Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Beef Waifu posted:

This is a stupid discussion that sprang from some guy's joke.

Right. We all know Uremeshi and Kuwabara would beat up Goku and friends any day of the week. It'd be overkill if Hiei and Kurama show up. Part 4 of JoJo truly had the most powerful characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
If Crazy Diamond punched a saiyan, would the saiyan get an instant zenkai?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Testekill posted:

So on the subject of DBZ Multiverse, why couldn't Universe 9 get a special? I mean Krillin & Tien being the heads of their respective schools, Yamcha being an android and Videl having the Z sword. That's got some potential.

Main plot reasons, I assume.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
There's room for more side stories.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
What the gently caress have you guys been talking about

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Yeah, I hope we get to see an actual flashback of that universe in the main comic rather than risking a special similar to Bojack's.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

facebook jihad posted:

What the gently caress have you guys been talking about

Fanfiction

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
Was poking through some of my old DBZ stuff as I prepared to move. A few observations...

1) Forget Freiza, the person who really got chumped by DBZ's out of control power creep was RADITZ. One of the translations of the second Japanese DBZ episode's title was 'History's Greatest Warrior is Goku's Older Brother.' History's Greatest Warrior. And in context, why not? Both Goku (who barely beat Piccolo, who defeated GOD at the end of Dragon Ball) and Piccolo teamed up against him and they couldn't match him: they had to use trickery, a Gohan ex Machina, and a sacrifice to do him in. It's also fun to see Nappa do his first blast attack and make an incredibly deep hole and Piccolo flipping out that the blast was so intense he can't even see the bottom of the hole it made and how strong that makes Nappa.

2) Interesting note on when we first meet Nappa and Vegeta: Vegeta suggests using the Dragon Balls for immortality ("No death! No age!") as we all know, but not a single mention or hint of Freiza and how this could be used against him. Makes one wonder just when Toriyama came up with the Freiza idea and how seat of his pants the writing of Dragon Ball was. You'd think maybe they'd drop a hint in re-releases considering the whole story is now told. (Freiza does, however, muse on Super Saiyans early in his incredibly long arc)

3) When Vegeta tries and fails to steal the third wish just before the actual Freiza fight starts, the translation says "You won't be able to kill me now, Freiza! I'll wear you down! Sooner or later, some day, I will defeat you!" Which indicates 1) Immortality seems to come with safeguards that would prevent issues like being cut in half, or buried alive, and so on, or 2) Vegeta THINKS it does and might have gotten a very rude surprise. It also seems that Vegeta basically planned to play The Horribly Slow Murderer With The Extremely Inefficient Weapon against Freiza.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Yeah, I always figured that if Vegeta got the Dragon Balls and wished for immortality, Frieza would cut him in half and leave him in a state of permanent near death so that his Zenkai couldn't activate and make him stronger.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Yeah, Freeza was definitely not in Toriyama's head during the Saiyan saga, or at least was in the back of his head as a thing he could do in one series or another. That's why the whole "a meteor blew up our planet" thing existed to begin with, because it just made more sense thematically to have it be Freeza who pulled that poo poo.

I can't remember if Toriyama ever confirmed when he first came up with Freeza, but it's really obvious if you look back.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Cornwind Evil posted:

3) When Vegeta tries and fails to steal the third wish just before the actual Freiza fight starts, the translation says "You won't be able to kill me now, Freiza! I'll wear you down! Sooner or later, some day, I will defeat you!" Which indicates 1) Immortality seems to come with safeguards that would prevent issues like being cut in half, or buried alive, and so on, or 2) Vegeta THINKS it does and might have gotten a very rude surprise. It also seems that Vegeta basically planned to play The Horribly Slow Murderer With The Extremely Inefficient Weapon against Freiza.

No one in the canon story ever gets immortality from the dragon, and the one dude who got a wish and who would know a thing or two about how they worked, Piccolo, never even bothered to wish for immortality. I'm not sure immortality is within Shenron's power to grant, which would have been a great way to end the Freeza saga. Freeza reaches the dragon, wishes for immortality and Poranga just says "nah, immortality is impossible, sorry".

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
The thing is, immortality would have had zero impact on the story. Son Goku doesn't kill Freeza anyway, so it really wouldn't have mattered for the fight on Namek. He would still end up as a Cyborg to be sliced into pieces by Trunks. The only difference would be that those slices would have been eternally alive.

Though, admittedly, since Ki comes from your life force, you could argue that immortality also means unlimited Ki, which would be quite an advantage.

e X fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Dec 2, 2014

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
An immortal sayian would be a BIG deal. Literally, he could just kill himself multiple times and abuse zenkai until he is stronger than Beerus.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Covok posted:

An immortal sayian would be a BIG deal. Literally, he could just kill himself multiple times and abuse zenkai until he is stronger than Beerus.

This assumes he can get cut in half in the first place after becoming immortal.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

TheKingofSprings posted:

This assumes he can get cut in half in the first place after becoming immortal.
I'm positive the only reason that nobody ever became immortal in DBZ proper was to avoid having to deal with the logistics of what the gently caress immortality even means.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Twiddy posted:

I'm positive the only reason that nobody ever became immortal in DBZ proper was to avoid having to deal with the logistics of what the gently caress immortality even means.

In some interpretations, immortality simply means immunity to the tyranny of time. There are quite a few works of fiction where you can kill an immortal, but they just don't age.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Covok posted:

In some interpretations, immortality simply means immunity to the tyranny of time. There are quite a few works of fiction where you can kill an immortal, but they just don't age.

Yeah. Good immortality is generally agelessness and resistance to disease, or that + regeneration. Bad is usually missing the agelessness part.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Covok posted:

Yes. My point was that Toriyama didn't even care to find a suitable "interpretation" or make one of his own.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Why would he, I mean just the sound of Freeza trying to become immortal and be king of the universe for eternity was scary enough.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
I guess the fact that Toriyama never planned for any of his canon villains to succeed meant he never had to actually nail down what 'immortality' was. Consulting the Dragon ball wiki suggests that there are several forms of immortality that function under 'never age', but it being granted by the Dragon Balls solely based on Garlic Jr suggests someone who gains that kind of immortality cannot die at all, in any way. Since Jr was never cut in half or buried under something heavy, we'll never know if that meant 'never die and suffer forever' or 'your body will simply not let itself be cut and will render itself able to function without air'.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Didn't Garlic Jr. Get blasted through the stomach and was able to function normally afterward? It happened in that filler arc where all the civilians turned feral or something.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Momomo posted:

Didn't Garlic Jr. Get blasted through the stomach and was able to function normally afterward? It happened in that filler arc where all the civilians turned feral or something.

Yeah he did, and it immediately grew back, so DBZ Dragon granted immortality apparently comes with regeneration as well

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I feel the important bit about immortality and why it wouldn't work lies sort of with the same problem with why they couldn't just wish to kill the Saiyans or disable their pods when they were heading to Earth: It cannot do anything that Kami cannot do. I would presume Piccolo knew this and wished for young age, especially since he was already connected intimately with Kami. Just like destroying the dragon balls would have been incredibly inconvenient for them all, the fact is, the immortality that the dragon could grant would probably still be limited by the life-expectancy of their creators.

And let's face it, Freeza would have killed everyone as soon as he got his wish, presumably destroying his own wish in the process.

Also, I imagine the immortality granted would be close to the healing ability Dende possesses.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

I wish Planet Vegeta had Dragonballs

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I wish this Bojack special would end right now forever.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Babe Magnet posted:

I wish this Bojack special would end right now forever.

It's this or six months of no updates.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I do find it funny how bad it is. While the art isn't the most awkward, insane poo poo I've seen in the specials, it's got a lot of doofy-looking dudes. The dialogue is also bad. Who the hell calls someone a shithead and then threatens to "wallop" them?

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Just have the person that did that second Gast special do every other one from now on.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

I can't wait for the Arale special.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Mordaedil posted:

It's this or six months of no updates.

If that meant we got batch updates that'd be cool.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
So, uh, apparently this is happening?

I'm not sure how to feel about this.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Some Numbers posted:

But ... why?

e X fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Dec 3, 2014

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Ah, a live action Dragonball series...

THEY NEVER LEARN

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Crosspeice posted:

Ah, a live action Dragonball series...

THEY NEVER LEARN

At least they did a good job with the 17/18 characters.... I'm really pulling off the bottom of the barrel for something good to say.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Someone please outlaw child actors.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Some Numbers posted:

It's been under works for a while, I've seen a few pictures come up here and there. From what I've seen it looks good, aka not a complete joke like Evolution was, and it helps that they're taking on Future Trunks' story which is relatively self-contained.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
I dunno, looks pretty nifty to me. I don't think DBZ can be done live action, so no matter what its going to look goofy. This at least seems to respect the source material.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Yeah, I think they did a good job casting 17 and 18 and from the other videos, they seem to be respecting the material and the guy playing 17 is a huge DBZ fan.

And yet, the bit of dialogue in that trailer is almost painful.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, looks like a well-produced but still janky and uncomfortable fan-film to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
It could always be worse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtCtQpclpY8

• Locked thread