in effect over Ferguson, MO for flight at 3100 and below.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
TFR seems to be SFC-3000 1411250415Z-1411251015Z

Edit to remove some bad info.

SeaborneClink fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Nov 25, 2014

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Entone posted:

Extra training is good, but the guy flew on this day with no instrument rating. That breaks some of the ADM training. They were predicting hail and possible tornadoes.

gently caress it we're doing it live.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.
Update: Got interviews lined up for Air Whisky and Skywest, looks like PSA at this point will be just for practice!

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
I just finished a strangely hilarious two day trip.

On the first leg of the first day, the latch for seatbelt on the cockpit jumpseat decided to disassemble itself shortly after takeoff (with a deadheading pilot in the jumpseat), which lead to all three of us trying to figure out how to get the thing back together before we ran into turbulence on the descent (which required about 30 minutes to figure out). When we landed, one of the flight attendants came up and asked us to call paramedics, because a passenger was completely unresponsive and passed out in their seat. The passenger started to come around right as the EMS showed up, and as far as they could tell, the guy was either high as balls, (although he seemed fine when he boarded) or had managed to mix medication and alcohol that really don't play well together.

The next two legs were uneventful (even with a ton of people in wheelchairs and unaccompanied minors), and the last leg was going to be pretty straightforward, until we noticed that the aircraft had been given way more fuel than that leg normally takes (we usually tanker enough to complete that leg plus the return trip the next day), which was quickly explained by the weather packet showing that the destination weather was right at minimums, and was forecast to go below minimums some time after we arrived.

Flying the approach, we got the approach lights and runway environment in sight at basically the last possible second to legally land, and as we were taxiing to the gate, the visibility dropped from what had been a half mile to something like 500ft, and we found out that two later flights ended up holding quite a bit to wait for the visibility to lift enough to shoot the approach.

The second day was pretty easy on paper, since it was three pretty short legs and then we got to go home. The first leg was pretty uneventful (aside from some low level windshear), except the airplane decided it didn't want to accept external power after we parked, but since we were changing airplanes anyway and the broken one was scheduled to sit for several hours anyway, that wasn't a big deal.

To finish off the trip, the final two legs involved a gusting 25kt crosswind with windshear (I somehow made the best landing of my career with those conditions), another airplane deciding it wanted to break, and a passenger spitting chewing tobacco on the cabin wall on two consecutive flights, then claiming to be related to the CEO of Alaska Airlines when confronted about it.

azflyboy fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Nov 28, 2014

eternalname
Nov 25, 2014

I have a strange feeling...that people are having sex...and it's not with me
What are the best things to study in school to find a good career in aviation? I notice there are aviation science, aviation management, aerospace science, and air traffic control degrees offered at various schools.

I would like to learn to fly but I find all aspects of the industry very interesting and am open minded.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

eternalname posted:

What are the best things to study in school to find a good career in aviation? I notice there are aviation science, aviation management, aerospace science, and air traffic control degrees offered at various schools.

I would like to learn to fly but I find all aspects of the industry very interesting and am open minded.

As far as I know, ATC degrees are essentially useless at this point, due to a FAA policy change.

It used to be that going through a CTI program got you preferential hiring for an ATC position, but the FAA changed their hiring policies earlier this year so that CTI graduates would be considered the same as anyone else applying for an ATC vacancy. Last I heard, there was a law firm planning to file a class-action lawsuit against the FAA to undo that change, but I don't think anything has happened with it so far.

If you want to become a professional pilot, the aeronautics or aviation science degrees are a pretty expensive way to go, since you'll be paying for a college degree (which can be north of $40k/yr for somewhere like Embry-Riddle), plus another $65k or so for the flying. Most flying jobs that require a college degree really don't care what the degree is in, so getting a degree in something like business or accounting that has use in the non-flying world and getting the ratings elsewhere would probably be a good idea.

As for aviation management degrees, I don't know much about them, so I can't help there.

I actually got a BS in aeronautics from the University of North Dakota, but was able to come out of the program basically debt free. Since the aviation industry is incredibly fickle, putting yourself into six-figure debt to eventually get a job at a regional making maybe $30k/yr (plus the fact that you can easily end up on the street the next time the economy hiccups, or another regional underbids your employer) strikes me as an incredibly bad decision.

eternalname
Nov 25, 2014

I have a strange feeling...that people are having sex...and it's not with me
From what I understand careers as a pilot are expensive to get into and low paying, I was wondering if anyone here works in aviation management or knows if it is a decent career path.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

eternalname posted:

From what I understand careers as a pilot are expensive to get into and low paying, I was wondering if anyone here works in aviation management or knows if it is a decent career path.

Being a professional pilot is like being a professional musician or a professional artist: don't do it unless you can't imagine yourself doing anything else for a living since getting to a point where you can actually make an ok living is by no means guaranteed and there are a lot of dues to pay.

Are aviation management degrees really a thing? Running an airline is basically the same as running any other business, just with more bankruptcies. If this was of interest, I'd go to school for a normal business degree. Look into which schools the various airlines do coop/internships with and go to one of those schools and do an internship to help maximize to chances of getting into an airline after graduation.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Get an accounting degree. Buy yourself an airplane.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

I have a not-pilot-related question about aviation industry jobs, so I figured I'd ask here rather than the thread in AI. If I wanted to get a job working as an aviation mechanic/technician in Southeast Michigan, where would I start looking for information on schooling/training/jobs/etc?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

I have a not-pilot-related question about aviation industry jobs, so I figured I'd ask here rather than the thread in AI. If I wanted to get a job working as an aviation mechanic/technician in Southeast Michigan, where would I start looking for information on schooling/training/jobs/etc?

Part 147 Schools:

http://airframe-powerplant.com/airframe-powerplant-schools-michigan.htm

Other than that, you can just try to land a shop helper job at any repair station or GA shop, and get certified that way.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Definitely do the second one.

The shop helpers, after 3(?) years get signed off to take the A&P test. So yeah it's an apprenticeship. Go find a knowledgeable mechanic that you get a long with and learn learn learn.

The "shop helpers" are never short of work and are always having a great time "complaining" about working on airplanes. Would love to do it later in life.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Rad, thanks. Sorry, I missed that part of the OP as I was scanning through it. There's plenty of airports big and small around here that I can look into. I'll start after the first of the year. I'd rather do a shop helper/apprenticeship anyway, seeing as how that's what I'm used to (it's how I got into my last career).

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

eternalname posted:

If you wanted a Bachelor's degree, look into schools with a transfer module with a four-year school. You can get an Associate's in something aviation-related a community college, taking similar courses for less, and transfer it into the four-year leaving around half the classes.

Most of the courses I took at Riddle (WW) were business-related because all of the Aviation was covered in the program I transferred from.

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008
This certainly was a slow month of flying. About 3 weeks ago I was sent up to Indiana and the Midwest fall/winter weather hit right on schedule. Tomorrow I start my vacation for the first time in 2 months which is nice, but just means guaranteed no flying. I still love the job, though

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Nah, get into aviation for the fame and the fortune!
There was a post on reddit that was interesting, saying basically if you get into airline flying because you love flying, you'll be unhappy in 5 years, but if you get into it because you like travel and will use the flight bennys, those people are the happiest.

I laughed out loud at my coworker the other day because he said he spent $250,000 going to Embry Riddle and doing the multi track, but that he felt he received "superior training" and had flown with a lot of unimpressive ATP people. Well maybe I'm unimpressive but I can probably get some remedial training since I'm not out 250k. Another spent $200,000, also went to riddle, and financed it I guess because he's 200k in debt. That must be absolutely soul crushing.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
What if you're doing it for both? :smith:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

The Slaughter posted:

There was a post on reddit that was interesting, saying basically if you get into airline flying because you love flying, you'll be unhappy in 5 years, but if you get into it because you like travel and will use the flight bennys, those people are the happiest.

I laughed out loud at my coworker the other day because he said he spent $250,000 going to Embry Riddle and doing the multi track, but that he felt he received "superior training" and had flown with a lot of unimpressive ATP people. Well maybe I'm unimpressive but I can probably get some remedial training since I'm not out 250k. Another spent $200,000, also went to riddle, and financed it I guess because he's 200k in debt. That must be absolutely soul crushing.

Now, now. The Honorable Gentleman from the State of New York and his friends in Congress feel that his training is, in fact, superior, and he'd be given a 500 hour hiring credit* for his choice of school if he were going through nowadays. :eng101:

e- (*- But only if he did his Instrument AND Commercial with Riddle. If not, then it's not as good.)

More seriously, I called ERAU once when I was considering changing flight schools for Commercial (the check airman I did my Instrument ride with was a noted dickbag) and was somehow given the number of the head of Riddle's flight department. When I explained my situation (just finished Instrument, interested in a flying career, ERAU-Worldwide student), he told me "unless you want the ERAU name, save your money and train somewhere else".

I later met him at CLT while waiting for a flight to DAB; he approached me because I had a Riddle t-shirt on. I didn't let on that he was the guy who told me "don't come to my flight program" a few months before.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Dec 2, 2014

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE

CBJSprague24 posted:

More seriously, I called ERAU once when I was considering changing flight schools for Commercial (the check airman I did my Instrument ride with was a noted dickbag) and was somehow given the number of the head of Riddle's flight department. When I explained my situation (just finished Instrument, interested in a flying career, ERAU-Worldwide student), he told me "unless you want the ERAU name, save your money and train somewhere else".

I later met him at CLT while waiting for a flight to DAB; he approached me because I had a Riddle t-shirt on. I didn't let on that he was the guy who told me "don't come to my flight program" a few months before.

He sounds like a legit good guy and someone you could take a lot of solid career advice from.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

xaarman posted:

He sounds like a legit good guy and someone you could take a lot of solid career advice from.

I was surprised at and appreciated his honesty. I figured when I called him he'd be "Oh yeah, come on down, we'll set you up in a glass 172 for $900/hr wet" like many other recruiters I'd dealt with, but he didn't.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.
I just discovered (and read through some of the threads there) of the regional subforum over at APC, oh my hell :suicide:

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008

The Slaughter posted:

Since my job is based out of Daytona we got a lot of Riddle people and I honestly can't believe people pay for that place

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
I had a jumpseater on one of my recent flights who got a masters from Riddle. I've heard good things about their engineering programs, but I can't imagine why anyone would fork over the extra $40k for a masters from there.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
I did a campus tour with my grandfather about 19 years ago and it looked pretty cool. However, something I did not consider back then:

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/embry-riddle-1479

quote:

Students
4,679 enrolled
83% male / 17% female

:barf:

xaarman fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Dec 3, 2014

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

xaarman posted:

I did a campus tour with my grandfather about 19 years ago and it looked pretty cool. However, something I did not consider back then:

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/embry-riddle-1479

:barf:

Riddle Vision.

...though I was on campus for Worldwide graduation in May and was surprised at the quality of the female eye candy on campus. Quality > Quantity?

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
The best career advice I wish I had listened to:

Find the thing that you are most passionate about in your life, then find the thing you are second most passionate about. Make the second one your career, the first one your hobby.

And on the subject of riddle: I went there for 4 years (AZ campus) and got a BS in Aeronautical Science. Other than the lack of females I actually had a really good time there. It's a good training program and a GREAT way to make connections in the industry which is probably the most important aspect in getting a flying job. Unfortunately the cost is astronomical for what you make as an airline pilot, and a degree in aviation is pretty much worthless outside of the industry. My recommendation would be to go to a traditional college and get a degree in something useful outside of aviation while doing your flight training on the side. Also, Riddle tries to promote itself as the "Harvard of the skies" which is a load of bull, the pilot cert you graduate with is exactly the same as the one you would get from a small part 61 school. Riddle graduates some lovely pilots, and some amazing pilots, just like every other flight school out there.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

You could take the long approach like my brother did, and get your double masters at Embry Riddle while teaching squids at Pensacola, all with the Marine Corps paying for it. Of course that means you have to be a career marine first, but hey, everything has it's price!

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

Butt Reactor posted:

I just discovered (and read through some of the threads there) of the regional subforum over at APC, oh my hell :suicide:

Yea... Don't go there.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

The Locator posted:

You could take the long approach like my brother did, and get your double masters at Embry Riddle while teaching squids at Pensacola, all with the Marine Corps paying for it. Of course that means you have to be a career marine first, but hey, everything has it's price!

The price is high. TBS suuuucks.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

overdesigned posted:

The price is high. TBS suuuucks.

If you are talking about The Basic School (officer training), he didn't go that route, he's NCO (Gunnery Sgt. I think, although he may have gotten the promotion to Master by now - I live far away so keep in contact less than I should).

At the end of this enlistment he'll be about 40 with 22 years in, a double masters, and since his entire career has been in the logistics side or teaching, I imagine he'll be able to get quite the nice job if he wants to keep working.

But yea, probably not an approach I'd suggest to get a degree (or two) at Embry Riddle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MooseNoose
Aug 6, 2006

KodiakRS posted:

Unfortunately the cost is astronomical for what you make as an airline pilot, and a degree in aviation is pretty much worthless outside of the industry.

Echoing this. Same school, campus, and degree. When life threw me a curve ball, I found myself working along side of high school drop outs in a factory. Get a degree in something useful and fly for fun.

• Locked thread