Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

Felony posted:

So I just got the Corsair and well...

Only 1 assist with the other 2 planes.
Were you playing BnZ? Had no luck with the corsair myself, did far better with the faster-turning American planes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BubbaGrace
Jul 14, 2006

Infinite Monkeys posted:

Were you playing BnZ? Had no luck with the corsair myself, did far better with the faster-turning American planes.

Mostly turn fighting larger targets, like dual prop fighters and bombers. I had no idea what I was getting in to, so I was probably doing it wrong. I would say the Corsair is more of a BnZ plane than a dog fighter. I'm pretty sure I just got lucky with pubbies doing dumb things.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut

Unreal_One posted:

In arcade, it's hampered by having (non-russian) .30's, so it's not going to be a plane shredder no matter what you do. However, it's got like a 1.7 BR, so it can fight planes that are ludicrously slow next to it.

Any reason to use it over the MC.202 in RB? Seems pretty similar performance wise but the 202 has a couple 50s at least.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
So, the best way to grind out research? Arcade, realistic, sim? Just use one plane, use em all in the same match?

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Bob Mundon posted:

Any reason to use it over the MC.202 in RB? Seems pretty similar performance wise but the 202 has a couple 50s at least.

Those are Italian .50s, they pack about as much punch as a warm summer breeze

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Infinite Monkeys posted:

Is the first 109 good? Can't tell if it's a bad plane or I'm just terrible with it. I play arcade so BnZ isn't great, but I've done absolutely terribly with it every time I've tried.

Pick your targets carefully; if you dive on a target and he starts a turn, abandon the attack and retain your energy, he's trying to get you to bleed energy to maintain lead. if you don't have the energy advantage, you have gently caress all.

The 109 is a beast in straight lines, although be warned that the US planes tend to be able to keep up...you want to avoid turning in the 109 at all, although when I'm heading for altitude or looking for a target, I'm maintaining a wide and fast banking arc. Think 'hawk' and you have a really good approximation of what you should be doing....stoop, shoot and get the gently caress out.

Full disclosure, I'm fairly poo poo and play RB exclusively unless on the PS4. Also the E3 is better than the E1 because invasion stripes. I'm really shallow.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Infinite Monkeys posted:

Is the first 109 good? Can't tell if it's a bad plane or I'm just terrible with it. I play arcade so BnZ isn't great, but I've done absolutely terribly with it every time I've tried.

I kind of hate it, becuase planes with .30s are weak unless they fly amazingly like early Japan or Russia. Then again, it tends to go against early Spitfires that have the same stupid guns but fly way worse so :shrug:

damug
Jun 21, 2004

Asproigerosis posted:

So, the best way to grind out research? Arcade, realistic, sim? Just use one plane, use em all in the same match?

The best way to grind out research is to play whatever you have the most fun playing.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

damug posted:

The best way to grind out research is to play whatever you have the most fun playing.

In my experience the best way to grind research is find the planes you have the most fun in that are tier-appropriate for the research (a pretty important qualifier). I have fun and I still get to feel like I'm actually making progress, compared to trying to unlock T4 stuff in T2 which is an exercise in frustration. And, since I'm bad at RB I get more RP out of Arcade, but if you're decent at RB you can more easily spade planes, at least going from the few RBs in which I've done well.

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

For ~optimum RP gain~ nothing beats paying real money for premium planes, stacking it with premium time and if you really want to get crazy, doing a great job on a 2x RB game. Unfortunately that's going to cost you a non-negligible sum of money, especially if you want to do it for multiple nations.

If you want to actually have fun, just do what everyone else is suggesting and fly planes you like in the mode you like in the correct era for whatever you're trying to research and call it a day. My particular addition to this advice is to play planes you haven't spaded yet, assuming they're not intolerable pieces of poo poo - this gives you experience in various types of aircraft and lets you know what they're good bad / at, which helps you to fight them, keeps you from "wasting" modifications RP by flying the same mastered plane all the way to jets, and every time you finish unlocking a chunk of upgrades for a plane, you get another little tick of RP toward the plane you're researching - win / win / win.

Plus later you can use your hangar of spaded Swordfish / Po-2s / Hs. 129s as some sort of weird dick measuring currency in this very thread when someone comes on here to complain about them.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

The 109 E1 is a clubber if you know what you're doing. Yeah is got lovely guns, but so do most of the planes it faces at that level barring some of the American planes.

Mr Darcy
Feb 8, 2006
Following on from P80 chat. How do you fight a sea meteor in the P80 or F80? Okay, so Hokkaido US teams don't help. When a couple of P80s have crashed on take off, a B24 breaks it's wings in a dive and a B57 (B47?) has pissed off into LEO it isn't fun taking on a swarm of meteors. But for those fleeting moments when the stars are right I just can't seem to get an advantage against one.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Ludicro posted:

The 109 E1 is a clubber if you know what you're doing. Yeah is got lovely guns, but so do most of the planes it faces at that level barring some of the American planes.

The guns are quite okay. You just need to get a solid burst in.

Dogfather
May 31, 2008
the P80's only strength is it's speed. BnZ is all you can do.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

The E-1 is a good plane and very competitive at its tier. Sometimes it ends up against poo poo like Yak-1s which it has little to no hope against, but most of the time it's fine.

It's also got some sweet skins and is fun to fly in the Battle of Britain event that pops up every now and then when you get an air start and go up against Spit Is/Hurricanes.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
E1 is hardmode imo because you often have to successfully bounce on your enemy multiple times and cripple them until they go down. But then again, there are times where you can just lightly graze something like a Typhoon and for some reason its wing gets cut off. It just feels like the single pass kills are about as rare as when flying the F-1, which is very low for a 109 where literally every other variant is built for instagibbing. The E's also like to lock up in dives a lot sooner than the rest.

The main strength of each plane in that series is that they are literally untouchable against everything it comes up against unless you put yourself in a bad position at worst should only ever happen in RB Norway because it's like Battle of Britain for the allies.

Thief fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Dec 1, 2014

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
The E-1 is one of the few 109s which need to stay behind a target for a bit. And they can do it, thanks to being rather light. They are agile enough to do it. BnZ enemies is something better done with other planes (110s, yes seriously). The early 109s allow you to sit on the six of most enemies and stay there with barrel rolls, YoYo and the like. This makes it easier for non-engaged fighters to attack you. But it also increases your odds to shoot someone down.

Also:
-Don't be afraid to fire a full second burst into someone (you do have a bit of ammo)
-Use Omni/Stealth ammo
-Fire at convergence (200 to 250m recommended)
-Get into convergence range, the MG17s do lose a bit of power at 300m.

Important Note: Do not try to turnfight I-16s and any bi-planes

P.S.
Norway
Head directly to your own strategic targets after take off (do climb). Once you reached them turn north and continue climbing. Once you're close to A you'll be able to spot enemy dots moving away from you. Most of them will not consider the possiblity of an enemy plane on their 6. Continue climbing and engage whenever you want.
And don't fly alone :D.

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3

Dogfather posted:

the P80's only strength is it's speed. BnZ is all you can do.

This is wrong in regards to fighting jets in it. The P-80 has some absolute bullshit turning ability against Meteors/Migs and the like. Feel free to turn and hurt folks in Jets.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
The Po-2 of ground forces: (WW1)

YarPirate
May 17, 2003
Hellion

Asproigerosis posted:

That entirely depends on what era and nation you're researching, and (as has been said before) what you enjoy the most.

Personally, I'm working on jets in all nations, so I talisman'd a good ground attack aircraft in every nation. Flying RB ground attack is pretty relaxing for the most part, as long as you can tolerate encountering lawn mowing 109s/Tigercats/Tempests/La-9s intercepting you early on in a lot of games. When you fly against a team that climbs, or you manage to find yourself alone in a target-rich environment, it really pays off.

For example, I had a good round a week or so ago in an Me-410 B6/R3 (or whatever it's called... the one with twin 30mm). 8 tank kills and one kill on a stray Tigercat that wanted to head-on = 31,000 RP toward Ho-229. Bonuses are: Talisman on 410, 2x bonus, premium account. Games like that aren't entirely rare, either - last night I got around 25k with the IL-10 doing the same thing.

The important thing, as has been said already, is to find something that won't make you pull your hair out.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

It's generally accepted (provided you're halfway decent at the game) that Arcade is the fastest mode to research things in, but you'll get more lions playing RB.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
I made a sequel gif.

Wooper posted:

Never head on - Mustang can't handle the K-4 not flying straight at him. I didn't want to head on but then he gave me a good shot.

Head on: the sequel

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
Q: Do you know what War Thunder needs?
A: More Jet Bombers!

quote:

Although the Canberra was designed as a high-altitude bomber it handled excellently at the low-altitudes. As the RAF needed a low-level attack aircraft the Canberra’s was the right choice. B.6 version was modified for the “intruder” role and named “B(I).6″.

In order to accomplish “intruder” or attacker roles, cannons were necessary and a special cannon pack was designed by Boulton-Paul, 4x 20mm Hispano cannons with 525 rounds per gun. The gunsight was fitted in the cockpit and a cannon pack could fit into a bomb bay while leaving front part free for a bomb load. “B(I).6″ also had 2 pylons for bombs or SNEB rockets.

Dogfather
May 31, 2008

TheFonz posted:

This is wrong in regards to fighting jets in it. The P-80 has some absolute bullshit turning ability against Meteors/Migs and the like. Feel free to turn and hurt folks in Jets.

That's good to know, I've mostly fought props in it. The few jets I've encountered were r2y2, ki200 and ho229. The only migs I had the chance to fight either ran away or outnumbering me 4 to 1.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Tank Boy Ken posted:

The E-1 is one of the few 109s which need to stay behind a target for a bit. And they can do it, thanks to being rather light. They are agile enough to do it. BnZ enemies is something better done with other planes (110s, yes seriously). The early 109s allow you to sit on the six of most enemies and stay there with barrel rolls, YoYo and the like. This makes it easier for non-engaged fighters to attack you. But it also increases your odds to shoot someone down.

Everyone loves a turning 109 on the deck. It's like Christmas for everyone. Having said that, when you're down to the last couple of planes, you can certainly chase them down, but without the height advantage you're going to be slightly inferior to things that actually like to engage there.

You know all of this, I'm just attempting to bask in the reflected glory. Also, going back to the mustang chat, a 109 under 375km/h handles like a brick on ice.

Also, be careful when searching for 109 resources. It seems that :hitler:Stormfront.org:hitler: has an interest in Nazi hardware that intersects uncomfortably. :shepicide:

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.

Tank Boy Ken posted:

owns

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

Tank Boy Ken posted:

yesssssssssss

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Hav posted:

Everyone loves a turning 109 on the deck. It's like Christmas for everyone. Having said that, when you're down to the last couple of planes, you can certainly chase them down, but without the height advantage you're going to be slightly inferior to things that actually like to engage there.

Yes every nation you're facing with the early 109s (E and F series) has some planes that will outmaneuver them. I-16s, I-153s, Spitfires, Hurricanes, F2A3s, F6Fs etc. BnZing and E-fighting those is the better choice. Though the E-1 is a special case. It's a lot lighter than later 109s and thus more agile. But you should make sure that no true turnfighter is around. Before engaging a Yak at low altitude. Though the E-1 does turn better than a Mc202. On the other hand, it does have worse energy retention.

Any cannon plane (even the MG151/15) can BnZ other planes and should do it. Use the armored target belt on the 151/15 (109F2). This allows you to kill the enemy pilot from the 6 position. This belt is also quite good at punching hole into medium tanks (works against Shermans).

When flying the 109 E-1, I usually don't start a fighting against a Yak-1 with going into an up close and personal dogfight. I tend to "BnZ" the Yak and try to just get some hits in. Just a few hits will decrease the overall performance (more drag). Think of the MG17s as being quite good at "debuffing" the enemy plane. With a bit of luck a short spray will also cause a coolant leak.
The Yak will be a lot easier to "manage" after 2-3 attacks with "just a few hits". Easy enough to allow you to slot in behind it and giving it a good burst.
Important Notes:
-Make sure that no one else will gently caress you up while you sit on the 6 of your future victim.
-If you're opponent isn't a total fool, he'll try to make you overshoot. So be careful and be prepared to drop flaps and be willing to downthrottle.

sturgeon general
Jun 27, 2005

Smells like sushi.

6.3 BR.

Lee Outrageous
Jul 21, 2006

General

Tank Boy Ken posted:

I forsee many wing rips in the future.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Tank Boy Ken posted:

That thing is going to gently caress up so many AB games.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
So I had a really good game of RB earlier today where the entire round an MC.200 kept dogging me in my Yak-1. We met and flew around each other 2 times barely scoring any hits in that match before the final one where this happened.

https://gfycat.com/GlitteringUnlawfulKoala

If those .50's of his did anything more than tickle I would have been very dead.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
Gonna go ahead and share just how nice some of the bonuses can be:

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

I finally started reading the dev blog:

God drat, I'm so ready for a US tanks, though it's gonna be hard to balance the M103, even against the IS4 and King Nazi.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

I read somewhere that they're going to add the Leopard 1 so maybe that'll even things up? :shrug:

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

BBJoey posted:

I read somewhere that they're going to add the Leopard 1 so maybe that'll even things up? :shrug:

A good chunk of the Tier II tanks can frontally pen a Leo 1 (at least the earliest version, which is the most likely for this game). I think the M103 would be on even-ish against an IS4, but way above the KT. It'd be relatively evenly matched by a Conqueror, if it was introduced.

Plan Z fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Dec 2, 2014

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
Man, no matter how frustrating this game can get, rapid fire low velocity HEAT rounds always manage to make everything better. The firing arc can be a great thing when shooting at sloped armor.

http://gfycat.com/PeriodicGenerousCob

e: please use a slide whistle when viewing

Sard fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Dec 2, 2014

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
The angle of impact of your round and the one shown in the hitcam don't match AT ALL. That's some magic bullet stuff, :tinfoil:
Regardless, the 100mm of penetration from Germany's model C HEAT rounds is awesome. It's a shame most of their 75mms only get the B version with 80mm of penetrating power.

Roumba fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Dec 2, 2014

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Roumba posted:

The angle of impact of your round and the one shown in the hitcam don't match AT ALL. That's some magic bullet stuff, :tinfoil:
Maybe just the lag between what you see and what the server computes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Plan Z posted:

A good chunk of the Tier II tanks can frontally pen a Leo 1 (at least the earliest version, which is the most likely for this game). I think the M103 would be on even-ish against an IS4, but way above the KT. It'd be relatively evenly matched by a Conqueror, if it was introduced.

I think it really depends on if they drop accuracy across the board and make it more crew-skill/equipment dependent. Not so much that shooting just becomes an RNG game, but a drop in long-range accuracy in AB in particular would a) encourage people to shift to RB/SB because the difference is less pronounced anyway and b) open up more potential for modern mediums to shine with long range tracking and killing power.

• Locked thread