Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

bobmarleysghost posted:

Someone should do this test.
I've done it before. Two stops under you completely lose the shadows and things get muddy. Two stops over you might lose some highlights, but it's nearly identical to the correctly exposed shot. Haven't tried it at 3 over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

ExecuDork posted:

Did you cross-post this anywhere else? Given the list of signatory countries to the Antarctic Treaty and the Arts Fellowship program's mandate...

... this would probably fit into a couple of threads in Creative Convention.

Antarctica is awesome and I really want to go. This program is for non-scientists, I am a scientist and I'll figure out a different way to get there. Lots of you are artists, though, and should apply.

Only posted in the dorkroom. I'm sure there's squillions of applicants, thought I'd let some of you talented film shooters have a chance should you choose.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Portra 400 is king. It's not like I didn't know that before, but every time I see a test it gets me excited.

Grimarest
Jan 28, 2009

I'm noobish as hell but how do you get a correctly exposed pic @ iso 12000 with a 400 film? Did he just set the meter to 12000 and shot away, got a really underexposed pic since he didn't push and brought the exposure back up in Lr?

Thegrul
Oct 27, 2013

Grimarest posted:

I'm noobish as hell but how do you get a correctly exposed pic @ iso 12000 with a 400 film? Did he just set the meter to 12000 and shot away, got a really underexposed pic since he didn't push and brought the exposure back up in Lr?

I'm pretty sure that's just straight shot at 12800 and developed at 400. No lightroom trickery necessary.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

The "lightroom trickery" would be using https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_qeZOWqchM to process it (you'd have a narrower band of color information) before taking it into any other program.

Grimarest
Jan 28, 2009

Thegrul posted:

I'm pretty sure that's just straight shot at 12800 and developed at 400. No lightroom trickery necessary.

It still weirds me out that the shadows are that good. I bought two rolls today to test it out.

Hail portra

Breadnought
Aug 25, 2009

Grimarest posted:

Hail Satan

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
I've borrowed a 6x12 camera off a friend for the upcoming southern voyage. I have a bunch of velvia 50, 100 and provia. The 6x12 camera is built to be shot at infinity at f/16-f/22.

Velvia 50 is going to be a bit slow to be shooting from the moving ship at those speeds... How well does it do pushed to 100? I have shitloads of 50 and not so much 100.

On the note of the razzle, there was another member here that was asking about Dean saying they had an order with him or something and hadn't heard from him for a while. Can't remember who it was but I found out a few days ago that he sadly passed away a couple of weeks ago.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Sludge Tank posted:

I found out a few days ago that he sadly passed away a couple of weeks ago.

That sucks.

Thegrul
Oct 27, 2013

Grimarest posted:

It still weirds me out that the shadows are that good. I bought two rolls today to test it out.

Hail portra

Yeah, after seeing that test I'm off to buy some, too.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I'm having a somewhat frustrating day developing film here. Rolls 5 & 6 - Ilford Delta 100 - are in the tank right now. Roll 1 & 2 - Ilford Pan F+ - came out very nicely. Rolls 3 & 4 - Adox CHS 25 - were a disaster.

To start with, the film didn't want to go onto my nice wide-flange Patterson plastic reels, the first roll got crumpled and was sticking out of the spiral at about the halfway point of winding it on. I tried it on the other reel - they were both a bit damp from the previous round of developing - but it crumpled again at about 3/4. So I had the bright idea (not a bright idea) to switch to my Hawes stainless reels & tank.

A bit of fumbling in the bathroom and I had both rolls on both reels and inside the Hawes. I'd spent some time looking up dev times and film handling; the Adox website for this film talks about temperatures and says not to use acidic stop bath, just water. I had what I thought was a decent plan for the process, and I started by rinsing the film in the tank. First slosh out was purple, second was blue, then in went the developer for 6 minutes. I'm using Ilfosol 3 at 1+14, which does not appear on the Massive Dev chart for that film. I find my film comes out a little on the low side for contrast, generally, so I though 6 minutes would be erring on the side of too-long, thus a bit higher contrast.

None of that mattered. I rinsed for 10 minutes, added photoflo and waited another couple of minutes, then went to hang my film in the bathroom. The liquid that came off of the heavily crumpled rolls was blue, the rolls were a mess of film squished against film on the rolls, and basically it was a total failure caused by my inability to use those Hawes reels. I know other people love them, but I just can't do it right.

Ugh. So I'm doing the next two rolls on the plastic because I'm trying to wash the taste of failure out of my mouth. So far, so good - and I'm leaning towards giving credit to Ilford for part of this. Ilford film is expensive, I think I paid around $7/roll for the Ilford but down near $4.50 for the Adox, and part of the difference is the quality of the plastic film used; I think the Ilford stuff is thicker and less prone to popping out of the plastic reels during spool-on. Given that a bad spool-on basically destroys the roll for me, I think I'll pay a couple of extra bucks to avoid this catastrophic failure mode.

Also, a pre-develop rinse of the Ilford films results in clear water, not the bright colours of other films.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

ExecuDork posted:

Also, a pre-develop rinse of the Ilford films results in clear water, not the bright colours of other films.

The color that comes out is (usually) antihalation coating and it's totally fine and not something you need to be worried about. Also, why are you doing a prewash at all? It's totally unnecessary and, in fact, contraindicated for some film/developer combinations.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS
Anyone play with those tungston films? They look fairly interesting.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
/\/\/\ I am also interested in responses to this - I've got a roll of E-6 160T I need to shoot. I was planning to put it in my P&S and shoot a day or two of just indoors stuff.

MrBlandAverage posted:

The color that comes out is (usually) antihalation coating and it's totally fine and not something you need to be worried about. Also, why are you doing a prewash at all? It's totally unnecessary and, in fact, contraindicated for some film/developer combinations.
I dunno, felt like it I guess. Not my best answer. I remembered it from the instructions when I did a C-41 kit a long time ago, different films produced different colours in the pre-wash - green for most Fuji films I did that day, as I recall.

Pre-wash is not mentioned in the instructions I have for my tank & reels, but the description for the Adox film says 120 and sheet should be prewashed, but nothing about 135 (which is what I was doing). :downs:

In any case, none of the details that normally matter for developing discussions were of any importance at all, given my terribly clumsy spool-on.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

I had the same problems with some Adox 100 speed in 120 format the other week, it took at least 25min to get the drat thing on the reel. I very much think the plastic substrate Adox use is all to blame, thin and very bendable.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
It's things like this that make me consider the idea of buying Adox and Foma and Shanghai film to be false economy. All of my B&W is either Ilford or Fuji Acros and I've never had any problems with development.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.
Yeah Foma is loving garbage but for the life of me every time I think I have spooling any film in any format onto my wide-flange reels down, they find a new way to make my life difficult.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

I've only really had a problem with Foma and Adox's 120 films, and their ability to bend and crumple when loading onto reels. Foma's 35mm and 4x5 have been pretty solid for me, just be careful when they're wet and they're all good.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Spedman posted:

I've only really had a problem with Foma and Adox's 120 films, and their ability to bend and crumple when loading onto reels. Foma's 35mm and 4x5 have been pretty solid for me, just be careful when they're wet and they're all good.

I especially don't know why anyone would shoot Foma in 4x5. The emulsion is delicate as hell, and when one shoots at f/22 and beyond, needing a full stop of reciprocity correction by the time you hit 1s metered is an awful hindrance. It's not worth the aggravation.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

I've never had problems with damaging the emulsion with 4x5 Foma, I've been using 8x10 X-ray film with double sided emulsion and had no problems with that either, using a HUGE changing bag probably helps. :shrug:

I don't think I've ever tried long exposures with Foma, I like pushing it like you would push Tri-X, and it always comes out with really cool results, and a fairly thick negative to boot.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
I have tried a couple of long exposures with foma. Have been pleasantly surprised.

I've only shot foma sheet on 8x10 and have gotten bad scratching from the cl81, I now have some 8x10 ilford so will be able to see how the scratching compares between the two emulsions on this processing reel.

But I hate hate hate hate loading 120 in plastic reels to the point where it puts me off wanting to shoot 120 at all because I dread developing them.

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Dec 1, 2014

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

MrBlandAverage posted:

I especially don't know why anyone would shoot Foma in 4x5. The emulsion is delicate as hell, and when one shoots at f/22 and beyond, needing a full stop of reciprocity correction by the time you hit 1s metered is an awful hindrance. It's not worth the aggravation.

I like that it's an old school, silver heavy, thick emulsion film and gives an interesting and decidedly different look from HP5. The 200 speed is at least, I picked up a box of the 100 speed stuff last time I put in an order just to have some super slow film to mess with, because you know that poo poo ain't ISO 100.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.
Ive used Fomapan 400 a bit in 35mm, it's not bad not great. I am starting to realise that cheap film really is a false economy (at least in 35mm and MF). Say you pay $10 for a roll of 36 exposures and $6 for developing it costs you 44 cents a shot. By comparison the $5 roll of film still costs you 30 cents a shot after developing.

With medium format it makes no sense to use cheaper B&W films when Tri-x is $5 a roll.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

deaders posted:

Ive used Fomapan 400 a bit in 35mm, it's not bad not great. I am starting to realise that cheap film really is a false economy (at least in 35mm and MF). Say you pay $10 for a roll of 36 exposures and $6 for developing it costs you 44 cents a shot. By comparison the $5 roll of film still costs you 30 cents a shot after developing.

With medium format it makes no sense to use cheaper B&W films when Tri-x is $5 a roll.

How do you pay $6 for developing a roll of B&W film. Chemicals don't cost that much.
Surely you can't be having a lab doing your film.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Yeah I don't do my own colour dev, half an hour a free time to me is worth more than $6 and I already spend enough time each week developing black and white, not to mention scanning.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Part of the fun of film: when you are scanning and the first three strips are pure poo poo then with 4 frames left some good ones pop up.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

I know what you mean, a lot of the times I'll be scanning a roll and just waiting for that one to come up that was the keeper from that day :feelsgood:

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS
Forgot to post this after I got it back from Eric Hendrickson. He did an incredible job on it. Externally and internally it was a complete disaster. Now it looks fantastic and works like a dream. Can't recommend the guy enough now.

crap nerd
May 24, 2008
I know most people are developing their own black and white film but is anyone making prints or doing other darkroom techniques? I know near the start of the medium/large format thread there was a few people posting tintypes and other stuff.

Here's the fruits of spending a couple of hours a week in a darkroom (I posted a scan of the negative in the thread already), good thing I've got free use of the materials so I'm not wasting my own money on my lovely prints.

There's only glossy paper, I've heard people go on about how much better matte fibre papers are but I guess that's not a big deal since I'm still in the "screwing around" phase.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

There used to be a wet printing thread, but the fell off into the archives, I have no idea if it can be resurrected.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
I've been assembling a darkroom setup for the past few months. I have everything I need right now I think, except for photo paper and the chemicals. I think I just need the multigrade developer, where as I can re-use the stop and fixer I already have from B&W film processing. I have an enlarger with a working bulb, 35mm holder, easel, trays, tongs, contrast filters, safelight, and other miscellaneous stuff.

I need to get motivated and actually try it out

BANME.sh fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Dec 1, 2014

Grimarest
Jan 28, 2009
Really cool. I have access to my university darkroom and we have free ilford multigrade pearl & matte paper. My pics are too poo poo though and just been messing with grade filters. You dodged the sky right?

crap nerd
May 24, 2008
I burned in the sky and the background a bit, it was an overcast day so there's no detail in the sky is all.

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I confessed a horrible secret for this account!

BANME.sh posted:

I've been assembling a darkroom setup for the past few months. I have everything I need right now I think, except for photo paper and the chemicals. I think I just need the multigrade developer, where as I can re-use the stop and fixer I already have from B&W film processing. I have an enlarger with a working bulb, 35mm holder, easel, trays, tongs, contrast filters, safelight, and other miscellaneous stuff.

I need to get motivated and actually try it out

You don't want to use the same fixer for film and paper, thought. Don't forget a thermometer, you can't do poo poo without one (as I've recently discovered since I broke mine).

I'd be up to colaborate with a new thread, been doing some learning and experimenting with wet printing...

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

Primo Itch posted:

You don't want to use the same fixer for film and paper, thought. Don't forget a thermometer, you can't do poo poo without one (as I've recently discovered since I broke mine).

I'd be up to colaborate with a new thread, been doing some learning and experimenting with wet printing...

Why wouldn't I want to use the same fixer? I don't mean reusing the same mixed batch that I do for film. I mean making a new batch using the same stock I already own.

I also have a few thermometers, yeah. I would post in a new wet printing thread and it might inspire me to actually try all of this out.

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006

BANME.sh posted:

Why wouldn't I want to use the same fixer? I don't mean reusing the same mixed batch that I do for film. I mean making a new batch using the same stock I already own.

I also have a few thermometers, yeah. I would post in a new wet printing thread and it might inspire me to actually try all of this out.

What you said. I meant it as don't use the same mixed solution for both film and paper... You can use the same type of fixer, just don't use from the same bottle.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

BANME.sh posted:

Yes something about paper emulsions leaving stuff in the fixer that's bad for film, and vice versa. Also sometimes you use fixer at twice the dilution for paper, probably mostly for the additional control, and I think it might make washing easier.

crap nerd
May 24, 2008
What do you need to control when you're fixing paper? I thought it didn't matter so long as you didn't under-do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006

crap nerd posted:

What do you need to control when you're fixing paper? I thought it didn't matter so long as you didn't under-do it.

Overdoing it means very long wash times since you don't want any fixer left over in paper as it will degrade everything over time...

Primo Itch fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Dec 2, 2014