Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SA_Avenger
Oct 22, 2012
Tempted by Field of Glory during the matrix sales but how good is the IA? I usually don't have much time to play PBEM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Morholt posted:

The first mission is kind of difficult, yes. The top tip for playing Germans in UoC is to always keep your tanks moving to the next objective since you have very limited time if you want brilliant victories. This means they can do dissapointingly little actual fighting; your infantry has to do the heavy lifting.

The real tip is gently caress BRILLIANT VICTORIES. Several people in this thread have repeatedly said that despite playing for dozens of hours and being very good at the game they have difficulties with brilliant victories.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
The thing about Brilliant Victories is that they can be sabotaged by bad luck. Get bad weather or a few bad combat results and you won't get one.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Hey guys, tomorrow I'll be doing a stream about Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations. Also, incidentally, I got hired by Warfare Sims (the guys who make Command) as a developer.

Gonna be at http://baloogancampaign.com/

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Man, FC:RS is super fun. Even losing can be really great. I'm running through "Eyes, Ears, and Teeth" right now and things were going really outstanding... until around 1130.

I had set up a nice defensive line along the eastern 3 city hexes in Kirchhain, with some Abrams and one unit of Avengers stationed on the hills northwest of town guarding the northern passage (which turned out to be really good, since I took out a minor Soviet column trying to flank me). I put another unit of Abrams in the hills of Amöneburg overlooking the N454 and the fields south of Kirchhain. I took the bet that that city would be the main site of the battle, and turned out to be correct. A token Soviet force was sent north to VP's at Rauschenberg, but I took them out with helos + arty.

For the first four hours of the mission or so, the little corridor just south of Langenstein and east of Kirchhain along the N454 was a total slaughter zone. I can't even count the number of little red crosses in those hexes for all the enemy recon + armor + AFVs I destroyed. I got a little optimistic from my early success.

Then the main thrust of the Soviet advance came. The trickle of men turned into a flood over the two bridges crossing the Netzebach. Soviet armor was able to punch through my lines in the city hexes of Kirchhain easily, as my tank support from the hills in Amöneburg inconveniently ran out of ammo RIGHT as the advance was coming through. My artillery had no more improved munitions and was scrambling to put neutralizing fire in the right hexes at the right time. A group of Hinds came in and I narrowly avoided a slaughter there, as my Avengers were able to take them out before themselves getting overrun by Soviet tanks.

That time between 1100 and 1230 was SUPER tense and I haven't had an experience quite like it in a grognard game yet. The game isn't over yet, but I just got a tremendously lucky arty strike in that wiped out an entire column + 2 HQ's, so I might be able to turn it around.

Edit: here's the situation as of 1230. Those Fangs :stare:

Baloogan posted:

Hey guys, tomorrow I'll be doing a stream about Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations. Also, incidentally, I got hired by Warfare Sims (the guys who make Command) as a developer.

Woo, congrats!

Drone fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Nov 29, 2014

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Baloogan posted:

For god's sake now they have a working game engine get them to do what the Panzer Corps guys did and pump out loads of content quickly and cheaply so they can set their prices to something more reasonable and actually make some money. Or they could spend 10 years making CMANO:2, whatever you don't need to tell me their plans.

Because the FPC:RS sale really nailed it: £20 is what I'm willing to play for a wargame of that level of quality.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.

Gort posted:

The thing about Brilliant Victories is that they can be sabotaged by bad luck. Get bad weather or a few bad combat results and you won't get one.

I believe some missions require them to advance.

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.
Indeed, to do the more ridiculous alt-history missions you need Brilliant victories in the preceding missions. A reasonable way to go about it is just taking whatever victories you can get first time, going on to the Soviet campaign, and then come back and 100% both.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
So that's two goons now that have been hired by game devs by building up their portfolios via mods

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

SA_Avenger posted:

Tempted by Field of Glory during the matrix sales but how good is the IA? I usually don't have much time to play PBEM

AWFUL but it is silly that you say you don't have time for pbem. You do a turn a day, and if you only get in 5 turns a week you will pretty much only be slightly on the low side of average. Pretty much everyone can manage that. Still I don't know if I'd recommend the game. There are a thousand expansion packs and the game is nearing the end of it's life cycle.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Holy Hell, I did it. Not the cleanest victory (Alchenar's from a page or two was better) but drat if that wasn't satisfying. The Soviets had marched into Kirchhain with a decent amount of force and I committed what is undoubtedly some kind of war crime by just flattening the town with artillery. That was apparently enough to push them over the edge casualty-wise.

Game owns. Buy it.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Drone posted:

Holy Hell, I did it. Not the cleanest victory (Alchenar's from a page or two was better) but drat if that wasn't satisfying. The Soviets had marched into Kirchhain with a decent amount of force and I committed what is undoubtedly some kind of war crime and just flattened the city with artillery. That was apparently enough to push them over the edge casualty-wise.

Game owns. Buy it.

It took a lot of attempts to get my result. But every time I got better. That's the crucial thing that makes FPS so enjoyable for me - there's just the right balance between randomness and the chaos of fog of war that you expect from a wargame, traded off against having your orders meaningfully make a difference.

I played that scenario a dozen times or so, I'm currently replaying the first couple of turns of the Hell on Wheels campaign over and over again, and each time I do I learn a little bit more about how to get my mens to fights betters.

SA_Avenger
Oct 22, 2012

dtkozl posted:

AWFUL but it is silly that you say you don't have time for pbem. You do a turn a day, and if you only get in 5 turns a week you will pretty much only be slightly on the low side of average. Pretty much everyone can manage that. Still I don't know if I'd recommend the game. There are a thousand expansion packs and the game is nearing the end of it's life cycle.

Problem is my irregularity. I could for 10 turns without problem one week then be unable to play for 2-3 weeks.
But thanks for your answer. Guess I will try to resist ^^

Myoclonic Jerk
Nov 10, 2008

Cool it a minute, babe, let me finish playing with my fake gun.

Gort posted:

And then there's this guy, who made a whole series of YouTube videos showing him beating every scenario in the main game and both DLC's, with Brilliant victories and no prestige use.
https://www.youtube.com/user/MyXpLevel/videos

Granted, even he acknowledges that you need luck on some scenarios, but it is doable.

PS Monday is the last day for signups for the Unity of Command PVP tournament. http://unityofcommand.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2422

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
In Flashpoint Campaigns i'm not sure what the point of recon units on the attack are. The Soviet ones are platoons and just melt to any attention paid to them, but the order delays are such that they can't really go first and meaningfully change your plan. I just end up having them screen my flanks. At least the NATO ones usually have marginally better combat capability.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
They can spot for your arty, that's a lot of offensive capability right there.

e: I made a small scenario in the NE corner of the Hameln map to test some stuff out; early 80s set piece battle, British mixed bat against a Soviet Tank Regiment with some arty from division cascaded down. The results weren't pretty: prepositioned fires on the suspected defensive ridge line took out more than half the UK forces on turn 1.

Koesj fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Nov 30, 2014

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Baloogan posted:

Holy poo poo, I just bought it based on your clips! Congratulations!

I'm finding myself surprisingly competent so far. Looks like those Aurora 2 sessions didn't go to waste.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

quote:

Flashpoint Campaigns: loving Hinds
How can you deal with them? I can have Stingers or Javelins shoot at them all day and they won't go down. Is there any way I can increase the success of my AA or do I just have to try and cover myself in smoke and/or back out every time some Hinds show up?

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.
I don't know how many of you guys iPad game, but Wars and Battles is pretty interesting. It is kind of Korsun Pockety and has regimental campaigns for all of Normandy. They also plan on releasing other battles as they go (Gettysburg, Austerlitz, October War, Kharkov, and Korea so far).

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Mokotow posted:

Holy poo poo, I just bought it based on your clips! Congratulations!

I'm finding myself surprisingly competent so far. Looks like those Aurora 2 sessions didn't go to waste.

Hurrah! If you have any questions I've gathered a group of helpful knowledgable people http://chat.baloogancampaign.com/#/rooms/baloogan here.

If you are familiar with the acronyms SEAD, EMCON and FCR you will go far in Command.

Myoclonic Jerk
Nov 10, 2008

Cool it a minute, babe, let me finish playing with my fake gun.
WITP Question:

When I bomb or bombard an airfield (hooray for battlewagons!), the little "animated" battle reports often reports way more aircraft damaged or destroyed than the final After Action Report. Which of those two is correct? Or, like Intelligence reports of ships sunk, can I not trust either of them?

I want to know because this will determine if I put my four engine bombers back in the barn for some more training or if I continue night bombing airfields in Truk and Rangoon.

ALSO:
Don't forget tomorrow is the last day to sign up for the UoC tournament. http://unityofcommand.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2422

Dammit_Carl!
Mar 5, 2013

Baloogan posted:

Bully for you, lad. Glad to see a hometown boy make it big.

Remember us when you hit the big times and give us some good poo poo.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Myoclonic Jerk posted:

WITP Question:

When I bomb or bombard an airfield (hooray for battlewagons!), the little "animated" battle reports often reports way more aircraft damaged or destroyed than the final After Action Report. Which of those two is correct? Or, like Intelligence reports of ships sunk, can I not trust either of them?

I want to know because this will determine if I put my four engine bombers back in the barn for some more training or if I continue night bombing airfields in Truk and Rangoon.

ALSO:
Don't forget tomorrow is the last day to sign up for the UoC tournament. http://unityofcommand.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2422

I believe the discrepancy is the same airframe being damaged twice in different rounds of combat, but if it's still not destroyed then it will only show as damaged at the end of the battle. Also I'm pretty sure you can't really trust any of the reports, except for ship sunk in a combat report, I haven't seen that one turn out wrong yet. Ships sunk after combat are almost never actually sunk though in my experience.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
gently caress YOU COMMAND, gently caress YOU SHRIKE, gently caress YOU SA-2, gently caress YOU NORTH KOREAN AD NET OF 1968

This is my rational review of C:MANO

10/10, would drop more money

Baloogan posted:

:puckout:

Top Hats Monthly fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Dec 1, 2014

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Please add a rating and buy recommendation, thanks.

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.

Why yes, the Russians are holding up splendidly

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

Baloogan posted:

Congrats Baloogan, I just purchased C:MA/NO in honor of you! I enjoy your streams.

(:siren: It's also on the Steam Autumn sale for a mere $50 for the next couple of weeks :siren:)

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Yay!

Also check out the announcement on http://www.warfaresims.com/ a pile of new features are coming in the next version.

Command 1.06 will include editor capabilities to simulate all sorts of aircraft ready time behavior (including things like peacetime vs surge operational tempos, and hot reloading). This article is worth reading even if you don't care about Command.

Command 1.06 has a built in programming language for scenario authors to add additional functionality to scenarios. This allows for reactive scenario AIs to change mission priorities and doctrine; additional amphibious warfare options; control over ship's EMCON; deleting units; moving units; setting unit's course; changing the names of units and a whole pile of other stuff I can't remember.

Video Tutorial:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayDyeXx79hI
06:33 - Making a CAP change mission to become more aggressive once approached
09:14 - Having a 50% chance of an AWACS being added when the scen is loaded
14:18 - Removing radar information from fighters when the Fighter HQ is bombed (permanently or coming back online after X amount of minutes)
19:07 - Making tanks become detectable to the player side when crossing into an area
22:17 - Making those tanks retreat once they reach a certain amount of damage together
25:35 - Randomizing whether an SA-2 site is dumb with radar on or smart with radar off and a prosecution area at scen load
31:30 - Randomly adding either an SA-3, SA-6 or SA-8 at a location
34:13 - Randomly adding either an SA-3, SA-6 or SA-8 at a location with 40% chance for 3 or 6 and 20% for the 8
36:04 - Randomizing which CAPs a group of MiG-29s goes to
39:20 - Having the weather improve over time with slight amount of randomness
44:43 - Showing how to have a strike mission marshal somewhere first before
47:08 - Randomly selecting which target they go to
A few things with the EW radars:
49:15 - Having SAMs go active once too many EW Radars are taken out
51:58 - Having SAMs go active when the SAM HQ is bombed
54:07 - Having SAMs go passive again when HQ backup is online after X minutes, UNLESS they were already active because EW radars were taken out

API Documentation: http://wiki.baloogancampaign.com/index.php/CommandLua

And finally: you can see the unit image in the top right. :3:

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Morholt posted:

Why yes, the Russians are holding up splendidly

Gotcha!

At least it's not my game against Alikchi in which I am totally screwed. In that the USA just joined, in April 1916!

Saros fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Dec 2, 2014

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

Baloogan posted:

And finally: you can see the unit image in the top right. :3:

The most important update of the lot.

EDIT: Unironically

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
I did that. :3:

Though I think the aircraft ready time is the more important change; aircraft ready times in games like this has been a ongoing 30+ year flame war and this should be the last word.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
What language is the game written in? Do you think the game could be ported over to OSX?

First one is interest, second is a desire for a native port so I can watch TV and play the game on my Mac instead of using remote desktop.

Also, why do all these grog companies make the games only for Windows? It's fairly trivial to cross-compile these days in pretty much any language you could want.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Lord Windy posted:

What language is the game written in? Do you think the game could be ported over to OSX?

First one is interest, second is a desire for a native port so I can watch TV and play the game on my Mac instead of using remote desktop.

Also, why do all these grog companies make the games only for Windows? It's fairly trivial to cross-compile these days in pretty much any language you could want.

Its written in a number of languages. I can't state my opinion on if the game could be ported over to anything. I've seen people stream playing it in OSX somehow; I don't know how though.

Windows is drat nice to program in; making stuff for multiple OSs sucks and takes a big team. Windows is the grog-OS: Grognards are males age 30-60 which is also the people who use windows.

edit: VVV hell no.
But it can be used to simulate naval warfare in the era of windows 3.1.

1992 is a very interesting year to set WWIII. Everyone has the best cold war weapons; and nuclear ship launched cruise missiles.

Think: F-18s and F-14s on carriers, F-117s too! Tomahawks are present, but aren't totally dominant. TLAM-A (the nuclear tomahawk) presents a wonderful way to clear out airbases.

Soviets still have their huge fleets of anti ship missile bomber regiments. Everyone has satellites galore.

Baloogan fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Dec 2, 2014

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Could you port it to Windows 3.1?

The Geoff
Oct 11, 2009
Can you download the database images for Command: MANO anywhere besides the official mirror? It's a 1.8GB file, and the mirror linked here seems to be throttled at 70kB/s :negative:

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
You know what's the worst part about that is that I don't have the most up to date db images either. :'( And neither does my wiki.

Lemmy fix this for you; I'll stick it (after I download it) on my dropbox which has just too much unused space and share the link to that.

Edit: https://www.dropbox.com/s/p6okfjp9q0utlch/DB_addons.zip?dl=0 All 1.8 gigs of database images.

Baloogan fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Dec 2, 2014

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Grognard Games Megathread - sortie rate discussions since the early 1990s

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
So the Wolves campaign in FC:RS is kind of insane. I hit the north and western towns simultaenously, and kept a small screening force in the east. After i took the north town this happens:
code:
1704 hrs - 1 Plt/1001 Pz Co in 2312 engaging 11 x T-72BM [m] at range 2,719m.
I hoped that was an unreliable contact report. It wasn't.
And it wasn't the only stack either :stonk:

I lost 5 of my 13 Leopards but since the soviet tank blob was traveling on a highway i think i came out ahead:

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Illegal Username posted:

So the Wolves campaign in FC:RS is kind of insane. I hit the north and western towns simultaenously, and kept a small screening force in the east. After i took the north town this happens:
code:
1704 hrs - 1 Plt/1001 Pz Co in 2312 engaging 11 x T-72BM [m] at range 2,719m.
I hoped that was an unreliable contact report. It wasn't.
And it wasn't the only stack either :stonk:

I lost 5 of my 13 Leopards but since the soviet tank blob was traveling on a highway i think i came out ahead:

That's every Soviet tank unit. Soviets have companies. It's not so bad for tanks but the weakness shows up with mech infantry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Is Battlefront the only place to get the Combat Mission games? The LPs of them always intrigued me, but I'm a bit leery of forking over money to a company running a website from 1992. Hell, when I was googling it, their site came up with the page being titled something along the lines of "PHP Anti-Hacker" in the search results, suggesting that maybe they don't know what they're doing when it comes to this whole "internet" thing.

If it were on Steam, they'd already have my money. If it were somewhere like Matrix, I'd still probably pick up one. But I've seen Chinese wholesalers with better made websites. :saddowns: