Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Jiro posted:

The art has always been just amazing

I love Pat Gleason so much.

He's so similar to Doug Mahnke, who I also love and Mahnke will be on Superman/Wonder Woman with Tomasi real shortly. It's bittersweet losing a Charles Soule book for that, but I'm pretty pumped for that combo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

Jiro posted:

Like I've said before the most solid and consistent Bat Book since the farting out of Nu 52 has been Batman and Robin/???????. The art has always been just amazing you get some new-ish over the top villains for them to take down, or redrawn Joker that is miles better than Capulo's take, and fleshed out Damian to a degree where when he finally died it felt like it meant something. Oh and bitchin Bat Armors and Apokolips adventures. And some really good grieving issues after Damian died.

It's overwrought and awful. And at least half the time, the faces on the female characters look straight out of rescue rangers.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I finally got around to reading Batman #36. I understand that Joker cut off his face and he had the crazy looking strapped on face during Death of the Family, but how did he get a normal face, and his old face back? Is this something that happened in Eternal or is this something yet to be explained?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Yet to be explained. The orderly has had these appearances http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/11/12/everything-you-wanted-to-know-about-batmans-eric-border-before-you-read-batman-36/ and then there's #36.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Nov 15, 2014

Bedtime Stories
Jul 28, 2013
Ugh, Eternal is getting harder to defend each passing week. It just seems to be "raising the stakes" every single issue to the point of it becoming ridiculous.

Did Bruce really stockpile military grade weapons in highly populated areas and then send a comparative rookie (who happens to be Alfred's daughter) to shoulder an incredibly deadly mission less than a year after his own son was KIA? Literally how did he not expect both of these things to shoot him in the foot almost immediately? :wtc:

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Bedtime Stories posted:

Ugh, Eternal is getting harder to defend each passing week. It just seems to be "raising the stakes" every single issue to the point of it becoming ridiculous.

Did Bruce really stockpile military grade weapons in highly populated areas and then send a comparative rookie (who happens to be Alfred's daughter) to shoulder an incredibly deadly mission less than a year after his own son was KIA? Literally how did he not expect both of these things to shoot him in the foot almost immediately? :wtc:

Yeah it's almost like this Batman has learned no lesson from War Games....Oh, wait.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
See? In Eternal things happens for the shock value disregarding characterizations or logic. Bruce actions on Eternal are specially jarring when you compares it with the other books he shows in.

On other hand, Batman Superman was pretty drat cool, great setup and excellent art. I loved this page:

Bedtime Stories
Jul 28, 2013
...although I have always liked the "Batman is a dangerous loose canon who can't be trusted by the public/police" interpretation from the Year One era the most, so if Eternal reinstates that status quo for a while I'd be all for it. This "Totally-Not-Iron-Man" thing that's been going on for the entire New 52 is really bad.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Batman and Robin was one giant "badass" scene. The comic was also quite good.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
In honour of Batman being 75 and capitalism being all about excess, DC is putting 750 Batman comics for sale on Black Friday.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Madkal posted:

In honour of Batman being 75 and capitalism being all about excess, DC is putting 750 Batman comics for sale on Black Friday.
I guess they can't let the year slowly end without talking about Batman some more. I assume this sale will extend to comixology though.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

lotus circle posted:

I guess they can't let the year slowly end without talking about Batman some more. I assume this sale will extend to comixology though.

Yep and its the same one they had earlier this year. Bullshit too since they have not added the run that introduced Ra's al Ghul

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
The Batman sale is on Comixology. What are the good Legends of the Dark Knight issues? I got the first three and #1 is about Alfred paying a bunch of crooks to beat up Batman and prove his point? That did not sit well with me.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Schneider Heim posted:

The Batman sale is on Comixology. What are the good Legends of the Dark Knight issues? I got the first three and #1 is about Alfred paying a bunch of crooks to beat up Batman and prove his point? That did not sit well with me.

Issue 32-34 is Blades and it is amazing and has amazing Tim Sale artwork.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Is this a different Legends of the Dark Knight series because I thought it started with Shaman which is kind of a weak Year One coattail rider but nothing at all like that happens in it.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I mean the one that started in 2012, sorry. Both that and the old one are on sale.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Someone read Gotham By Midnight and let me know how it is, TIA

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

irlZaphod posted:

It reads like a poor man's Constantine, then again I'm not a fan neither of this take on Corrigan or the art.

So is Eternal gonna cram every Batman story into itself? And Julia helping went extremely poorly, who would've thought?

:cripes:

Bedtime Stories
Jul 28, 2013
Man, I've been waiting for Bruce's admitting of WayneTech's involvement with Batman to blow up in his face basically since the moment it happened. Such a stupid an unnecessary status quo shift.

So this issue was pretty great for me.

Is Broken City worth the $6 on Comixology right now?

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

I love that story so yeah I'd highly recommend it for $6.

Just bear in mind that it's a much quieter murder mystery kinda story that's very gritty and Miller-ish rather than a more NOTHING WILL EVER BE THE SAME kind of event.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Bedtime Stories posted:

Man, I've been waiting for Bruce's admitting of WayneTech's involvement with Batman to blow up in his face basically since the moment it happened. Such a stupid an unnecessary status quo shift.
Batman Inc, in general, is pretty stupid for this reason. How no one thinks Bruce is Batman is kind of ridiculous when he says he's financing Batman and just so happens to have as many sons as there are Robins.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

lotus circle posted:

Batman Inc, in general, is pretty stupid for this reason. How no one thinks Bruce is Batman is kind of ridiculous when he says he's financing Batman and just so happens to have as many sons as there are Robins.
You must really hate every Superman comic huh.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Senor Candle posted:

You must really hate every Superman comic huh.
I have come to accept and live with the glasses. Plus the "posture" explanation helps as well :v:

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

lotus circle posted:

I have come to accept and live with the glasses. Plus the "posture" explanation helps as well :v:

Think of it like Iron Man, would the average guy think billionaire Bruce Wayne would risk his life being Batman or pay a series of guys to be Batman? And now that 1% prick has bought each of his spoiled little poo poo kids an underage poor child to be a Robin? Occupy Gotham.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

lotus circle posted:

To be fair, there's no indication that he actually adopted Dick, Jason or Tim on the N52.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

irlZaphod posted:

It was fun, and the art, while fairly indistinct in a lot of spots, was atmospheric as all heck. Great coloring. Honestly, I enjoyed it, but I don't know if it hooked me hard enough to keep me reading for more than a few issues; it was good but I don't know if it was 'spend money' good, if that makes any sense.

tenniseveryone
Feb 8, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER

irlZaphod posted:

It was okay! Ben Templesmith's art is getting easier to follow, and having him teamed with a decent writer's always the key with getting the best out of him. Not a particularly showy first issue but the introduction of more supernatural stuff to Gotham is...interesting? Might be worth waiting for the trade to see how this first storyline pans out, and how far they take the spooky stuff. I like how it seems to spinning off the occult things Snyder's been hinting at, and have been appearing in Arkham Manor and Gotham Academy.

Oh, and side note: I went to the Thought Bubble convention in Leeds last week, which included a Gotham panel with Snyder, Brendan Flectcher, Cameron Stewart, Babs Tarr and Becky Cloonan. Super interesting, apparently the lot of them (and possibly the Manor people) are all going to meet up soon to see how better to interconnect their books, which sounds fun?

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

lotus circle posted:

I don't really have a problem with this; it's very silly, but then lots of things about Batman are. I had a much bigger issue with Year One where everyone goes "oh, of course Batman is Bruce Wayne!", because while that's obviously what would actually happen having it happen in the world of the comics put a great deal of strain on the whole thing to me. I sort of feel the same way about lots of attempts to make Batman feel more realistic than it ever could be, such as the times when a comic has to pretend "Edward Nygma" is a totally sensible name.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
I kind of want to check out Gotham Adventures...it looks fun and I really miss TAS sometimes. Any recommendations there?

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Zoe posted:

I kind of want to check out Gotham Adventures...it looks fun and I really miss TAS sometimes. Any recommendations there?
DC recently released a new trade with the first ten issues, but the printing quality is old so you won't get any digital coloring. Apart from that comixology has tons of issues. Is there anything you're looking for in particular in terms of characters who appear?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Zoe posted:

Not lying, the Adventures line was great from beginning to end. You could reasonably pick up any issue and have a good time. The final version of the series, Batman Adventures, was more into longer-term plotting than what came before, and there is a lot of Riddler gold to be found. The Batman Adventures, Batman & Robin Adventures, and Batman: Gotham Adventures are more like the original show, with more standalone issues. You really can't go wrong anywhere in the mix.

Hal_2005
Feb 23, 2007

lotus circle posted:

I approximate it to the Koch brothers and their kids, or Sergi Brin's pet projects. Yes, you know Sergi does a bunch of computer code work, hes the visionary of Google, while Larry runs the thing. But honestly, aside from the carefully controlled projects or press packets, these guys usually have a small army of press editors & PR firms to trawl the internet + media for any sort of gossip. How many photos of the Brin kids or Koch grandkids do you see on the internet ? While Brin outright said he was going to donate his time to study AI and self driving cars, did anyone bother to pick up he's an advisor to the national security council of Eschelon ? I'm guessing not. Can any goon name 4 projects Ed Koch or Zuckerburg do on their off hours ? Fwd.US doesn't count.

Hell, a bunch of guys are going on Seal training with Pershing Square. And thats the tame end of the spectrum.

Now before we have a full spergout and someone says "Hal_2005" you're being creepy again, go see what you can find on Lawrence Steinberg. If you follow Wall St gossip you may hear about Bruce Wayne once or twice a year, maybe a photo of him in his 20's. But in nu52, I'd wager very few people are aware of his wards, and fewer still could pick Bruce Wayne out of a line at a Gotham Starbucks.

Hal_2005 fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Nov 29, 2014

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

redbackground posted:

Not lying, the Adventures line was great from beginning to end. You could reasonably pick up any issue and have a good time. The final version of the series, Batman Adventures, was more into longer-term plotting than what came before, and there is a lot of Riddler gold to be found. The Batman Adventures, Batman & Robin Adventures, and Batman: Gotham Adventures are more like the original show, with more standalone issues. You really can't go wrong anywhere in the mix.

I just grabbed the first six issues to check it out and yeah, they were pretty great. I would've gotten more but I also discovered Mega Man comics were a thing that exists, so now I am poor but my inner 10 year old is very happy.

Is Adventures always 99 cents or are they just on sale now? I definitely want to pick up some more after payday.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Zoe posted:

I just grabbed the first six issues to check it out and yeah, they were pretty great. I would've gotten more but I also discovered Mega Man comics were a thing that exists, so now I am poor but my inner 10 year old is very happy.

Is Adventures always 99 cents or are they just on sale now? I definitely want to pick up some more after payday.
Yeah Adventures is always 99 cents. Select issues go on sale every so often, like Mad Love, but otherwise it's all a dollar.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

"Batman Eternal" sale including Rucka & N52 Batwoman, Steph Brown Batgirl and Morrison Batman & Robin.
https://www.comixology.com/World-of-Batman-Eternal-Sale/page/4483?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9kZXNrdG9wL2xhcmdlQ2Fyb3VzZWw

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
I guess this all but confirms Dr. Hurt will be appearing in Eternal, judging by those Batman and Robin issues on sale.

(I can't actually recall if he has appeared yet but I'm going to wager a "no.")

Kind of weird to put Batwing on sale but also include the David Zavimbe issues. Not that I'm complaining because the book was far more interesting with David.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Maybe Damian's gonna pop in like Robin Rises happened between two issues.

e: If I needed to hype up Dr Hurt I'd use Batman RIP issues rather than all of B&R.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Dec 2, 2014

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

lotus circle posted:

I guess this all but confirms Dr. Hurt will be appearing in Eternal, judging by the fact that he is a character that existed at a point in Bat-history.

ftfy.

Seriously that's the barrier to entry for Eternal.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Teenage Fansub posted:

Maybe Damian's gonna pop in like Robin Rises happened between two issues.
I don't know about that. Damian was still dead when Eternal was being planned out and while Tomasi might have informed Snyder and co. about the resurrection plans, I can't see him wanting to hand the reigns over too soon when Damian is just coming out of revival. A weekly like this has been in the works for a long time. Similar reasons are why we haven't seen Dick Grayson -- Snyder and the rest were probably planning out Eternal under the assumption that Dick would be dead for real or in hiding. The Agent of Spyral angle was added in hap-hazardously, as one can tell from all the delays Forever Evil and Nightwing 30 suffered, with the latter being handed between three creative teams and one team having drawn out the entire issue in pencils before they got ousted by editorial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I was being facetious, but Tomasi was put on the Eternal reigns months ago when he obviously had to drop plans for Carrie Kelley. I'm assuming because of Snyder n' co's induction of Julia Pennyworth making the batcave a bit too full of young ladies.

I wonder if they'll even try to make it work out logically. All of Robin Rises, including a future issue of B&R (judging by the solicited cover) take place while they use the batcave. Meanwhile the Batman slightly into the future in 'Batman' presumably still doesn't have access to the manor.

e: I looked up Peter Tomasi's Twitter and he'd posted what the French collections look like.
Jeeeez

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Dec 2, 2014

• Locked thread