Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

barbudo posted:

apologies if this has already been covered in the thread. OP is great, just wondering if there are any caveats for news photography. I'm a reporter and like to carry something along with me to shoot my own photos. I'm looking for a good camera but also a decent lens (or, if absolutely necessary, a combination of lenses) that gives me a good range to do both close-ups and distance shots. size isn't a huge factor because I like carrying around a decent sized bag anyway.

You really need to state a budget otherwise I'd recommend the Canon 5D3 with 24-70/2.8 II and 70-200/2.8 lenses, which are all perfect for your requirements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

If you're a news reporter why hasn't your employer provided you with iphone photography training?

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

alkanphel posted:

You really need to state a budget otherwise I'd recommend the Canon 5D3 with 24-70/2.8 II and 70-200/2.8 lenses, which are all perfect for your requirements.

There are some photojournalists in the Dorkroom and I know at least one (Fart Car '97) uses a X-T1 with the kit lens and Fuji is coming out with a 50-140mm that is shaping up very nicely.

I'm a journalism student and I am also using the X-T1 and like it both for work and personal uses. I actually just inherited the kit alkanphel listed (except with 5DI instead of 5DIII) and just looking at it gives me a lower back injury. You wouldn't think size matters but it really does when you're hiking 10 kilometres into a protest site carrying a tripod and mics and crap.

The canon can't be beat for video though. X-T1 is going to be better for vids come December, but still not quite there. The X-T1 also has stunning ISO performance if you're in low light a lot.

evil_bunnY posted:

If you're a news reporter why hasn't your employer provided you with iphone photography training?

When I was covering the local elections it was kind of depressing to see how much work was being done on phones. Pics, video, copy, everything. Fast is way better than high quality apparently.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Real reporters use the 1dx with the 16-35, 24-70, 70-200, 50 1.2, 85, always have a backup body, and have UV filters on everything.

If you don't have that setup then you're not a real reporter.

Real talk: buy a light weight camera, your shoulders and neck will thank you.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Geektox posted:

There are some photojournalists in the Dorkroom and I know at least one (Fart Car '97) uses a X-T1 with the kit lens and Fuji is coming out with a 50-140mm that is shaping up very nicely.

Haha if he had said size matters then the recommendation would have definitely been either the EM1 or XT1.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Geektox posted:

UHSII has faster write speeds but I'm pretty sure only the X-T1 supports it so far or at least that was the case back when it released

Are you sure? The Amazon reviews mentioned people using them with a D610. Faster continuous write speed is pretty much the only reason to spend more money on an sd card aside from buying brand name stuff so you don't get junk. That UHS-I card I got gives me noticeably faster continuous write speed when my buffer fills up which is great for shooting anything unpredictable like kids.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
Yeah, the D610 supports UHS-I, but UHS-II is a different spec where although it is backwards compatible, you're not going to get faster than UHS-I write speeds if your device only has a UHS-I host.

It has a different set of pins:

https://www.sdcard.org/developers/overview/bus_speed/

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

The camera arrived! I charged the battery up, put a SD card in it and played with the menus a bit, and then did the obvious thing for any dude who gets a new camera, I took pictures of my track car. :q:

It takes pictures too good, it shows all the terrible flaws on the car though.

It does a pretty great job of handling shooting into the sun. This is a picture the S3 would have simply failed to take. Would a polarization filter get rid of that odd thing at the bottom, or is that an indication I need to use a hood for this sort of shot, or both?

I also need to turn off the date/time stamp thing, I turned it on while playing around with the menu. Even reduced to 1920x1280 from 6000x4000 and using Jpg instead of RAW for the original, this photo is far and away better than the S3 would take, and all of these pictures were just taken with the camera in auto and no post processing (other than resizing in MS Paint, heh).

Think I'm going to be pretty happy with this.

I noticed that Amazon is running a 'Black Friday' lightning deal tomorrow at o-god thirty in the morning on the Tamron AF 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 Di LD Macro Zoom Lens. Is that something I should set an alarm for and see if it's at a stupid low price? It has great 'for the price' reviews, and the sample macro photo's are pretty amazing, and it might be nice to have a 300mm lens if it's not terrible.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I dunno about that Tamron, but I'm glad to see you're happy with the camera. I'm also jealous of your car (my e36 died early this year, and was never that good-looking).

The thing at the bottom of your second picture is flare, and is caused by shooting towards the sun. Different lenses have very different flare characteristics, multi-coating on the glass takes care of most of it (so old glass without modern coating tends to flare more) but the biggest difference comes from a lens hood (and not shooting into the sun in the first place).

If your lens doesn't have a hood, pick up a no-name knockoff hood that will fit it on eBay. Hoods that screw onto the filter ring can be pretty useful, I've got a soft rubber one that can collapse against a glass window for a good-enough seal, shooting through glass can also result in flare, glare, shadows, ghosts, and other weirdness on photos. The filter diameter of your lens will be written on the rim of the front element (the glass closest to your subject, and furthest from the camera), typical values are 49mm, 52mm, or 55mm.

A polarizer might help with flare but it also does other good things, especially when shooting cars - position the polarizer right and you wipe out the glare and reflection from glass and can see the interior more clearly. It also does good things to water, ice (not that I think you see much of that in Phoenix), and clouds.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

The Locator posted:

I noticed that Amazon is running a 'Black Friday' lightning deal tomorrow at o-god thirty in the morning on the Tamron AF 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 Di LD Macro Zoom Lens. Is that something I should set an alarm for and see if it's at a stupid low price? It has great 'for the price' reviews, and the sample macro photo's are pretty amazing, and it might be nice to have a 300mm lens if it's not terrible.

I don't have either Tamron, but I note that Tamron about to be on Amazon Black Friday sale is the older one, without vibration compensation. This one, with VC, is the recommended one from the OP. I've been eyeing that one with the VC, and I'm think the VC would be handy at those ranges.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

McCoy Pauley posted:

I don't have either Tamron, but I note that Tamron about to be on Amazon Black Friday sale is the older one, without vibration compensation. This one, with VC, is the recommended one from the OP. I've been eyeing that one with the VC, and I'm think the VC would be handy at those ranges.

Save up and get the one with VC (you can find it used for pretty good, and they run rebates pretty often [and tamron's rebate service is p. good!]). It's the best long zoom and it's comparable to the nikon/canon brands that cost 600+, it's an amazing deal if you get one for around 300.

The cheap ones are passable, but not great, and a reversed 50mm lens is probably a bit nicer for macro, and it's not really good at 300mm.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Thanks, I won't bother setting an alarm for it. I'll probably wait until after Christmas, as the kit lens is working quite well for me to learn with, and get a good quality prime lens first (unless one pops up on the black Friday/cyber Monday deals).

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Funnily enough, that Tamron lens with the VC is coming up on Amazon UKs Lightning Deal later today, so might be worth keeping an eye out there if you're a filthy Brit like me. (I can't afford it regardless, but the lightning deals have been genuinely pretty good so far). Current price is £279 and I can't see it coming down a huge amount more given the RRP (and that's how the sales value is calculated), but if you were after it anyway it might be worth a pickup.

There seems to be some not too awful camera stuff, rather than just EOL items they're trying to shift. I've already spent too much on things I was going to buy anyway so I've done pretty well,

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007
Holy hell, I really hope my order doesn't get cancelled, even if the t5 isn't the most amazing unit: http://www.canadacomputers.com/bundle_info.php?bundle_id=078893

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

Coolwhoami posted:

Holy hell, I really hope my order doesn't get cancelled, even if the t5 isn't the most amazing unit: http://www.canadacomputers.com/bundle_info.php?bundle_id=078893
$499 for a T5 is a ripoff, even with those lenses. You could buy a T3i with the 18-55 for $50 less.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Cancel it yourself and buy a camera that isn't poo poo.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

I'd rather use the old Rebel XS that I have sitting around than a T5.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007
Oh heh, they changed it already, I got it at $229

I had read about the t5/t5i before, but was having trouble determining what was overly bad about the t5 other than just a general lack of features and being slow. Any other specific complaints?

Coolwhoami fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Nov 28, 2014

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Still pretty trash.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
Still not worth it. With $250 you could buy a used T2i, which is what the T5 is based on, except the T2i still has more features.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

For 229 if they ship the camera you might be come out ahead selling the t5 and picking up a used t3i or something to go along with the lenses.

Would still rather look for a used tamron 70-300 VC for that price range though.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

Coolwhoami posted:

I had read about the t5/t5i before, but was having trouble determining what was overly bad about the t5 other than just a general lack of features and being slow. Any other specific complaints?
That is the complaint. They took a 4 year old camera, took out some important features (no spot metering, lower resolution screen, smaller viewfinder, weaker flash, slower burst, no infrared remote capabilities), then sold it at full price.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007
Hmm. Well at worst I can keep the lenses, sell the body for some amount of dollars and then put that toward a used T2i or something else that the lenses can go with (provided I can find a body only for a low price). I'm not super worried about the viewfinder/flash, but the lack of spot metering is unfortunate. Considering i'm effectively going from "borrowing my girlfriends point and shoot" to this (I had an old 5MP pentax but I lent it to someone and I never got it back) I'd be happy with anything that works at all, pretty much.

Edit: Order was cancelled by them, so that ends that. Thanks for the advice everyone though, I will ensure future purchasing decisions are less impulse driven.

Coolwhoami fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Nov 28, 2014

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

For my main purpose (my ship stuff) the Nikon with the 18-55 kit lens is going to work out really well I think. I set the camera on a tripod, set the self timer to 2 seconds so that I wouldn't be bumping it on the shot, and put the camera in auto with flash off, and from 6' away it gets this:

Scale reference - the gun ports are 3/8" square.

I figure it can only get better from here as I learn how to actually use the camera and set up shots. What thread here is the best place to ask dumb newbie questions about things as I think of them - the general photography thread, Nikon thread, this thread?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Here is fine - basic questions about aperture, shutter speed, minimum focus distance, ISO, depth of field, capturing motion, etc. are all issues that many newbies (and others) would benefit from seeing discussed.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

The Locator posted:

For my main purpose (my ship stuff) the Nikon with the 18-55 kit lens is going to work out really well I think. I set the camera on a tripod, set the self timer to 2 seconds so that I wouldn't be bumping it on the shot, and put the camera in auto with flash off, and from 6' away it gets this:

Scale reference - the gun ports are 3/8" square.

I figure it can only get better from here as I learn how to actually use the camera and set up shots. What thread here is the best place to ask dumb newbie questions about things as I think of them - the general photography thread, Nikon thread, this thread?

You might want an ML-L3 (infrared remote trigger) so you don't have to do the 2 second delay thing. They're $15.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Dren posted:

You might want an ML-L3 (infrared remote trigger) so you don't have to do the 2 second delay thing. They're $15.

Or if you have a smart phone, there are apps that can use the IR from your phone, or use an audio cable to trigger it. I use the app DSLR remote. It works really well with my Pentax. Could work for you as well. It's free, so worth a shot.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

I just disassembled a Canon 50mm f1.4 and fixed the focus ring action, and I need to tell to the Internet about it. :dance: Part of taking up photography I guess?

It didn't seem all that different skill-wise from opening a Mac Mini or the like.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

NeuralSpark posted:

It didn't seem all that different skill-wise from opening a Mac Mini or the like.

I didn't know you needed four putty knives to open a Canon 50 1.4 :v:

(Seriously have PTSD after trying to open an early C2D Mini)

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Looking at getting a camera for myself and girlfriend. She's used rebels before, I really don't know a god drat thing about photography but I love taking photos. Some deals floating around on the rebel t5 but reviews don't seem too favorable. I don't mind spending more if I'm going to get a quality device that I wont have to upgrade next year once I get used to it. Should I jump on the T5 or even D3200 or do some more research/spend a little more and try for something else? Wifi in these cameras are a thing right? I'd like that a lot.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

If you have to get a Canon for the love of god don't buy a T5. Get a T3i or a T4i instead.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Looking at $200 extra for the T3i just on a quick scout of amazon. I know what I just said about spending more but for something that's sposed to be the same product level/category? I'm not bound to either brand or model, looking for suggestions

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Can we put something like don't buy the t5 back into the title it's only going to get worse as there are more SALES SALES SALES for christmas.

or since it's a t5, BUY THIS GARBAGE BUY THIS GARBAGE BUY THIS GARBAGE

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
It should be don't buy a t5 or a superzoom.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

WHAT SHOULD I BUY THEN SHITLORDS??

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
There are about a hundred DSLRs and mirrorless-interchangeables on the market right now. The T5 is, for some reason (I know nothing about it) regarded around here as the absolute worst camera that you can buy new today.

The Nikon you mentioned - a D3200 - seems like a good place to start. What's your budget? Are you 100% set on new, or would you consider used? How about for lenses - a new body plus one or two second-hand lenses is a great way to get good gear for a reasonable budget.

At the entry-level, every camera manufacturer competes hard for your money. Go to a camera store and fondle the offerings. Find a camera you like, for a price you can afford, and buy it. If it's a T5, you'll probably be happy regardless. If it's anything else, opinion around here is that you'll be happier.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Take your pick of ~$500 new cameras, Canon, Sony, Olympus, Nikon, or Fuji.

Any of these will be way better than an T5, though really your final decision should be based on what you're doing with the camera.

The Canon, Nikon, and Sony will be far better at tracking moving targets than the Fuji or Olympus, though they're going to be bigger (except the SL1 maybe.) The Sony, Fuji, and Olympus aren't as popular mounts, so you'll also have trouble finding new lenses in a store like Best Buy or Walmart, but you should really be buying lenses online where it's not as big an issue.

edit: Also what Execudork said. The T5 is trash because it's a 2008 camera being sold at 2014 prices. The sensor is junk, the autofocus is slower, the viewfinder is tiny and cheap, you don't get any of the articulating or touch LCD stuff other cameras get. There is literally no reason to ever buy a non-i model of a Canon Rebel.

Karasu Tengu fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Dec 2, 2014

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Elliotw2 posted:

Take your pick of ~$500 new cameras, Canon, Sony, Olympus, Nikon, or Fuji.

Any of these will be way better than an SL1, though really your final decision should be based on what you're doing with the camera.

The Canon, Nikon, and Sony will be far better at tracking moving targets than the Fuji or Olympus, though they're going to be bigger (except the SL1 maybe.) The Sony, Fuji, and Olympus aren't as popular mounts, so you'll also have trouble finding new lenses in a store like Best Buy or Walmart, but you should really be buying lenses online where it's not as big an issue.

You forgot Pentax.
I'll assume that was an accident (I know it was on purpose, you jerks all hate Glorious Takumar Asahi Pentax Ricoh for no good reason at all!)

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

In terms of dslrs, it's pretty hard to get one worse than a t5. The t5 basically exists so canon can make bundle "deals" consisting of the lovely 75-250 and a basic bag so moms with young children can take "professional" photos (for facebook) (and canon can unload their stupid trash onto more people)

In terms of dslrs, sasically every other canon, nikon, and pentax dslr is better.

All that at the price approaching that of a good entry level dslr, like the T3i, T4i, T5i, D3100, D3200, D3300, or pentax whatever.
Or mirrorless whatevers as well: Sony NEX3/5/6/7/A3000/5000/6000, Olympus and Panasonic's micro4/3 things, Fuji XA1, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

ExecuDork posted:

Glorious Takumar Asahi Pentax Ricoh

mods, tia

• Locked thread