Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Gorilla Salad posted:

If this sword is biblically old, wouldn't it have been made from bronze?

It's a magic demon slaying sword. Needing to slay demons is a great motivation to invent steel. Could be a meteorite fragment 1-off of steel too, meteor fragments are great for making magic swords.

Or, or, it could be a magic sword. It could be that the magic sword (and the whole illusion chamber) was tuned to show you what you think a sword ought to look like. The kind of sword you are most likely to know how to use. So Crane pulls out a steel longsword, because that's what he is familiar with.

Really, once you buy into the premise of "magic sword" the possibilities are endless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
I was expecting Ichabod to pull a Perseus after he trapped the gorgon head. Pull it out and use it as a weapon. Especially since Abraham had eyes to look on it at the time.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Angela Christine posted:

The kind of sword you are most likely to know how to use. So Crane pulls out a steel longsword, because that's what he is familiar with.

I'd think someone like Crane, from his time period, would be most familiar with a military sabre. Or perhaps a fencing sword, like a rapier.

What I wonder is, there are all these artifacts of religious power, and ideas like consecrated ground or blessed weapons, but are there any actual agents of divinity? Moloch and his demonic cohorts exist, but is there a divine counterpart?

To Supernatural's credit, they actually introduced angel characters, and they're essentially apocryphal Old Testament-style ones who are violent, capricious dicks. Though, that cosmology is weird, because God is basically dead and angels and demons are self-policing.

Sleepy Hollow is a world where Judeo-Christian mythos objectively exists. But apparently God and angels couldn't really be bothered to address the oncoming apocalypse...either because they can't, or because they don't care. Either are interesting ideas to explore.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

Xealot posted:

I'd think someone like Crane, from his time period, would be most familiar with a military sabre. Or perhaps a fencing sword, like a rapier.

What I wonder is, there are all these artifacts of religious power, and ideas like consecrated ground or blessed weapons, but are there any actual agents of divinity? Moloch and his demonic cohorts exist, but is there a divine counterpart?

To Supernatural's credit, they actually introduced angel characters, and they're essentially apocryphal Old Testament-style ones who are violent, capricious dicks. Though, that cosmology is weird, because God is basically dead and angels and demons are self-policing.

Sleepy Hollow is a world where Judeo-Christian mythos objectively exists. But apparently God and angels couldn't really be bothered to address the oncoming apocalypse...either because they can't, or because they don't care. Either are interesting ideas to explore.

Isn't that the point of the whole "witness" angle? Abbie and Ichabod are the agents of divinity, they just don't get direct orders from God.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Binary Logic posted:

A shofar, a gorgon seen via smartphone camera, a glimpse of Moloch, a hidden magical sword, socks dipped in pitchblack to make torches...this episode was so freakin' entertaining.

Yeah. Good to see more of Abraham back in his with head and being alive days.

Considering how devious Walter Bish Henry is, I said to my other half when Katrina stopped using the mirror, "I wonder if the mirror has 'last number called'?" and it did.

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

I was expecting Ichabod to pull a Perseus after he trapped the gorgon head. Pull it out and use it as a weapon. Especially since Abraham had eyes to look on it at the time.
That may happen yet.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Xealot posted:

Maybe because the world is supposed to end? I'm no expert, but from what I remember of Sunday School, there are plenty of christians gleefully waiting for the end of the world. The bad guys are supposed to rise up and and basically take over, and then Big Daddy is all "LOL, punked" and everything is wonderful forever.

This could have been going on for thousands of years. Every few decades a major demon starts getting his crew together to Do the Apocalypse, the forces of heaven get all ready to launch eternal paradise, and then some meddling humans foil the demon's plan and the whole thing has to reset.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such
I forgot how fun this show is without Hawley dudeing it up.

Didn't they show Irving going to town with a magic sword in his vision of the apocalypse? I'm still a little upset that they've moved away from the American mythology angle and focused more on other stuff, but I loved Liar In Chief.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Angela Christine posted:

This could have been going on for thousands of years. Every few decades a major demon starts getting his crew together to Do the Apocalypse, the forces of heaven get all ready to launch eternal paradise, and then some meddling humans foil the demon's plan and the whole thing has to reset.

That sounds hilariously awesome

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Xealot posted:

plainswalker75 posted:

Isn't that the point of the whole "witness" angle? Abbie and Ichabod are the agents of divinity, they just don't get direct orders from God.

Last season there was an 'immortal' priest who stood up to Abraham...and promptly had his head cut off. So they shouldn't waste too much time looking or hoping for divine intervention.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Well, he was a witch.

They probably don't have angels or any higher power avatars right now because they want Ichabod and Abbie to be more on the defensive.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Asehujiko posted:

Shame that they didn't have Ichabod figure out the puzzle and notice that all of the swords on display were too modern.
It seemed odd that they were presented with a puzzle based around historical and mystical lore, but the actual history professor with a specialization in the occult decided that he should to leave the room so that the policewoman can work that bit out by herself.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Robot Hobo posted:

It seemed odd that they were presented with a puzzle based around historical and mystical lore, but the actual history professor with a specialization in the occult decided that he should to leave the room so that the policewoman can work that bit out by herself.

That was odd, but I'm willing to give Ich a pass since he was under stress and faced with he old buddy/betrayer/avatar of evil in the next room. Their history does make him a much better distraction than Abby.

Plus Abby is a girl. He knows she is a trained police officer and he respects her, but there has to be part of him that believes that as a man and a soldier it is his job to protect women when it comes to a physical altercation. He's amazingly flexible all things considered, but he's still basically an old fashioned guy.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
The sword was made in Old Valyria with forging techniques that have been long lost to time.

Croisquessein posted:

I'm still a little upset that they've moved away from the American mythology angle and focused more on other stuff, but I loved Liar In Chief.

These ham-fisted obama critiques are getting a little out of hand.

Frostwerks fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Nov 26, 2014

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Angela Christine posted:

Maybe because the world is supposed to end? I'm no expert, but from what I remember of Sunday School, there are plenty of christians gleefully waiting for the end of the world. The bad guys are supposed to rise up and and basically take over, and then Big Daddy is all "LOL, punked" and everything is wonderful forever.

That'll be reserved for the "Wheel of Time" TV series

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Azhais posted:

That'll be reserved for the "Wheel of Time" TV series

That show would be thirteen seasons of braid tugging and skirt smoothing before an epic final season.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Angela Christine posted:

That was odd, but I'm willing to give Ich a pass since he was under stress and faced with he old buddy/betrayer/avatar of evil in the next room. Their history does make him a much better distraction than Abby.

This is true, but I actually think it would have been really cool if the fact of his greater occult knowledge had won out, and we had gotten an Abby/Abraham scene. We've never had one besides the times she's fought him as the Horseman, and while they may not have the history that Abe has with Ichabod, she is a Witness and he is a Horseman. They're arch-enemies, and I would have liked a showdown between them.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

So, bigger issues, Ichabod wears his hair down now?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
not using the Gorgon's head to turn Abraham into a statue, was poor planning.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Angela Christine posted:

Plus Abby is a girl. He knows she is a trained police officer and he respects her, but there has to be part of him that believes that as a man and a soldier it is his job to protect women when it comes to a physical altercation. He's amazingly flexible all things considered, but he's still basically an old fashioned guy.

See, I didn't take it that way at all. Ichabod is an old fashioned guy, yes, but more importantly, he is an honorable guy. Abraham is his enemy. The two of them are basically in present time because of each other. I saw the scene as Ichabod being unwilling to let Abby fight his nemesis, who is the literal horseman of Death, while he has beat left in his body. He's not the type to let other people fight his battles for him. He's already torn up about Katrina, can you imagine the guilt if Abraham had smashed in the door holding Abby's head?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

spookygonk posted:

So, bigger issues, Ichabod wears his hair down now?

He's been doing that all season.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
I loved this episode. I'm a sucker for the "multiple factions hunting for an artifact" genre. And Greek mythology. And the incredibly stupid, whimsical American history/biblical/occult stuff mashup that makes up this show.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

"We have something they didn't. Each other."

:barf: Is this a Disney after school special?

While sappy, I think it went with the theme of the episode. Which is that a person's identity is not entirely self-determined, and to "know thyself" also means to be able to see yourself the way others perceive you. Characters spent the whole episode arguing with each other over who was responsible for the major decisions in their lives. The monster was a gorgon, traditionally defeated by holding a mirror up to them; merely looking into a mirror brings self-destruction. In this case they use Abraham's non-eyes to defeat the Gorgon and avoid destruction via "seeing" through someone else. Then this culminates with Crane saying to Abbie that he sees himself most clearly through her. Being able to pull up the sword by doing it together proves that whatever supernatural stuff put the sword there agrees with that interpretation of identity. Interesting stuff I think, though it probably would have came off better if the show wasn't hellbent on being ridiculous. But that's how it's gotta be.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I was expecting that latest episode to tease the other horsemen again

My big problem is I prefer Jeremy Owens scenes as Death, just stomping around with those crazy loud footsteps and shotgun

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I love that Headless has permanently added a shotgun and a bandoleer of shells to his 18th-century Redcoat uniform.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

The MSJ posted:

I love that Headless has permanently added a shotgun and a bandoleer of shells to his 18th-century Redcoat uniform.

I fondly remember the premiere of this show, when it was roundly dismissed as some lame attempt to cash in on the fantasy fad at the time, until the point where the Horseman rode up with a shotgun and started blasting away.

Something happened that night, when a potentially mediocre genre show crossed from "maybe cult favorite down the line" to "holy poo poo this show is amazing"

So yes, the Horseman keeps his shotgun because that is what pays the bills.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
For real though, it would be really cool if they wrapped up the Abraham arc this season and went back to Death just roaming around all headless and badass

wormil posted:

I need more Franklinstein and headless Headless Horseman (preferably strapped with machine guns).

this guy gets it :hfive:

bobkatt013 posted:

Two will have a connection with witness 1 and the other two with witness 2. Irving and Jenny are the others.

not convinced on Jenny but yeah Irving most definetely

Valeyard fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Nov 27, 2014

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Metropolis posted:

While sappy, I think it went with the theme of the episode. Which is that a person's identity is not entirely self-determined, and to "know thyself" also means to be able to see yourself the way others perceive you... In this case they use Abraham's non-eyes to defeat the Gorgon and avoid destruction via "seeing" through someone else...
So is Abraham's lack of eyes also a nod (metaphorical, he can't actually nod) to his inability for self-reflection? He can't be turned away from his evil ways because he is utterly sure he's in the right, and that getting revenge on Ichabod for stealing Katrina away from him is worth absolutely anything. It was in the cave that he really confirmed that, when part of the season's plot has been questioning whether anyone from Team Moloch can be redeemed.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Abraham should take his problems to E/N Forum: Friendzoned by real witch and became Horseman of the Apocalypse. Should I seek revenge or try POF?

Okay, to say something about the ep: the writing is interesting the way history professor Crane interprets a clue and looks for patterns in history and mythology (a reference to a snake launches into a lecture about Ouroboros) vs. Lt. Mills more literal understanding while looking for clues and she spots the snake-inlaid hatch in the ground.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Nov 30, 2014

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Wonder when we will see the next seal pop up

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Thanks to Verizon and Cox, if you've got FIOS and are in the Boston metro area, you're not watching Sleepy Hollow tonight since WFXT is blacked out due to carrier disputes. Grumble. :mad:

Unless you dig out an antenna, I suppose.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
So are we stopping for the holidays or is it going to play right through?

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
Tonight is the mid-season finale. Presumably it'll start up again sometime in January or so.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

johntfs posted:

Tonight is the mid-season finale. Presumably it'll start up again sometime in January or so.

In that case I am hoping for an appearance of another seal, or, the Kindred

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Ichabod wants a motorcycle, of course.

Vicodiva
Sep 27, 2012
Wants: Bike

Starts: Sons of Liberty MC

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Hmm yep swords do beat axes, it checks out.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Apparently Horseman of Death doesn't mean poo poo when facing that sword.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
drat. That's bad rear end.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Hope Crane's good at charades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Yes - hey man with no head, tell me what I want to know! Speak up now...

This show has great cold opens.

• Locked thread