Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

td4guy posted:

A buddy of mine has a Mac running OS X 10.10.1 Yosemite. He has a 250GB Samsung 840 (neither Pro nor EVO) with 20% not partitioned. Should he worry about enabling TRIM for performance reasons? Or is having that unprovisioned space enough for it to work fine on its own?

20% should be plenty for performance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Managed to get the SSD installed and migrated my system over to it yesterday. Things seem to be working pretty well as even on my quite old ASUS motherboard I'm getting 250/250 on the sequential read/writes. The Samsung test says I'm getting between 20-30 on these on my spinning disk internal drives which is slower than I expected, I guess it might be due to setup.

A few questions..

1) The ACPI element mentioned in the first post... how much of a performance difference does this make? I'm currently getting a hanging system when I switch my SATA driver over to ACPI in the BIOS. I'm guessing plugging away at drivers/settings might fix it but as the system is currently working, if it's not going to be an obvious speed boost I might just leave it as is. My mobo actually mentioned BSOD on boot over ACPI and offers this advice. Does it sound likely? The cable management off my modular PSU is already a nightmare in my case (it's an HTPC one that has so little room it's unbelievable). It's probably more to do with needing correct drivers/BIOS update but willing to try this if necessary. edit: just realised that AHCI not ACPI... doh.

2) If I get this PCIe card, will I get the full benefit of the drive, or is PCIe 1x not fast enough for this and I wouldn't see much difference to my motherboard connections. It makes sense for me to move the SSD to this as I need a port multiplied eSATA connection for my external unit, and 2 of the 6 SATA ports on my mobo are JMIcron and apparently these suck. I'm resigning the BluRay over to this for now (if I can even get them working...)

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Dec 2, 2014

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

EL BROMANCE posted:

1) The ACPI element mentioned in the first post... how much of a performance difference does this make? I'm currently getting a hanging system when I switch my SATA driver over to ACPI in the BIOS. I'm guessing plugging away at drivers/settings might fix it but as the system is currently working, if it's not going to be an obvious speed boost I might just leave it as is. My mobo actually mentioned BSOD on boot over ACPI and offers this advice. Does it sound likely? The cable management off my modular PSU is already a nightmare in my case (it's an HTPC one that has so little room it's unbelievable). It's probably more to do with needing correct drivers/BIOS update but willing to try this if necessary. edit: just realised that AHCI not ACPI... doh.
You get a bluescreen with the BIOS in AHCI mode because the setting in the BIOS doesn't match the settings in Windows. This is normal. Switching over to AHCI mode actually involves changing both. So you adjust these registry settings (Win7) or presumably do this (Win8), shut down the computer, power the computer on and immediately switch over the setting in the BIOS.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Thanks for that link, I'll give that a blast when the next stage of my copy has completed. Cheers!

(I'd be so much on top of this if I hadn't switched to OSX primarily a few years ago, I feel totally out of the loop with regards to Windows and stripping machines down these days!)

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

td4guy posted:

A buddy of mine has a Mac running OS X 10.10.1 Yosemite. He has a 250GB Samsung 840 (neither Pro nor EVO) with 20% not partitioned. Should he worry about enabling TRIM for performance reasons? Or is having that unprovisioned space enough for it to work fine on its own?

Is this the way you're supposed to do the 20% thing? Simply not partition it vs. just don't use it?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Schiavona posted:

Is this the way you're supposed to do the 20% thing? Simply not partition it vs. just don't use it?

Yeah, don't bother with One Weird Formatting Trick, format 100% and just keep an eye on free space, it'll work fine.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

Yeah, don't bother with One Weird Formatting Trick, format 100% and just keep an eye on free space, it'll work fine.
... on a system with TRIM.

This poo poo is in the OP, guys.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

KozmoNaut posted:

New thread title,

SSD Megathread - Housewife discovers One Weird Formatting Trick, makes over $1200 a day from home

I am not a book
Mar 9, 2013
As a follow up from my last question: the difference between SATA and mSATA is that an mSATA drive is only as wide as the connector, while a regular sata drive is about an inch or two wider.
Ended up buying the wrong type from Amazon, now to see if they'll cancel it.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
An Msata drive and sata drive are completely different externally.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip

I am not a book posted:

As a follow up from my last question: the difference between SATA and mSATA is that an mSATA drive is only as wide as the connector, while a regular sata drive is about an inch or two wider.
Ended up buying the wrong type from Amazon, now to see if they'll cancel it.

Uh, did you do any research at all? For your intents and purposes the only similarity between the two is the name.

Boozie
Feb 2, 2013
I just bought a 840 Evo, it sounds like all I need to do is run the 840 EVO Performance Restoration Software after I install it.

Additionally, should I run the Intel SSD Toolbox for an old Intel 320 that I have?

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Boozie posted:

Additionally, should I run the Intel SSD Toolbox for an old Intel 320 that I have?
Sure, maybe you'll get a firmware update or something. It couldn't hurt.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Boozie posted:

I just bought a 840 Evo, it sounds like all I need to do is run the 840 EVO Performance Restoration Software after I install it.
If you're on Windows, you still need the Samsung Magician to run after that to have Rapid mode enabled.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Flipperwaldt posted:

If you're on Windows, you still need the Samsung Magician to run after that to have Rapid mode enabled.

Magician does not have to be running for rapid BTW. You can disable it from startup

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Also, the current form of Magician is annoying. Prior versions allowed you to disable it from running on startup. The new version doesn't give you that option, and you have to manually close it every time.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

That is annoying me quite a bit. I'd assume it's not a good idea to uninstall it completely though?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

therealjon_ posted:

That is annoying me quite a bit. I'd assume it's not a good idea to uninstall it completely though?

It wont hurt anything, you just wont have rapid if its uninstalled.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Also, the current form of Magician is annoying. Prior versions allowed you to disable it from running on startup. The new version doesn't give you that option, and you have to manually close it every time.

Doesn't really bother me now though since it doesnt' prompt UAC anymore.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
Go into msconfig and uncheck samsung magician from the startup tab. RAPID will still work without it. If you're not comfortable with that I think there might be options in CCleaner for clearing out startup bloat.

e: I'm an idiot and forgot it was a scheduled task.

Desuwa fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Dec 3, 2014

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It's in the Task Scheduler now. Weird, huh?

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!
I have an OCZ Vertex 2 as the boot drive in my home desktop. Last night my computer bluescreened and the write of the physical memory dump failed. After rebooting, it no longer was recognized in the BIOS and my system doesn't boot.

I didn't see any warning signs, the health of the drive through CrystalDiskInfo looked fine as recently as last week.

Is... is it dead, Jim?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

You can try leaving your computer sitting idle in the BIOS for 20ish minutes and then rebooting. Though if that works, you better copy all your important things off of it ASAP.

whiskas
May 30, 2005
Is it true that TRIM works in IDE mode?

I have an old nForce motherboard that only has SATA2 ports, and does not have support for AHCI mode. I hooked up my new Intel 730 SSD to it with Windows 8.1, it is forced to run in IDE mode due to my motherboard not having AHCI support. I'm seeing a lot of conflicts online about people saying you must run in AHCI mode to be able to run TRIM, and a lot of other information saying that TRIM will work fine as long as you have a fairly new OS.

eg. People saying that TRIM works in IDE mode:
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2280173
http://www.overclock.net/t/747658/trim-works-in-ide-mode

Also, is it worth running the Intel SSD Optimizer Toolkit on my machine at all?

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Run trim check to see if TRIM is working.

http://files.thecybershadow.net/trimcheck/

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Newegg just sent me an email.

24-Hour special on Intel 730 SSDs.

730 240G for $110
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=20-167-190

730 480G for $200
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=20-167-192

beze
Sep 7, 2005

Now! With 25% More Stupid!

SlayVus posted:

Newegg just sent me an email.

24-Hour special on Intel 730 SSDs.

730 240G for $110
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=20-167-190

730 480G for $200
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=20-167-192

I just bought the 240 gig last night.

beze fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Dec 3, 2014

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

r0ck0 posted:

Run trim check to see if TRIM is working.

http://files.thecybershadow.net/trimcheck/

Trimcheck says trim works fine on my ide mode drive, but whether it can accurately determine that seems kind of questionable.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Naffer posted:

Trimcheck says trim works fine on my ide mode drive, but whether it can accurately determine that seems kind of questionable.

Whats questionable? It says it works. I have used it on a system where trim wasn't working, I installed the correct drivers, tested again and it said trim was working. I think its a pretty reliable test.

http://www.thessdreview.com/daily-news/latest-buzz/trimcheck-does-your-ssd-really-have-trim-working/

https://github.com/CyberShadow/trimcheck

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006
Has anyone got their Far Cry 4 codes yet? My 500gb evo has shipped but no code yet.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Rhaegar posted:

Has anyone got their Far Cry 4 codes yet? My 500gb evo has shipped but no code yet.

My drive came, and it came with a sleeve thing that had a card inside with the code on the inside card. I ordered mine from NewEgg.

Also I knew SSDs were small, but I was not expecting it to be this small.

Potassium Problems
Sep 28, 2001

Rhaegar posted:

I just got my code a few hours ago, my drive was shipped on 11/28

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
Nothing from Amazon yet. Ordered on 11/27. Drive arrived yesterday with nothing else in bubble envelope.

Avulsion posted:

According to Amazon Customer support, people who bought 120GB drives won't be getting Far Cry codes, but if you complain about deceptive advertising they'll put a $5 credit on your account.
I bought a 1TB and factored selling the FC4 copy into the cost so I'll be pissed if they don't send it.

The Joe Man fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Dec 4, 2014

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
According to Amazon Customer support, people who bought 120GB drives won't be getting Far Cry codes, but if you complain about deceptive advertising they'll put a $5 credit on your account.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Avulsion posted:

According to a bunch of posters in this reddit page a whole bunch of people contacted amazon directly during the actual sale and asked if the 120GB qualified for the far cry deal. A lot of them were told yes at the time by Amazon. So that's a big middle finger to a lot of people.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Installed my 840 EVO 1tb, used the samsung cloning software, and have it up and running. The best part about this is how quiet it is. For some reason my WD Black was incredibly loud.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip
Yeah, WD Blacks are known to be loud and power hungry.

Typed that without the WD at first...

jkyuusai
Jun 26, 2008

homegrown man milk
That is the laziest black people joke I've ever heard, and I grew up on a dairy farm in loving Mississippi.

RocketLunatic
May 6, 2005
i love lamp.
I hesitated on the Intel 730 SSD sale on NewEgg yesterday, and now those Crucial M500s are like $30 cheaper for 480gb. I am tempted to give them a shot, but the performance (especially for a Mac) seems dismal. I guess I'll keep waiting.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

Rhaegar posted:

I ordered my 500 gig EVO on Friday and the drive came on Sunday. I got an email with the code about 3 am this morning.

I just cloned my 250 gig EVO to the new drive this morning and got everything else squared away.
The new drive had the EXT0CB6Q firmware on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

quote:

Our SSD Endurance Experiment has left four casualties in its wake so far. Representatives from the Corsair Neutron Series GTX, Intel 335 Series, Kingston HyperX 3K, and Samsung 840 Series all perished to satisfy our curiosity. Each one absorbed far more damage than its official endurance specification promised—and far more than the vast majority of users are likely to inflict.

The last victim fell at 1.2PB, which is barely a speck in the rear-view mirror for our remaining subjects. The 840 Pro and a second HyperX 3K have now reached two freaking petabytes of writes. To put that figure into perspective, the SSDs in my main desktop have logged less than two terabytes of writes over the past couple years. At this rate, it'll take me a thousand years to reach that total.

TWO PB OF WRITES

gently caress

• Locked thread