Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

enraged_camel posted:

Is it worth watching? Or am I going to be shaking my head the whole time?

You're going to be shaking your head the whole time but apparently people are okay with dumb shows tangentially related to superheroes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Rocksicles posted:

Binge it and watch cap 2 at episode between 15 and 16. You'll be fine

You mean between 16 and 17, no?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Apparently, Irish Joe has bad opinions wherever he goes. Ignore him, and enjoy the ride.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Barry Convex posted:

You mean between 16 and 17, no?

Yeah i did, cheers.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Irish Joe posted:

You're going to be shaking your head the whole time but apparently people are okay with dumb shows tangentially related to superheroes.

Some of us won't even stop posting about them!

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
At the very least, I refrained from complaining about Ward's five minute shaving montage that led absolutely nowhere because he was back to being scruffy the very next episode.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Irish Joe posted:

At the very least, I refrained from complaining about Ward's five minute shaving montage that led absolutely nowhere because he was back to being scruffy the very next episode.

He had a full beard before.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Rocksicles posted:

Binge it and watch cap 2 at episode between 15 and 16. You'll be fine

Shouldn't they watch Thor 2 somewhere in there as well?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Sammus posted:

Eh.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Sammus posted:

No. The only relevant bit is that Thor, at one point, fought in London and that teleportation was involved. And they tell you that in the episode.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

e X posted:

No. The only relevant bit is that Thor, at one point, fought in London and that teleportation was involved. And they tell you that in the episode.

The Sif episode also uses TDW to explain what Lorelei is doing on Earth, but it's hardly necessary viewing.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Having watched it 3 times because i have a 15 yr boy crush on Kat Dennings.... maybe.

I just naturally assume everyone watched it. But i know a fair few who haven't seen Cap 2. I had to force my friend to watch it, and she didn't understand it. But she watches the show.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Irish Joe posted:

Why do you even post?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

He doesn't understand what makes a good show, why do you think he'd understand what makes a good post?

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Awright, AoS is back tonight!
I sure hope it doesn't go on break again for awhile! :shepicide:

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

Irish Joe posted:

The point of that scene was to establish that he was prepared for war, look in the background there were several gas cans and other materiel suitable for staging a murder-suicide and arson.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Deakul posted:

Awright, AoS is back tonight!
I sure hope it doesn't go on break again for awhile! :shepicide:

Don't worry, we got Agent Carter for when it does.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

David D. Davidson posted:

Don't worry, we got Agent Carter for when it does.

Next week is the winter finale then there's a one month break and Agent Carter starts on January 6.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Bruceski posted:

Binge watching helps a lot of shows since it means you don't dwell on the bad parts. Even when AoS was floundering it had its moments, and the fickleness of memory lets us keep those parts since the rest of the show has caught up to them.

Yeah, this is exactly what happened to me with Arrow, and why I can't watch the show as it currently airs.

There's a lot of positivity regarding AoS (some of which was spewed by me), but that still doesn't stop most of the first season from being ridiculously mediocre with no redeeming factors (that Thor tie in episode, I couldn't even get through, even during the binge watch). That's why I was so surprised about season 2, and still wary about a massive dip in quality up ahead. I do find myself recommending this show to people though. With all those attendant warnings of course.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

HERAK posted:

The point of that scene was to establish that he was prepared for war, look in the background there were several gas cans and other materiel suitable for staging a murder-suicide and arson.

The montage made it seem like Ward was going to infiltrate his brother's operation in Washington (hence the suit), not go hang out in the woods for awhile. My only point is that its weird to have a 'Ward's coming to town' montage to tease something that was never going to happen.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The point of that scene was to show Ward's internal and external transition from crazy fugitive on the run mode to covert agent with his own agenda.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Over on twitter Chloe Bennet hacked Clark Gregg's twitter to prank him.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Shageletic posted:

Yeah, this is exactly what happened to me with Arrow, and why I can't watch the show as it currently airs.

There's a lot of positivity regarding AoS (some of which was spewed by me), but that still doesn't stop most of the first season from being ridiculously mediocre with no redeeming factors (that Thor tie in episode, I couldn't even get through, even during the binge watch). That's why I was so surprised about season 2, and still wary about a massive dip in quality up ahead. I do find myself recommending this show to people though. With all those attendant warnings of course.

The Thor tie-in episode is saved by the twist, in my eyes.

Then:
"Ward you loving idiot! They just said she could take control of you if you're not wearing ear protection! This show is so loving dumb!"

Yet in retrospect, him basically "making contact" with a super powerful ally like that makes complete sense. It was also an important episode for other moments like that, such as when people's eyes were rolling out of their heads about Ward liking Skye, coming off as insanely cliche and sappy, and people hating him for being a bastard to May, including almost shooting her outside of mind control.

I'm kind of a sucker for things like that. Every single sighing groan related to the plot back then was actually foreshadowing, and what's more, I believe it was planned as such at the time due to the ending.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

To be fair, there were more artful ways of making the same foreshadowing without it causing an immediate groaning response. A lot of what they did ultimately paid off, but I don't know if going from "this is a dumb cliche-ridden show" to "we were just pretending to be a dumb cliche-ridden show!" was for the best.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
There were probably better ways they could have handled it, but they kind of had to pussyfoot around what the movies had planned. I'm not sure how strictly they were forbidden from dealing with anything that could have impacted The Winter Soldier.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ashpanash posted:

To be fair, there were more artful ways of making the same foreshadowing without it causing an immediate groaning response. A lot of what they did ultimately paid off, but I don't know if going from "this is a dumb cliche-ridden show" to "we were just pretending to be a dumb cliche-ridden show!" was for the best.

Other than the Thor episode, which was close enough to things changing for it to be excusable in my eyes, this sums up 95% of season 1 pre-Turn, Turn, Turn.

I think their viewers are still down considerably from most of season 1's mishandling. I hated the "SHIELD is like 5 people" feel the show used to have in general, they've done a hugely solid job of making it feel like a bigger organization now.. ironically when it's at it's smallest in-universe.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Blazing Ownager posted:

The Thor tie-in episode is saved by the twist, in my eyes.

Eh, that's still a really flimsy reason for Ward to just act like a dipshit. It only kind of sort of maybe don't look too hard works in retrospect, and even then it's pretty shaky even by comic book logic.

Also reminder that Ward was raped by an alien but the show treated it like a sweet moment because they're both hot.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I actually like the Sif tie-in episode because it expands a little bit of the MCU by showing what Loki is doing in Asgard

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Phylodox posted:

There were probably better ways they could have handled it, but they kind of had to pussyfoot around what the movies had planned. I'm not sure how strictly they were forbidden from dealing with anything that could have impacted The Winter Soldier.
From my understanding of how media properties like this work: aggressively forbidden. The arrangements and lawyers involved with that sort of IP stuff are absolutely insane.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Phylodox posted:

Well one of their limitations was that they couldn't come anywhere near the H-word. Which is kind of a problem.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

mikeraskol posted:

Well one of their limitations was that they couldn't come anywhere near the H-word. Which is kind of a problem.

...Hawkeye? Helicarrier? Hulk? (Maximiliano) Hernandez? Howling Commandos?

EDIT: HYDRA, DUH.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Dec 3, 2014

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

...Hawkeye? Helicarrier? Hulk? (Maximiliano) Hernandez? Howling Commandos?

Hydra, sorry. I thought that was pretty obvious.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

mikeraskol posted:

No, it was obvious, I'm just a fuggin' idiot.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
Disney news blog The Laughing Place reports that Agent Carter's premiere is a double episode two hour movie.

Edit: source

http://www.laughingplace.com/w/news/2014/12/02/agent-carter-to-premiere-with-two-hour-episode/

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

mikeraskol posted:

Coulson needs his own helicarrier.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

achillesforever6 posted:

I actually like the Sif tie-in episode because it expands a little bit of the MCU by showing what Loki is doing in Asgard

I don't think it did, though. Sif had one line that kinda sounded that way, but I think people just mentally misplaced the punctuation.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Girl barefoot in a summer dress.

Joss had something to do with this episode.

GLOSS
Apr 10, 2005

PEARL GROWLS "TAKE OFF THAT SHIRT, STEVEN." I COMPLY, REVEALING THE FULL LENGTH SHIRT TATTOO. PEARL RETREATS INTO HER GEM, DEFEATED.
A flower dress, you say?

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I hope there's a backwards talking Agent Cooper in this dream sequence that would just feel right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
We start off with a barefoot girl in a flower dress, as if we needed any reminders that this is a Whedon project.

• Locked thread