Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghost of Eazy E
Feb 4, 2013

WANTED: BREAD OR ALIVE

I love the names of npcs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double riveting
Jul 5, 2013

look at them go
So I found out the hard way that apparently you have to pay your own bounty when you get shot down now. :toot:
I have to rethink my business strategy.

Also, I hear there is a bug right now that authorities will still shoot you for your dormant bounty, so uh, don't get scanned I guess.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Well, I guess nobody's going to be reaching the far side of the galaxy any time soon. :catstare:

Sounds like a challenge!

Honestly there are going to be some pretty amazing challenges out there for explorers/travelers to tackle:

1. Far side of the galaxy from civilized space
2. Far-outer edge of the galaxy (anywhere, presumably directly out from civilization)
3. Furthest out-and-up(/down) for the best view of the galaxy
4. First circumnavigation
5. First to reach the galactic center

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
16 more days boys! :gethype:

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp
I'm looking forward to whatever content patch they push out for release. Hopefully they don't do what they did with Gamma, the 1.0 changelog was just sad.

Rotation Confusion
Jul 13, 2012

It's harder than it looks

Frank Horrigan posted:

I'm looking forward to whatever content patch they push out for release. Hopefully they don't do what they did with Gamma, the 1.0 changelog was just sad.

Why would you expect a content patch at release? There might be multiplayer stuff there, but they've said they're working on stability and multiplayer. If you're expecting something else on the 16th you're just disappointing yourself.

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp

Rotation Confusion posted:

If you're expecting something [...] you're just disappointing yourself.

E:D in a nutshell.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Is Gamma their code name for Release Candidate?

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer
Started up Gamma for the first time briefly the other day and man, they made some of the UI a lot prettier. Still needs some work, which will hopefully happen before release.

I know that some people on the official forums started some "explorers club" to do some big voyage to uncharted space and while that sounds like a dumb nerdy thing to plan and make a website around, after seeing the scale of the galaxy vs how much is actually populated, it sounds like it would be kinda cool to keep track of :ohdear:

peter gabriel posted:

Yup. It's basically a preview build for people who've backed since Beta and before.

Rotation Confusion
Jul 13, 2012

Frank Horrigan posted:

E:D in a nutshell.

if you go around saying "i hope they X" where X is something they specifically said they aren't doing, or is pretty obviously outside intent, or is something they've said they're going to get to but not yet: Yes, that is ED in a nutshell. Also: this thread in a nutshell.

peter gabriel posted:

yes

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

peter gabriel posted:

Pretty much. Gamma was supposed to be final testing for release/headstart kind of thing. Headstart got squashed early on, and I'd hope they don't just drop a bunch of untested content on release day.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
It just strikes me as odd how many people on their forums are basically saying that the game 'isn't finished' and 'wait til release' as rebuttals to any kind of critique of the game.

Edit: Having said that I find their forums odd, period really :lol:

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Is the game missing a fair number of "game" elements? Yeah.

Is the game and its galaxy a truly remarkable technical achievement? Holy poo poo yeah.

If you don't find it fun right now try it again in a few months maybe?

Obviously there are a number of issues (some of which annoy the hell out of me, some of which I don't care about but many of you do) but it isn't like this is a full MMO and you're going to "fall behind" by waiting.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

peter gabriel posted:

It just strikes me as odd how many people on their forums are basically saying that the game 'isn't finished' and 'wait til release' as rebuttals to any kind of critique of the game.

Edit: Having said that I find their forums odd, period really :lol:

Welcome to any kickstarter critique retort ever. And yeah, the forums are...interesting.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Kenshin posted:

Is the game missing a fair number of "game" elements? Yeah.

Is the game and its galaxy a truly remarkable technical achievement? Holy poo poo yeah.

If you don't find it fun right now try it again in a few months maybe?

Obviously there are a number of issues (some of which annoy the hell out of me, some of which I don't care about but many of you do) but it isn't like this is a full MMO and you're going to "fall behind" by waiting.

Don't get me wrong, I don't care, I'm having fun, whatever will be will be as far as I am concerned, getting upset and stuff is for other people, there are folk with much more invested in this game than I'll ever have, both financially and emotionally.

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Welcome to any kickstarter critique retort ever. And yeah, the forums are...interesting.

They are a crazy read alright, you got guys who played in 1984 clinging to the past and not wanting ANY new features and then dudes from Eve popping in all like 'SO GUYZ WHERES DA FUCKIN PVP AT' and it's a fascinating clash of cultures.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

peter gabriel posted:

Don't get me wrong, I don't care, I'm having fun, whatever will be will be as far as I am concerned, getting upset and stuff is for other people, there are folk with much more invested in this game than I'll ever have, both financially and emotionally.

Pretty much this.

I'm going to play long enough to get into a Python and max out it's jump range and then I'm going to slap a fuel scoop on it and see what the hell happens as I point to the other side of the galaxy and just go.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747
They do the same in this very thread. See: Rotation Confusion.

Basically, "release" in this case means that they'll bump the price $10 and possibly actually put it out to the third-party retailers that they keep talking about (speaking of how is this not even on Steam yet? Are they just relying on word of mouth and affiliate marketing?). They're doing what can best be described as an early-access thing-development will be ongoing, etc etc. The game's obviously not even close to finished yet.

LCL-Dead posted:

Pretty much this.

I'm going to play long enough to get into a Python and max out it's jump range and then I'm going to slap a fuel scoop on it and see what the hell happens as I point to the other side of the galaxy and just go.

Nothing. You'll see a bunch of cool-looking systems that will end up all looking alike after a while, because procedural generation is a great tool but doesn't lend itself to much variety. It's the one thing that has me kinda :psyduck: over the whole thing-PG is amazing when used right, but you don't base the entire design on it. See: SOL/Lave, etc.

Naturally Selected fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Dec 1, 2014

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Naturally Selected posted:

They do the same in this very thread. See: Rotation Confusion.

Basically, "release" in this case means that they'll bump the price $10 and possibly actually put it out to the third-party retailers that they keep talking about (speaking of how is this not even on Steam yet? Are they just relying on word of mouth and affiliate marketing?). They're doing what can best be described as an early-access thing-development will be ongoing, etc etc. The game's obviously not even close to finished yet.

This is where the split happens on their forums as far as I can tell, you have people who believe that this IS feature complete and they say 'This is Elite - deal with it' and then people saying it is unfinished and to 'Wait for release'.

People on all sides seem to agree that we need more multiplayer features though, so hopefully Frontier hear that and respond well. I would like to have all the MMO quality of life stuff that we take for granted these days in Elite, the MMO genre was born after the original Elite really and has matured and had growing pains along the way. Frontier could benefit from all that without actually changing what Elite is at its core. Things like Auction Houses, chat, bank slots, a daily mission or two to help out if you are really boned etc - but some people see anything to do with MMOs as Kryptonite or something.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
Hello, I can't find the info anywhere, but at the very least the new content dropping on release day will be missions related to the empire's ascension crisis as their current leader falls ill.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Antoine Silvere posted:

Started up Gamma for the first time briefly the other day and man, they made some of the UI a lot prettier. Still needs some work, which will hopefully happen before release.

I know that some people on the official forums started some "explorers club" to do some big voyage to uncharted space and while that sounds like a dumb nerdy thing to plan and make a website around, after seeing the scale of the galaxy vs how much is actually populated, it sounds like it would be kinda cool to keep track of :ohdear:

Yup. It's basically a preview build for people who've backed since Beta and before.

Hey man I'd be down for some exploring. Need to save up for an asp or something though.

Rotation Confusion
Jul 13, 2012

peter gabriel posted:

A lot of that is people having emotionally committed to both the game and to features they want and suspending disappointment until "release" because their pet feature might make it in. It's one of the three classic game nerd responses to hype:

1. Buy into the hype and be sure this game will provide everything you think is cool
2. Instantly pick something that is "wrong" and spend all your time raging about how it is bad design or stupid or just evil
3. Concern troll constantly about how it could be good if only X where X is probably irrelevant to intent or design

Oddly in elite there's a lot less #1 than I'd expected, but again there's way more #2 than I'd expected so maybe that's where it all went this time. I suppose that might be because of the kickstarter element, but am not sure.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

A lot of that is people having emotionally committed to both the game and to features they want and suspending disappointment until "release" because their pet feature might make it in. It's one of the three classic game nerd responses to hype:

1. Buy into the hype and be sure this game will provide everything you think is cool
2. Instantly pick something that is "wrong" and spend all your time raging about how it is bad design or stupid or just evil
3. Concern troll constantly about how it could be good if only X where X is probably irrelevant to intent or design

Oddly in elite there's a lot less #1 than I'd expected, but again there's way more #2 than I'd expected so maybe that's where it all went this time. I suppose that might be because of the kickstarter element, but am not sure.

From their forums it's hard to judge because there are literally like 5 posters on each side who post and post and post about the same stuff.

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp

speaking of how is this not even on Steam yet? Are they just relying on word of mouth and affiliate marketing?[/spoiler]

Braben seems pretty opposed to the idea of releasing on Steam. He's said outright that it's not going to happen, someone pressed him on the subject in an interview, and he just went on about some "we have to control the backend" poo poo. :shrug:

Rotation Confusion
Jul 13, 2012

Being on steam just forces a rev share and puts you on an unstoppable treadmill of deals/sales. Unless you're a tiny studio with no buzz, I don't know why you'd willingly use it.

That's not to say that it can't work at all. If Elite was going to be on it, it'd be $20-30 and have a monthly fee to work around both of those negative impacts. They want to avoid the monthly fee, so getting on that sale treadmill is a terrible idea.

Rotation Confusion fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Dec 1, 2014

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp

Being on steam just forces a rev share and puts you on an unstoppable treadmill of deals/sales. Unless you're a tiny studio with no buzz, I don't know why you'd willingly use it.

Because it's the biggest PC games market in existence. By several magnitudes.

Rotation Confusion
Jul 13, 2012

Frank Horrigan posted:

Because it's the biggest PC games market in existence. By several magnitudes.

And android is a much bigger market than iOS and guess how the actual game profitability breaks down between the two markets. Market size is only a single factor, and all the other ones in Steam participation are bad.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

grilldos posted:

Hello, I can't find the info anywhere, but at the very least the new content dropping on release day will be missions related to the empire's ascension crisis as their current leader falls ill.

Sweet, sounds like my pilgrimage to Empire space is a good idea then.

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp

And android is a much bigger market than iOS and guess how the actual game profitability breaks down between the two markets

Apples and oranges. Android profitability is lower due to rampant piracy, but that's really a discussion for another thread.

Sammich
Sep 30, 2012

I mean, what else am I gonna do? I sit up here and I read the labels. Light goes on... Light goes off... That's pretty much my day.

Zsinjeh posted:

You'll have to manually plot your course in the general direction their until you get close enough to have the waypoints working.

Like hell.
http://cmdr.club

But, to be completely honest, the nav database isn't exactly robust yet. Consider charting the way to Jotunheim a metagame! That's how I forgive the lack of a good course plotting feature, anyhow.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Nothing. You'll see a bunch of cool-looking systems that will end up all looking alike after a while, because procedural generation is a great tool but doesn't lend itself to much variety. It's the one thing that has me kinda :psyduck: over the whole thing-PG is amazing when used right, but you don't base the entire design on it. See: SOL/Lave, etc

While true, it doesn't exactly stop me from wanting to putt around out there just to see how far I can go before I wind up like that other guy a few pages back, drifting in space as my little penis extension slowly turns into a block of ice.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

And android is a much bigger market than iOS and guess how the actual game profitability breaks down between the two markets. Market size is only a single factor, and all the other ones in Steam participation are bad.

No, you're right. The best way to get your game out there is through Affiliate loving Marketing. I know you're the thread white knight, but seriously man-this is not the hill to fight on. If Steam is literally that bad, then why the gently caress does even Ubisoft release on it? It's a game of numbers-and 100% of 10 will always be less than 50% of 100.

E: Edited out a bunch of numbers poo poo, Ernie is right.

Naturally Selected fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Dec 1, 2014

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!
i really can't get enough of nerds arguing over the financial minutia of running video game companies

Rotation Confusion
Jul 13, 2012

No, you're right. The best way to get your game out there is through Affiliate loving Marketing. I know you're the thread white knight, but seriously man-this is not the hill to fight on. If Steam is literally that bad, then why the gently caress does even Ubisoft release on it? It's a game of numbers-and 100% of 10 will always be less than 50% of 100.

Now now, I'm not the thread white knight. I'm the bad ideas police. They look similar to you because all your posts are bad, but they aren't quite the same thing.

In this case, you're arguing about how they're doing the thing wrong with no access to their data and by making up proportional numbers that make no sense, with a huge counter example just sitting on the ground (EA has pulled off Steam) and using a really terrible active example (Ubisoft is obviously prepping to pull off steam or they wouldn't require their terrible store logins for stuff they sell on it).

Running with an advocacy program is just 100% normal "let's pick favored youtube/twitch/review amateurs and get them onto a treadmill of good buzz" and I'm not sure why you think it's odd. I doubt you know.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This is the most awful thread

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Let's be honest the majority of people who are the audience for this type of game aren't going to need to discover it in Steam to find out about it.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Now now, I'm not the thread white knight. I'm the bad ideas police. They look similar to you because all your posts are bad, but they aren't quite the same thing.

In this case, you're arguing about how they're doing the thing wrong with no access to their data and by making up proportional numbers that make no sense, with a huge counter example just sitting on the ground (EA has pulled off Steam) and using a really terrible active example (Ubisoft is obviously prepping to pull off steam or they wouldn't require their terrible store logins for stuff they sell on it).

Running with an advocacy program is just 100% normal "let's pick favored youtube/twitch/review amateurs and get them onto a treadmill of good buzz" and I'm not sure why you think it's odd. I doubt you know.

UPlay, Ubisoft's launcher/market program, has been around for over a year now. I don't think they're really going to pull off of steam because every steam sale means another mandatory download of their proprietary software and more chances of people buying games directly from them, versus buying through the third party.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

My only problem right now is that I've come up against the wall of "mine or trade or gtfo" in terms of hull upgrades. Like, I've kitted out my Cobra. All that's left is... grind a trade route with a Type-6 in order to get an Asp, or grind mining in order to get an Asp. Neither of those things really appeals to me. :smith:

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales

speaking of how is this not even on Steam yet?

Will you launch the game on Steam?

David Braben: No. We've got to support the game with our own back end anyway, so I don't see the benefit of it.

Well, I would suggest the benefit is 100m users, which is a huge potential audience.

David Braben: Yes, that's true. It's something we would look at, but it would have to then interface with what we're doing, and the two would potentially conflict. We have to provide the back end.

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said
Here's hoping Peter Gabriel has another story for us soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Wanker
Dec 31, 2008
So im trying to update the OP to be Gamma-worthy.

I want to include some info about joysticks, and i was wondering what the general recommendations are.
Are saitek X-52 and Thrustmaster HOTAS the best/recommended ones?

I remember someone recommending a slightly cheaper stick that also held up well.

Also let me know if you have any additional info/links that should be in the op, or if you have any cool screenshots/videos/whatever that's OP-worthy.

• Locked thread