Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

LaughMyselfTo posted:

IDK, I see claims like this made all the time, but I've never actually encountered anyone who openly, seriously used the Plinkett reviews as a substitute for having an intelligent opinion.

I've seen people say, unironically, that they are waiting for Plinkett to review a film so they can have an opinion on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazreal
Oct 5, 2002

adjusts monocle

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I've seen people say, unironically, that they are waiting for Plinkett to review a film so they can have an opinion on it.

what swine

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

ShoogaSlim posted:

You guys don't have SMG on ignore? lol

No, because his posts are amazing and entertaining as hell, and sometimes make me think.

SMG is one of the best posters in CD.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Seeing the falcon ship flying around just feet above the ground looks really offputting, because it's not at all aerodynamic. Obviously, Star Wars has 'artifical gravity' and whatever, but now those already-hosed outer space physics are double-hosed by putting them in a planet's atmosphere.

Hey, all these ships have shields, right? And they can make the shield be any shape they want, right? So who's to say there isn't a big invisible aerodynamic shape around every ship, lowering their drag coefficient and providing lift, and that's why they make bank turns like airplanes?

Well, in an atmosphere anyway. In space they still make bank turns because it looks cool.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

LaughMyselfTo posted:

IDK, I see claims like this made all the time, but I've never actually encountered anyone who openly, seriously used the Plinkett reviews as a substitute for having an intelligent opinion.

Look (much) earlier in this thread.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

CountFosco posted:

You're referencing a scene where a character hires bounty hunters to bring his enemies to heel as evidence of their goodness?

Of course!

The rebels are trying to restore the republic. You obviously can't have that.

Star Wars has never been this polarized world in opposites, 'light' and 'dark' strictly correlating to Rebel versus Empire. It's Darth Vader against everyone else, and Luke's slow realization of that fact.

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

The Plinkett films are basically Room 237. They're extremely well-edited, and provide food for thought, but it's an unreliable narrator.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Dec 1, 2014

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Mazreal posted:

what swine

That's got nothing to do with elitism and everything to do with it being an incredibly retarded way to think, peace.

taco_fox
Dec 14, 2005

LaughMyselfTo posted:

Also, I met a rare person who agrees with me that ROTS<TPM today. Neither of us actually like any of the prequels, but we agree that TPM was the best of them because they still had, y'know, sets.

TPM was the last movie Lucas put any effort into, I'll give it that. I still rank it below RotS in entertainment value.

If anyone else here isn't super caught up in the whole auteur theory of filmmaking, I suggest reading The Secret History of Star Wars to gain some insight on how slapdash the entire series has been.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Wow, this thread sure got lovely while I was away for Thanksgiving. Guess I'll have to make it better. Here's three more pages from Star Wars #1...

1978 MARVEL "Star Wars," issue #1, page 12:

I had completely forgotten about the existence of patches until I read this. They went out of fashion in the late 70s and never came back. Probably a good thing. These are "self-adhesive," but the ones I remembered had to be ironed or sewed on. Maybe iron-on is what "self-adhesive" means. I don't know, my mom put them on for me.

Available payment methods: Bank Americard, Mastercharge.

1978 MARVEL "Star Wars," issue #1, page 14:

The continuation of the deleted Biggs scene from page 7. "What good is all your uncle's work, if he ends up merely a tenant soon -- slaving away for the greater glory of the Empire?" Well, he probably won't end up a charred skeleton.

1978 MARVEL "Star Wars," issue #1, page 15:

...a soulless Imperial conference room. Are there conference rooms with souls?

I defy anyone to read this dialogue without hearing the film actors' voices in their heads.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Dan Didio posted:

That's got nothing to do with elitism and everything to do with it being an incredibly retarded way to think, peace.

but it has nothing to do with the quality of the plinkett reviews themselves

Skull Knight
Aug 2, 2013

Sexy bad choices
Lipstick Apathy
This thread is enormous. On what page should I start, if I want to begin with the SMG analysis and commentary? I just read the last few pages and I'm pretty curious about his take on the whole thing... :munch:

Devol_Tettran
Sep 3, 2011

Clever Betty

The MSJ posted:

Can someone post or link to the Dengar video again?

Late to the Dengar party, but....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00UGZcv2tNA

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Riptor posted:

but it has nothing to do with the quality of the plinkett reviews themselves

Okay?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I enjoy both SW and Plinkett reviews.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The Plinkett reviews are great because they manage to do a long form critical analysis without becoming incredibly stale and boring to watch after 6 minutes.

I dare you to sit through any other voiceover essay-style critique that clocks in at over an hour without killing yourself.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Skull Knight posted:

This thread is enormous. On what page should I start, if I want to begin with the SMG analysis and commentary? I just read the last few pages and I'm pretty curious about his take on the whole thing... :munch:

Learn how to use a forum.

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Dignité. Toujours, dignité.

Of course!

The rebels are trying to restore the republic. You obviously can't have that.

Vader also indemnifies Boba Fett against risk, which is a strange move for someone who kills subordinates when they fail him.

If Solo dies from being frozen in Carbonite, and remember Solo is a nobody to Vader, he's just some rear end in a top hat who hangs around with the real prizes, Luke and Leia- the Empire (on Vader's say-so) will pay Fett for his trouble.

Well, why would he do that if he is pure evil? That's a businessman move. It can't be because Fett is some kind of irreplaceable resource that he needs to keep happy, Vader has the entire Imperial Fleet at his command, surely that is worth a thousand Fetts.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Skull Knight posted:

Ror posted:

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved SuperMechagodzilla.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style

euphronius posted:

I enjoy both SW and Plinkett reviews.

Then you can't call yourself a fan of Plinkett reviews. The thing is you see, True Fans of Plinkett reviews don't actually like Plinkett reviews. This is all true.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

No, because his posts are amazing and entertaining as hell, and sometimes make me think.

SMG is one of the best posters in CD.

Lmao

Anyway I rewatched the plinkett review of Revenge of the Sith and the opening about the trailers was hilarious considering the reactions to this trailer.

Anything can happen!

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Are we still talking about Jizz because I got the latest Jizz releases on compact jizzc

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Excuse me but "Jedi Rocks" is not on the original motion picture soundtrack like that CD claims. "Lapti Nek" is. :colbert:

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Jerkface posted:

Are we still talking about Jizz because I got the latest Jizz releases on compact jizzc

You seem to be quite the Jizz connoisseur.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Mogomra posted:

You seem to be quite the Jizz connoisseur.

You really need to collect jizz on vinyl. It's much warmer.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.

Powered Descent posted:

Hey, all these ships have shields, right? And they can make the shield be any shape they want, right? So who's to say there isn't a big invisible aerodynamic shape around every ship, lowering their drag coefficient and providing lift, and that's why they make bank turns like airplanes?

Well, in an atmosphere anyway. In space they still make bank turns because it looks cool.

We're talking about a series of movies that feature up-down aircraft using aerodynamic motion while dogfighting in the vacuum of space, while making loud noises in said vacuum. There is absolutely no reason to freak out over the same aircraft operating inside an atmosphere.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Lincoln posted:

I defy anyone to read this dialogue without hearing the film actors' voices in their heads.

Why would you want to try? It has the single greatest line of dialogue in any of the films: "How will the Emperor maintain control without the bureaucracy?" I love that guy.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Kulkasha posted:

We're talking about a series of movies that feature up-down aircraft using aerodynamic motion while dogfighting in the vacuum of space, while making loud noises in said vacuum. There is absolutely no reason to freak out over the same aircraft operating inside an atmosphere.
The noise is simulated to efficiently make use of the pilots' senses! The radio drama (co authored by Plinkett) explained this!

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

People who believed ObiWan's lies about 'a more civilized age.'

I like to imagine when he said there is no such thing as luck only the force that it meant Jar Jar was secretly a powerful force user.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
I hate Star Wars, reviews of Star Wars, and threads about Star Wars, but I enjoy posting in threads about Star Wars.

^^^ Hey Dirk!

Ross fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Dec 1, 2014

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Nieuw Amsterdam posted:

Vader also indemnifies Boba Fett against risk, which is a strange move for someone who kills subordinates when they fail him.

If Solo dies from being frozen in Carbonite, and remember Solo is a nobody to Vader, he's just some rear end in a top hat who hangs around with the real prizes, Luke and Leia- the Empire (on Vader's say-so) will pay Fett for his trouble.

Well, why would he do that if he is pure evil? That's a businessman move. It can't be because Fett is some kind of irreplaceable resource that he needs to keep happy, Vader has the entire Imperial Fleet at his command, surely that is worth a thousand Fetts.

Boba Fett is a bounty hunter for money, yet has to be warned against disintegrating his quarry. So how does one collect on a bounty when there's nothing left? It doesn't make Fett look badass, it makes him look like an idiot. I think Vader wasn't warning him, he was just trying to explain it to him like an exasperated adult does with a child.

And how do we know that the stormtroopers in the trailer are bad guys? Maybe that armor is used by Republic troops now?

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Davros1 posted:

And how do we know that the stormtroopers in the trailer are bad guys? Maybe that armor is used by Republic troops now?

You're probably a bad guy if you're called a Sturmtruppen.

Anyway, if Lucas took a bunch from Hidden Fortress to make the original Star Wars, what's the subtext of Hidden Fortress? That no one likes Kurosawa movies?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Davros1 posted:

I hope it's this and Luke is a "dark Jedi" that fights a rebellion against them.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Gatts posted:

The reason I found it comedic is because we have empty landscape full of sand and a comically overdone try hard voice over telling us something has arisen, a comedic beat, and then someone popping up breathing frantically and terrified in a bright desert environment with no context. There's very little connection between the two tones. Imagine if the voiceover was done during the scene when Sith is entering the dark forest.

"Something has arisen..." *beat* *lightsaber is turned on.

That'd be more appropriate.

It also doesn't help the first thought I had after was Spaceballs and "We ain't found poo poo!" but that's my bad. But it doesn't have to do with race, especially given the diversity that's been in Star Wars with Lando and Windu...and the trade federation, lol

Yeah, this sums it up pretty good. I think it was that beat between the voiceover and him popping up suddenly that makes the default reaction for me a laugh instead of a flinch.

Also, I had the exact same thought with Spaceballs. "Comb the desert!"

Maxwell Lord posted:

If the EU had worked along thematic lines instead of "this alien was a bounty hunter so his entire species is bounty hunters" it would have been a lot better.

I just feel bad for the wife and kids of Manny Bothans.

Lincoln posted:

...a soulless Imperial conference room. Are there conference rooms with souls?

It doesn't matter how soulless the conference room is, it still ain't got nothin' on a Mofference room.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style

Ross posted:

I hate Star Wars, reviews of Star Wars, and threads about Star Wars, but I enjoy posting in threads about Star Wars.

:worship: Then truly, you are the biggest Star Wars fan of them all.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Davros1 posted:

Boba Fett is a bounty hunter for money, yet has to be warned against disintegrating his quarry. So how does one collect on a bounty when there's nothing left? It doesn't make Fett look badass, it makes him look like an idiot. I think Vader wasn't warning him, he was just trying to explain it to him like an exasperated adult does with a child.
Based on the prequels this makes it seem like Boba Fett is being helped out by Vader, who presumably feels some responsibility for him as both a living relative of the presumably-mostly-dead clone armies, and as someone who his mentor orphaned. Considering Vader does all the work for Fett, who later flies directly into a sail barge and dies after being kicked by his former quarry, who was sick and blind at the time, this is probably the biggest evidence that "there was still good in him."

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Dignité. Toujours, dignité.

Davros1 posted:

What do you mean "now"? The armor was always worn by Republic troops- there were two whole movies about this.

I didn't post about "no disintegrations". I posted about the conversation in Cloud City where Vader and Fett discuss what happens if Solo dies in the carbonite.

Look:

quote:

Boba Fett: What if he doesn't survive? He's worth a lot to me.
Darth Vader: The Empire will compensate you, if he dies. Put him in.

Vader is making a business deal with a freelance employee. When Admirals in the Imperial Navy make a command decision he isn't inclined to make, but within their normal portfolio, he executes them without court martial and field promotes their replacements. By the way, what does it say about discipline in the Imperial Armed Forces that Vader can just show up, take command by fiat, and destroy any men or materiel he wants to pursue a single ship?

Ruthless, sure. Evil?

Let's look at another scene from the Empire Strikes Back:

quote:

Han Solo: He didn't even ask me any questions

Vader captures a very high-ranking leader of the Rebellion, has him imprisoned and tortured, but doesn't gather any intelligence. Why? What a blown opportunity, assuming Vader wanted to support the Empire by any means necessary. Whole Star Destroyers were wiped out chasing the Millennium Falcon, but when he finally has Solo all he wants to do with him is test out his new toys on him.

Watch the movie. When Luke is hanging off the platform in Cloud City, Vader attempts to cut a deal with him to overthrow the Emperor and rule the Galaxy as "Father and Son". How loyal is this guy to the Emperor, again? He seems very loyal to his son.

Oh, wait, remember the beginning of the movie? The Rebel crew on Hoth was just about to close the blast doors before they froze to death when only Han Solo remembered that the super heroic Luke Skywalker who totally saved the Rebellion single handedly (haw haw) by destroying the Death Star and was a protege of the last remaining Jedi was not around. Everyone else who is not a Skywalker (Leia) or a Skywalker's property (Threepio and Artoo) couldn't care less.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
In A New Hope, the Imperial party line is that mysticism has no place in the brave new world. Only Tarkin, who is (from what the film leads us to believe) an old friend of Vader, gives any respect whatsoever to the Force. Even that is under the assumption that Vader is the last Jedi.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I prefer to watch ANH backwards. Its about a military pilot that sucks a torpedo out of an explosion and puts a death star back together and then retires to be a farmer.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Effectronica posted:

In A New Hope, the Imperial party line is that mysticism has no place in the brave new world. Only Tarkin, who is (from what the film leads us to believe) an old friend of Vader, gives any respect whatsoever to the Force. Even that is under the assumption that Vader is the last Jedi.

Isn't Tarkin the one who mocks his New Age religion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Isn't Tarkin the one who mocks his New Age religion?

The one Vader chokes? No that's another guy.

• Locked thread