Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh yeah and honorifics are loving terrible and the new voices all suck except for Mercer's, but it's still not Baker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
The only P4 character i like is Adachi.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

FauxGateau posted:

What about bad SMT opinions? People love their persona, but I gotta get deeper.

I think Isamu is an okay guy who really just needs a hug and occasionally a good smack. I never side with him, though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

wow those are bad opinions

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Endorph posted:

wow those are bad opinions

Yah, thanks.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Also I like Adachi and think he's an interesting character but on the other hand the way the games and even the fandom try to portray a ridiculously sexist, attempted rapist, multiple-time murderer as 'complex' and 'flawed' instead of just 'a shitheel' is Really Weird

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Matador was way too difficult and basically served to ruin Nocturne for all neurotypical players .

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I like p3 more than p4 in almost every way. Well, seeya.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Neurion posted:

I think Isamu is an okay guy who really just needs a hug and occasionally a good smack. I never side with him, though.

Isamu has one of the best philosophies in any SMT game (second only to Yamato's), but i still prefer siding with Hikawa because Hikawa is way cooler, even if his Reason is kinda boring.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Endorph posted:

Also I like Adachi and think he's an interesting character but on the other hand the way the games and even the fandom try to portray a ridiculously sexist, attempted rapist, multiple-time murderer as 'complex' and 'flawed' instead of just 'a shitheel' is Really Weird

Please do not attribute depth to the Cabbage Meme Man.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Endorph posted:

Did I say he wasn't a shitheel? You can have a lot of depth and still be acknowledged as a complete piece of poo poo.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Beef Waifu posted:

Did I say he wasn't a shitheel? You can have a lot of depth and still be acknowledged as a complete piece of poo poo.
I wasn't directly addressing you with that one, sorry if it came across like I was.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Beef Waifu posted:

Speaking of Adachi, he's shockingly one of the P4 characters with the most depth and it's entirely because of these spin-offs and Golden that happened and it's cool it happened.

This makes actually me interested in Golden and the spinoffs, because I only played Vanilla Persona 4 and his character from that is just a guy who shows up at the end and claims to be the villain and it's really uninteresting.

Persona 4 has a bit of a janked up final act imo.

Teddie is also very bad and never cool or interesting or good

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I thought smt iv was extremely underwhelming.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Ultimax's Adachi story is really cool because you get into his head and he's not fighting for redemption or anything, he's fighting for himself because he's a selfish rear end in a top hat and wants to still be known for his murders. It was the bomb.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I never liked Teddie much but I played the Japanese version first and Kappei Yamaguchi's voice is literally a war crime.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

My bad Persona opinion is that I want to see Persona 5.

ImpAtom posted:

I never liked Teddie much but I played the Japanese version first and Kappei Yamaguchi's voice is literally a war crime.

Teddie works better in English. His voice acting is godawful and his dialogue is localized well, and it has the added bonus of implying that everyone in the real world just sort of shrugs off his weirdness because he's foreign.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I thought smt iv was extremely underwhelming.

Yeah, uh, I'm agreeing with this. Coming off Nocturne and P4G it just felt kinda bad.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Yeah, people who faun over Kanji like crazy are people I don't want to be around, and the same goes for people who treat Naoto like an item. Also, Teddie isn't that great, but he's still alright, even if he can be a pain in the rear end.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Also I don't mind it when bosses immediately cast Dekunda/Dekaja in response to buffs and debuffs.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
The new artwork in SMT 4 is mostly good

even Medusa is alright, the snake skeleton hair is cool

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Neurion posted:

Also I don't mind it when bosses immediately cast Dekunda/Dekaja in response to buffs and debuffs.

Well, if anything, it's one less turn they spend hitting you.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

I don't remember a single line of dialogue from smt 3, 4, or dds

sawmoorai

Ruggington fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Dec 2, 2014

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Ruggington posted:

I don't remember a single line of dialogue from smt 3, 4, or dds

We're taking Sera and going to Nirvana, so get your snobby bitch-rear end out of the way!

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I bet the P-team is regretting the new epilogue designs for the persona 4 crew since they change back to how they look originally for P4DAN.
They all look kinda weird, anyway.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

brainwrinkle posted:

The new artwork in SMT 4 is mostly good

even Medusa is alright, the snake skeleton hair is cool

this is the worst opinion in this entire thread

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
I thought DAN was still before the Epilogue?

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.

Beef Waifu posted:

Here are my bad persona opinions.

It wasn't until Arena that I started liking Yosuke because I couldn't stand him in Vanilla P4. I actually dislike a good portion of the P4 cast aside from like Yosuke, Chie, and Kanji. Speaking of Kanji, I like him but I do not think of him as like this revolutionary magic character that is worth adoring. The fervor for which people act like Naoto belongs to him or something and how people dote on him actually gets kind of creepy after a point. Yukiko is boring, Rise's bad and so is her S-Link, Teddie was cool and until he went into the real world and become a constant stream of running gags and bad jokes then he turned into a pretty boy. Naoto I used to like a lot when I was 16, but then I got older and realized she's not that interesting.

The mystery part of the story is badly handled and the idea that anyone tries to not spoil Adachi as the killer is the silliest thing especially since he's now a playable character in a fighting game. Speaking of Adachi, he's shockingly one of the P4 characters with the most depth and it's entirely because of these spin-offs and Golden that happened and it's cool it happened. All of the new characters were more fun or interesting than the original cast except the PQ characters who are dumb and stupid. Marie even worked her way around to being cool as well despite being a terrible character in Golden. I've never thought anything of Nanako so basically the entire kidnapping and argument in Nametame's room had no effect on me. Speaking of the latter, I hate the scene in Nametame's room with a passion because essentially every character acts helpless and just sort of lets Yosuke walk on them. That scene actually made me dislike Yosuke and partially Kanji for a long time because their ready willingness to murder someone over their grief and the fact that a lot of people agreed with that decision is one of the most baffling things to me.

And that's just P4.

I've only seen the anime (the vanilla anime) and played Ultimax Persona 4-wise and I love it. I was spoiled on Adachi going in but I liked the way he was handled structurally in the anime.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Pushing Namatame into the TV is the logical conclusion to the whole arc. The game was about stopping the killer. It's just that the characters assumed taking him to the police would be enough to stop him, and it clearly wasn't. If Namatame HAD been the killer, he could have walked out of the police station, gone to a new town, and started pushing people into tvs again. Killing him to prevent that wasn't crazy at all.

poo poo, even though Adachi confesses to the murders, a competent defense lawyer might still be able to get him off. As in, "My client claims he murdered these women by throwing them through a TV into another dimension filled with monsters. His psych tests confirm that he's a disturbed personality, and let me test this TV here--nope, no other dimension here. The defense pleads insanity."

I thought the theme of the game was going to be "what is justice", how far you go to pursue it, what is justified force, stuff like that. Turns out it was "Trust your friends and everything will be A-OKAY!"

Vengarr fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Dec 2, 2014

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Beef Waifu posted:

Oh yeah and honorifics are loving terrible

THANK YOU

Argent Cinereus
Feb 25, 2013
I'm going to come right out and say it. I kind of like the having physical skills use HP thing. Half because most of everyone who's good with physical skills tends to have a lot of health and terrible SP.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

I agree, but i'm broken and now can't have it any other way. The english dub of the anime was particular grinding.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Argent Cinereus posted:

I'm going to come right out and say it. I kind of like the having physical skills use HP thing. Half because most of everyone who's good with physical skills tends to have a lot of health and terrible SP.

who doesn't like this

who do I have to fight

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

The honorifics are a little weird, especially since I tend to use my very Western name when playing these and having kun and sempai and such added it to it is a little awkward. But it fits with a ton of other things to enforce the whole YOU ARE IN JAPAN thing. Better than "Eat your hamburgers, Apollo" shenanigans at any rate.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

without honorifics, no one will call me senpai. I don't want to live in a world like that

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

projecthalaxy posted:

The honorifics are a little weird, especially since I tend to use my very Western name when playing these and having kun and sempai and such added it to it is a little awkward. But it fits with a ton of other things to enforce the whole YOU ARE IN JAPAN thing. Better than "Eat your hamburgers, Apollo" shenanigans at any rate.

gently caress I want the persona 5 translation to take place in LA

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

projecthalaxy posted:

Tons of media takes place in Japan and gets away without adding honorifics. It really serves no purpose other than to appeal to the mega hyper weebs (who are going to be pirating the game to play with japanese audio anyways)

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Cake Attack posted:

without honorifics, no one will call me senpai. I don't want to live in a world like that

I prefer Senpai to Leader at least. It's too stiff, they might as well call you "Dear Leader" at that point. Boss would be best, then you could pretend you are playing Metal Gear Solid: The High School Years.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Tons of media takes place in Japan and gets away without adding honorifics. It really serves no purpose other than to appeal to the mega hyper weebs (who are going to be pirating the game to play with japanese audio anyways)

It's probably easier from a localization standpoint. You don't need to dial in on every change of honorific, debate it what it means for the two characters' relationship, and then come up with a culture-appropriate analog for the shift via dialog.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

I still maintain that "hoss" or "chief" would answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Alright here's the other half. Persona 3 is a bad game with a dumb gameplay system. Half of the game has automated AI which is so dumb like four different memes centered around it and then some guy will say "It was fine for me" despite the fact Akihiko probably used maziodyne at some point in his run to reflect back on his team and knock down Yukari. The Ai settings only help so much and the Ai will take priority in healing lower health characters over the leader despite leader death being instant game over, speaking of the leader. The main character's design is dumb and boring and so are his lovely persona. I liked Junpei, Yukari and Fuuka a lot because despite all of them being flawed they had personality unlike Mitsuru, Akihiko, and Ken who are all void of character. It took spinoffs to even give Akihiko a character and now he's entertaining. Meanwhile the actual cool and interesting upperclassman was a plot device until the non-canon version of the PSP game and dies in a month for no reason other than to kickstart the character development of two other dull characters.

Strega have no point in the story other than to show the Kirijo group is bad and evil and to just be obstacles to the group. Chidori is the only one worth a drat and I'm happy it's canon that she is alive so she and Junpei can actually be happy and someone's life in P3 doesn't end in loving misery. The final boss sucks because not only is it piss easy, but it is stupidly long. Whoever thinks 14 phases of the same poo poo is a good idea is dumb. Half of the S. links suck and Aigis is dumb. I don't understand the love of the dog either. I'm a dog person and even I think the dog is boring as sin, it doesn't even talk like Scooby-Doo. I never understood why people feel Yukari hates Junpei because she's always around him and still pals around with him, they're basically the jokester and straight man of the game and they are the only paid that aren't dysfunctional and act like friends. Pretty much all of P3's quality is in the PSP version of the female main character's route which will never be canon because it wasn't the original version. The girl can link with Shinjiro and date him, chill out with Theo, and talk to Vincent but nope.

Speaking of Vincent, Catherine is better than P3 and P4 and P2 has a better cast than every persona game combined, it's a shame about the game part and who gives a gently caress about Persona 1.

There I'm done, hope you enjoyed my bad opinions.