Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's winning this loving thing?
This poll is closed.
(W1) Seattle Sounders 31 22.63%
(W2) Los Angeles Galaxy 13 9.49%
(W3) Real Salt Lake 1 0.73%
(W4) FC Dallas 4 2.92%
(W5) Vancouver Whitecaps 4 2.92%
(E1) DC United 16 11.68%
(E2) New England Revolution 27 19.71%
(E3) Columbus Crew 11 8.03%
(E4) Red Bull New York 5 3.65%
(E5) Sporting Kansas City 0 0%
(C1) Calvinball 25 18.25%
Total: 137 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735

the escape goat posted:

...you could look it up just like you did the LAX prices?
personally, when I'm flying my employees into the LA area for pickups and stuff I always fly 'em into Long Beach. saves cash and it's way less bustle.

E: oh it looks like you did already check prices. you looked at JetBlue?

Yeah, I meant more from a hassle perspective, so thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever

Popero posted:

Yeah, I meant more from a hassle perspective, so thanks.

Easier but not like $100 and an extra layover easier--you're gonna have to rent a car or buddy up with someone in a rental car either way. I'm doing LAX 'cause I cashed in all the Brazil miles.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

I can't stand New England teams, primarily because of the fan base. Red Sox, Patriots, Celtics (gently caress you I say Kehl-tick) are all seemingly offensive. "Yardayarrr! Tom Brady Yarrrr!" Like gently caress off dude. Your superiority complex is grating. Your bumper sticker that says "I'd rather my daughter be a whore than my son at for the Yankees" says a lot about your family values.

That being said I still hope Rev win because I don't want Landon to go out like that. I want a Zidane style of exit.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

If you're doing a quick in and out same day thing, I'd probably just do LAX. If you're staying a couple days, Long Beach is much less of a hassle to get to in the morning.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Soulex posted:

I can't stand New England teams, primarily because of the fan base. Red Sox, Patriots, Celtics (gently caress you I say Kehl-tick) are all seemingly offensive. "Yardayarrr! Tom Brady Yarrrr!" Like gently caress off dude. Your superiority complex is grating. Your bumper sticker that says "I'd rather my daughter be a whore than my son at for the Yankees" says a lot about your family values.

That being said I still hope Rev win because I don't want Landon to go out like that. I want a Zidane style of exit.

And how about revs fans who, uh, aren't even remotely like that and hate people like that?

In other words, gently caress you!

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

silvergoose posted:

And how about revs fans who, uh, aren't even remotely like that and hate people like that?

In other words, gently caress you!

Then I'm fine. It's just the chest thumpers I hate. Granted, I bleed purple for my team and shout and chant when I'm in the stadium. When talking about it to a stranger, I can banter. But being obnoxious isn't something I do. Unless I'm posting here.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Soulex posted:

Then I'm fine. It's just the chest thumpers I hate. Granted, I bleed purple for my team and shout and chant when I'm in the stadium. When talking about it to a stranger, I can banter. But being obnoxious isn't something I do. Unless I'm posting here.

All the other Revs fans I've met are all very different then the rest of the Boston sports teams. Not much to brag about when your trophy cabinet contains a USOC and uhhh...this Superliga thing.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

LA depends entirely on where you are staying/operating and not what airport you're flying into. Also, everything is bad in traditional rush hour times. We don't measure in distance, we measure in time.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Soulex posted:

Yeah thing is, other than the two very loud drunk guys yelling french obscenities at Henry all afternoon, I haven't met a single rude Revs fan.

Holy poo poo those guys were hilariously terrible, though.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Popero posted:

How much better is LGB than LAX for this trip? LAX is like $100 cheaper and one fewer layover.

LGB is about 100 times calmer and easier to deal with than LAX if you don't mind the extra money and lay over.

I'm glad LA is advancing, but I did feel a bit bad for the Sounders and their fans. I like pretty much everyone on the Sounders except Dempsey and that was a rough way to go out with old man Juninho scoring on you like that.

All that said, death to Jermaine Jones and the Revolution.

threeagainstfour fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Dec 1, 2014

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

threeagainstfour posted:

LGB is about 100 times calmer and easier to deal with than LAX if you don't mind the extra money and lay over.

I'm glad LA is advancing, but I did feel a bit bad for the Sounders and their fans. I like pretty much everyone on the Sounders except Dempsey and that was a rough way to go out with old man Juninho scoring on you like that.

All that said, death to Jermaine Jones and the Revolution.

He's 25 going on 46. Love the Donovan-esque Widow's Peak as well.

fat greasy puto
Dec 30, 2001

Anime Lover David Beckham
i hope the score at halftime is 4-0 galaxy and the revs and sounders fans have to sit through an hour long tribute to LD before galaxy proceeds to win 5-4 on a 93rd minute donovan goal. thanks for reading

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

fat greasy puto posted:

i hope the score at halftime is 4-0 galaxy and the revs and sounders fans have to sit through an hour long tribute to LD before galaxy proceeds to win 5-4 on a 93rd minute donovan goal. thanks for reading

The only thing better would be TT's 1000 yard :stare: and :shepicide:

Fucitol
May 8, 2005

Ceterum autem censeo mundum esse delendam

Memento, homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris

fat greasy puto posted:

i like this because i want everyone watching to be as miserable as humanly possible. esp me.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I trust you guys, GD is a revs "fan" and he isn't a complete tool. I guess it's just the other sports teams. Only real reason I follow the Sounders is because you support your home team, and well, that's them. I don't really dislike any of the teams in MLS, some of the players are just like really?

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Just because Revs fans are not as bad as normal Boston sports fans doesn't really say much because you're already starting from such a lovely point of comparison. I dislike almost everything Boston has to offer in general that's why I'm finding it hard to root for the Revs despite having some cool players (and "relatively ok fans"). In my experience Bostonians are complete homers for all things Boston not just the sports. I had someone defend Jay Leno to me because he was from Boston.

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever

Soulex posted:

I trust you guys, GD is a revs "fan" and he isn't a complete tool.

On the other hand you got a Revs poster in here whose name literally is Toole.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

We don't measure in distance, we measure in time.

Just like New England!

MagnifiedX
Jan 31, 2003
Atom Splitting Retard

Seltzer posted:

Just because Revs fans are not as bad as normal Boston sports fans doesn't really say much because you're already starting from such a lovely point of comparison. I dislike almost everything Boston has to offer in general that's why I'm finding it hard to root for the Revs despite having some cool players (and "relatively ok fans"). In my experience Bostonians are complete homers for all things Boston not just the sports. I had someone defend Jay Leno to me because he was from Boston.

I think you'll find most of us Revs fans can't stand that attitude as well (especially since those same Boston fans who are ON all the time are like "Soccer, wait we have a team?") Someone I know responded to a watch party invite with "Sorry, there's a more important game on than the MLS cup."

That said, if and when the Revs get a cup win or two, those same asshats will probably show up and ruin it for everyone :(

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy

MagnifiedX posted:

especially since those same Boston fans who are ON all the time are like "Soccer, wait we have a team?"

Yeah I find, as a Revs fan in the Boston area, that I am actually straight up mocked for being a Revs fan by people who are into the other sports.

That said, I am also a displaced Northern Californian so this final is everything I could hope for. My team vs a southern CA team? CRUSH THEM!!!!

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

ExtrudeAlongCurve posted:

Yeah I find, as a Revs fan in the Boston area, that I am actually straight up mocked for being a Revs fan by people who are into the other sports.

That said, I am also a displaced Northern Californian so this final is everything I could hope for. My team vs a southern CA team? CRUSH THEM!!!!

That is pretty much my story as well (displaced Northern Californian; previously displaced Floridian).

Typical Boston sports fan response when the Revs are mentioned: 1) who? 2) we have a soccer team? 3) soccer sucks, is gay, etc. 4) you mean our lacrosse team?

We are still a long way from having bandwagon fans from your typical Boston sports fan types. An MLS Cup win might help (a tiny bit), an urban SSS might help (a tiny bit more), but it will take time. A lot more time.

In the mean time we have our US Open Cup and our Superliga Cup which no one cares about. Superliga!

The Revs have disappointed me far too many times in the past so I'm trying not to get my hopes up this time. I just know they are going to tease me right up until the end and then crush my hopes in the dirt.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Soulex posted:

Having lived outside of Boston and then moving there, I still have no idea how people get this impression unless they've been drunkenly taunting other drunk Boston fans at games. Boston has its fair share of team hecklers but I have never seen anything come from a Boston fan directly that would be as lovely as some of the things I've seen Montreal fans (for example) do and say. I maintain my opinion that people who think Boston fans suck either don't live anywhere near the city or are basing their opinions off that one away game they went to back in '94.

EDIT: Even with that said, Revs fans are totally cool and absolutely unlike their NBA, MLB, and NFL counterparts. Very chill crowd. Ask anyone who's been to a game, the atmosphere with everyone there is electric

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

13 year old girls posted:

Having lived outside of Boston and then moving there, I still have no idea how people get this impression unless they've been drunkenly taunting other drunk Boston fans at games. Boston has its fair share of team hecklers but I have never seen anything come from a Boston fan directly that would be as lovely as some of the things I've seen Montreal fans (for example) do and say. I maintain my opinion that people who think Boston fans suck either don't live anywhere near the city or are basing their opinions off that one away game they went to back in '94.

EDIT: Even with that said, Revs fans are totally cool and absolutely unlike their NBA, MLB, and NFL counterparts. Very chill crowd. Ask anyone who's been to a game, the atmosphere with everyone there is electric

I have that opinion because I was born and live in a city full of transplants. It's why I dislike Chicago, New York, and Boston fans. Because the loudest assholes left and came here and can't stop crowing about how wonderful their former city was, even though they'd never actually go back.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

GUESS WHO IS GOING TO REFEREE THE FINAL

If you had to think longer than like three seconds you're overthinking it.

R: Mark Geiger
AR1: Peter Manikowski
AR2: Joe Fletcher
4TH: Armando Villarreal
Alternate AR: Chris Strickland

Mr. Strickland is retiring at the end of this year iirc. He's a pretty cool dude. He was on the USA crew that went to WC 2006 as a set of alternate officials and I think was the alternate AR on the match where Poll did his little trick. He worked matches in the APSL before the MLS even existed. I'm not sure if there are any other people with that distinction still going at this level.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Hey, you know what's pretty great? Matt Reis is finally going to know what it's like to win an MLS Cup.

Mike Toole
Apr 9, 2001

WE ARE GOING BACK!!

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Hey, you know what's pretty great? Matt Reis is finally going to know what it's like to win an MLS Cup.

You got a short memory-- he won in 2002.

I think one is enough.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Mike Toole posted:

You got a short memory-- he won in 2002.

I think one is enough.

Man, you're right. I keep forgetting it is the same guy because he had hair.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
there is a nonzero chance the Revolution get totally owned in LA and i am a little bit scared actually

Your Weird Uncle
Jan 16, 2006
Boneless Rusto Thrash.

this is so loving dumb

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

13 year old girls posted:

there is a nonzero chance the Revolution get totally owned in LA and i am a little bit scared actually

New England has lost one game in the past 4 and a half months, and that loss was to NY, who they just handily eliminated. They're going to destroy LA

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Your Weird Uncle posted:

this is so loving dumb

Haters gonna hate.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

New England has lost one game in the past 4 and a half months, and that loss was to NY, who they just handily eliminated. They're going to destroy LA

They won by one point in the series, and if Cahill doesn't gently caress up and sail that pass from Henry over the bars, then Nęw York advances. New York nearly came back to win it, and without BWP.

NE could pull out a win, but neither team is going to destroy the other.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

Tigren posted:

They have been fun to watch lately. But remember, the last time they played a Western conference team was against Chivas in August. The last time they played against a top 5 team was July against the Galaxy and they lost 5-1. They might have hit their stride at the perfect time, and Jones and Nguyen have sparked something, but they haven't faced a truly strong opponent in a long time. Oh ya, and the two times they played against New York this season? They lost both of them.

LA had a +30 goal differential at home this year and only lost once there, in the first game of the season. I still stand by my statement from last month. New England is firing on all cylinders and Jones is a game changer, but their path to the Cup included the Crew and New York.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Jones will get an insane red card in the first ten minutes and then LA will stomp the Revs. This is my prediction

Your Weird Uncle
Jan 16, 2006
Boneless Rusto Thrash.

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Haters gonna hate.

"street art" is such a dumb hackneyed trope in design right now and it infuriates me

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Nostradingus posted:

Jones will get an insane red card in the first ten minutes and then LA will stomp the Revs. This is my prediction

he's been touched by Xenu or some poo poo; dude has gotten away with so many dangerous, unnecessary tackles and he's only been emboldened by it.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Jones will dive and get someone sent off and hell, I'll laugh.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

For all you Revs in Town:

quote:

A Message to Traveling New England Revolution Fans
Below is a message from Kyle Lindsay from the Revolution Front Office with information regarding activities for Revs fans before and during MLS Cup 2014. Please contact Kyle at kylel@revolutionsoccer.net if you have any questions. We hope you enjoy your trip to California. We'll see you at the match!

Dear MLS Cup bound Revs Fans,

I know you are all excited as we are to make the trip out to MLS Cup this year! For those of you who don’t know me, my name is Kyle Lindsay and I work in the Revolution Front Office. I will be our Revolution Fans and Supporters Liaison for MLS Cup and working with the LA Galaxy FO and Stadium Security to make sure we have an awesome time out in LA.

Here are your Revs events and timeline for New England Revolution vs. LA Galaxy MLS Cup in Carson, CA! #NERevsTrip

Revolution vs. Galaxy

MLS Cup
December 7, 2014
12:00 PM PST
Saturday, December 6th

Supporters Night Before Party
Time: 8:00 PM – 2:00 AM
Naja’s Place
154 International Boardwalk
Redondo Beach, CA 90277
najasplace.com

Revolution fans and supporters are welcome to join the Midnight Riders and The Rebellion at Naja’s Place in Redondo Beach for a night before party. The event is 21+. This will be a great event to meet other Revs fans who traveled out to the game. Grab a bite to eat, share some stories, and get excited for the match. Parking is available at the Pier or Boardwalk, and has meters or paid lot.

Supps Supps
Saturday, December 7th

Pre-Game Tailgate:
Time: 9:00 AM - 10:45 AM

18400 Avalon Blvd Carson, CA 90746

At the Stub Hub Center, we will have a reserved parking lot 16 for our fans, parking costs are $15. Please print and bring the your lot 16 parking pass with you. PRINT PARKING TAG

Tailgating is not permitted in StubHub Center parking lots. However, we will have a grass lawn area designated for you to get ready for the match. SEE STADIUM MAP

Entry for Flags, Instruments, Banners:
Time: 9:00 AM

We have arranged with the LA Galaxy to give a few of us, early entry into the stadium to hang banners, flags, and bring in instruments. If you would like early entry to do so or plan on bringing anything on your own, please email KyleL@Revolutionsoccer.net. Notify what you plan to bring, and who will be entering the stadium. For those that plan to come in early, you will have to stay inside the stadium for the remainder of the game. They have a no re-entry policy. Any items not entered by 9 AM may not be allowed into stadium.

March into Stadium:
Time: 10:45 AM

At 10:45 AM, we will meet with the LA Galaxy FO and Stadium security to escort our group into the stadium. All Revolution fans and supporters are recommended and encouraged to be here for the march. It will allow for the easiest access into the stadium, and show our support for the team as we enter the stadium.

Revolution Supporters Section:
Time: 11:00 AM – postgame
Kickoff: 12:00 PM

We have two sections reserved for our Revolution supporters and fans. They will be sections 116 and 117. They are general admission, first come, first serve and are reserved exclusively for us. We recommend those who want to stand, sing, drum, wave flags, etc be closer to the front of the sections. SEE SEATING MAP

A few notes for the section:
- Please NO standing on the bleachers.
- Recommended to stay in our general corner of the stadium for concessions and restrooms.
- Pending the result, at the end of the match security may ask us to leave or stay in the section for our safety.
- Stadium exit will be the same escort as entering the stadium.

Wear Your Passion,
Go Revs!
Kyle
KyleL@Revolutionsoccer.net

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

from the comments of http://www.boston.com/sports/soccer/2014/12/05/revolution-returns-mls-cup-new-era-soccer-fandom/XlIGY44k0NOcFCLaRkJvKI/story.html

• Locked thread