Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Detective No. 27 posted:

Couple questions. Is it generally a bad idea to put a front row character in the back, or can there be a tactically advantageous reason to change it up?

I'm not sure how the system works either. I get that characters take less damage in the back row, and they do less melee damage, but does that also apply to ALL their damage? Even magic/phys attack damage? It might make sense to rotate characters from the front to the back in that case. I don't think I've even used the Move command yet.

I also don't understand weapons. Does the attack power you get from equipping better weapons affect the damage your Persona phys attacks do? If not, it makes more sense to use those 1-attack power stat-effect weapons you get from doing requests. You basically never use your standard attack unless you're Rushing anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

If a skill is labeled Melee it needs to be used from the front row or else it'll suffer a penalty. If it's labeled Ranged then feel free to stick that character in the back row.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

OK, weapons and physical attacks real quick:

Weapons and physical attack skills have a range parameter. On skills, this is displayed as either ML in pink (short range) or RN in blue (long range) on the same line as the skill's name and affinity when you examine the skill. Weapons are always the same range per weapon type and character. Melee weapons are short range, ranged weapons and Ken's spears are long range.

Short range attacks (ML skills and short range weapons) can only attack up to 2 rows away and deal half damage if attacking a target which is 2 rows away. 2 rows meaning your front row to their back row or your back row to their front row.

Long range attacks can attack any target with no damage penalty.

The range of a weapon only matters for the Attack command, skills use their own range instead.

Physical skills use the attack power of the character's weapon as part of their damage equation, magical skills do not.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Toadsniff posted:

I'm curious as to which questions lead to which character. The first question of the dungeon is really weird and makes me think Ken is a possible choice. Please tell me I'm wrong and it's always Teddie please.

I kept a save file at the last choice my first time through so I could see all the ones I was down to, which were Ken, Koromaru, and Teddie. Ken is as much of a downer as you'd expect.

"I learned in social studies that two men can't married! Japanese law doesn't allow it!"

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Hivac posted:

Sometimes I'll throw Naoto up front to use a poison attack and then switch back when it lands. Dunno if there's a ranged variant.

I don't think there's any advantage to doing this, she can attack without penalty from the back row. I've definitely used status effects with the back row and it works fine.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

DrManiac posted:

You get skill cards from quest rewards and by a velvet room option that unlocks between the 2nd and 3rd dungeon. For the velvet room thing you just sacrafice a persona with a card next to it's name to get a skill card.

As for how they work you just use them to attach said skill to a party member's default persona so they can use the skill whenever. You get 8 slots per persona for skill cards.

Getting the Skill Card option in the Velvet Room happens around the time you reach the 3rd floor of the 3rd dungeon.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Zurai posted:

OK, weapons and physical attacks real quick:

Weapons and physical attack skills have a range parameter. On skills, this is displayed as either ML in pink (short range) or RN in blue (long range) on the same line as the skill's name and affinity when you examine the skill. Weapons are always the same range per weapon type and character. Melee weapons are short range, ranged weapons and Ken's spears are long range.

Short range attacks (ML skills and short range weapons) can only attack up to 2 rows away and deal half damage if attacking a target which is 2 rows away. 2 rows meaning your front row to their back row or your back row to their front row.

Long range attacks can attack any target with no damage penalty.

The range of a weapon only matters for the Attack command, skills use their own range instead.

Physical skills use the attack power of the character's weapon as part of their damage equation, magical skills do not.

Thanks, this is really helpful.

Post your QR Codes with your best personas, nerds. If you hit "Create QR Code" it saves it to the SD card and then you can upload it using the 3DS screenshot uploader or whatever.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.

Manatee Cannon posted:

I don't think there's any advantage to doing this, she can attack without penalty from the back row. I've definitely used status effects with the back row and it works fine.

I'm pretty sure the game still treats it as attempting to use a Melee skill. Unless that's something that's negated by ranged weapons somehow.

fake edit:

Zurai posted:

yeah nope. :(

Also cheesing everything beefy with Poison is giving me some serious EO1 vibes...

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Vengarr posted:

Thanks, this is really helpful.

Post your QR Codes with your best personas, nerds. If you hit "Create QR Code" it saves it to the SD card and then you can upload it using the 3DS screenshot uploader or whatever.

Well if you insist.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Hivac posted:

yeah nope. :(

Also cheesing everything beefy with Poison is giving me some serious EO1 vibes...

It still doesn't matter at all if what you want is the poison proc, you're not getting reduced chances for that/less poison damage.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Do the different poison skills have different DOTs? I'm using Poisoma on Naoto, but I had to get rid of Toxic Slice to make room for Impure Reach.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Inflammatory posted:

you can end up with any named character, up to and including the secondary protagonist, navigators, and the velvet room four.

(Re: the second labyrinth ending): And any named character includes Koromaru, who is apparently my soulmate.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
I've just had Naoto sitting in the back tossing out Toxic Slice. Sure, the move itself does practically no damage, but the poison ticks just fine.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Hey so how are you supposed to handle the Old Doll on floor 4 of the 3rd labyrinth.

Sometimes I feel it HAS to catch me so I can make it to the next room even when the lights are on. Now I'm around 4C on the map and I have no idea what to do since it came into the room right away. The only thing I have open to me is a light switch and nervous that if I turn the lights off it's just going to one shot my team again.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Hey so how are you supposed to handle the Old Doll on floor 4 of the 3rd labyrinth.

Sometimes I feel it HAS to catch me so I can make it to the next room even when the lights are on. Now I'm around 4C on the map and I have no idea what to do since it came into the room right away. The only thing I have open to me is a light switch and nervous that if I turn the lights off it's just going to one shot my team again.

The answer is literally use hama on it until it dies and then explore at your own leisure, because jesus christ, gently caress the Old Doll.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.
Threw Impure Reach on Naoto, who already learned Mahamaon/Mamudoon. Playing P3MC on Risky.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth - Death Rules Everything Around Me

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

you're supposed to trap it between the lights in the northwest corner. or do what that other guy said and hamaon it into oblivion. might take a few tries since it resists light, but it beats fighting fair.

Inflammatory fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Dec 2, 2014

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Is it weird that even though I'm not a fan of localized honorifics, I don't mind the Japanese wordplay at all?

Like what's there is kind of clever if you know what to look for, but it'd be really difficult to translate into English.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Japanese wordplay is bad because in the context of this game it requires the mispronunciation of western words to work and that just muddles what they're trying to do in something of a joke.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Beef Waifu posted:

Japanese wordplay is bad because in the context of this game it requires the mispronunciation of western words to work and that just muddles what they're trying to do in something of a joke.

I feel like we're talking about different things.

On another note, gently caress FOEs with Diarahan.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I had assumed you got to a certain point, in which case I will keep my mouth shut.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Kinda wish FOEs didn't respawn. I get why they do, but I've killed like 10+ of these cupid horsemen things now and I'm getting pretty tired of either fighting them or engaging with their gimmick to explore. Also you have to kill some of them to get their spot on the floor filled in. :argh:

Though speaking of that, I'm at 97% map completion on the first floor of the second labyrinth and I have no idea which spots I missed. I'm sure they're those SP damaging ones but gently caress going over every single one until I find the few I missed.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

just use like 10 play coins to open the chest

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Manatee Cannon posted:

Kinda wish FOEs didn't respawn. I get why they do, but I've killed like 10+ of these cupid horsemen things now and I'm getting pretty tired of either fighting them or engaging with their gimmick to explore. Also you have to kill some of them to get their spot on the floor filled in. :argh:

Though speaking of that, I'm at 97% map completion on the first floor of the second labyrinth and I have no idea which spots I missed. I'm sure they're those SP damaging ones but gently caress going over every single one until I find the few I missed.

at that point the map chest should be dirt cheap to open for playcoins, so i say gently caress it.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Beef Waifu posted:

I had assumed you got to a certain point, in which case I will keep my mouth shut.

I have gotten past the fourth labyrinth, and I think you're talking about Rei being a corrupted abbreviation of Philei, but the fact that Rei means zero in Japanese is never brought up, which I appreciate as a bonus incidental joke. The ニコ/二子 is the one I was talking about and is what gets explained.I like that one because it's something you could potentially see beforehand if you're familiar with the language, but not something you'd be inclined to think of, kind of like Hikaru in SMT IV.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Inflammatory posted:

at that point the map chest should be dirt cheap to open for playcoins, so i say gently caress it.

Last I checked on one with 90ish percent was still like 150 playcoins so

Also I don't leave my 3DS on when I'm not using it so I have less than ten playcoins.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Manatee Cannon posted:

if you try to open the chest it highlights the spots on your map you haven't hit yet

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Manatee Cannon posted:

Last I checked on one with 90ish percent was still like 150 playcoins so

Also I don't leave my 3DS on when I'm not using it so I have less than ten playcoins.

At 97% or above it goes down to about 5 play coins

Its a good feature to keep you from having to go halfway across the map to stand on burning lava for 100% completion

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Strange Quark posted:

I have gotten past the fourth labyrinth, and I think you're talking about Rei being a corrupted abbreviation of Philei, but the fact that Rei means zero in Japanese is never brought up, which I appreciate as a bonus incidental joke. The ニコ/二子 is the one I was talking about and is what gets explained.I like that one because it's something you could potentially see beforehand if you're familiar with the language, but not something you'd be inclined to think of, kind of like Hikaru in SMT IV.

i think he was referring to the jokes where it's like someone uses a word and then someone else confuses it for a different word that sounds sort of similar and that's the extent of the joke.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Inflammatory posted:

i think he was referring to the jokes where it's like someone uses a word and then someone else confuses it for a different word that sounds sort of similar and that's the extent of the joke.

Huh?? There's a Coke that's someone used as a sword, but it got confused for a different sword and that was the excellent Coke???

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Inflammatory posted:

Oh yeah, those. I didn't think of that because I was only talking about the wordplay that they didn't translate.

Also, the fifth labyrinth has conditional drops for killing Shadows with light/dark, pffffft.

e: I can't believe that the spiritual successor to Funky Student's riddles have made it into this game.

Strange Quark fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Dec 2, 2014

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

Also you have to kill some of them to get their spot on the floor filled in. :argh:

Completely stationary FOEs do not count for map completion. You can ignore their squares. You do not have to kill any FOEs whatsoever to get 100% map completion on any level, though you may have to do a lot of dancing around and use some Goho-Ms.

theshim posted:

I've just had Naoto sitting in the back tossing out Toxic Slice. Sure, the move itself does practically no damage, but the poison ticks just fine.

That works fine as long as you're not trying to poison the enemy back row. Melee skills like Toxic Slice can't even target from back row to back row, so you can't (for example) have Naoto use Toxic Slice on the boss of the first labyrinth when its minions are out. Poisma, Venom Breath, the poison Circle, etc, all work fine since all magic skills are long range.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Is there a beastiary floating around yet? I want to know what drops what and where and weaknesses. I don't have time for trial and error drat it!

I also don't like entering a new floor. It's scary.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah OK I knew there was a reason I was keeping Zen & Rei on my team. A late game quest gives you an accessory that gives them +70 HP/SP and +7 all stats.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
The Formaldehyde equivalent in this game is only 9,000 yen. :swoon:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Strange Quark posted:

The Formaldehyde equivalent in this game is only 9,000 yen. :swoon:

Is it infinite stock? That's the important part.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

Is it infinite stock? That's the important part.

There are no limited stock items. Or if there are I havn't run into them yet.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

So I'm just about done with the 3rd maze's 4th floor. I just did that strange guide Rei around thing and I'm now trying to open the door with all these letters and stuff and I have no goddamn idea what to do with this. I've been trying several things and nothin seems to be working. Can I just get told the order because I'm sick of this place.

Also, did anyone drive Rei into a doll on purpose? I haven't saved in awhile and was genuinely tempted to try it but... I didn't want to redo the entire floor again.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

So I'm just about done with the 3rd maze's 4th floor. I just did that strange guide Rei around thing and I'm now trying to open the door with all these letters and stuff and I have no goddamn idea what to do with this. I've been trying several things and nothin seems to be working. Can I just get told the order because I'm sick of this place.

Also, did anyone drive Rei into a doll on purpose? I haven't saved in awhile and was genuinely tempted to try it but... I didn't want to redo the entire floor again.

For your first spoiler: The letters are a red herring. Just look at the +- signs. The rooms are basically just cartesian planes; the upper right room is ++, the lower left room is --. They're listed in x, y format. Go to them in the order the hints indicate. I'd tell you outright but I didn't save them.

For the second: Pretty sure she refuses to walk into them. She knows they're there, after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

If you wander around enough lost, the characters will end up solving the puzzle for you, but here are some tips.

Hint 1: The letters are a complete red herring. Pay attention to the signs.

Hint 2: You notice how the top right room had a book with the ++ sign, and the top left room had a room with a -+ sign? There are two other rooms below those you couldn't see the books in, but is there anything with four quadrants and positive and negative associations coming to mind?

Hint 3: Remember the Cartesian plane?

• Locked thread