Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Remake the best movie (The Rock) with the best actor (The Rock).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

All I want is a Riddick sequel co-starring the Rock called RidRockulous. Is that so much to ask?

This is one of those things I never knew I wanted till now

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

EmmyOk posted:

This is one of those things I never knew I wanted till now

This but directed at Cage's post above. It would still need Nic Cage though. :colbert:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

EmmyOk posted:

My irrational irritation with JW is that it released a trailer for its trailer.

Don't most big movies do that?

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
I saw that scene as Pratt running away with the raptors, implying that the escaped hybrid is even more dangerous than the raptors.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Fragrag posted:

I saw that scene as Pratt running away with the raptors, implying that the escaped hybrid is even more dangerous than the raptors.

1redflag posted:

I assumed he was being chased by them and is escaping on a motorbike, but I legitimately want Jurrasic World: Hell's Raptors to happen now.

No the raptors are actually trained and are his bros. This is a real thing.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

1redflag posted:

I assumed he was being chased by them and is escaping on a motorbike, but I legitimately want Jurrasic World: Hell's Raptors to happen now.

At some point they pass him and don't attack him-

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

Tiggum posted:

As I understand it, the supposed dinosaurs in Jurassic Park are actually more genetically engineered than cloned, thus neatly explaining all the inaccuracies and how they managed to create such variety.

People do this in real life to try to make animals that look like extinct species. It won't bring back the real things and it'd probably be better to preserve extant endangered species, but it's a fun project. :3: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breeding_back

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Cage posted:

Remake the best movie (The Rock) with the best actor (The Rock).

Comon Hollywood, this one would be easy to market. The Rock2

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
I'm not sure how anyone could think those raptors were hunting him when they are around him clearly not attacking while perfectly in position to and the one just chills and runs ahead

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Jerusalem posted:

The moment that the series became great was the moment they realized they could bring in the Rock and do some sweet double-team wrestling moves :hellyeah:

Seriously, I hated the F&F movies until they started marketing less towards gearheads and more towards people who wanted to see stupid car poo poo, like two cars dragging a giant loving safe down the road without any problems whatsoever with momentum, or seeing an airplane drive down a runway that is nearly 20 kilometers long. Or watching this international police cop do some sweet takedown moves.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Watching the first Childs Play movie and those dolls should probably be recalled just for how flammable they are.

Also there are a lot of moments where Chucky gets the upper hand because the people are constantly flailing around and tripping on things.

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

Morpheus posted:

Seriously, I hated the F&F movies until they started marketing less towards gearheads and more towards people who wanted to see stupid car poo poo, like two cars dragging a giant loving safe down the road without any problems whatsoever with momentum, or seeing an airplane drive down a runway that is nearly 20 kilometers long. Or watching this international police cop do some sweet takedown moves.

F&F has always been a good "shut your brain off for two hours and enjoy stupid poo poo" movie series. It's just gotten substantially better now that The Rock has shown up and soon, Jason Statham.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Morpheus posted:

Yeah the last twenty-odd minutes of both Five and Six were a pair of big fat Stone Cold-style middle fingers to physics and they both ruled.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun
Saw the trailer for the Paddington Bear film, and while it all looks very sweet, I don't know why a Peruvian bear on his first trip outside Peru in his life sounds like Ben Whishaw. When I read the books when I was a kid, I always imagined him sounding kind of Spanish (mainly because I didn't know what Peruvian accents sounded like). Maybe when he was learning English (I forget where/when he learnt it) he studied received pronunciation too?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Stottie Kyek posted:

Saw the trailer for the Paddington Bear film, and while it all looks very sweet, I don't know why a Peruvian bear on his first trip outside Peru in his life sounds like Ben Whishaw. When I read the books when I was a kid, I always imagined him sounding kind of Spanish (mainly because I didn't know what Peruvian accents sounded like). Maybe when he was learning English (I forget where/when he learnt it) he studied received pronunciation too?
Blame the narrator from the old cartoon for not doing the voices properly I guess.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I was talking with a friend about Guardians of the Galaxy earlier and was reminded of one thing that's always bugged me in sci fi. The team is thrown in jail by an extremely advanced race who are pretty much 'the good guys' by any measure. But their prison system is something out of the loving dark ages.

It's like a nightmare version of a prison out of a Republican's wet dream rather than what you'd expect from an interstellar empire of peace and plenty.

I know it's done for drama and to show how badass everyone is as they face off against rapists and murders and so on. But it's just lazy.

Just once I'd like to see, "Okay Mr Star Lord, here's your three room suite, lights off whenever you feel like and the prison masseuse will be around shortly to help you with any tension you're feeling. Someone will be around later to take your request for dinner."

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun
In a lot of sci-fi that's done to make a point about real-life prisons or justice systems, like the Cardassian or Romulan prisons or the mind prison thing that made you feel like you'd done a 20-year stretch in Star Trek, or some of the worlds in Stargate. But yeah, there didn't seem to be any reason for it in Guardians, they weren't making any political points about it at all.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

in chronicles of Riddick they had this except it was all "lol private sector prisons" about it.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Stottie Kyek posted:

In a lot of sci-fi that's done to make a point about real-life prisons or justice systems, like the Cardassian or Romulan prisons or the mind prison thing that made you feel like you'd done a 20-year stretch in Star Trek, or some of the worlds in Stargate. But yeah, there didn't seem to be any reason for it in Guardians, they weren't making any political points about it at all.

Prisons are scary, prisoners are animals. They probably never considered doing it any other way. How do you even film a scene in prison without rape coming up or instantly getting in a fight?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Wasn't it specifically the super lovely prison for super lovely inmates that probably exists mostly as a deterrent?

Of course then the question becomes how was their crime severe enough to get them there.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

So the society that consider themselves beacons of truth and justice imprison large numbers of people (who disproportionally dont look like them) in hellish conditions for crimes that doesnt seem to warrant those conditions. Nope, definately no possible message or parallel to be taken from that.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Its a space movie.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
irrational, dude

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
It's the Marvel Universe. Anything in space has a week, tops before it's blown up by the Kree, eaten by a giant planet or Galactus, pierced by an errant Mjolnir throw, used as a club by the Sentry, laser beamed by Captain Marvel, the site of an X-Men brawl or hijacked by Forge and rebuilt as a toaster oven. You won't bother making your fancy pants space prison nice, you want it cheap and easily cobbled together.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
incidentally there's a really good Ask Me About Prison thread in Ask/Tell, we could direct "science fiction prisons as commentary" questions to them instead

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I hate when a character goes to a new country and immediately breaks their most famous cultural rule. It's really common with people going to Japan and not taking off their shoes.

They're trying to show that the character is out of their element but it's just so obvious and lazy. "Oh no! I'm an average American businessman so I don't know people bow in this country I was sent to do business in."

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Blade Trinity is basically 90 single irritating moments edited into a movie.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

oldpainless posted:

Blade Trinity is basically 90 single irritating moments edited into a movie.

If it helps, the making of the film was one long line of irritating moments for the cast as well.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

DrBouvenstein posted:

How in the world did they get blood of an aquatic dinosaur from a mosquito?

Hell, for that matter, the sheer variety of dinosaurs they have is absurd. A mosquito has to suck the dinosaurs blood, then, before it digests the blood, it has to land on some sap, AND get stuck in the sap, AND that particular bit of sap has to get turned into amber, AND then some miners have to find that one particular piece of amber.

That's just how they explained the DNA in the first movie, who knows if they're going to continue with that explanation.

Back in 2005 some researchers discovered soft tissue in the femur of a T-Rex.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/03/0324_050324_trexsofttissue.html

While this discovery doesn't seem to have DNA, I can guarantee that people are going to start looking a little harder now knowing it can be preserved that long. It isn't beyond the realm of possibility to find intact partial sequences of DNA and patch it back together, this is a Sci-Fi movie and their manipulation of genetics is far beyond what is currently possible.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
DNA has a 521 year half-life. So the dinosaurs could have left behind freezers full of frozen samples and we'd get no useful genetic information from it.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Very true but for the sake of Jurassic Park movies they choose to ignore all of that, and middlebrows in the audience don't really care how the dinosaurs get to be alive as long as it sounds just plausible enough in the moment of exposition. Hell, there's a minority that actively celebrates when movies say "gently caress your logic and facts we're going with this and you're either on board or gently caress you" like in Looper.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
Yeah it's a movie and they just need to throw out something plausible sounding and move on to the Dinosaurs and poo poo. It's just that arguing about what method of getting the Dino DNA is most realistic is pretty much missing the point.

Also I think the half-life fact is itself interesting.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I'm irrationally irritated at the "made a new dinosaur" gimmick.

What set JP apart from other monster movies for me was that dinosaurs were very real. Even if the movies got details wrong (either outright, or because of later discoveries), T. Rex? Real. Raptors? Real (albiet Utahraptors given their size, not Veloci-).

Even the plots of the movies were based on dinosaur controversies of the time. The old "were dinosaurs warm-blooded?" and "did dinosaurs become birds?" ones shaped the first, "were dinosaurs parental?" the second, "was T. Rex really a scavenger?" the third. Even the Spinosaurus stuff was based on something.

Hell, the first Jurassic Park is the entire reason people now think of dinosaurs as fast-moving and dangerous animals instead of lumbering behemoths. Grant was supposed to be seen as a bit of an eccentric for advocating bird-like dinosaurs at the start of the movie.

Now what? Just "yeah, we made 1998's Godzilla for giggles, everybody run around in panic woooo raptor motorbike squad"?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Byzantine posted:

I'm irrationally irritated at the "made a new dinosaur" gimmick.

What set JP apart from other monster movies for me was that dinosaurs were very real. Even if the movies got details wrong (either outright, or because of later discoveries), T. Rex? Real. Raptors? Real (albiet Utahraptors given their size, not Veloci-).

Even the plots of the movies were based on dinosaur controversies of the time. The old "were dinosaurs warm-blooded?" and "did dinosaurs become birds?" ones shaped the first, "were dinosaurs parental?" the second, "was T. Rex really a scavenger?" the third. Even the Spinosaurus stuff was based on something.

Hell, the first Jurassic Park is the entire reason people now think of dinosaurs as fast-moving and dangerous animals instead of lumbering behemoths. Grant was supposed to be seen as a bit of an eccentric for advocating bird-like dinosaurs at the start of the movie.

Now what? Just "yeah, we made 1998's Godzilla for giggles, everybody run around in panic woooo raptor motorbike squad"?

Didn't the second Jurassic Park book have a chameleon dinosaur? It isn't like ridiculous hybrids are too far fetched.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Len posted:

Didn't the second Jurassic Park book have a chameleon dinosaur? It isn't like ridiculous hybrids are too far fetched.

I read the original Jurassic Park novel something like eight times in the fifth grade alone, and I could not get more than a handful of chapters into the second book; it would not surprise me.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
All I want is a movie with Navy SEALs and trained raptors killing Osama Bin Laden is that so much to loving ask.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
I want the Navy SEALs to be actual seals, though.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Len posted:

Because it was thought Carnotaurus was an ambush predator that fed on smaller prey at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Byzantine posted:

Because it was thought Carnotaurus was an ambush predator that fed on smaller prey at the time.

I wasn't aware that was a thing. But still the entire plot of the first book is "hey we built hybrid dinosaurs our of frog dna and blood from mosquitos and hope" so hey if they want to get EXTREME to reattract the youth of today then I wouldn't be surprised if they just threw poo poo into a pot to see what happened.