Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epic Doctor Fetus
Jul 23, 2003

Roki B posted:

"Anime is more important than anemia" nursing student.

I hope you let her instructor know that she needs to maybe look at some different career choices. We all make mistakes, but her refusing to learn from them is just going to end up increasing her body count. This is also the exact opposite of what I've seen with most nursing students who typically make a bigger deal out of the mistakes than they need. Man, I remember one student who I thought was going to kill himself because he *almost* gave the wrong iron supplement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
Maybe if nursing school was an anime she would have paid attention to it more. Wait million dollar idea... No.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider
No no no, I'm sure I said these are new grads. Licensed and employed near with months past orientation. I have expressed my concerns to the appropreate channels.

And I've tried to do a lot of teaching with them when I have time on the unit, I enjoy teaching newbies usually. I've given up on anime girl. The other one I'm undecided about.

Side chat EDF did you get the new Isaac, it's really really good.

Epic Doctor Fetus
Jul 23, 2003

Roki B posted:

Side chat EDF did you get the new Isaac, it's really really good.

The Steam holiday sale should be starting in a few weeks, so I'll probably grab it then. Totally psyched about it... I didn't even know it existed until a couple of weeks ago.

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

Peach posted:

EVERYTHING. From the cradle to the grave. Today I dealt with vaccinations, phone triage (usually "please call an ambulance/please come and see a Dr") routine assessments of DM/COPD/CHF, mental health referrals and a bunch of wounds. We do basically everything at my GP clinic. There is always a huge variety in my day and there's no shiftwork, no nights, no weekends and no poo :')
Yeah, that is pretty awesome. The unit I'm on usually only has patients recovering from one of three surgeries, so there isn't much variation. I occasionally check our health unit's site for postings, but I don't know if I'm ready to switch over. The time off and benefits I have are tough to get away from. I'll keep looking and talking with public health people though because I can see doing it.

Roki B posted:

Students should absolutely be pushing iv drugs in clinicals.
I don't know how I feel about this, because I've even seen docs push meds without much critical thinking. A large dose of digoxin given over 5 seconds, then walking away, really?
As far as anime girl, what a shame. People need to ask questions. That CBI med is pretty facepalm-worthy though.

Atma McCuddles
Sep 2, 2007

At my institution, RNs are not allowed to push meds. Period. Except for tPA to de-clot PICC lines. I have an opinion 'bout that, but I'm a rookie.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

Atma McCuddles posted:

At my institution, RNs are not allowed to push meds. Period. Except for tPA to de-clot PICC lines. I have an opinion 'bout that, but I'm a rookie.

What? How do you give IV pain medication? Do RNs get ACLS training?

Epic Doctor Fetus
Jul 23, 2003

Atma McCuddles posted:

Whaaa? Do they make docs push all IV meds? Comedy option: QMAPs.

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

I'm at that point in nursing school where it's time to put on my big girl pants and apply to jobs with the hope that in 6 months I'll have passed the NCLEX and not failed out of my program. I'm writing basic personal statement for the L&D and Mother Baby Unit jobs I'm applying for and I had a question that you may be able to help me with.

Once I have a year of experience as an RN, preferably in a women's health area, I'm applying to Frontier's CNM+DNP program. I plan to work full time for the first year, then continue to work full time but take classes part time for the second, and once my husband finished graduate school I'll transition to a full-time student and stop working.

My question is this, do I mention the fact that I'll quit for school in two years because it looks good that I'm really interested in the subject, trying to better myself, and that I have concrete goals OR is it better to mention that I'll be applying to CNM school and completely leave off any more info? I don't want to be passed over because they want someone who would be a longer-term employee but I also know that some Hospitals like the idea of their staff going back to school because they know those staff may come back to work for them when they're more qualified.

Unrelatedly, we couldn't give meds at all in clinical this semester because the hospital switched to a new computer system that was so complicated they were afraid we'd kill patients. So going into my last year of nursing school I've given meds four times: three of which were giving an injection and only once did I do whole the Pyxis business. Apparently we're supposed to be able to give meds during our practicum next semester so hopefully I wont end up on a floor with barely any med experience. As it stands, I have no earthly idea how to start a bag of fluids and I feel just a little bit doomed.

JibbaJabberwocky fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Dec 1, 2014

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

JibbaJabberwocky posted:

I'm at that point in nursing school where it's time to put on my big girl pants and apply to jobs with the hope that in 6 months I'll have passed the NCLEX and not failed out of my program. I'm writing basic personal statement for the L&D and Mother Baby Unit jobs I'm applying for and I had a question that you may be able to help me with.

Once I have a year of experience as an RN, preferably in a women's health area, I'm applying to Frontier's CNM+DNP program. I plan to work full time for the first year, then continue to work full time but take classes part time for the second, and once my husband finished graduate school I'll transition to a full-time student and stop working.

My question is this, do I mention the fact that I'll quit for school in two years because it looks good that I'm really interested in the subject, trying to better myself, and that I have concrete goals OR is it better to mention that I'll be applying to CNM school and completely leave off any more info? I don't want to be passed over because they want someone who would be a longer-term employee but I also know that some Hospitals like the idea of their staff going back to school because they know those staff may come back to work for them when they're more qualified.

Unrelatedly, we couldn't give meds at all in clinical this semester because the hospital switched to a new computer system that was so complicated they were afraid we'd kill patients. So going into my last year of nursing school I've given meds four times: three of which were giving an injection and only once did I do whole the Pyxis business. Apparently we're supposed to be able to give meds during our practicum next semester so hopefully I wont end up on a floor with barely any med experience. As it stands, I have no earthly idea how to start a bag of fluids and I feel just a little bit doomed.

You don't know that you will become an RN yet, much less a CNM.(Realistically) You don't need to mention anything to your employer and you might even change your mind after you work in the hospital for a while. I hope you get some form of tuition assistance from them when you do start.

Unrelated but completely related I am looking to move out of country when I get my RN and was looking at the DNP program from Frontier, does anyone have anything to say about it? Experience with a distance MSN/DNP? I would be doing RN+BA to DNP. I would prefer to do it in person but if I am in Germany, I don't think I will get that chance until I move back.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

I wouldn't do much of either. Generally they'll ask you questions such as : Where do you see yourself in the near future/short term long term goals. They may ask you about education and what your end goal is too.

The best answer I think one could say is that you think that continuing your education is important, you are excited to start your career and become experienced in the field of nursing, however at some point in the future, higher education will be pursued.

Some places, depending on staffing may just be happy you're applying and need bodies *not that it would be a great place to work if that was the mentality*. But being honest/showing your desire to better yourself in your career looks good.

Also, 2 years working in a unit is probably adequate enough to not be on anyone's poo poo list. There's a bunch of people who bounce from department to department after 6 months to a year just trying different things.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

JibbaJabberwocky posted:

Don't mention anything about it on your resume. The only things you should be including is things you've already accomplished and jobs you've already held. Short-term goals that apply directly to the job you want and that are nearly accomplished (like graduating and getting your RN license) is fine, but you are applying for an RN job, and that's what your resume, application, and interview should be focused on. There are other things that you could do to further your education while working the floor RN position, like lactation consultant or birthing class instructor or something.

Also, it can be hard to find a full-time job right out of school. Our hospital doesn't even post full-time nursing positions. You can hope for a full time position, but you should plan for being a part-time worker in the near future.

Asclepius
Mar 20, 2011
All this talk about students seems so silly to me. Here, universities might like restrictions placed upon their students based on what they've learned in class, but students aren't really doing anything without direct supervision from their preceptor. Or provided their preceptor is comfortable with them doing whatever it is, barring meds. Hell, I've had students that I've taught and allowed to do things they hadn't covered in uni. Anything they do comes back to my registration, so there's a certain level of carte blanche.

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

Koivunen posted:

Don't mention anything about it on your resume.

Oh this isn't a resume, it's a "personal statement". My resume just has the cold, hard facts. That being said, I took out those bits and focused more on my skills. I think it reads a lot more concisely now.

There are a lot of full and part time nursing jobs within an hours drive of me, a good pile of jobs in my area of interest (women's health) and a butt-ton of jobs in other areas. I think we've got like, what, 6 major hospitals within an hour and a whole mountain more if I suck it up and work in the city. I'm not concerned about getting a job, really, but I am concerned about getting a job in women's health. Would I work and Nephrology or Med Surg and try not to kill myself? Yep. Would I take a part time job? Hell yeah. But I know that would be a temporary thing. When you include the fact that I have a previous bachelors in public health and a mountain of healthcare experience which includes an actual job and not just student internships, I'm not super worried. Plus, I'm applying before anyone else in my class.

Three of those six hospitals have new grad programs designed for recently graduated students which is also really nice. IDK where you live Koivunen but things seem pretty good here.

LoveMeDead
Feb 16, 2011

White Chocolate posted:

You don't know that you will become an RN yet, much less a CNM.(Realistically) You don't need to mention anything to your employer and you might even change your mind after you work in the hospital for a while. I hope you get some form of tuition assistance from them when you do start.

Unrelated but completely related I am looking to move out of country when I get my RN and was looking at the DNP program from Frontier, does anyone have anything to say about it? Experience with a distance MSN/DNP? I would be doing RN+BA to DNP. I would prefer to do it in person but if I am in Germany, I don't think I will get that chance until I move back.

I wouldn't mention leaving to a potential employer. You never know what is going to happen.

I'm about to finish my third term at Frontier in their MSN+DNP FNP program. I'm liking it. The instructors and my adviser have been very good about touching base and answering questions. The only two issues I've had so far is group work (which I always hate), and that the withdrawal deadline was yesterday, but everyone was out of the office since last Wednesday because of Thanksgiving. I had several questions because I was considering withdrawing from one of my courses, but couldn't get them answered.

One of the great things about the program is that 3 credit hours is considered full time. So for any term, you can take 1,2 or 3 classes, and it is all full time for financial aid purposes.

A downside for you would be that you have to go on campus in Kentucky for Frontier Bound (orientation) for 4 days at the beginning of the program, then again for 8 days before you start clinical, and I believe 4 days before the DNP portion starts. Might be difficult coming from Germany.

The program is also very hard because they reworked all of the classes to be doctorate level. I have almost no life, but am still working full time (I have to). I have an 80% in Patho right now, which is passing. Three more tests, and I will hopefully not fail the class.

Atma McCuddles
Sep 2, 2007

Koivunen posted:

What? How do you give IV pain medication? Do RNs get ACLS training?

Subcutaneous infusions and PO meds. IM Dilaudid in emergencies. The hospital's mandate is to provide sub-acute care, and it's still defining what that means. I should clarify, we don't have an actual emerg/crit care department, anything nasty gets shipped right out.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Atma McCuddles posted:

Subcutaneous infusions

So, infiltrated IVs?

(For reals, what do you infuse subq?)

Epic Doctor Fetus
Jul 23, 2003

Cacafuego posted:

So, infiltrated IVs?

Heparin. It "infuses" over 10 seconds. ;)

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Cacafuego posted:

So, infiltrated IVs?

subq infusions, I wonder if injection was meant.

Although if your patients are morbidly obese, there probably isn't a big enough needle to make that injection IM and everything becomes subcutaneous.

LoveMeDead
Feb 16, 2011

Cacafuego posted:

So, infiltrated IVs?

You can infuse fluids and most medications subq. You use a butterfly needle and just tape it down. There is a lot of swelling and tenderness involved. The nursing home near our hospital dose it all the time because they can't have IVs there.

Epic Doctor Fetus
Jul 23, 2003

If you hate your parents, make sure they end up at the intentional extravasation nursing home.

VVV Edit: Come on, now! That's for rugged Australians. You can't expect soft Americans to endure that. ;)

Epic Doctor Fetus fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Dec 2, 2014

LoveMeDead
Feb 16, 2011

Epic Doctor Fetus posted:

If you hate your parents, make sure they end up at the intentional extravasation nursing home.

http://www.health.qld.gov.au/cpcre/subcutaneous/documents/guidelines.pdf

There is some good information here about the procedure and guidelines. It's done more in home health, hospice, and nursing home situations.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I hear there's gonna be cake!
Interviewed at another local hospital today, following one of our offshift managers who took the ED manager job there, to an ED Tech job PRN. Place seems really nice, and while I don't have intentions of leaving my current hospital and the float job I have, I feel like I'll really get to sink my teeth into the ED instead of basically just being a fill in body at my place when they need someone. Not that I need to make a decision now, but I think it'll definitely shed some light as to whether I really want to be in the ED or not down the road.

Excited about the prospect either way. I really feel like, more and more, that this is the right path for me. I wasn't so sure enrolling in school, or even over the last year or so working, but as more opportunities open, and more doors open, I'm excited at every step about what the future can hold, and what I'll be able to do. And while I'm still somewhat young, in my 12-13 years in my last career, I was never excited, even when I interviewed for jobs elsewhere. I just hope I can continue the work on the school side, not stumble, and keep on keeping on!

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider
ED nurses are strange breed. I do not understand them or their kind.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Roki B posted:

ED nurses are strange breed. I do not understand them or their kind.

ED nurses are pretty much the worst.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Hughmoris posted:

ED nurses are pretty much the worst.

I hear this pretty often. It makes me sad because the field interests me a lot (5th semester student). Could you elaborate a bit? My dream job is working lifeline (helicopter nurse) but I want to do ER in preparation for that.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

djfooboo posted:

I hear this pretty often. It makes me sad because the field interests me a lot (5th semester student). Could you elaborate a bit? My dream job is working lifeline (helicopter nurse) but I want to do ER in preparation for that.

Personal anecdote, but it left a horrible impression:

I was one of two chemo-validated nurses working one night, and we had a patient in ED who needed methotrexate for an ectopic pregnancy. The other nurse had a pretty heavy assignment, so I volunteered to go down and give it. I showed up, found the primary nurse, and asked her if she could get me a couple needles. She sighed and rolled her eyes, then got the needles, came back and brought me to the patient. I explained the medication, got a consent signed, blah blah, gave the shot. I noticed the patient was crying, and asked if she was okay. "She just doesn't like needles," said her boyfriend. Then it hit me: she just lost a loving pregnancy, of course she's not okay. I stayed and talked with them for a couple minutes, and they understood there wasn't much that could have been done.

I went back to the nurse, and told her I was done. The first thing out of her mouth was, "Oh great, so she can go now?" Never mind comforting a girl who just lost a pregnancy. She just seemed totally heartless.

That, and ED nurses calling "report" and telling me the depart is in. And then getting irritated when I ask questions.

Eat My Ghastly Ass fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Dec 2, 2014

LoveMeDead
Feb 16, 2011

djfooboo posted:

ED nurses tend to have a low opinion of med/surg nurses. A lot of them think they are the poo poo because of the stuff they have to deal with. I'm helping in the ED now when I don't have a CCU patient, and the attitude of some of them really pisses me off. Mostly the day nurses. The night nurses I work with are pretty great, but still have the superiority complex at times.

Part of an ED nurse wanting to push patients out of the ED asap is numbers. Every time is recorded and if it's too long before they see a nurse, or too long between the time the physician hits admit or discharge and the time they get out, we get an email. It's frustrating.

Dirp
May 16, 2007
Getting rid of patients as soon as possible seems like the greatest part of being and ED nurse. The only problem is then you have to admit new ones.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Yarbald posted:

I went back to the nurse, and told her I was done. The first thing out of her mouth was, "Oh great, so she can go now?" Never mind comforting a girl who just lost a pregnancy. She just seemed totally heartless.

Lol that you think they have time to comfort everyone who's had a loss. Also, lol that you think that ED nurses would be in any way compassionate after the poo poo they have to deal with. Don't attempt to tell people how they should do their job until you've lived it, day in and day out.

Fwiw, I don't know any hot shot ED nurses, but I do know a lot of them that are extremely depressed and hate everybody because of the patient population they see and the nature of their work environment and I can't blame them.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Cacafuego posted:

Lol that you think they have time to comfort everyone who's had a loss. Also, lol that you think that ED nurses would be in any way compassionate after the poo poo they have to deal with. Don't attempt to tell people how they should do their job until you've lived it, day in and day out.

I get that ED nurses have to deal with a lot of poo poo, but that doesn't justify having no compassion whatsoever. And she had plenty of time, she was sitting at the nurses station chatting with other nurses the whole 15 minutes I was with her patient. Didn't seem very busy.

If you hate your work environment that much it might be time to find another job.

Asclepius
Mar 20, 2011

LoveMeDead posted:

http://www.health.qld.gov.au/cpcre/subcutaneous/documents/guidelines.pdf

There is some good information here about the procedure and guidelines. It's done more in home health, hospice, and nursing home situations.

Can confirm, hardass Australians receiving end-of-life care generally get things subcut such as morph, midaz, glycopyrrolate, hyoscine, metoclopramide, phenobarb, etc. depending on what symptoms we're controlling while they die.

Battered Cankles
May 7, 2008

We're engaged!

Dirp posted:

Getting rid of patients as soon as possible seems like the greatest part of being and ED nurse. The only problem is then you have to admit new ones.

You're halfway there.

At my last job we got 1-2 admits/hour from noon to 6, and then 6 or more between 6 and 7. Excuses for this phenomena varied widely. After an update to the ordering system, we could see admit orders were active hours before ED was sending them. We started calling them directly to ask for report (instead of waiting for them to call us), and then went to ED to pick up our patients.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

I passed the CCRN this week; I've got my first anesthesia interview in two weeks. I'm going to let out a big sigh of relief when an acceptance letter rolls in. I just hope it is at a school nearby!

Anonymous Pie
May 9, 2010
Any psych nurses here? Ive been working as a nurse tech for a few months at a great inner-city inpatient psych unit. Love it.
How long have you been in psych? How do you like it? Is burn out high?

My manager has said in so many words that she'll hire me out of school. Makes me happy!

Weebly
May 6, 2007

General Chaos wants you!
College Slice
Wow necrotizing fasciitis is so fascinating. I had an ICU patient tonight with it and I could see both testicles and nearly all the piping. :captainpop:

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Ugh, so we have this patient profile and care plan every semester. It's an insultingly small percentage of our grade for how much work it is, but we have to score an 80 to proceed in the program.

I got my grade the other day.

55%, because the instructor said I was missing several major content areas.

Of course, the marked up copy she sent back definitely includes medications analysis and nursing interventions.

In all likelihood she just didn't see them, seeing as she would have said they were inadequate, rather than missing. They had no markups on them.

The instructor grading mine is out recovering from a thyroidectomy, and probably stoned on pain pills, so yay I guess.

She's given me until the 10th to resubmit the paper.

Of course, I have clinical paperwork to do, a take home unit test due tonight, and 4 exams in 3 days this week (Tues Wed Thurs).

gently caress me.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
You have one care plan a semester? We have one a week. And yes they count for insulting little compared to how much we work on them.
Finals suck but at least I will know if I have passed this semester really fast.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

White Chocolate posted:

You have one care plan a semester? We have one a week. And yes they count for insulting little compared to how much we work on them.
Finals suck but at least I will know if I have passed this semester really fast.

This is a comprehensive profile, care plan, nutrition profile, and medication analysis.

Mine clocked in at 55 pages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamais Vu Again
Sep 16, 2012

zebras can have spots too
We finished all of our care plans and clinical work before thanksgiving. They count for literally nothing however - clinical is satisfactory/unsatisfactory, and our lecture grade is based on 3 exams and a final. I got 100% on the last exam, and final is on Tuesday, and then I'm finished with my first semester. I'm going to miss my clinical group when they reshuffle us next semester.