Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

source you're quotes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominus Vobiscum
Sep 2, 2004

Our motives are multiple, our desires complex.
Fallen Rib

Gazpacho posted:

What amazes me is there is an angle nobody talks about. You have a boot system that frankly nobody was really complaining about, yet all of a sudden we are being told, "oh the init is horrible, we MUST have Systemd, no question," followed by voices silenced, threads erased, secret votes.

Does this sound like the normal way Linux does things? And who is it being pushed hard by? Red Hat. Okay, so where does Red Hat get THEIR finances from? Three-letter agencies: DoD, FBI, NSA, CIA. In fact, more than 85 percent of Red Hat's money comes either directly or indirectly from the U.S. government. So, my question is this: In light of Snowden and Manning, why is nobody raising a red flag at this out-of-the-blue atypical behavior coming from the top tier of the Linux distros when it's being pushed by a corporation practically in the pocket of the USA security machine?

If you don't smell something hinky when Linux distros out of the blue adopt an "our way or the highway" while burying threads and banning users - and it all comes from a company that literally cashes checks from the NSA - I'm sorry, but this smells fishier than a tuna factory in August.

+1, Insightful

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Gazpacho posted:

What amazes me is there is an angle nobody talks about. You have a boot system that frankly nobody was really complaining about, yet all of a sudden we are being told, "oh the init is horrible, we MUST have Systemd, no question," followed by voices silenced, threads erased, secret votes.

Does this sound like the normal way Linux does things? And who is it being pushed hard by? Red Hat. Okay, so where does Red Hat get THEIR finances from? Three-letter agencies: DoD, FBI, NSA, CIA. In fact, more than 85 percent of Red Hat's money comes either directly or indirectly from the U.S. government. So, my question is this: In light of Snowden and Manning, why is nobody raising a red flag at this out-of-the-blue atypical behavior coming from the top tier of the Linux distros when it's being pushed by a corporation practically in the pocket of the USA security machine?

If you don't smell something hinky when Linux distros out of the blue adopt an "our way or the highway" while burying threads and banning users - and it all comes from a company that literally cashes checks from the NSA - I'm sorry, but this smells fishier than a tuna factory in August.
               /

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Captain Foo posted:

source you're quotes

Pretty much anyone who has to write a new service is going to groan over the poo poo-fest that is /etc/rc.d. Not even the Linux distributions have a nice well conformed set of scripts.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Suspicious Dish posted:

What graphics chip / driver are you using?

apple op

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Captain Foo posted:

source you're quotes
My dick is 20 foot long and I gently caress supermodels every night...what you won't take my word for it? Then why in da gently caress should I take yours? Citation or GTFO, quit wasting my time with worthless bullshitting. I provided citations, where is yours? That is right, you are talking out your rear end. BTW I'm gonna LMAO if you come back with a FOSSie wordpress blog as "proof". I provided actual professional websites, so don't be bringing me no wordpress wanking.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Gazpacho posted:

lol

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
new jorb uses god's own linux on the desktop, mac oh ess ten

only have to use linux on a build server :smuggo:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

MrMoo posted:

Pretty much anyone who has to write a new service is going to groan over the poo poo-fest that is /etc/rc.d. Not even the Linux distributions have a nice well conformed set of scripts.

the hard part of writing a service is daemonizing correctly. there are ten plus steps to do it correctly, and if you miss one you get bad behavior in surprising places, because the UNIX API is poo poo and poorly documented

if you think dealing with rc.d is hard, you plainly have no idea what you are doing. that is ok. admit that you don't know what you don't know, and move on with life

the sane way to write a new linux service is to use runit or supervisord or monit or whatever the gently caress you want. then you have a canned init script (the one that starts your supervisor) and the supervisor itself will handle all the hairy details of daemonization

you write a regular user-mode process, the supervisor handles all the trivia

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

I like the supervisor qmail uses, that is very transparent in operation and clearly reliable but completely different to everything else.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
hasn't qmail been abandonware for like a decade

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

if I write a program that I want to have run as a daemon and be stoppable/restartable, do I still have to write a shell script that spits my pid to a file? is it possible to write a single such script and put it in a single location that will be correct on more than one distribution, or even two versions of a distribution a couple of years apart?

we spent longer dicking around with packaging and such for our Linux support than we did getting the USB integration to work, and the people doing it are beyond expert. eventually I just told them to leave a shell script that started it in the foreground, let the barbarians sort it out.

MMXIV

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
http://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/systemd.service.html

Read this and pick a mechanism that suits you.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

cool, is that deployed widely, say > 75% of Linux desktops? that could make things ok. what directory do I drop the files it? (why doesn't that page say?)

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

click the systemd.unit(5) hyperlink noob

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Yeah systemd has emerged victorious from a long and bloody war to standardise Linux service management. All of the Linux distros that matter use systemd by default or have committed to doing so very soon.

Your packaged software should drop unit files in /usr/lib/systemd/system

Read "systemd for system administrators". It kind of begins in the middle for some reason so maybe you'll want to start with article #2 in the series instead of article #1.

http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/ (see Documentation section)

e: oh, you said desktop distros. Well, Ubuntu has said they're following Debian (which only just cemented its decision to go systemd by default) but it's going to take a while before they put out a release with systemd as the service manager. Longer still if you want to wait for an LTS that uses it.

e2: the Arch wiki has a good rapid intro to systemd as well:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Systemd

Note that it's not Arch-specific (one of the best things about systemd; it standardises a whole bunch of poo poo across every distro that uses it)

Sapozhnik fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Dec 3, 2014

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

yeah, my stuff is for linux on the desktop in this the year of linux on the desktop. (what do you do with services that need to be up in order to mount /usr, like network file systems and dhclient and so forth?)

I don't care about LTS, these are all Enthusiasts buying ostensibly-developer-kit hardware for now. IDK what all configurations we're going to support, but I hope there are fewer than 3.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

/bin, /lib, /lib64, /sbin are all symlinks to the directories in /usr because everybody finally admitted that mounting /usr separately didn't actually work and nobody ever used it specifically because it hasn't worked for a decade or more

but you can make services depend on specific filesystems being mounted and filesystems depend on disks being present or the network being up and it all works

one of the motivations for systemd was actually expressing and using these dependencies because the sysvinit method of stalling the boot for 30 seconds or whatever in udevsettle or scsi_wait_scan was idiotic and didn't always work

pseudorandom name fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Dec 3, 2014

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Subjunctive posted:

yeah, my stuff is for linux on the desktop in this the year of linux on the desktop. (what do you do with services that need to be up in order to mount /usr, like network file systems and dhclient and so forth?)

put them in an initramfs, modern Linux doesn't really support splitting / and /usr across different filesystems out of the box because these days it's an ugly solution in search of a nonexistent problem. What problem are you trying to solve by doing this?

If you really want to do that with systemd you can, it's just painful and stupid.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I don't need to be up to mount /usr, I just remember when that was a thing people did. making it unsupported is a very good approach, IMO. wish it had happened in time to save me in a previous life.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I will say that for some of the display management stuff we do Linux's stack is a lot easier to work with than Windows', holy poo poo.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I'm not sure anybody even uses network filesystems any more these days, at least not on anything Unix, I guess corporate IT uses DFS on Windows here and there. Web browsers completely and utterly killed thin clients and virtualization killed diskless servers if they ever were a thing to begin with.

The distinction between things that go in /bin vs /usr/bin and /lib vs /usr/lib is completely arbitrary. Smart distros acknowledged this a few years ago and made /bin a symlink to /usr/bin (ditto /lib, /usr/lib). Beardlord distros that nobody uses probably still have them separate and continue to reject the light of systemd because change is bad even though IT in 2014 is an ever so slightly different animal to IT from 1985.

quote:

I will say that for some of the display management stuff we do Linux's stack is a lot easier to work with than Windows', holy poo poo.

Are you talking about Wayland? because that still isn't quite production-ready yet.

If you're actually talking about X11 then holy :lol: that stack is profoundly hosed (for reasons why it took so long to fix it by way of Wayland see: resistance from beardlords, again, who don't know much about post-1985 GUI development but certainly have Opinions about it, pissing and moaning hysterically if you threaten their ability to remotely display Emacs)

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Mr Dog posted:

I'm not sure anybody even uses network filesystems any more these days, at least not on anything Unix,

uhhhh lol are you serious

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i live a sheltered life

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Mr Dog posted:

I'm not sure anybody even uses network filesystems any more these days

:stonk:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Mr Dog posted:

If you're actually talking about X11 then holy :lol: that stack is profoundly hosed (for reasons why it took so long to fix it by way of Wayland see: resistance from beardlords, again, who don't know much about post-1985 GUI development but certainly have Opinions about it, pissing and moaning hysterically if you threaten their ability to remotely display Emacs)

It's also because nobody is working on Wayland full-time for a variety of fun and unfun reasons.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Subjunctive posted:

logind makes it super cool and useful. Also you're a jerk for only testing your garbage SDK on NVIDIA hardware.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Mr Dog posted:

Your packaged software should drop unit files in /usr/lib/systemd/system

does systemd not distinguish between OS, machine, and user units?

(launchd uses Library/Launch{Daemons,Agents} directories in /System, /, and ~ to distinguish those cases, just like the rest of OS X.)

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Mr Dog posted:

I'm not sure anybody even uses network filesystems any more these days, at least not on anything Unix,

still very used, both in academia (network home directories for labs) and in industry (servers hosting both data and executables at stable paths)

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
This is all documented. Yeah, it does.

/usr/lib/systemd/system/blah.service : The version supplied by the package manager
/etc/systemd/system/blah.service : A file that an administrator can supply to completely override the packaged unit file
/etc/systemd/system/blah.service.d : A directory. The contents of files in this directory are added on to the contents of the packaged unit file.

There's also user units, which unprivileged users can run under their own credentials, these live in /usr/lib/systemd/user, /etc/systemd/user, and somewhere under ~/.local/ . Logging in starts up your own private systemd running under your account that can also manage services for you.

oh and there's /run directories for all these things as well, mostly used by "generators" which convert various legacy and runtime-probed service definitions into systemd unit files on demand.

A lot of thought has gone into systemd's design.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Suspicious Dish posted:

It's also because nobody is working on Wayland full-time for a variety of fun and unfun reasons.

what, why not?

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

eschaton posted:

what, why not?

because no1 gives a poo poo about it

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Suspicious Dish posted:

logind makes it super cool and useful. Also you're a jerk for only testing your garbage SDK on NVIDIA hardware.

it's actually just being able to manage multiple screens without insanity. not part of a desktop config, just a display device to which we can get a handle.

yes, I'm a jerk, but those are the machines we had and we knew of only one Linux-hosted developer, who also uses NVIDIA, so I pushed it out like the software kidney stone it is.

we fixed a bunch of stuff in the upcoming (tomorrow?) release for ATI and Mesa (?!?), but I'm not ready to guarantee support for anything until we see if the scheduler and such will let us sustain 90Hz. also because devoting 8% of my team to 0.04% of our users is math so bad even I can tell.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Did you fix this piece of NVIDIA insanity?

https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=54080

reinterpret_cast<GLXFBConfig>(value)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Suspicious Dish posted:

Did you fix this piece of NVIDIA insanity?

https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=54080

reinterpret_cast<GLXFBConfig>(value)

I don't recall, but I don't think we work on the open NVIDIA drivers yet.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

IDK what all configurations we're going to support, but I hope there are fewer than 3.

if you support less than 6.02e23 configs, prepare for death threats. the ~artisinal handcrafted pid files forever~ crowd is a little touchy right now.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

BobHoward posted:

if you support less than 6.02e23 configs, prepare for death threats. the ~artisinal handcrafted pid files forever~ crowd is a little touchy right now.

my plan is to require systemd, Wayland, and root on btrfs.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

eschaton posted:

does systemd not distinguish between OS, machine, and user units?

(launchd uses Library/Launch{Daemons,Agents} directories in /System, /, and ~ to distinguish those cases, just like the rest of OS X.)

i wish it was possible for apple to reorganize absolutely every trad. unix directory under / (bin, dev, usr, sbin, etc) into /System without breaking needless assumptions built into a lot of unix software

pram
Jun 10, 2001
then it wouldnt meet the posix spec you dumb bastard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

z0rlandi viSSer
Nov 5, 2013

Mr Dog posted:

I'm not sure anybody even uses network filesystems any more these days

:cb::cb::cb: