Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Valeyard posted:

c#..java..whats the difference

function objects and unmanaged code

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
I'm confused why isn't software dev as real and as lovely a job as anything else?

like some of you guys have some weird romanticized opinions about what code slinging should really be like. also some myopic views on exploitation.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

rotor posted:

dynamics, generics without type erasure, linq, .net runtime has better options for dynamic code, and so people can also use f# if they want.

c# is java in hindsight

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

FamDav posted:

I'm confused why isn't software dev as real and as lovely a job as anything else?

I'm not sure what you mean by real but I've worked in warehouses and retail and print shops and assembly lines and I can safely say that being a programmer is cushy as hell. Maybe there are other jobs that are equally cushy, but I doubt they pay as well.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

tef posted:

dynamics, generics without type erasure, linq, .net runtime has better options for dynamic code, and so people can also use f# if they want.

c# is java in hindsight

it's so great :allears:

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

rotor posted:

rotor posted:

I'm not sure what you mean by real but I've worked in warehouses and retail and print shops and assembly lines and I can safely say that being a programmer is cushy as hell. Maybe there are other jobs that are equally cushy, but I doubt they pay as well.

i dont know what the majority of this is, boy is this the right thread

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx
valeyard hits another one out of the park

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

tef posted:

gosh i hope you're not in charge of metrics or localization

tef posted:

are you paul graham because gosh your everyone elses life must be exactly like mine approach is spot on

your life actually is a lot like mine. you are an english-speaking citizen of a first-world country working for a significant wage in the employ of a prosperous american firm.

that's a really cushy setup experienced by millions of people

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

power botton posted:

notorious bsd when you're called out for being a bitter small minded individual in like every thread you make more than few posts in do you think its just yospos being mean and poo poo posty or do you think that reflects upon yourself as a person

why can't it be both

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
oh hey look software salary numbers from countries that aren't really fuckin wealthy

http://www.bloomberg.com/visual-data/best-and-worst//highest-paid-software-engineers-countries

these are the ratios of a software developer's pay to average workers' wages in each country

Pakistan, 5.56
India, 3.91
South Africa, 3.64
Bulgaria, 3.28
China, 3.15
Ukraine, 2.96
Philippines, 2.69
Brazil, 2.46
Egypt, 2.19
Mexico, 2.04

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

tef posted:

if they're going into a career of business logic middleware, sure, but we're talking hobby projects here

c# is better for hobby projects cause it has the best ui + web frameworks.

Marsol0
Jun 6, 2004
No avatar. I just saved you some load time. You're welcome.

Series DD Funding posted:

using vim without any plugins makes you the retard guy from all those "if only there was a better way" infomercials

*knocks over his popcorn*

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

using vim makes you the retard guy

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
also for web client stuff you should teach them DOM and jquery and knockout.js and stay away from javascript as much as possible.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

your life actually is a lot like mine. you are an english-speaking citizen of a first-world country working for a significant wage in the employ of a prosperous american firm.

that's a really cushy setup experienced by millions of people

for three months I have managed to be in a job without requiring medical attention :toot:

(bearing in mind, i had a 90 day burnt out in previous company, working for a non profit before that, and heh, previous jobs were not so good. i've pretty much lucked out now but that doesn't change my employment history, bub)

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

oh hey look software salary numbers from countries that aren't really fuckin wealthy

http://www.bloomberg.com/visual-data/best-and-worst//highest-paid-software-engineers-countries

these are the ratios of a software developer's pay to average workers' wages in each country

Pakistan, 5.56
India, 3.91
South Africa, 3.64
Bulgaria, 3.28
China, 3.15
Ukraine, 2.96
Philippines, 2.69
Brazil, 2.46
Egypt, 2.19
Mexico, 2.04

you really do like missing the point, don't cha

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

tef posted:

you really do like missing the point, don't cha

do not engage with discount fishmech

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
"tech is full of toxic and exploitative assholes but actually it's pretty good pay if you're white, and from a socioeconomic background which can afford a computer like me"

"HEY YOU KNOW IT"S PRETTY GOOD FOR PEOPLE LIKE ME WHO ARE ALSO LIKE YOU"

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
things are bad elsewhere therefore no-one is allowed to speak out about problems that are different

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

tef posted:

things are bad elsewhere therefore no-one is allowed to speak out about problems that are different

there's a name for this arguing technique. it might be the "and you are lynching negroes" one

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

tef posted:

for three months I have managed to be in a job without requiring medical attention :toot:

that is a separate battle and i do not think it would be an easier fight if you worked in another field

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

hey i fixed my broken macbook should i try swift yet

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

tef posted:

"tech is full of toxic and exploitative assholes but actually it's pretty good pay if you're white, and from a socioeconomic background which can afford a computer like me"

it is indeed terrible that large swathes of the industry exclude people based on skin color and other ugly proxies for socioeconomic background

that doesn't make tech workers into an exploited class working terrible jobs

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Werthog 95 posted:

hey i fixed my broken macbook should i try swift yet

sure

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx
does swift work on any good oses yet

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

k

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.
swift is pretty good imo, blows objective c out of the water.

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

does swift work on any good oses yet

are there any good oses yet?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Zaxxon posted:

are there any good oses yet?

well, yours is a piece of poo poo lmao

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

Captain Foo posted:

well, yours is a piece of poo poo lmao

lol

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it is indeed terrible that large swathes of the industry exclude people based on skin color and other ugly proxies for socioeconomic background

that doesn't make tech workers into an exploited class working terrible jobs

i assume this means you've finished arguing with yourself because i'm pretty sure no-one said that. iirc, i said the industry was exploitative and the environment is toxic and hostile, :toot:

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

being a terrible programmer is awesome, it's being a good programmer that sucks

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

tef posted:

(bearing in mind, i had a 90 day burnt out in previous company, working for a non profit before that, and heh, previous jobs were not so good. i've pretty much lucked out now but that doesn't change my employment history, bub)

do you have some underlying health issues or are you just really neurotic

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

seriously just sit back and watch your overstuffed paychecks come every 2 weeks

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

FamDav posted:

yes and yes

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

power botton posted:

seriously just sit back and watch your overstuffed paychecks come every 2 weeks

lol if you arent paid weekly

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
what, why

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

FamDav posted:

neurosis is a health issue

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

tef posted:

i assume this means you've finished arguing with yourself because i'm pretty sure no-one said that. iirc, i said the industry was exploitative and the environment is toxic and hostile, :toot:

nevertheless this is about as good as it gets for regular workers

capitalism: worse than serfdom. (serfs still have a right to a roof over their heads if they take sick, eh)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

qntm posted:

what, why

• Locked thread