Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

What if the second-order vampire orders the third-order vampire to obey the alpha vampire at all times, then the alpha vampire orders the third-order vampire to kill the second-order vampire? Are there some kind of base laws of roboticsvampirism that sort out which orders he's compelled to follow in the event of a paradox?

And hey, looks like Belkar's got a date! I'm sure this won't go terribly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Kajeesus posted:

Or that Durkula would be lawful evil.

It doesn't even matter if Durkula is lawful, Protection from X stops domination from all sources.

Then again, having Protection from Evil on him shouldn't have hurt Belkar even though he's evil.

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know

Dolash posted:

What if the second-order vampire orders the third-order vampire to obey the alpha vampire at all times, then the alpha vampire orders the third-order vampire to kill the second-order vampire? Are there some kind of base laws of roboticsvampirism that sort out which orders he's compelled to follow in the event of a paradox?

Sub-vampires are described as "enslaved" so I don't imagine anything would stop that sort of kill-loop. The rule is the the immediate parent has total control, and that includes "kill yourself by ordering your sub-vampire to set you on fire".

If a vampire's immediate parent dies, that vampire is instantly free-willed, so in the above scenario the sub-sub vampire is fully self-controlled as soon as its parent burns up (which is what happened with Durkula).

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
Does Durkon even need to control any vampires? If the gnome clerics follow the same pantheon, wouldn't they convert to Hel once they're free-willed?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Mniot posted:

Sub-vampires are described as "enslaved" so I don't imagine anything would stop that sort of kill-loop. The rule is the the immediate parent has total control, and that includes "kill yourself by ordering your sub-vampire to set you on fire".

If a vampire's immediate parent dies, that vampire is instantly free-willed, so in the above scenario the sub-sub vampire is fully self-controlled as soon as its parent burns up (which is what happened with Durkula).
The solution here is misinformation. Claim to have come up with a way to have your will permeate through the 'family' tree (it'd help if you were a Wizard or somesuch), so even if a younger vampire 'breaks free', they're still under the assumption that they're beholden.

Or just use more mundane methods of control as a back-up.

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know

Loki_XLII posted:

Does Durkon even need to control any vampires? If the gnome clerics follow the same pantheon, wouldn't they convert to Hel once they're free-willed?

The way I've seen vampires run in D&D is that they're the same person "but evil". But Rich has come up with his own system and I don't think he's explained much of it.

Durkon's demon follows Hel. Is that because Durkon's from the northern pantheon? Or because Malak selected that? Or because Hel was there when the call for a vampire demon went out?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
"Free-willed" may be a bit of an overstatement. I'd assume that any thrall created and released by Durkula would just be another body run by a Hel-born spirit.

Heh, I just realized we did get a jailer/captor subplot, like Tarquin wanted.

E: ^"Nergal's snake may have sired you, but the dwarves fall under my purview. Your dark spirit was birthed in my hall."

E2: Also two strips later, Yurkon says "Usually the process takes a few months," so I'm guessing Durkon's situation is pretty standard.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Dec 1, 2014

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Zoe posted:

on topic: So if all it takes is a dispel spell than Belkar still can't match up to him in a fight. I wonder if he has the sense to keep it hidden away as an ace in the hole for the inevitable showdown...normally I say 'haha no' but he displayed all kinds of surprising brain activity in this one comic alone so who knows.

I think Belkar would find it really funny to pretend to be dominated and then stab someone in the back, so I think it's plausible that he would do it.

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know
Going by the RAW for Dominate Person, the vampire should be able to tell if the domination succeeded. And Belkar's bauble suppresses the domination but does not stop it. So Durkon could dominate, notice that he's not feeling anything, and slap away the bauble to take command of Belkar.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Mniot posted:

Going by the RAW for Dominate Person, the vampire should be able to tell if the domination succeeded. And Belkar's bauble suppresses the domination but does not stop it. So Durkon could dominate, notice that he's not feeling anything, and slap away the bauble to take command of Belkar.

srd posted:

Obviously self-destructive orders are not carried out.

Uhh..

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

If we're being super spergy, he gets a new will save if he's told to jump off a cliff. If we're not, he's gonna do whatever because it's funny.

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know
Maybe Belkar's so stupid he doesn't understand the danger of jumping off the airship? Or maybe it's yet another falling-damage-in-D&D joke.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Mniot posted:

Maybe Belkar's so stupid he doesn't understand the danger of jumping off the airship? Or maybe it's yet another falling-damage-in-D&D joke.

If you want to get rules lawyery then that provision wouldn't trigger because falling damage caps at 20d6 so it wouldn't be obviously self destructive to Belkar because he could survive it. If we're not going to get rules lawyery then as wiegieman said it doesn't work because Belkar jumping is funny.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I'd love to hypothesize that Belkar is actually neutral now and the item really is faulty. And him trusting it to work will get him killed.

Please don't correct me, I know I'm wrong.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Well, Old Belkar would've simply murdered the shopkeep and taken her magic items, so maybe he really is neutral-ing out.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Dolash posted:

:eng101: Actually he doesn't have a date! After ripping her off for thousands of gold, in a rare bout of conscience-having he turned down the chance to exploit her further.

Does this mean he's Lawful good now?! I bet it does!!

Deific Presence
May 7, 2007
Well he was kinda doing her a favor since she would have otherwise thrown the amulet away, so at least she got half price instead of nothing.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Zoe posted:

:eng101: Actually he doesn't have a date! After ripping her off for thousands of gold, in a rare bout of conscience-having he turned down the chance to exploit her further.

Does this mean he's Lawful good now?! I bet it does!!

Wait, is that what happened? I misread his excuse-making to the cat in the final panel being him trying to explain why he took her up on the lunch offer.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Dolash posted:

Wait, is that what happened? I misread his excuse-making to the cat in the final panel being him trying to explain why he took her up on the lunch offer.

He definitely accepted the date.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Colonel Cool posted:

But I guess a negative level seems like a reasonable enough houserule for an evil character having it cast on him?
That would be way too good offensively for a level 1 spell (though it would offer a will save, used this way). The protection spells having no effect on the creatures they protect from is by design.

Zoe posted:

\on topic: So if all it takes is a dispel spell than Belkar still can't match up to him in a fight.
A dispel effect only suppresses magic items for 1d4 rounds (Durkon probably isn't going to be pulling out Disjunction). That being said the CL is probably going to be fairly low, so at least the dispel check is likely to succeed. (This assumes that it's a continuous effect, which it looks like it is. The alternative is use-activated, in which case whenever Durkon casts a dispel Belkar can then just reactivate the item before Durkon gets a chance to use his Dominate ability.)

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Allstone posted:

A dispel effect only suppresses magic items for 1d4 rounds (Durkon probably isn't going to be pulling out Disjunction). That being said the CL is probably going to be fairly low, so at least the dispel check is likely to succeed. (This assumes that it's a continuous effect, which it looks like it is. The alternative is use-activated, in which case whenever Durkon casts a dispel Belkar can then just reactivate the item before Durkon gets a chance to use his Dominate ability.)

I'm pretty sure the whole "rub the clasp" thing is the activation mechanism and it just casts the spell on the wearer. And it makes much more sense if it's a use per day activation item rather than unlimited charges. Unlimited charges would be a hell of a lot more expensive.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

Brannock posted:

Hmm. What are the odds she's related to the gnome Belkar murdered?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
It seems more like he's trying to justify why he turned her down through justifications that AREN'T "I'm developing a conscience" leading up to the "I don't even like gnome food... that much."

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Brannock posted:

Rich confirmed that Belkar turned down the date.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?386278-OOTS-969-The-Discussion-Thread posted:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=18472959&postcount=8 posted:

xroads

It’s not entirely clear in the last panel what Belkar said as a response to the merchant. Did he turn her down? I think so, but am not sure.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=18472962&postcount=11 posted:

The Giant

Yes, he turned her down.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Belkar interacted with somebody in a manner that involved neither anger nor lust! Varsuuvius would be surprised!

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Damnit, that's sad. Belkar Date Night would've been hilarious.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Kajeesus posted:

Ahh, fair.

Maybe it gives a negative level? I think that's the standard effect for evil characters trying to use good items and vice versa.

That's only if the item itself is good. A clasp enchanted with Protection from Evil shouldn't be powerful enough to have an alignment.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Colonel Cool posted:

I'm pretty sure the whole "rub the clasp" thing is the activation mechanism and it just casts the spell on the wearer. And it makes much more sense if it's a use per day activation item rather than unlimited charges. Unlimited charges would be a hell of a lot more expensive.
Rules as written, the continuous version costs 4000 gold, and making it charges per day makes it cost 800 gold per charge. She says the items cost thousands of gold to make - items with a continuous level 1 spell effect turn out to be really cheap overall.

Kajeesus posted:

Maybe it gives a negative level? I think that's the standard effect for evil characters trying to use good items and vice versa.
Bestowing negative levels for non-matching alignment isn't actually all that common in magic items. In the SRD there are the alignment weapon enchantments, four specific items (one of which is an artifact), and some intelligent items.

is that good fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Dec 2, 2014

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Allstone posted:

Rules as written, the continuous version costs 4000 gold, and making it charges per day makes it cost 800 gold per charge. She says the items cost thousands of gold to make - items with a continuous level 1 spell effect turn out to be really cheap overall.

Alright fair enough. I guess a CL 1, continual use, protection from evil item isn't unreasonable. Maybe the rubbing the clasp bit is just turning it on/off.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

JosephWongKS posted:

Rich confirmed that Belkar turned down the date.

I was confused when I read this strip at first, and then it made far more sense when somebody told me Belkar turned down the date

This is one of the most poorly written punchlines in the strip to date, and that says something

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
New comic.

I think this is the first time Use Magic Device has been alluded to.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Carrasco posted:

New comic.

I think this is the first time Use Magic Device has been alluded to.

Haley uses it in the Dragon comics book, but yeah, in the main comic, it is.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Oh yeah Durkula isn't making it to the Dwarven lands.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Rumda posted:

He's going to make it. He has prophecy on his side.

Belkar on the other hand...

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Rumda posted:

Of course he is. How else can he "bring death and destruction to us all" the next time he returns home? Now whether he goes home with the Order, on his own, or at the head of a new team of super-villains? That's yet to be decided, but Durkon is going home.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Is that... Thog? Let it be Thog.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Lurking in the shadows isn't really Thog's style.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Yeah, my money's on Bozzok.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Therkla lives!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Probably Bozzok and I wouldn't be surprised if whoever Haley's nemesis was is there too. Kind of hard to imagine them posing much threat to the order by themselves though.