Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

smackfu posted:

I'd guess it would be common in grocery stores because of cheap remodeling over the decades.

But you'd think instead of a sign they might, i dunno, board the loving door over, at least on the inside. A sheet of OSB isn't exactly expensive, and a sheet of hardboard is a couple of dollars. Which is WAAAY cheaper than the bill when some fuckwit ignores the sign and your insurance laughs in your face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Doors like that are really common for mechanical penthouses/lofts or what ever. It's usually a bigger door, but yeah it's just to make replacing the equipment up there easier. What I usually see on the other side though is a lack of hardware so you can't just accidentally open it thinking it's a normal door. If you want to open it you have to unlock it use a tool or re-install the hardware. They'll often have warning signs and caution strips along the floor.

I often see that sort of thing in the parkades of condos and office buildings. As the parkade spirals down there will be a door half way up the wall that will connect to the electrical room or some room with large equipment. A truck can just drive down into the basement and lift the new equipment up into the big double doors.

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi
So I've got a mystery vent coming up from the floor in the laundry closet. Might be combustion air for the gas dryer? Let's take a look and see where the hose leads us...

I seem to have found the other end.

Welp, that solves the mystery of where the range hood was venting to.

Fresh laundry and charred steak: two great smells, together at last. FML

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

krysmopompas posted:

So I've got a mystery vent coming up from the floor in the laundry closet. Might be combustion air for the gas dryer? Let's take a look and see where the hose leads us...

I seem to have found the other end.

Welp, that solves the mystery of where the range hood was venting to.

Imagine I've posted a gif of a person's head exploding in confusion and disbelief.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Allow me.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Hahaha I hope it's a recent construction too.

Dr. Habibi
Sep 24, 2009

krysmopompas posted:

How else are you supposed to smell like a man? :colbert:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Wasabi the J posted:

An old surveillance method was to have someone patrol a long room or catwalk with one-way glass overlooking the store. You can sometimes see the glass in older, bigger stores. I can't find good pics, but this is what kind of view it would provide:

I'm wondering if this could be related.

Exactly. This store was originally a 1970s Albertsons, which had the entire back wall made of one way mirrors overlooking the store - with all the offices back there - along with the restrooms. There's now two tiny offices - a cash office, and the "HR/Manager Office" - and they're both at the front on the ground floor.

At one time, there was a complete 2nd story. When Wal-Mart built the place out, they removed a decent chunk of the 2nd floor and went with some super high end super efficient magic voodoo refrigeration equipment (standing in that room is like standing next to a few old fridges, instead of being deafened by 30 3 phase compressors - seriously, the footprint of all of the equipment is about like 4 household refrigerators).

Originally, I think the compressors were on the ground floor, as is the case in most grocery stores. The 2nd floor was entirely offices. Now what's left of the 2nd floor is bare concrete and lights, the compressor room (with the door to nowhere), and mostly abandoned displays.

I know this partly because I shopped at the place when it was an Albertsons, and partly because I interviewed with another Albertsons for a job, about the same age/layout, ages ago - I got a tour of the 2nd floor. Albertsons of those age placed the restrooms upstairs as well. The stairs are actually behind fire doors now (one is always propped open a little), with another set of fire doors just behind them. I guess they just like to pretend the upstairs doesn't exist.

Baronjutter posted:

Doors like that are really common for mechanical penthouses/lofts or what ever. It's usually a bigger door, but yeah it's just to make replacing the equipment up there easier. What I usually see on the other side though is a lack of hardware so you can't just accidentally open it thinking it's a normal door. If you want to open it you have to unlock it use a tool or re-install the hardware. They'll often have warning signs and caution strips along the floor.

I often see that sort of thing in the parkades of condos and office buildings. As the parkade spirals down there will be a door half way up the wall that will connect to the electrical room or some room with large equipment. A truck can just drive down into the basement and lift the new equipment up into the big double doors.

There used to be a complete second floor behind the scenes when it was an Albertsons. That was originally a closet or office of some sort.

Seeing the construction techniques used in some of the remodeling is downright scary. Load-bearing concrete walls just hacked out, with rebar still sticking out ready to draw blood, is a decent example.

There's no lock on the door at all. Just a piece of paper with a handwritten note stating "DO NOT OPEN" attached to the door with a piece of scotch tape. It opens just fine.

There's also no room to get any equipment through that area.

thespaceinvader posted:

But you'd think instead of a sign they might, i dunno, board the loving door over, at least on the inside. A sheet of OSB isn't exactly expensive, and a sheet of hardboard is a couple of dollars. Which is WAAAY cheaper than the bill when some fuckwit ignores the sign and your insurance laughs in your face.

Technically you have to go through a fire exit to even discover the second floor, but one of them is always propped open. The second floor seems to be largely forgotten - it's just concrete pillars/walls, the most basic of lighting, a loving shitload of cameras, and old displays/shelving units. I only found it because I saw a "emergency exit only" door propped open and stuck my head through, and decided to see where the stairs went.

I no longer work there though.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm honestly a lot more puzzled about the second door with the DO NOT CLOSE note.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Wait, so the fire exit leads to the second floor!?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Wait, so the fire exit leads to the second floor!?

The second floor has to have it's own fire exit, which is I'm sure what STR is referring to.

It is not at all uncommon in these situations to demo all access to the second floor from inside and use only the "fire escape" as access to whatever is up there providing it's just things like a mechanical room. I've even seen spaces like that rented out to different tenants with the fire escape as the only access since it's already separate/outside of the other space.

FYI, when I'm talking fire exit/escape, I'm talking about a fixed, permanent outdoor metal staircase. Not something with sliding ladders you'll see on 1940s apartment buildings in Manhattan.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Motronic posted:

The second floor has to have it's own fire exit, which is I'm sure what STR is referring to.

It is not at all uncommon in these situations to demo all access to the second floor from inside and use only the "fire escape" as access to whatever is up there providing it's just things like a mechanical room. I've even seen spaces like that rented out to different tenants with the fire escape as the only access since it's already separate/outside of the other space.

FYI, when I'm talking fire exit/escape, I'm talking about a fixed, permanent outdoor metal staircase. Not something with sliding ladders you'll see on 1940s apartment buildings in Manhattan.

Oh that makes more sense :downs:

So using the fire escape as the only exit is okay? I always thought you needed two exits or something like that. I guess a window counts?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

So using the fire escape as the only exit is okay? I always thought you needed two exits or something like that. I guess a window counts?

That depends on the occupancy. Anything with a single exit is limited to 50 people. Plenty of other things are likely to limit that further.

Calculating occupancy/means of egress is reasonably complicated when it comes down to things like width of doors and any obstructions in the vomitorium (my favorite building term - in code it's used to mean the area inside a bank of exit doors where other means of egress converge).

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Came across this sweet drywall job.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

GreenNight posted:

Came across this sweet drywall job.

I'll be honest, I'm far more intrigued by the poop cam.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Wouldn't want your toilet paper go missing.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Move over, German poop inspection toilet shelf, we're taking this thing to the next level.

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi

Equine Don posted:

Hahaha I hope it's a recent construction too.
2006!

After knocking out the tacky tile in the bathroom I noticed another problem:

Subfloor is pretty jacked:

As an added bonus, the soldering to the sink's plumbing was so weak that the vibration from hammering the tile caused them to break apart. (I carved everything attached through drywall out with a dremel and picked the rest off by hand, so it sure as hell wasn't my fault.) I needed the downstairs water to still work, so babby's first plumbing happened:

I'm not sure if I did it right, but it was stupidly easy and hasn't leaked a drop in 72 hours. If this holds up, I'm probably just going to redo the whole place in pex.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

What's the acceptable bend radius on pex of that diameter? I mean I'm sure it's fine, but if possible, I take measures to reduce couplings, such as those 90s you have in there. Like, a little shifting of where the joins are and I feel like you could pretty readily avoid both of those 90s, which is two possible leaks per.

But yeah, pex is awesome, pex forever.

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi

Bad Munki posted:

What's the acceptable bend radius on pex of that diameter? I mean I'm sure it's fine, but if possible, I take measures to reduce couplings, such as those 90s you have in there. Like, a little shifting of where the joins are and I feel like you could pretty readily avoid both of those 90s, which is two possible leaks per.

Bend radius: not enough. It's just a patch on top of the preexisting copper system so I'm really limited in terms of what I can do.

It's all throwaway work since I mostly did it to learn more about pex. When I get that terrible plywood wall pulled out and start putting the new walls in I'll be able to get a proper manifold system set up, or at the very least be able to optimize things a bit.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Is Pex really connected using hose clamps? I would have thought there was some sort of glue involved (I don't know anything about Pex).

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi

Leperflesh posted:

Is Pex really connected using hose clamps? I would have thought there was some sort of glue involved (I don't know anything about Pex).
They're not really typical hose clamps, it's a neat little system where you compress a tab and the tool is calibrated to not let go until the right amount of pressure is applied: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dR1CpG3vbY

I don't think there's any pex system that uses glue. There's copper crimp rings, push fit, expansion, and compression. I went with clamps since they only required one tool, they're easy to deal with in a small space, and I wasn't able to find evidence that they were any less reliable than any other method. The clamps are a bit more expensive, but that's not really a big issue in a small solo project like this.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Isn't the tool like, stupidly expensive?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Elendil004 posted:

My preferred method is with the copper rings. The compression tool I have was $120 and came with 1/2", 3/4" and 1" jaws as well as a go/no-go gauge.

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi

Elendil004 posted:

I'm just using the $70 sharkbite tool and it suits my needs. It's actually on Amazon for $31 right now if you're not in the middle of an emergency.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Motronic posted:

My preferred method is with the copper rings. The compression tool I have was $120 and came with 1/2", 3/4" and 1" jaws as well as a go/no-go gauge.

A similar setup is available at home depot for under 50 bucks.

I personally use something like this, it's great fit in tight spaces and one hand operation.
http://m.lowes.com/pd/Apollo-PEX-One-Hand-Cinch-Clamp-Tool/3396092

But according to my local plumbing supply, the copper rings are going away. ¼" wide crimp rings are OK but there are much better options
http://www.demseymfg.com/deep-drawn-stamping-stainless-steel-pex-crimp-rings.html

As far as radius question, you need roughly 9" to make a 90° bend with a ½" pipe. Also remember that if you kink a pex pipe, it's done. Don't straighten the kinked section and leave it inside the wall. Cut and replace, it's dirt cheap.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

OK well that all makes much more sense, thanks.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
The best way to bend PEX is with these doo-dads:

They'll let you keep the tightest radius of the pipe they're sized for and they help prevent kinks at the same time.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Motronic posted:

I use the Uponor pex expansion things, using This tool. It works sweet as gently caress, and I ended up getting the whole thing for like 130 with 3 batteries. Plus once they're in place they're 100% leak proof and giving you can eyeball all the fittings to check the crimp. If it has a compression sleeve and it's wedged into the T fully, it's good to go.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Bad Munki posted:

This is funny because it lasts what, 20 years before it's so brittle that it can't be touched?

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away

Splizwarf posted:

This is funny because it lasts what, 20 years before it's so brittle that it can't be touched?

I think you're thinking of polybutylene, which becomes brittle with exposure to chlorine. Cross linked polyethlene products like PEX are rather well known for their inertness. In my day job, there are many miles of polyethylene tubing that sees much, much more harsh chemistries for much longer periods of time that don't much care.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Looking into it, I appear to be thinking of the early versions of Pex. My bad, pretty tired.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Nitrox posted:

A similar setup is available at home depot for under 50 bucks.

I personally use something like this, it's great fit in tight spaces and one hand operation.
http://m.lowes.com/pd/Apollo-PEX-One-Hand-Cinch-Clamp-Tool/3396092

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

I use the Uponor pex expansion things, using This tool. It works sweet as gently caress, and I ended up getting the whole thing for like 130 with 3 batteries.

Both of these pex tools are much nicer than my 10 year old crusty poo poo and now I'm jealous. If I did more than the occasional thing around my house and for friends I'd upgrade.

Splizwarf posted:

While this is true of 20-30 year old plastic pipe (it was really, really horrible), the jury is still out on the new stuff. It's certainly aging much better, but I'm, not about to go betting on it. I'm happy enough to use it in my own home though, for what that's worth.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Also, it helps if it doesn't see the grim reaper of all plastics, UV.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I'm sticking with copper.

Don't mind PVC for drain lines, though.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Is there any functional drawback to copper lines at all? I get they're a bit harder to install what with brazing and all, and I'm sure they're more expensive than [insert plastic here], but other than that?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Fucknag posted:

Is there any functional drawback to copper lines at all? I get they're a bit harder to install what with brazing and all, and I'm sure they're more expensive than [insert plastic here], but other than that?

They also expand and contract more with hot/cold cycles, so your hot water copper piping is constantly moving a little bit which I bet puts wear and tear on all the joints and fittings and such.

On the other hand copper pipe is a conductor, which is great if you want to ground stuff to it. I suspect that if I ever wanted to replace all my piping with Pex, I'd have to re-wire the whole house at the same time.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
My family's house is about 95. I'm pretty sure there's more corrosion than copper at this point. It also sweats like crazy.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Copper is more labor-intensive, from prepping & cutting to shining the joints afterwards. The leaks I've dealt with, both personally & in a professional capacity, are usually due to corrosion related to failure to clean before soldering, or to remove acid flux later. Most of the 'mystery leaks' I've found in homes is due to flux. It may take years or decades, but it'll eat through...

In some areas, acidity is an issue, where pinhole leaks develop all over the place. Sometimes it's thinner 'M' pipe.

Properly installed, though, I've seen it 60-years on and quite robust, even though it's life expectancy averages about 40.

PEX (may it truly hold up over time; polybutylene was a disaster) does offer two distinct advantages: it's flexible, so you can sneak it through and around areas that would require tear-out otherwise; and it requires no heat to install. My neighbor is sorta beta-testing it in his unheated garage...it seems to resist bursting when frozen.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Dec 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
PEX will put up with freezing much better than copper. I've seen a rehab job, where new pex lines were ran though uninsulated exterior walls and while completely frozen, were able to recover without a hickup. Repeatedly, all winter long. The copper pipes ended up leaking in 3 separate places, although to their credit, they were at least 40 years old.

However, I've seen a pex line casually resting on a copper coolant line for hvac compressor. It took about 3 summers for it to break down and bubble up in a really weird manner, developing a pinhole leak.

Here is another issue with PEX that nobody talks about. Rodents loving love chewing on hot lines. Especially in winter, when squirrels, chipmunks and raccoons are hiding in your crawl space/attic. I've seen about a dozen of those in the last 3-4 years.

My pet peeve is how callous people tend to be with this stuff. General contractors are just shoving PEX everywhere now, at really hosed up angles, unsupported and unstapled. And of course they use push in connectors at every opportunity.

Leperflesh posted:

They also expand and contract more with hot/cold cycles, so your hot water copper piping is constantly moving a little bit which I bet puts wear and tear on all the joints and fittings and such.

On the other hand copper pipe is a conductor, which is great if you want to ground stuff to it. I suspect that if I ever wanted to replace all my piping with Pex, I'd have to re-wire the whole house at the same time.
I ditched all my iron and copper plumbing in favor of a manifold setup and it took about 30 minutes to properly ground the electrical panel. Don't sweat it. 2 rods in the ground 6' apart is all you need in 200A residential.

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Dec 2, 2014